Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

KathyS wrote:

I don't know how Melissa will break it down, but it would be wise not to get too far ahead of schedule. 

Chapter by chapter = Six chapters. 

Slow and easy, from the ridiculous to the supreme sublime! 

From Orlando to Orlando! 

A poet's dream is mine! 

Ha!

Good to know.  I was thinking I might have trouble understanding the book, so was going to start it in about a week and not read ahead.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

KathyS wrote:

I don't know how Melissa will break it down, but it would be wise not to get too far ahead of schedule. 

Chapter by chapter = Six chapters. 

Slow and easy, from the ridiculous to the supreme sublime! 

From Orlando to Orlando! 

A poet's dream is mine! 

Ha!

Good to know.  I was thinking I might have trouble understanding the book, so was going to start it in about a week and not read ahead.

Yes, you might want to read/and reread some parts.  Virginia takes some thinking, to get into her prose.....and this story takes place from 1588 to 1928.  It's a merry ride.....

Who suggested this book?

Do you think there will be many on this discussion?

I've never thought that VW was an author that anyone on these boards would want to discuss.  I've been discussing her for years, it seems, but seriously with never anyone except Ilana, and a couple of people who contacted me in a PM. The first time I told them to contact Ilana...I'm not the expert on VW, she is. 

A couple of months ago, someone wanted to discuss one concept in To The Lighthouse with me.  So I obliged.  I don't think I satisfied that person.  These people weren't  participants on the boards, just lurkers.   I pretty much gave my side/opinion, to this last person, and then she left me alone.  That person wanted me to agree with her points of view, which I didn't see at all....some off the wall, weird interpretation of the ending to the story....it made no sense.  Virginia is not always an easy writer to interpret...a lot of people struggle with her.  I don't look at myself as a great interpreter of her writing, I just enjoy her, and get out of her writing what I see in it.  Very philosophical, poetic, lyrical, with many undercurrents of insights.

I've never discussed Orlando.  So, we'll be in this together!  Ha!  It should be fun.

Kathy

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Who suggested this book?

I don't know who nominated Orlando, but it was on the voting list for the Lit by Women board and was voted as a choice to read.  Virginia Wolfe has been nominated before, but not chosen by vote.  Participation varies on the board, so who knows who will say anything.  I think there are many more lurkers.  I wish they would speak up!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Who suggested this book?

I don't know who nominated Orlando, but it was on the voting list for the Lit by Women board and was voted as a choice to read.  Virginia Woolf has been nominated before, but not chosen by vote.  Participation varies on the board, so who knows who will say anything.  I think there are many more lurkers.  I wish they would speak up!

So do I!  Maybe, if we're lucky, they'll come out of the woodwork for this one....but.... they're shy creatures.  

Contributor
VickiMasterMind
0 Kudos

I believe the winter season is just right around the corner - good luck :smileyhappy:

..i could image just not wanting to get out from under the covers :smileywink:

..very well put..just wait till the weather gets cold..chilly on the inside and out..makes for a good winter read

ReaderRetired wrote:

I think i'll find the urge to pick it up again and continue reading..   *brrrr - chilly on the inside* - good horror-fiction though.. 

dhaupt wrote: Henry Paul GoatAllen at the Paranormal and Sci-Fi board liked this one too, looks like a great bet for all you horror fans. Just reading the blurb gave me chills, brrrrr Thanks for mentioning it!! And welcome to the club!!!!

Encounter at North Road House. What happens when a brutal masked-psycho like Jason enters a house looking for another victim, but this house happens to be haunted by vicious ghosts, no one lives there, and the plan backfires? The masked psycho gets locked in and goes to war with the haunted house.

YN
-Hunter of Books-
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Homer's Odyssey Had to get rid of my current read and face to face book club book Bridge of Birds (yech) and pick up some brain candy for a very busy work month. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Okay so you've finished the featured book for October and you're looking for something a little more mainstream but right in line with the season let me help you there with an incredible thriller out just in time for Halloween

The Immortals (Taylor Jackson Series #5) 

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1455521

it's a fast paced, can't put it down and scare you silly read

enjoy

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's a preview of our February read 

Saving Max - it comes out tomorrow- here's a link to the youtube promo trailer and more about the novel

http://www.savingmaxbook.com/

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Saving Max - it comes out tomorrow- here's a link to the youtube promo trailer and more about the novel

Hi Deb I was interested in "Saving Max" When you first posted it.And another BNer was as well..I emailed the post to her..Thanks Deb..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Deb I was interested in "Saving Max" When you first posted it.And another BNer was as well..I emailed the post to her..Thanks Deb..Susan

I'm glad to hear about your interest and that of the other member, Antoinette is wonderful and will of course be joining us. Hopefully she'll be a little less busy in Feb.

dhaupt

Re:Review of Water Bound by Christine Feehan

Christine Feehan super author of many paranormal series, just came up with another one and it's a spin off of her Drake Sisters series

Water Bound 

here's the review on B&N

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1456609

and of course you can always view it on my blog

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just finished listening to:

South of Broad  by Pat Conroy.

Very different from other books I have encountered recently.  Must say that I found many of the characters "likeable" in the sense that I wanted things to go well for them, whether they did or not.  It does have its share of despicable characters and certainly takes cracks at a number of venerable institutions, including Catholicism and Charleston, SC, aristocracy.  I considered  Conroy's metaphors and similes more than slightly hyperbolic at times.  Still, overall, I found it an enjoyable listening, although I doubt I would have had the patience to read the book.

Anyone else?

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

South of Broad

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

Very different from other books I have encountered recently.  Must say that I found many of the characters "likeable" in the sense that I wanted things to go well for them, whether they did or not.  It does have its share of despicable characters and certainly takes cracks at a number of venerable institutions, including Catholicism and Charlotte, NC, aristocracy.  I considered  Conroy's metaphors and similes more than slightly hyperbolic at times.  Still, overall, I found it an enjoyable listening, although I doubt I would have had the patience to read the book.

Anyone else?

Pepper

I can't type much, at this time.  I read about 1/3 of the way in, and stopped.  I couldn't take his characters.  The good ol boy banter drove me nuts.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: South of Broad

KathyS wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Very different from other books I have encountered recently.  Must say that I found many of the characters "likeable" in the sense that I wanted things to go well for them, whether they did or not.  It does have its share of despicable characters and certainly takes cracks at a number of venerable institutions, including Catholicism and Charlotte, NC, aristocracy.  I considered  Conroy's metaphors and similes more than slightly hyperbolic at times.  Still, overall, I found it an enjoyable listening, although I doubt I would have had the patience to read the book.

Anyone else?

Pepper

I can't type much, at this time.  I read about 1/3 of the way in, and stopped.  I couldn't take his characters.  The good ol boy banter drove me nuts.

Oops!  I should have said "Charleston, SC" (I just edited the original).  Thanks for your comments, Kathy.  The characters are over the top; still, they somehow succeeded as rather humane caricatures for me -- perhaps because I was listening rather than reading and listening in relaxed rather than questioning mode.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Anyone else?

Pepper

Oops!  I should have said "Charleston, SC" (I just edited the original).  Thanks for your comments, Kathy.  The characters are over the top; still, they somehow succeeded as rather humane caricatures for me -- perhaps because I was listening rather than reading and listening in relaxed rather than questioning mode.

I read this book about 6 months ago or so.  I liked it and read it because I was making a trip to Charleston, SC and reading the book did help me experience the city. 

However, I will say that the only other book I read of his was Beach Music  

and I liked that one much better.

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
KathyS
0 Kudos

coffee_luvr wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Anyone else?

Pepper

I read this book about 6 months ago or so.  I liked it and read it because I was making a trip to Charleston, SC and reading the book did help me experience the city. 

However, I will say that the only other book I read of his was Beach Music  

and I liked that one much better.

Pepper, yes, there is definately a difference, at least for me, in how I receive a story; audio vs visual.  Conroy's story wasn't bad, it was just how he handled his characters, or should I say, how his characters handled their situations.  When I said, 'good ol boy banter', it was like hearing nonsense conversation, continually, between them.  I wanted to like these characters, but they just kept putting me in a place that felt uncomfortable...I finally got tired of hearing these 'put-downs' towards each other, if you know what I mean, and stopped reading.

Coffee luvr, I have Beach Music, and these two others, which are autobiographical.  I hope to read them, one of these days.  They just keep getting pushed to the bottom of the pile!  I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Beach Music much better than SofB.  I had started BM, but it wasn't grabing, or I wasn't in the mood, or I had something else I HAD to read first.....take your pick. 

The Water is Wide 

My Losing Season

Contributor
MsTweet
0 Kudos

I just started reading The Passage by Justin Cronin.  I've heard great things about this book.  I can't wait to really get into it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: The Passage

[ Edited ]

MsTweet wrote:

I just started reading The Passage by Justin Cronin.  I've heard great things about this book.  I can't wait to really get into it.

Hi Ms Tweet. I loved The Passage. I hope you do too.

Let us know.

If you want to see my review of it I'll link it for you below

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/07/review-of-passage.html

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Senseless

Contributor
MsTweet
0 Kudos

Re: The Passage

Thanks, Debbie!  I will check out your review after I finished the book.