Contributor
YrekGeorgian
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I really liked this one too.  It was very suspenseful.  Thanks for the review.

WestchesterRFranks wrote:
yes, surely a delight to see these posts

You wrote:

Always sounds good when i see posts on the North Road House story -------------------------------

dhaupt wrote: Henry Paul GoatAllen at the Paranormal and Sci-Fi board liked this one too, looks like a great bet for all you horror fans. Just reading the blurb gave me chills, brrrrr Thanks for mentioning it!! And welcome to the club!!!!

Encounter at North Road House. What happens when a brutal masked-psycho enters a house looking for another victim, but this house happens to be haunted by vicious ghosts, no one lives there, and the plan backfires? The masked psycho gets locked in and goes to war with the haunted house.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

YrekGeorgian wrote:

I really liked this one too.  It was very suspenseful.  Thanks for the review.

WestchesterRFranks wrote:
yes, surely a delight to see these posts

You wrote:

Always sounds good when i see posts on the North Road House story -------------------------------

dhaupt wrote: Henry Paul GoatAllen at the Paranormal and Sci-Fi board liked this one too, looks like a great bet for all you horror fans. Just reading the blurb gave me chills, brrrrr Thanks for mentioning it!! And welcome to the club!!!!

Encounter at North Road House. What happens when a brutal masked-psycho enters a house looking for another victim, but this house happens to be haunted by vicious ghosts, no one lives there, and the plan backfires? The masked psycho gets locked in and goes to war with the haunted house.

Welcome and thanks, me I'm still chicken ;-)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just got the Storm Front Series by Sharon Sala check out my review of

Blown Away 

here at B&N or of course on my blog

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

I'm reading Janet Evonovich's

Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum Series #15) 

Check out my review:  Here: 

Three words to say to this one! 

SILLY, FUNNY, SLAPSTICK

Lula is at it again!  Yes, Stephanie Plum has her hands full this time - full of Lula's BBQ!  So much for knowing how to use the pressure cooker...oh, well, there must be other ways to getting this recipe down, and I don't mean just off of the ceiling!  Yeah, you guessed it...it blew!  Even if there were instructions with this made in China pressure cooker...do you think Lula would read them?  You're right on that one!

Lula decides she wants to be a chef, mixing up plate after plate of ribs and chicken, knowing all along she's going to win that Million Dollar prize in the BBQ contest, and naturally she's going to split it three ways....which includes her partners in crime - Grandma Mazur and Stephanie.  Minor detail, somebody forgot to tell them they can't cook!

Off to the races----dodging the bad guys, with their knives and bullets, who are intent to either shoot or lob off Lula's head for witnessing their dirty deed.....so meanwhile, she camps out on Stephanie's couch, while her front door is being repaired (a few bullets turned it into an oversized piece of swiss cheese), and we hear Lula's snoring is turning out to be her forte...waking the dead, and Stephanie in the process, running her off to guess who's?  No, not Joe's...they're on the outs for now...Ranger man's!  But it's just to sleep between the 5,000 thread count sheets. and to smell his soap...no hanky panky....  

Stephanie is also moonlighting  at the Rangeman, secretly trying to solve the mystery of what looks like an inside job of  break-ins, manned by Ranger's staff and security systems.. 

And that's not all, folks!  More cases to come, including a warrant out for our winky wagger, Junior Turley..  We have to bring Grandma and Lula to a Mortuary viewing for this collar.   Need I say more?

Where Junior is concerned, I've never heard so many names used to refer to his outstanding (it's said) exposed part of anatomy!  Janet certainly has a way with those words in this book, that's for darn sure! 

And the woman we all love to hate?  Yup, right again, Joyce Barnhardt is back for more....of Joe, to Stephanie's dismay...no, that's too nice of a word to use, but I can't convey what's in the mind of Stephanie, for Joyce, this is a rated PG review!  Anywhoo, it's one fast ride, through thick and thin BBQ sauce, that is!  And don't miss the next Plum adventure, Sizzling Sixteen.  I can't wait to see what's on fire in this one...more of Lula's ribs, perhaps?

Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum Series #16) 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I finished Sharon Sala's Storm Front series with

Swept Aside 

check out my review on B&N

Frequent Contributor
ResilientPhoenix
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Hi RP, can you tell us what made this book enjoyable for you; what were you expecting, exactly?  Was it the cover, the blurbs on the cover, the reviews, suggestions or recommends by friends, or others...?...... and can you tell us why you want him to write more? 

I see the Red Hat on the cover....suggesting a certain age group that this book might appeal to...is that the case?

Thanks!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

I haven't been around so I apologize for the delay. The book was recommended to me by members of an online bookclub. Since it was Damon Wayans first book and I only knew him for his comedy, I wasn't sure what to expect. The book was well written though with an interesting story line. The main character is a woman with a rough exterior and can be brash at times but throughout the book, I got to find out more about her to help me understand who she really was. The book became more about personal development, friendship, love and redemption. I would recommend the book to women of any age. It features a group of women called the red hats who are a real life group who get together and enjoy each other's company which is why I would suggest women as the audience. Lastly, I hope he writes another one because this book was well paced, though provoking, comical, and overall just a good read. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
ResilientPhoenix

I just finished Look Again by Lisa Scottline

Look Again

One of the doctor's at the office I go to recommended it and I really enjoyed it. The story was suspenseful and just when I thought I knew everything, I was surprised again. It didn't end exactly the way I thought so that was good. I liked this one because it was fast paced and kept my attention. When I had to put it down, I couldn't wait to get back to it to see what was going to happen.

I'm not sure what I'm reading next. Maybe more by Scottline.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Red Hats  by Damon Wayans (Ok, the author's name was a big clue.  I found it that way. Are you sure it is his first book?  I see others listed, but didn't check publication dates.)

ResilientPhoenix wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Hi RP, can you tell us what made this book enjoyable for you; what were you expecting, exactly?  Was it the cover, the blurbs on the cover, the reviews, suggestions or recommends by friends, or others...?...... and can you tell us why you want him to write more? 

I see the Red Hat on the cover....suggesting a certain age group that this book might appeal to...is that the case?

Kathy

I haven't been around so I apologize for the delay. The book was recommended to me by members of an online bookclub. Since it was Damon Wayans first book and I only knew him for his comedy, I wasn't sure what to expect. The book was well written though with an interesting story line. The main character is a woman with a rough exterior and can be brash at times but throughout the book, I got to find out more about her to help me understand who she really was. The book became more about personal development, friendship, love and redemption. I would recommend the book to women of any age. It features a group of women called the red hats who are a real life group who get together and enjoy each other's company which is why I would suggest women as the audience. Lastly, I hope he writes another one because this book was well paced, though provoking, comical, and overall just a good read. :smileyhappy:

Please tell us again what book this is.  I am too lazy tonight to page back through the posts and figure it out, but sounds like a fun read.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

**Sigh***I'm torn on which book to read next. I'm waffling between three:

The Help 

The 19th Wife  

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy Series #3) 

What to do, what to do?

KathyS
0 Kudos

ResilientPhoenix wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

No need to apologize.  We all have a life outside of these books clubs, although I'm here just about every day.  :smileyhappy: 

Thanks for this description of the book.  I had a feeling it was the Red Hat Society.  I live in a 55 plus community, and there are several of these groups within, who do enjoy their outings and get togethers.  I've never joined, since I dislike wearing a hat, red or not!  Ha!  Wayans sounds like a very good writer, especially since he is probably dealing with women's issues... :smileyhappy:  I think the main thing, is to interject humor throughout your life....life's too serious, and short, otherwise, I think.

Thanks,

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Red Hats  by Damon Wayans (Ok, the author's name was a big clue.  I found it that way. Are you sure it is his first book?  I see others listed, but didn't check publication dates.)

ResilientPhoenix wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

Please tell us again what book this is.  I am too lazy tonight to page back through the posts and figure it out, but sounds like a fun read.

Pepper

Pepper, you must be out of it....look at your post, I think it says, Red Hats:smileyvery-happy:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Pjpick -- can't decide what you are in the mode to read?

Personally, I'd probably start all three and let what didn't hold my interest drop away or get overtaken for the time being by the one(s) that did.

I don't know Nineteen Wives, but I found both of the others good reads.  Larsson is a pull-me-in, read as much as possible as quickly as possible, although this last one is a little frustrating because it repeats pieces of the previous story so that it can be a stand alone book.  Since you have undoubtedly read the first two volumes, the question is how anxious are you to complete as much of the story as we are likely to get.

The Help has humorous tidbits in the midst of a serious subject, the treatment of African American servants in Southern homes in the 1960's.  It can be read in pieces; there are stories that make logical places to put the book down. But I did pretty much stay with it and enjoyed the writing and stories, if not the treatment.  However, often the stories were poignant in both direction of the relationships.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
ResilientPhoenix
0 Kudos

Pepper

Hey Pepper,
It's Red Hats by Damon Waynes
Red Hats  
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I finished and reviewed here

The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld Series #6) 

And I've started

Barely a Lady 

Eileen is a successful mystery author but has always wanted to write historical romance. Well she finally did it and beware this in not your grandmother or mother's historical romance, there is a very lifelike battlefield depicted in the first few chapters and she's got my attention from the get go.

Kudos Eilieen!!!!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

Pjpick -- can't decide what you are in the mode to read?

Personally, I'd probably start all three and let what didn't hold my interest drop away or get overtaken for the time being by the one(s) that did.

I don't know Nineteen Wives, but I found both of the others good reads.  Larsson is a pull-me-in, read as much as possible as quickly as possible, although this last one is a little frustrating because it repeats pieces of the previous story so that it can be a stand alone book.  Since you have undoubtedly read the first two volumes, the question is how anxious are you to complete as much of the story as we are likely to get.

The Help has humorous tidbits in the midst of a serious subject, the treatment of African American servants in Southern homes in the 1960's.  It can be read in pieces; there are stories that make logical places to put the book down. But I did pretty much stay with it and enjoyed the writing and stories, if not the treatment.  However, often the stories were poignant in both direction of the relationships.

Hi Pep, Oddly enough, I was doing what you suggested but none of the three were fitting my mood. I'm off school and really wanted to tear into a thick book while I could but ended up finding one that wasn't so thick and so far am sticking with it. On a side note, I found the copy that I bought on ebay for $1.99 has two of the same copies (year and publisher) for sale on Alibris for $150.00! Zowie!) This is my current read but will still face the cunundrum again once I'm done.

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (Horatio Hornblower Series #1) Have found there are many sailing terms that I am unfamiliar with.

Contributor
LauraGirlReader
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I am just finishing up The Geographer's Library.  I'm still not sure what I think of the book yet. 

The Geographer's Library 

The one is pretty good

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Help  Only 33 pages in and I can already tell I'm going to LOVE this book.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

The Help  Only 33 pages in and I can already tell I'm going to LOVE this book.

Glad you found one that worked! I found The Help to be well written and thought-provoking.  What do you think went wrong the first time you broached it, a la your earlier post?

(It also generated a good book group discussion. I liked the author's comments about the risks of writing in the voices of individuals with very different life experiences than one's own.)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished Suze Brockmann's newest novel I LOVED it check out my review

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1437919 at B&N or on my blog.

Infamous 

Contributor
cwiley1
0 Kudos

Well, I finally finished The Pact by J Picoult.  It took me a while, but I was not disappointed.  As her other books, they leave me thinking...

She is such a good writer to be able to write about the subjects she deals with.  Very true to life and thought provoking.

Next is Barbara Delinsky's The Summer I Dared.  I don't think I have read much by her, but it was recommended by a friend.