Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

im reading:

Orcs

And:

The Walking Dead Volume 11

The second one is an "adult" comic that my cousin got me into... it is soooooo good.  graphic but good.  I haven't read comics since my youth and this brings back many memories even if there is a lot more "gore" even though it is in B&W

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Contributor
mariaev
0 Kudos

I just picked up "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. I've heard many good things about this book....looking forward to start reading it tonight.

The Help  

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading? - Brava, Valentine

[ Edited ]

Had to finish this book this weekend....I couldn't put it down!  I laughed, I smiled, I grinned, I cried.  I was elated, I was deflated. I was stunned.  I was captured and touched by the wisdom in the words..... I was taken all over hill and dale with my emotions....and back again.  I think Adriana Trigiani captured it all in this one!.....she has you going up until the last page!  But, I still want to hear more!  There was a couple of glitches in the writing, but I'm not discounting it because of that...did I forget to say, I love this one!  :smileyhappy:

KathyS wrote:

Brava, Valentine  

I was shopping at Target today, and saw this for a great price...had to have it! Can't wait to see what Valentine is up to next! 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I'll email Adriana and see if she's up for another discussion.  This was a great endorsement!

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

I'll email Adriana and see if she's up for another discussion.  This was a great endorsement!

Great!  I'd love to tell her in person....I think you'll love this one, too.  Too: As in::: as much as I did.  And Too:  As much as the book, Very Valentine.  It's hard for me to keep from talking about this story. 

Remember in VV, we talked about creativity, and how Valentine expressed it in her thoughts?  There is one sentence in this new book that blew me away..[I won't quote it].  I understand it so well, now.  I hate to keep saying I identify with these main characters, but Valentine is that creative part of me.  I totally understand her thinking along those lines. 

Or maybe it's Adriana's thinking I understand...who knows!  :smileyvery-happy:  I've got to ask her! (that is, if I don't get shy)  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Wolf Hall  I'm enjoying it, though I'm not very far into it, yet.  I will be visiting my Mom over the spring break/Easter holiday and hope to get some reading done.  So, I want to finish Wolf Hall, and

The Thirty-Nine Steps  at the very least.  I also have 

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Series #1)   and 

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Trilogy Series #2)

to take with me.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12,

The Thirty-Nine Steps This one sounds familiar. Do you know if it was on Masterpiece Theatre not too long ago?

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just finished: 

The Poacher's Son 

For First Look and I'm going to start

Caught 

can't wait-love him

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I just started Christopher Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends. I've been meaning to read him for a while now, and the combination of my recent vampire kick (I've read the Twilight novels and all the Sookie Stackhouse books) and the release of Bite Me prompted me to start the first book in his vampire trilogy.

Bloodsucking Fiends

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

basson_mommy12,

The Thirty-Nine Steps This one sounds familiar. Do you know if it was on Masterpiece Theatre not too long ago?

There was a new BBC adaptation in 2008, but I don't know that it ever aired on Masterpiece Theatre.

39 Steps  

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

pjpick wrote:

basson_mommy12,

There was a new BBC adaptation in 2008, but I don't know that it ever aired on Masterpiece Theatre.

39 Steps  

There it is! It was on about a month ago maybe? I remember the lead actor was also in one of the Persuasion versions. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

Contributor
Cesspria
0 Kudos

Secrets of Eden  

I just started it last night. I love Chris Bohjalian's writing, it is just sucking me in.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Fierce People  Picked this one up on the swap sometime last year. I think someone on BN was reading it. I'm only on chapter 3 but I really like the author's writing style. This isn't my normal type of read.

Contributor
nhbookfan
0 Kudos

I was out of work last week, and I read

Sarah's Key 

Right now I am reading

Glassblower of Murano 

and I am also reading

Anna Karenina (Pevear / Volokhonsky Translation) 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

What did you think of Sarah's Key ? 

Stephanie
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

What did you think of Sarah's Key ? 

I know this wasn't directed at me but I LOVED Sarah's Key. I'm a night nurse and stayed up through my sleeping time because I couldn't put it down. I e-mailed de Rosnay and told her it was her fault that I was at work deprived because I was reading this wonderful book. She wrote back which I thought was incredibly nice.

Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
0 Kudos

The Book Thief  

I finished The Book Thief. So good. Loved the narration.

A Thousand Splendid Suns 

Finished this one, too. Fabulous. This is a book that will stick with me.

The Ghost 

Now reading The Ghost. I never do this, but I downloaded this book onto my Kindle AFTER seeing the movie. I realize I already know how it will end (assuming the ending wasn't changed), but there were details I missed or didn't pay enough attention to in the movie & I wanted to read the book. So far, excellent & 95% following movie.

Cathy

CR: The Ghost

JR: A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Book Thief

TBR: Who knows...?

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Purpyl, Liked both of these reads and enjoyed The Ghost Writer movie. Excellent choices.

PJPICK

Purpyl wrote:

The Book Thief  

I finished The Book Thief. So good. Loved the narration.

A Thousand Splendid Suns 

Finished this one, too. Fabulous. This is a book that will stick with me.

The Ghost 

Now reading The Ghost. I never do this, but I downloaded this book onto my Kindle AFTER seeing the movie. I realize I already know how it will end (assuming the ending wasn't changed), but there were details I missed or didn't pay enough attention to in the movie & I wanted to read the book. So far, excellent & 95% following movie.

Cathy

CR: The Ghost

JR: A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Book Thief

TBR: Who knows...?

Peppermill
0 Kudos

I posted on the Community Room's thread on Current Reads a bit ago this novel which I finished today:

The Last Summer of Reason  by Tahar Djaout, assassinated in Algeria in 1993. 

It is very short, only 145 pages, and, albeit it was unfinished at his death, I found it very powerful. 

See my Community Room post for more (I'm not sure how to link it here, or I would).  Or, ask and I will copy it here.

It is the story of a bookseller's awareness of increasing threats to his safety and his life as the society around him, including his own family, accepts intolerant values.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy