Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
aGoodRead
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

JdiennoPSU wrote:

I just started reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane today.  Only a few pages in but good so far!

That's great i've been thinking about picking that up, Did you by any  chance get it cause you saw the movie? Or if any1 has read this and seen the movie is there any big differences. I am sure the book is better it almost always is but just curious about the differences

"Life is short might as well read something good while going through it."
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

No i haven't seen the movie yet as i always like to read the books first.  To be honest the only reason why i bought it was because it was on sale in the B&N eBooks store.  HaHa.  So far it is really good! 

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

An Inconvenient Wife  Just started this one after reading another one in a day (that doesn't happen too often for me!). Anyhoo, haven't heard a hoot about this tale so why not give it a try?!

I haven't heard much either.  What's the premise?  Tell us what you're thinking - is it a good one? 

Stephanie
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Hi Stephanie, I did like it. I read it in two days which is unusual for me. Basically, I guess the premise would how a woman's life is affected by medicine's ignorance of a woman's body --the uterus is the cause of women's problems and the means physician's would take to "cure" these women.  Oddly enough, I'd just read the book and then was watching The View yesterday and they were interviewing the author's of the book Flow   and they mentioned many of the treatments and theories that occured during these times.

Although, I wouldn't call it my favorite book I did like it.

Stephanie wrote:

pjpick wrote:

An Inconvenient Wife  Just started this one after reading another one in a day (that doesn't happen too often for me!). Anyhoo, haven't heard a hoot about this tale so why not give it a try?!

I haven't heard much either.  What's the premise?  Tell us what you're thinking - is it a good one? 

Contributor
nhbookfan
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Shutter Island, which only took me like a week, and now I'm back to reading The Piano Teacher. I'm a little over 150 pages into it. it's set in Hong Kong during WWII. The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee: Book Cover

Contributor
aGoodRead
0 Kudos

nhbookfan wrote:

I just finished reading Shutter Island, which only took me like a week, and now I'm back to reading The Piano Teacher. I'm a little over 150 pages into it. it's set in Hong Kong during WWII. gThe Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee: Book Cover

So whats your take on Shutter Island any good. like i said above im interested in maybe getting it but not sure is it worth a pick up.

"Life is short might as well read something good while going through it."
Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
0 Kudos

I have given up on City of God by E.L. Doctorow. Although I enjoyed his book, The March, COG is just all over the place & I don't care for it.

I'm going to start reading To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. My other book club will be discussing it next month. I downloaded it onto my Kindle for free! I've never read Virginia Woolf & am excited to read one of her books.

To the Lighthouse 

Cathy

CR: To the Lighthouse

JR: City of God (DNF), A Reliable Wife, The Promised World

TBR: The Book Thief

Contributor
nhbookfan
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Shutter Island this past weekend, and let me tell you.......there is a wicked twist at the end, and it makes you go "huh?"

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!!

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

I can't find Exposing the Hidden Things anywhere.

Reader 4
VW-Johnny
0 Kudos

I just finished City of Thieves by David Benioff.  It was a fantastic, but fairly quick read.  I happened to be in a B&N and saw it on the shelves.  I read through the synopsis and decided I would download it to the Nook.  A lot of stuff here that I never really thought about for Russia in World War 2.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Out Stealing Horses  i read this one Norway during WW2..You might enjoy it.Great writing style,great story..VermontCozy

VW-Johnny wrote:

I just finished City of Thieves by David Benioff.  It was a fantastic, but fairly quick read.  I happened to be in a B&N and saw it on the shelves.  I read through the synopsis and decided I would download it to the Nook.  A lot of stuff here that I never really thought about for Russia ww2

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Vermontcozy wrote:

Out Stealing Horses  i read this one Norway during WW2..You might enjoy it.Great writing style,great story..VermontCozy

VW-Johnny wrote:

I just finished City of Thieves by David Benioff.  It was a fantastic, but fairly quick read.  I happened to be in a B&N and saw it on the shelves.  I read through the synopsis and decided I would download it to the Nook.  A lot of stuff here that I never really thought about for Russia ww2

I agree about Out Stealing Horses, Susan!  I resonated with the story, perhaps because the protagonist is close to my own age -- child at the time of time of WWII.  It has some unexpected elements that somehow seem very Scandinavian -- whatever that is.  The translation seems well done, too.

VW-Johnny -- is City of Thieves the book people are talking about as reminding us of the role and sacrifices of Russia in "winning" the war against the Germans in WWII?

I finished this one last night.  At first I did not like it, and still there were parts that were irritating: sentences that seemed to repeat one detail the essentially same way ten too many times (like Olive's size or the surface of the ocean or river), other details, details, details that sometimes rasped and sometimes enriched the story -- and I couldn't always tell why one reaction rather than the other.  But, in all, I think this is a book that will haunt me and whose main character, Olive, I will not readily forget, along with several of the supporting characters and their stories. It is another book whose setting is primarily Maine.

Olive Kitteridge  by Elizabeth Strout, Pulitzer Prize, Fiction (2009)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Hi Stephanie, I did like it. I read it in two days which is unusual for me. Basically, I guess the premise would how a woman's life is affected by medicine's ignorance of a woman's body --the uterus is the cause of women's problems and the means physician's would take to "cure" these women.  Oddly enough, I'd just read the book and then was watching The View yesterday and they were interviewing the author's of the book Flow   and they mentioned many of the treatments and theories that occured during these times.

Although, I wouldn't call it my favorite book I did like it.

Stephanie wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Wow - sounds like it was a page turner.  I'll have to give it a look. Well-researched historical fiction, then?

Stephanie
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Norway, 1940  To Peppermill and V-WJohnny Yes Out Stealing Horses is a wonder book..I was intrigued by what had occurred in Nowway during the war,i took out from my Library,"Norway 1940",just for certain facts..His new book( per petterson  )is due out soon,I read something on twitter,but the name was a secret,,Must find out....vtc  Susan

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I Curse the River of Time   Release Date Aug 3rd 2010..I.can't wait...Vtc

KathyS
0 Kudos

What are you reading? - Brava Valentine

[ Edited ]

Brava, Valentine  

I was shopping at Target today, and saw this for a great price...had to have it! Can't wait to see what Valentine is up to next! 

Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
0 Kudos

Finished To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I give it a 3 out of 5. It did ramble on at times. Glad I finished it, though.

Will start The Book Thief by Markus Zusak tonight. Very much looking forward to that.

The Book Thief 

Cathy

CR: The Book Thief

JR: To the Lighthouse, City of God (DNF), A Reliable Wife

TBR: Who knows??

KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi, Cathy! 

I was just wondering, how many Virginia Woolf books/novels have you read?

She does appear to ramble, at times, but that rambling does have meaning.  She's like listening to a symphony orchestra.  You don't always hear every instrument in that arrangement, but there is a reason for their being there.  Or you can call it a counter melody.  If you listen closely, it feels like more than one person talking at once.  I'm glad you gave it at least a 3!  :smileyhappy:  I'm sorry you weren't happy with Lisa's novel.  I would have enjoyed talking to you about it.

Kathy

Purpyl wrote:

Finished To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I give it a 3 out of 5. It did ramble on at times. Glad I finished it, though.

Will start The Book Thief by Markus Zusak tonight. Very much looking forward to that.

The Book Thief 

Cathy

Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
0 Kudos

This was actually the first & only Virginia Woolf book I've read. I had been forwarned that there wasn't much of a plot. I have, I believe, Haunted House on my Kindle & plan to read it some time in the future. (I have over 100 books on it, so I'm not sure when I'll get to HH.)

Have you read Haunted House? Did you like it?

Cathy

KathyS wrote:

Hi, Cathy! 

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

No, sorry, I haven't read this one.  

A Haunted House and Other Short Stories 

What made you want to read VW?

Kathy

Purpyl wrote:

This was actually the first & only Virginia Woolf book I've read. I had been forwarned that there wasn't much of a plot. I have, I believe, Haunted House on my Kindle & plan to read it some time in the future. (I have over 100 books on it, so I'm not sure when I'll get to HH.)

Have you read Haunted House? Did you like it?

Cathy

KathyS wrote:

Hi, Cathy! 

Kathy