Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Daughter of the Hounds  
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dhaupt

I just started

Sullivan's Island  

And I'm loving it. 

To get introduced to yet another wonderful author that I learned about here and to get ready for when we read her newest book:

Return to Sullivans Island  

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

I am hooked on the Sookie Stackhouse books!!!  I started about 3 weeks ago and I'm on book 7 now.  They're just so much FUN!  Perfect for summer reading!

Cheers!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

What book are you reading Elinor? :smileyhappy:
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

The Haunting of Hill House  

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Debbie - you don't really need to read Sullivan's Island to read RtSI - not a sequel like you think.

Happy to hear you'll be joining the discussion - if you love the books, you'll really love Dot.

Stephanie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Debbie - you don't really need to read Sullivan's Island to read RtSI - not a sequel like you think.

Happy to hear you'll be joining the discussion - if you love the books, you'll really love Dot.

Oh I know that Stephanie, but I was not familiar with Ms. Frank so I thought I'd read the book to become familiar with her writing style. And I love it.

KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Oh I know that Stephanie, but I was not familiar with Ms. Frank so I thought I'd read the book to become familiar with her writing style. And I love it.

Debbie,

As Stephanie is right, it's not necessary to read Sullivans Island, before reading Return to Sullivans Ilsland, but the affinity you have for sequels, there is a point to getting a feel for both Dot's writing, but also a feel for the essence of the "family" that Dot gives to her books.  The house that Beth returns to, also has a feel you will discover in her first book, which is, as Dot mentions, a character unto itself.  The only difference you will find in her writing is, her first and subsequent books are written in first person.  This one is written in third person.  Enjoy!

See you soon!

Kathy

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I just finished

The Family Man  

wasn't able to join in discussion because of library mix-up and just got it last week. But I really enjoyed it

Sullivan's Island  

I don't know if I'll be able to get Return to Sullivan's Island from library before end of month, or even end of summer. But I like Sullivan's Island so far.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

How was the family man?
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks Kathy, and I am glad that I read Sullivans Island because the house was as much a character as Beth or Susan or Maggie.

Well I'll be on vacation next week so I'll catch up with every one on the 14th

Have a safe and fun 4th!! 

New User
Melippa
0 Kudos

I'm actually reading a couple of books....The first one is Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, which is the 3rd book in her Outlander series. My fellow book lover at work told me about it, and I'm so happy that I went out and started reading it. I love this whole series and would definately recommend it to anyone. The other book I'm currently reading is The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. I just started this one, and it sucked me in quickly. If you liked his previous 2 books, I think you'd enjoy it. I believe I read about this one in the local newspaper awhile ago.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

It was very funny, charming. A quick read.

SandraEBarker wrote:
How was the family man?

KathyS
0 Kudos

Sullivans Island- Dot Frank

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

Thanks Kathy, and I am glad that I read Sullivans Island because the house was as much a character as Beth or Susan or Maggie.

Well I'll be on vacation next week so I'll catch up with every one on the 14th

Have a safe and fun 4th!! 

Great, Debbie!  I picked that book up, March, 2000...I saw the cover, read the excerpt....and fell in love with this author and her writing after reading it!  She always writes about something that connects with your life.  She writes about real life and resolutions, and it always has a piece of her heart in it.  I've met Dot, and she's as funny and sincere in person, as the essence she gives to her characters.  I don't think she could write any differently, even if she writes in third person...She inspired my first set of ceramic bookends!

Same back to you on the 4th!  Safe trip, and see you back on the 14th!  It's a date!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-02-2009 07:50 PM
Contributor
BookBabeVT
0 Kudos

I'm reading The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.  I'd been wanting to read it for a while and now that I've finally started it, I can't put it down.  It is really quick reading and written very well. I like the story line quite a bit and can't wait to find out what happens to all the characters. 

Shawna 

New User
izzyshepp101

Right now I am reading The Book Thief. It really is an incredible book and I recommend it to anyone, as long as you can handle a good cry. It may be amazing but, boy, is it tragic. Have a box of tissues near you. There are some light moments and happy moments. And the characters are just so great. It is sad, though. SoThe Book Thief   be warned.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

That is an excellent book. We read it on this board last summer. Some people didn't like the style of writing but I thought it was a very moving story and I liked it being told from the perspective of death.

izzyshepp101 wrote:
Right now I am reading The Book Thief. It really is an incredible book and I recommend it to anyone, as long as you can handle a good cry. It may be amazing but, boy, is it tragic. Have a box of tissues near you. There are some light moments and happy moments. And the characters are just so great. It is sad, though. SoThe Book Thief   be warned.

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

A lot of great books ! ! Thanks!! :smileyvery-happy:
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

getting started on a book for the SciFi/Fantasy board

The Road 

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

That's an excellent book, Ryan

Ryan_G wrote:

getting started on a book for the SciFi/Fantasy board

The Road