Reply
Frequent Contributor
WestchesterRFranks
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

[ Edited ]

yes, surely a delight to see these posts

 

You wrote:

Always sounds good when i see posts on the North Road House story -------------------------------

 

 

------------------------------------------------- VickiMasterMind wrote: -----------------dhaupt wrote: Henry Paul GoatAllen at the Paranormal and Sci-Fi board liked this one too, looks like a great bet for all you horror fans. Just reading the blurb gave me chills, brrrrr Thanks for mentioning it!! And welcome to the club!!!!

 

Encounter at North Road House. What happens when a brutal masked-psycho enters a house looking for another victim, but this house happens to be haunted by vicious ghosts, no one lives there, and the plan backfires? The masked psycho gets locked in and goes to war with the haunted house.


 

Thanks Wendy, I just haven't convinced myself to get this yet. Not sure how scared silly I want to be between the pages of a book.

 

Debbie,

 

Debbie, have you found the courage yet to dive right into this book?  I'm Scared to death on some parts!  Scary is not even the word to describe this fiction.  Curiosity kills the cat, i know :smileyvery-happy:


 

wow it looks like this book does make it around. About a month ago someone posted it on the teen board thread called The Ultimate Book Recommendation List.

 

This is what Edison43 said about it

"I highly recommend Encounter at North Road House.  When a masked, unbeatable psycho-killer enters a house to take more lives, the house that he enters is haunted by inhuman creatures and ghosts, who shut him in. 

 

The masked-psycho thought he was moving on another ordinary house - but what he enters into is a haunted realm.  The best thing about this book is who is the predator and who is the prey?  This one just came out and highly recommended."

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you reading?

[ Edited ]

WestchesterRFranks wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

My daughter just this morning returned #15 and #16 to me, which I haven't read yet!  She said #15 was okay...she liked #16 much better.  I'm getting so far behind on my reading of my favorite authors, now that I've started reading new ones....I can't read fast enough....I can't win....GRRRRR!!!!


 

Ah but what a way to loose, by having too much to read.

 


 

Oh, ya, I agree totally.


 

No, it just upsets me, and frustrates me, to no end

seeing these faces, as an old  friend

sitting, and huddled 

waiting, and befuddled

Pick me!  Pick me!

Hold me!  Hold me!

feeling neglect,

I didn't select...

 

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I was fortunate to get an early reader copy of this from Library Thing

 

 

In Harm's Way (Walt Fleming Series #4) 

 

check out my review here at B&N or on my blog

 

Ridley is a local author that I love to read he lives in St. Louis

Contributor
Brainylainy
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎07-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

:smileyvery-happy: I just finished Therapy: A Novel by Harrie Rose and wrote a review of it on b&n.  It is a great choice for a book club because so  many of the issues it raises are as arguable as issues tend to be in real life.  My review says a lot, so I won't repeat it here. I definitely recommend it.

 

I'm just beginning Zusak's The Book Thief and it's already got me hooked.

Contributor
Brainylainy
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎07-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Therapy: A Novel and wrote a long review about it. I recommend it, especially to women, but my husband, who reads only spy thrillers and things like that, actually picked it up and seems to be liking it! 

 

If any of you have read it -- or if you do read it-- I'd like to talk about it, especially, how did you feel about Alex?  Did he treat Barbara right? Why do you think he left California to come to Providence, Rhode Island? 

 

There's a lot more to discuss, but that's a start.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

 

Therapy, A Novel  by Harrie Rose

 

 

I see you are a new user, Brainylainy, but maybe you could figure out how to give us a link to your review on B&N.  (Try the little links on the edit line.)

 

I added this image and link by using the "Add Product" feature.  I will check out that location and see if I can identify your review.

 

Thx!  Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
Brainylainy
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎07-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I  really don't know how to navigate the B&N site yet. I see I accidentally made a second post about what I'm reading.  I wrote my review on the page that advertises Therapy:A Novel. There's a button for adding a review. I imagine if you go to where the book is listef for sale and click on reviews, you'd find the review.  At least, that's how it works on Amazon.  I was ondering how you put book covers and emoticons or widgets on a review or comment.  Anyway, I did see that the Harrie Rose novel is only $9.49, mark down from $12.98.  That's a good price for such a good read;

Contributor
cwiley1
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎06-23-2010

Re: What are you reading?

I finally finished True Colors by Kristin Hannah while on vacation.  It was a great read and a good vacation read.   Now I am on to The Pact by Jodi Picoult.  Her books a so good, but they aren't an easy read for me.   Sometimes I have to put them down for a few days.

After these two books I will have to find something sweet & easy  to read...Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts maybe even Nicholas Sparks.

While on vacations we stayed just a few houses down from where they filmed Nights in Rodanthe.   Maybe I will reread that. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

 


Brainylainy wrote:

I  really don't know how to navigate the B&N site yet. I see I accidentally made a second post about what I'm reading.  I wrote my review on the page that advertises Therapy:A Novel. There's a button for adding a review. I imagine if you go to where the book is listef for sale and click on reviews, you'd find the review.  At least, that's how it works on Amazon.  I was ondering how you put book covers and emoticons or widgets on a review or comment.  Anyway, I did see that the Harrie Rose novel is only $9.49, mark down from $12.98.  That's a good price for such a good read;


 

 

Use add product to put a book cover on these posts.

 

Please click on the link above (my previous post) for Therapy: A Novel, and see if you access your review.

 

I didn't.  There were none posted.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished:

 

 

Outside the Ordinary World 

 

you can read my review here at B&N or of course on my blog

 

I'm starting the sneak peek for Sci-Fi 

 

Antiphon 

 

the discussions start today, it's the third in his series. Very good even if you're not a fan of fantasy.

 

Then for pleasure I'm reading 

 

Hurricanes in Paradise 

 

just started it, but so far very good.

Wordsmith
wheeze
Posts: 331
Registered: ‎05-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


cwiley1 wrote:

I finally finished True Colors by Kristin Hannah while on vacation.  It was a great read and a good vacation read.   Now I am on to The Pact by Jodi Picoult.  Her books a so good, but they aren't an easy read for me.   Sometimes I have to put them down for a few days.

After these two books I will have to find something sweet & easy  to read...Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts maybe even Nicholas Sparks.

While on vacations we stayed just a few houses down from where they filmed Nights in Rodanthe.   Maybe I will reread that. :smileyhappy:


 

Man, both The Pact and True Colors are some of my favorite books.. Good choices! I agree with Jodi Picoult's books. They take a lot of energy to get though, but in a good way!

 

 

 

Just Started The Outcast over the weekend, so far so good..

 

The Outcast 

 

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

 


KathyS wrote:

WestchesterRFranks wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

My daughter just this morning returned #15 and #16 to me, which I haven't read yet!  She said #15 was okay...she liked #16 much better.  I'm getting so far behind on my reading of my favorite authors, now that I've started reading new ones....I can't read fast enough....I can't win....GRRRRR!!!!


 

Ah but what a way to loose, by having too much to read.

 


 

Oh, ya, I agree totally.


 

No, it just upsets me, and frustrates me, to no end

seeing these faces, as an old  friend

sitting, and huddled 

waiting, and befuddled

Pick me!  Pick me!

Hold me!  Hold me!

feeling neglect,

I didn't select...

 

 


 

This made me laugh. Love the graphcis. It is so true!!!

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished 

 

Hurricanes in Paradise 

 

If you like inspirational romance/love stories. You will like this

here's my review http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1432209

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


dhaupt wrote:

I just finished 

 

Hurricanes in Paradise 

 

If you like inspirational romance/love stories. You will like this

here's my review http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1432209


 

 

 

Debbie, when do you get the time to read so many books?....I swear, you must read one a day!  How do you select these odd assortment of books...I've never heard of this author?  Are you on a publisher's reading list?

Do you have time to talk to your husband?  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

The Passage - Finished, and Critically Critiqued

I finally finished The Passage!  Boy, oh boy, that was a killer read...it killed my hands and my wrist!  I'm not sure if I'm going to read the sequels, if they come out this size! 

I propped this book up on a pillow, to bring it up to where my bifocal could focus on the words, then it kept slipping off the pillow, and when that happened, I would tweak my wrist to pull it back up.  There was no comfortable way to hold this book.  That could have been some of my discomfort in reading this story.

 

I do think this book could have been cut down a bit....some of it was just too wordy, with info that didn't matter to the story.  I mentioned to Paul that this writer,  Justin Cronin, was a wonderful writer, but I have to say that there is something missing in his writing.  I think it had to do with his character development, but in saying that, it's more like I couldn't get to know them well enough, to get some of their motives. I lost track of who some of these character's were, and what importance they played in the whole of the story.  They seemed almost like stand-ins, in a movie. 

 

Some of these characters honestly didn't have enough emotional definition. Even though they were defined, in physical features, and their history as an individual in the story,  their emotional separation lost them to me.  One character felt almost the same as the other.  Usually when this happens, you can't identify with a character, and you're only moved/motivated through the story by the definition of the action they create for themselves, within the context of the story.

 

This writing is a combination of poetic prose, and straight prose.  It's an interesting combination, but  I felt it was a bit distracting from the story line...I had to ask:  What purpose did it serve the reader, although beautiful at times.

 

The last third of the book was fast paced, and I was finally able to read it without falling asleep.  Partly do to the meds I have to take.  I was constantly eating throughout my reading of this book, just to keep awake at times.  But, I must say, it had some good action in it, but some of which I couldn't follow.  I  also got lost in the years that this whole book encompasses.  I thought the dating system was ridiculous, to be honest, it made no sense to 'start over'....other than to put it into a scifi genre.  It felt like a gimmick.

 

The girl, Amy, was who I was interested in the most.  I felt her character was developed a bit better.   Her relationship with Wolgast left me in tears....

 

The ending was an ending that definitely needs a sequel(s) to finish it.....I wanted to cry, but didn't, because I'm not sure what will happen to these characters.  It seems like you get somewhat close/used to a main character, then something happens to them.  Maybe, for this reason, I didn't want to get close to them.

 

Well, that's my critical critique on this book.  I honestly would have a hard time recommending it....unless you have an Ereader.

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: The Passage - Finished, and Critically Critiqued

 


KathyS wrote:

I finally finished The Passage!  Boy, oh boy, that was a killer read...it killed my hands and my wrist!  I'm not sure if I'm going to read the sequels, if they come out this size! 

I propped this book up on a pillow, to bring it up to where my bifocal could focus on the words, then it kept slipping off the pillow, and when that happened, I would tweak my wrist to pull it back up.  There was no comfortable way to hold this book.  That could have been some of my discomfort in reading this story.

 

I do think this book could have been cut down a bit....some of it was just too wordy, with info that didn't matter to the story.  I mentioned to Paul that this writer,  Justin Cronin, was a wonderful writer, but I have to say that there is something missing in his writing.  I think it had to do with his character development, but in saying that, it's more like I couldn't get to know them well enough, to get some of their motives. I lost track of who some of these character's were, and what importance they played in the whole of the story.  They seemed almost like stand-ins, in a movie. 

 

Some of these characters honestly didn't have enough emotional definition. Even though they were defined, in physical features, and their history as an individual in the story,  their emotional separation lost them to me.  One character felt almost the same as the other.  Usually when this happens, you can't identify with a character, and you're only moved/motivated through the story by the definition of the action they create for themselves, within the context of the story.

 

This writing is a combination of poetic prose, and straight prose.  It's an interesting combination, but  I felt it was a bit distracting from the story line...I had to ask:  What purpose did it serve the reader, although beautiful at times.

 

The last third of the book was fast paced, and I was finally able to read it without falling asleep.  Partly do to the meds I have to take.  I was constantly eating throughout my reading of this book, just to keep awake at times.  But, I must say, it had some good action in it, but some of which I couldn't follow.  I  also got lost in the years that this whole book encompasses.  I thought the dating system was ridiculous, to be honest, it made no sense to 'start over'....other than to put it into a scifi genre.  It felt like a gimmick.

 

The girl, Amy, was who I was interested in the most.  I felt her character was developed a bit better.   Her relationship with Wolgast left me in tears....

 

The ending was an ending that definitely needs a sequel(s) to finish it.....I wanted to cry, but didn't, because I'm not sure what will happen to these characters.  It seems like you get somewhat close/used to a main character, then something happens to them.  Maybe, for this reason, I didn't want to get close to them.

 

Well, that's my critical critique on this book.  I honestly would have a hard time recommending it....unless you have an Ereader.

 


 

 

Kathy I am on a couple of publishers list so I do get a variety of different books, plus I troll the web looking for interesting books, author give-a-ways etc.

 

now onto the Passage: I first want to give my opinion of your comment here-

I do think this book could have been cut down a bit....some of it was just too wordy, with info that didn't matter to the story.  I mentioned to Paul that this writer,  Justin Cronin, was a wonderful writer, but I have to say that there is something missing in his writing.  I think it had to do with his character development, but in saying that, it's more like I couldn't get to know them well enough, to get some of their motives. I lost track of who some of these character's were, and what importance they played in the whole of the story.  They seemed almost like stand-ins, in a movie. 

 

Some of these characters honestly didn't have enough emotional definition. Even though they were defined, in physical features, and their history as an individual in the story,  their emotional separation lost them to me.  One character felt almost the same as the other.  Usually when this happens, you can't identify with a character, and you're only moved/motivated through the story by the definition of the action they create for themselves, within the context of the story.

I think that Justin on purpose left the character development out of this first of his trilogy, think of it, the world has just been destroyed and now it's overrun with blood sucking all flesh consuming creatures out to eliminate the human population - I think the human population is sort of in a trans, on purpose they lack emotional definition sort of like post apocalyptic Stepford Wives. Even 90 something years later it's almost like the first humans on earth and they think they're the last. And that's exactly why Amy's character is better developed then the rest of the population, she's Eve.

Those are my thoughts.

Oh and I will definitely read the next episode in the Vampires vs the Humans

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you reading?

 


KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I just finished 

 

Hurricanes in Paradise 

 

If you like inspirational romance/love stories. You will like this

here's my review http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1432209


 

 

 

Debbie, when do you get the time to read so many books?....I swear, you must read one a day!  How do you select these odd assortment of books...I've never heard of this author?  Are you on a publisher's reading list?

Do you have time to talk to your husband?  :smileyhappy:


 

I read about 4 books a week Kathy and after 30 years of marriage what's left to talk about.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

 


dhaupt wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I just finished 

 

Hurricanes in Paradise 

 

If you like inspirational romance/love stories. You will like this

here's my review http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1432209


 

 

 

Debbie, when do you get the time to read so many books?....I swear, you must read one a day!  How do you select these odd assortment of books...I've never heard of this author?  Are you on a publisher's reading list?

Do you have time to talk to your husband?  :smileyhappy:


 

I read about 4 books a week Kathy and after 30 years of marriage what's left to talk about.

 


 

Love your comment.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Passage - Finished, and Critically Critiqued


dhaupt wrote:

 

Kathy I am on a couple of publishers list so I do get a variety of different books, plus I troll the web looking for interesting books, author give-a-ways etc., now onto the Passage: I first want to give my opinion of your comment here-

I do think this book could have been cut down a bit....some of it was just too wordy, with info that didn't matter to the story.  I mentioned to Paul that this writer,  Justin Cronin, was a wonderful writer, but I have to say that there is something missing in his writing.  I think it had to do with his character development, but in saying that, it's more like I couldn't get to know them well enough, to get some of their motives. I lost track of who some of these character's were, and what importance they played in the whole of the story.  They seemed almost like stand-ins, in a movie. 

 

Some of these characters honestly didn't have enough emotional definition. Even though they were defined, in physical features, and their history as an individual in the story,  their emotional separation lost them to me.  One character felt almost the same as the other.  Usually when this happens, you can't identify with a character, and you're only moved/motivated through the story by the definition of the action they create for themselves, within the context of the story.

 

I think that Justin on purpose left the character development out of this first of his trilogy, think of it, the world has just been destroyed and now it's overrun with blood sucking all flesh consuming creatures out to eliminate the human population - I think the human population is sort of in a trans, on purpose they lack emotional definition sort of like post apocalyptic Stepford Wives. Even 90 something years later it's almost like the first humans on earth and they think they're the last. And that's exactly why Amy's character is better developed then the rest of the population, she's Eve.

Those are my thoughts.

Oh and I will definitely read the next episode in the Vampires vs the Humans


Thanks, Debbie, that does make sense.  So, is that the name of his next book?  Okay, I'll admit, I probably will get it....hopefully I'll be able to hold it in my hands, by that time!  Ha!

 

I don't like to come off sounding critical, but if a novel has some issues that don't sit/feel right with me, that's how I sound, especially after reading something of this scope.  I normally wouldn't say these things to an author's face...just to you guys!  :smileyhappy:

 

I like others to give me their points of view on my citiques, and not leave me hanging with all of these negatives, sounding like I'm a negative person....I'm not, really.....if some of you see what I'm getting at, or want to say something that is contrary to my thoughts, or want to try to change my mind, I welcome it..I like to see all sides......If you don't see eye to eye with me, I'm not going to send a vamp, or smoky the bear, after you!....:smileyvery-happy:....as long as you don't try to bite my neck, and suck my blood, for giving my opinion. 

 

.......so, again, thanks so much, Debbie!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


dhaupt wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I just finished 

 

Hurricanes in Paradise 

 

If you like inspirational romance/love stories. You will like this

here's my review http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1432209


 

 

 

Debbie, when do you get the time to read so many books?....I swear, you must read one a day!  How do you select these odd assortment of books...I've never heard of this author?  Are you on a publisher's reading list?

Do you have time to talk to your husband?  :smileyhappy:


 

I read about 4 books a week Kathy and after 30 years of marriage what's left to talk about.

 


 

You've got a point!  Ha!  Four books a week, huh?  That's a lot.  I guess if I read straight through the week, I could get four read...but, I'm not a constant reader.  I look at a book, kind of like an ice cream cone, with a favorite flavor packed to the bottom.

 

I slurp them up, slowing,,,,,,first I savor the flavors...if it's chocolate chip, cherry vanilla....I let the chocolate chips melt on my tongue, and when I get to a cherry, I chew them slowly, letting the juices intermingle with the chocolate....then when getting down to the edge of the cone, I nibble my way around it...sucking up the soft ice cream as I go...feeling a backstroke coming on.......I  swim around in the tip of the cone for a while. CHOMP!  :smileyvery-happy:  I'm done!