Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Re: Olive Kitteridge

Hi everyone. I am back. My daughter had her baby last week and we have been a little busy and distracted. Almost finished Drawing in the Dust.

I haven't read Olive Kitteridge yet. I have heard people complain about the same thing-dislike of title character and the format. I will probably get around to it soon.

I have not picked my next books yet. I am thinking about reading Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin.

Alice I Have Been 

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
YN
Frequent Contributor
YN
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

[ Edited ]

I respond:

The book is adequately re-stocked from what I can tell.  Encounter at North Road House

MrsWaki wrote:

this book is so hard to find now.  it's just going like hot cakes.  i personally truly enjoyed it.  i received a good scare from it.  thanks guys for sharing.

dhaupt wrote: Henry Paul GoatAllen at the Paranormal and Sci-Fi board liked this one too, looks like a great bet for all you horror fans. Just reading the blurb gave me chills, brrrrr Thanks for mentioning it!! And welcome to the club!!!!

Encounter at North Road House. What happens when a brutal masked-psycho enters a house looking for another victim, but this house happens to be haunted by vicious ghosts, no one lives there, and the plan backfires? The masked psycho gets locked in and goes to war with the haunted house.

YN
-Hunter of Books-
dhaupt
0 Kudos

debbaker wrote:

Hi everyone. I am back. My daughter had her baby last week and we have been a little busy and distracted. Almost finished Drawing in the Dust.

I haven't read Olive Kitteridge yet. I have heard people complain about the same thing-dislike of title character and the format. I will probably get around to it soon.

I have not picked my next books yet. I am thinking about reading Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin.

Alice I Have Been 

Deb welcome back and congratulations on the new addition. Can't wait to read your thoughts on Drawing in the Dust

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

dhaupt, I will check into getting the books The Daughters of Wtiching Hill for October. I am anxious to read Jim's book for next month.

See you on the island.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Grandmotherhood

[ Edited ]

Grandmother pillow

Congratulations, Deb!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

I must have been channelling my grandma or something. :smileyhappy:
Peppermill wrote:

I start to like her and then she becomes a cantankerous coot again.

:smileyvery-happy: LOL, almost RFLOL! 

pjpick wrote:

Olive Kitteridge  Pep and Kathy, I'm almost halfway through the book and like Pep said, Olive has shown some redeeming qualities. I start to like her and then she becomes a cantankerous coot again. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm trying to put myself in her head.  Am not finding it too hard to get into the short story format with this one, it does take a while sometimes to figure out the timeframe though.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: What I'm reading

[ Edited ]

I just started

Live to Tell (Detective D. D. Warren Series #4) 

And just finished

Barely a Lady 

which is Eileen Dryer's first historical romance novel, she mostly known for her mysteries.

You can read my review of it here or on my blog

KathyS
0 Kudos

Congrats, Grandma Debbaker!

Welcome back, Grandma Deb!  And congratulations and best wishes to you and your family!

Grandma,

Kathy.. :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
Beachgirl312
0 Kudos

Thanks Debbie! It took me a while to find my post! Mermaids Singing is about 3 generations of women, Celtic and mermaid folk lore. I enjoy reading most anything "beachy" w/ a little magic/mystery thrown in. Currently reading "On Folly Beach".

On Folly Beach 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Haunted Ground  

Lake of Sorrows  

False Mermaid  Thanks for posting..I  think I recall Debbie posting "On Folly Beach",and her review..must ck..   ,and  I put it ,of course,on MY TBR..I love to mix it it up bet my UF/Paranormal..which I am a ",Newbie".have been recommended some wonderful Books in that genre Author "Nicole Peeler"Tempest Rising"..and so on,5 stars ,,..Another Great Author,if you like Irish Folklore,Mystery,and can't seem to put her books down. A pen21,Debbie,Becke..must read...Erin Visited us on Mystery.We had a wonderful week. Becke invited her.and Authors can never say no to Becke.."Mermaids Singing " Must have a look..Tks..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just started:

The Search 

I just started this book and it seems OK.  I am about half way and it is just starting to pick up. There is a lot of back story about training your dog (it is actually quite helpful, but can be boring).  ....and like all Nora Roberts books it is more romance than mystery.  I will let you all know what the outcome is when I finish it.  I have most of Nora's books, so I am hoping she doesn't let me down.

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

**Sigh***I'm torn on which book to read next. I'm waffling between three:

The Help 

The 19th Wife  

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy Series #3) 

What to do, what to do?

PJPick -- this week it's my turn to wonder what to read next.  I want to slip in something I don't "have" to read, like The Purge by Sofi Oksanen for LbW or Bruce-Machart's The Wake of Forgiveness for First Look.   Having finished Oates's The Falls for LbW and Hardy's The Return of the Native for Classics, I feel as if it is time for a "just me" choice.  I pulled four last night and this morning and am doing as I suggested to you: Sampling.

I think I am in the mood for something about the French revolution or at least French history.  I once started a library copy of Hilary Mantel's Place of Greater Safety  -- enough to know that it is humorous, which definitely appeals.  Pulling Stendhal's The Red and the Black, I see I got to 110 pages before I set it aside previously, probably for other commitments.  But, I know I'll have to at least re-skim those pages. 

Place of Greater Safety

The Red and the Black (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

I also pulled Chris Bohjalian's The Double Bind, I believe the only one of his I have on my shelves, although not necessarily my first choice if totally free to pick today.  A brief look does look enticing --  fiction derived from some factual stories associated with photographs and the Waterbury, Vermont Mental Hospital.    However, it does also have links to The Great Gatsby, which I am not particularly interested in re-visiting at the moment.   

The Double Bind 

Finally, I pulled Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis.  I have had it for some time, barely cracked it open.  Got a little farther last night.  Since I have long wondered what it is like to read a graphic novel, I think I will keep this one going for at least awhile, hopefully to the end this time.

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

"What to do, what to do?"

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
Beachgirl312
0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendations ! I will def. look into those. Even though I keep telling myself I wont buy anymore until I finish the pile I have ! Ha ha ! How do you make your library public?

Frequent Contributor
Beachgirl312
0 Kudos

My new fav author is Sarah Addisson Allen. She wrote 3 books, love them all, Garden Spells being my fav

Garden Spells  

The Sugar Queen  

The Girl Who Chased the Moon  . In March 2011 her new book The Peach Keeper will be released.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Beachgirl312 wrote:

Thanks Debbie! It took me a while to find my post! Mermaids Singing is about 3 generations of women, Celtic and mermaid folk lore. I enjoy reading most anything "beachy" w/ a little magic/mystery thrown in. Currently reading "On Folly Beach".

On Folly Beach 

Hi Beachgirl and welcome back. Mermaids Singing sounds really good, I'll have to pick it up. I also love Karen White and Sarah Addison Allen so it sounds like we have similar tastes. Also the books recommended by Vermontcozy are wonderful.

Hey thanks for chatting and we'll see you soon.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Over the weekend I finished

Live to Tell (Detective D. D. Warren Series #4) 

I know you want it, so here's my review ;-)

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1442095

then after that roller coaster ride I HAD to turn to a romance so I read

Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage 

It was great, I Love the Mackenzies, this is about the brother to Ian for those of you familiar with the series

and Now I'm reading

A Kiss at Midnight 

It's a classic Cinderella tale, even has a godmother.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Beachgirl312 wrote:

My new fav author is Sarah Addisson Allen. She wrote 3 books, love them all, Garden Spells being my fav

Garden Spells  

The Sugar Queen  

The Girl Who Chased the Moon  . In March 2011 her new book The Peach Keeper will be released.

Hi Beachgirl312, Sarah Addison Allen Especially"Garden Spells"  has been on  myTBR for a while..need to move her up a bit.. :   )..Glad you are posting and Enjoying BN..Looking forward to reading about other books you want to share with us...Susan Vtc.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Hi Pep, Oh man! Such diverse choices. I would lean towards "Place of Greater Safety"--historical yet sounds a little saucy.:smileywink: But if you've already tried and it didn't hold your interest it might not again. Hmmm... Persepolis might be fast (isn't it a graphic novel or am I totally wrong). It would be different than most things you read to cleanse your palate, so to speak.

Peppermill wrote:

pjpick wrote:

**Sigh***I'm torn on which book to read next. I'm waffling between three:

The Help 

The 19th Wife  

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy Series #3) 

What to do, what to do?

PJPick -- this week it's my turn to wonder what to read next.  I want to slip in something I don't "have" to read, like The Purge by Sofi Oksanen for LbW or Bruce-Machart's The Wake of Forgiveness for First Look.   Having finished Oates's The Falls for LbW and Hardy's The Return of the Native for Classics, I feel as if it is time for a "just me" choice.  I pulled four last night and this morning and am doing as I suggested to you: Sampling.

I think I am in the mood for something about the French revolution or at least French history.  I once started a library copy of Hilary Mantel's Place of Greater Safety  -- enough to know that it is humorous, which definitely appeals.  Pulling Stendhal's The Red and the Black, I see I got to 110 pages before I set it aside previously, probably for other commitments.  But, I know I'll have to at least re-skim those pages. 

Place of Greater Safety

The Red and the Black (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

I also pulled Chris Bohjalian's The Double Bind, I believe the only one of his I have on my shelves, although not necessarily my first choice if totally free to pick today.  A brief look does look enticing --  fiction derived from some factual stories associated with photographs and the Waterbury, Vermont Mental Hospital.    However, it does also have links to The Great Gatsby, which I am not particularly interested in re-visiting at the moment.   

The Double Bind 

Finally, I pulled Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis.  I have had it for some time, barely cracked it open.  Got a little farther last night.  Since I have long wondered what it is like to read a graphic novel, I think I will keep this one going for at least awhile, hopefully to the end this time.

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

"What to do, what to do?"

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Peppermill,

Have you read anything by David Liss? I've read one of his The Whiskey Rebels and really enjoyed it. I've been toying with The Coffee Trader  and A Conspiracy of Paper .

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pjpick wrote:

Peppermill,

Have you read anything by David Liss? I've read one of his The Whiskey Rebels and really enjoyed it. I've been toying with The Coffee Trader  and A Conspiracy of Paper .

I really enjoyed his

I learned several things I never considered about the adoption of coffee by the general public, as well as about the financial trading of the time, plus the story itself was nicely convoluted if not spectacular.

This is from a review by David Lazarus in the San Francisco Chronicle:

"David Liss has cornered a very narrow niche of the literary market -- historical financial thrillers. And it must be said: He's quite good at it....

"Liss clearly has done his homework (and even includes a bibliography of all the books he's read). Lienzo's world comes to life in great (and frequently grimy) detail, and the workings of the Amsterdam bourse are eerily similar to modern commodities markets.

"A particularly tasty aspect of The Coffee Trader is the simple astonishment with which Europeans react to their first encounter with the bitter, oddly stimulating brew, and the realization that fortunes can be made with this heady stuff.

"Lienzo even foresees a day when coffee-oriented taverns spring up on every corner. Imagine that."

For other reviews (I didn't read them all), see here.
(Thomas Mallen's NYT review does say: "And readers who missed his first novel may want to start with this second one, which appears to be a kind of prequel. As near as I can figure, Miguel Lienzo is the great-uncle of Ben Weaver."  But I doubt it's very necessary.)
I read The Coffee Trader in 2005, the year after I returned from a trip to Amsterdam.  At the time, I wrote: "Memorable for its characters and for evoking the character of a city with many sites that had survived from those medieval days."