Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

this book is so hard to find now.  it's just going like hot cakes.  i personally truly enjoyed it.  i received a good scare from it.  thanks guys for sharing.

YrekGeorgian wrote:

I really liked this one too.  It was very suspenseful.  Thanks for the review.

You wrote:

Always sounds good when i see posts on the North Road House story -------------------------------

dhaupt wrote: Henry Paul GoatAllen at the Paranormal and Sci-Fi board liked this one too, looks like a great bet for all you horror fans. Just reading the blurb gave me chills, brrrrr Thanks for mentioning it!! And welcome to the club!!!!

Encounter at North Road House. What happens when a brutal masked-psycho enters a house looking for another victim, but this house happens to be haunted by vicious ghosts, no one lives there, and the plan backfires? The masked psycho gets locked in and goes to war with the haunted house.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

cwiley1 wrote:

Well, I finally finished The Pact by J Picoult.  It took me a while, but I was not disappointed.  As her other books, they leave me thinking...

She is such a good writer to be able to write about the subjects she deals with.  Very true to life and thought provoking.

Next is Barbara Delinsky's The Summer I Dared.  I don't think I have read much by her, but it was recommended by a friend.

I like Barbara Delinski too. I hope you enjoy her.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished a sneak peek for the Science Fiction club called

Antiphon 

here's my review http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1439454

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Lake News  

Looking for Peyton Place  I haven't read "The Summer I Dared"  yet but have read these two and a few others.Must Check My Book of Books I read ..Was up to date until a year ago..lol Enjoy .I love her stories...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just finished:

A Parchment of Leaves  by Silas House (2003)

Read 90% of it in a single day.  Found it a good story, set in Appalachia at the turn of the century.  Story of the love of a Cherokee woman and a man of Irish descent who must live much of their early married life (span of the story) away at a lumber camp felling trees to make turpentine to support WWI, while she remains with their young daughter in the holler near her in-laws.  Strong characters, many of them likeable, others troubling.

Found House's use of metaphors and similes to describe the land, the weather, and emotions especially striking and enjoyable to read.  Felt he did an excellent job of developing some 30 plus characters at just the appropriate level of detail for their roles in the story.  However, felt his control of the sequence of time and events was a bit sloppy -- not certain all could have worked together as he described. A neighboring midwife, the husband's mother, brother, and sister-in-law, and three small children, as well as the wife's Cherokee family, were among the characters who had significant roles in the plot.

Some are suggesting House is creating a southern locale for his characters, much as Faulkner did and as Hardy did in England.  

Although published after Clay's Quilt (2002), which I have not read, the plot of A Parchment of Leaves actually precedes it historically.  More recently, House has released  The Coal Tattoo  (2005) and Eli the Good (2009).  He is currently working on a novel referred to as Evona Darling.  For other writings, including non-fiction, short stories, and plays, see his web site.

(Kathy -- this is the "Southern" novel we finally chose to discuss -- if you remember our discussion of a few months ago.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The Coal Tattoo    Thank you Pepper for posting Silas House''My first encounter with his books,were "A Coal Tattoo "and the "A Parchment of Leaves" both were so well written and depicted the era so historically ,near perfection..They have still remained with me..I will look into his most recent book that you posted.".Eli the Good"   Susan

Peppermill
0 Kudos

A Parchment of Leaves Silas House (2003) Clay's Quilt The Coal Tattoo Eli the Good his web site.

The Coal Tattoo    Thank you Pepper for posting Silas House''My first encounter with his books,were "A Coal Tattoo "and the "A Parchment of Leaves" both were so well written and depicted the era so historically ,near perfection..They have still remained with me..I will look into his most recent book that you posted.".Eli the Good"   Susan

Susan -- have you also read Clay's Quilt?

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

A Parchment of Leaves Silas House (2003) Clay's Quilt The Coal Tattoo Eli the Good his web site.

Pepper..I haven't read "Clays Quilt",.But I will eventually.Because is such a Gifted writer,,Susan..

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Pepper..I haven't read "Clays Quilt",.But I will eventually.Because is such a Gifted writer,,Susan..

Susan -- I don't know what order would make the most sense.  I am of the impression CQ is related to APoL, but I would have to double check to be certain.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Waiting for Teddy Williams  

A Stranger in the Kingdom    Pepper I will check as well..and Thank you for his website..Theres another Author  Howard Frank Mosher.....His books are set in Vermont in The Kingdom Region..Have a look ''Mostly set in the 1950's1960's " I read most of his books when I first moved here and another writer that is so visual and Historically  correct,,Its his characters that move around the pages coming to life..You become very involved..Susan

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

A Stranger in the Kingdom    Pepper I will check as well..and Thank you for his website..Theres another Author  Howard Frank Mosher.....His books are set in Vermont in The Kingdom Region..Have a look ''Mostly set in the 1950's1960's " I read most of his books when I first moved here and another writer that is so visual and Historically  correct,,Its his characters that move around the pages coming to life..You become very involved..Susan

Thanks for those!  I don't know  Howard Frank Mosher at all.  The Northeast Kingdom is such a fascinating area of Vermont.

Last year Chris Bohjalian was at the local theatrical play in Stowe the week we were visiting.  It was his birthday and everyone was wishing him well.  We had just seen his column in an area paper.  Unfortunately, I haven't read any of his work either. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Thanks for those!  I don't know  Howard Frank Mosher at all.  The Northeast Kingdom is such a fascinating area of Vermont.

Last year Chris Bohjalian was at the local theatrical play in Stowe the week we were visiting.  It was his birthday and everyone was wishing him well.  We had just seen his column in an area paper.  Unfortunately, I haven't read any of his work either. 

Glad I could recommend Howard Frank Mosher's books..he chronicles the lives of The Kinneson Family..but I can't recall which book I read first..I might've started with "Northern Borders"..which is separate from the others..as well as "Disappearances "sort of, I will check My Book of Books that I have read . Chris Bohjalian..he has been on my TBR..just haven't gotten around to him yet.   www.howardfrankmosher is a good place to start...I have also seen a few of his movies,jay Craven does a very Good job in bringing the stories to life..But I do prefer the books..Susan

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Olive Kitteridge  Just started this one for my face to face book club. Not sure how I'm going to like it yet. I seem to have problems with the short story format and I already don't care for the title character. Perhaps I'll be surprised....

Frequent Contributor
Beachgirl312
0 Kudos

I'm new here & not sure how the book clubs work? But I am reading The Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carey. So far so good, almost finished.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Beachgirl312 wrote:

I'm new here & not sure how the book clubs work? But I am reading The Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carey. So far so good, almost finished.

Hi and welcome, the book clubs here are like big chat rooms that we use to talk about reading books. I'm glad you found your way to ours. I haven't read 

Mermaids Singing 

tell us a little about it and why you like it.

And please come back often

KathyS
0 Kudos

Silas House -

Hi Pepper.  I'm glad you went with this one, A Parchment of Leaves.  It is my favorite, and the first I'd read of his books.  I've now read them all except the first, Clay's Quilt.  I have it, though.  I just keep reading other books, and forgetting my good friends on the shelf!  See what happens when someone suggests a book...well, I don't have to tell you, do I?  Ha!

I feel that House writes some of the best, honest, women's perspectives in his characters.  Not many men writers can allow you to connect the way he can.  I'm looking forward to his next novel.  Thanks for reading this book, and your review

Kathy

Peppermill
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Olive Kitteridge  Just started this one for my face to face book club. Not sure how I'm going to like it yet. I seem to have problems with the short story format and I already don't care for the title character. Perhaps I'll be surprised....

Many in my book club felt as you do about Olive.  For some reason, I was more sympathic to her quirks and weaknesses than most and saw her as having some solid redeeming characteristics both hidden and driven by her value system.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Olive Kitteridge

[ Edited ]

pjpick wrote:

I know what you're saying.  This book was mentioned by one of my favorite authors, Elinor Lipman, while she was visiting us on a discussion, here..  She was on the National Book Awards board when it came up to be read...she loved it and recommended it to the NBA board, but they passed it over.  Then it turns around and wins the PP!  Elinor was thrilled.

I started reading this book, because of Elinor, then put it aside to read something else.....As far as I had gotten, I also wasn't crazy about the woman character.  It's an oddly written storyline....., but I'm sure there must be some underlying integrity to the way it's written, that I just wasn't able to see before I stopped reading.  Let us know what you think, when you finish it?

Kathy

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

Olive Kitteridge  Pep and Kathy, I'm almost halfway through the book and like Pep said, Olive has shown some redeeming qualities. I start to like her and then she becomes a cantankerous coot again. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm trying to put myself in her head.  Am not finding it too hard to get into the short story format with this one, it does take a while sometimes to figure out the timeframe though.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

I start to like her and then she becomes a cantankerous coot again.

:smileyvery-happy: LOL, almost RFLOL! 

pjpick wrote:

Olive Kitteridge  Pep and Kathy, I'm almost halfway through the book and like Pep said, Olive has shown some redeeming qualities. I start to like her and then she becomes a cantankerous coot again. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm trying to put myself in her head.  Am not finding it too hard to get into the short story format with this one, it does take a while sometimes to figure out the timeframe though.