Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
kyleblalock
0 Kudos

Re: What's in your library?

I am reading a few at the moment. I just finished Invisible Monster last week and Galapagos the day before I am currently reading anything Shakespere and Welcome to the Monkey House.
We are just a product of society and it's calamity, just like this keyboard I am using to portray "gods big mistake".
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

I will read anything that draws me in and usually things that don't.  The writers I read consistently or have read all of are Anne Rice, Nicholas Sparks, Stephen King, Dean Koontz,  Robert Parker, and the list goes on and on.

On my TBR list (which is amazingly extensive, and quite I bit I own) are
Key lime Pie Murder - Joanne Fluke
Body Surfing - Anita Shreve
People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks
Broken Shores - ?
Red Dragon - Thomas harris
a few dickens, and some other classics
the secret life of bees - sue monk kidd
Snowflower and the secret fan*, Peony in love - Lisa See

And the list goes on....

* just started today

I also have my bookmark in an H.P. Lovecraft books of stories and a book of Frost's poems.
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
New User
arline
0 Kudos

I love to read and re-read.  One of the best I've read this year was "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen.
It's a novel but could have been anyone's real life story.  Very telling!  I also read "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold and Ian McEwan "On Chesil Beach".  Some others that I really enjoyed were:

Victoria Decides To Die--- WONDERFUL!
Orpheus Lost
The Analyst

Has anyone read any of these?
Frequent Contributor
fiveclocksmwhere
0 Kudos

My TBR pile is probably about 20 books deep & I just got it down to that..LOL. I had to up my reading per month from 2-3 books to 4 bks a month to keep up.

I have several romance:

Paranormal:
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Eloisa James
Amanda Quick
Julia Quinn
Mary Jo Putney
Lisa Kleypas

YA:
"Children of the Lamp:2"
Supernaturalist" Eion Colfer
Percy Jackson & the Olympians seires by Rick Riordan
"City of Ashes" Cassandra Clare

Manga:
Sabrina: The Teenage Witch

Religion:
"Woman to Woman" by Joyce Meyer

Altho I plan to buy these next month:
Mary Janice Davidson's latest PB
Kimberly Raye's latest
Percy Jackson & the Olympians #1

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Here I go again, showing my ignorance. What exactly is YA? I've seen it mentioned on a few posts. I ignorantly assumed it had something to do with the Ya Ya Siterhood. Guess I'm wrong!LOL
PJ

Message Edited by pjpick on 05-27-2008 06:17 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(smile)YA = young adult
Frequent Contributor
fiveclocksmwhere
0 Kudos

I just finished "City of Ashes" & it was wonderful! Even better than the first in my opinion. SO much happens.

It is a part of a trilogy "The Mortal Instruments". Do not underestimate it b/c it is a YA book. I tried to kind of skim it like I do alot of YA books & had to reread the first one due to it. So many twists & turns.

Fans of "Angel" will probably like this series.
New User
CountryAngel7
0 Kudos

If anybody likes

One Piece (Manga)
The Edge Chronicles
Harry Potter
A Series of Unfortunate Events
The Door Within (Series)
or
Love Comes Softly (Series)
send me a message please
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

arline wrote:
I love to read and re-read.  One of the best I've read this year was "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen.
It's a novel but could have been anyone's real life story.  Very telling!  I also read "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold and Ian McEwan "On Chesil Beach".  Some others that I really enjoyed were:

Victoria Decides To Die--- WONDERFUL!
Orpheus Lost
The Analyst

Has anyone read any of these?

Actually it's called Veronika Decides to Die. I've had that on my list for a while but I haven't bought it yet. I've seen alot of mixed reviews. I thought i'd start with a different Paulo Coelho book. Any recommendations?
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

I'm not certain how active this thread is, but I'll try a post.

I moved last July and had 100 boxes of books. To get rid of boxes my helper and I just put books on shelves and now I've been spending time organizing those books, getting rid of some, filling in some books by authors I "collect."

I collect -

fiction
Jeffrey Archer
Jean Auel
David Baldacci
Frank Delaney
Dorothea Benton Frank
Martha Grimes
John Grishom
Arthur Hailey
John Irving
Pam Jenoff
Jan Karon
John Le Carre
Robert Ludlum
Jacquelyn Mitchard
Anne Perry
J.K. Rowling
Scott Turow
Nancy Zaroulis
(this is all I can remember)

classics (English and American)

non-fiction
Joseph Ellis
Niall Ferguson (and the books he uses in his courses at Harvard)
David Halbertson
Walter Isaacson
biographies
auto-biographies
history
politics

KathyH
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

KathyH wrote:
I'm not certain how active this thread is, but I'll try a post.

I moved last July and had 100 boxes of books. To get rid of boxes my helper and I just put books on shelves and now I've been spending time organizing those books, getting rid of some, filling in some books by authors I "collect."

I collect -

fiction
Jeffrey Archer
Jean Auel
David Baldacci
Frank Delaney
Dorothea Benton Frank
Martha Grimes
John Grishom
Arthur Hailey
John Irving
Pam Jenoff
Jan Karon
John Le Carre
Robert Ludlum
Jacquelyn Mitchard
Anne Perry
J.K. Rowling
Scott Turow
Nancy Zaroulis
(this is all I can remember)

classics (English and American)

non-fiction
Joseph Ellis
Niall Ferguson (and the books he uses in his courses at Harvard)
David Halbertson
Walter Isaacson
biographies
auto-biographies
history
politics

KathyH

That sounds like quite a big job. i can't imagine having to pack up all my books, though I don't have as many as you do.
My shelves are loosely organized, I have classics together and non-fiction separate from fiction. Mostly I just try to separate the read from the not-yet-read. I should try to organize better so I can keep track of what I have and not accidentally re-buy books I already have.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

Hi Deb,

I leave for Chautauqua, New York next Wednesday and return July 12. I really want to get my personal library at home organized. I have a number of individual books I've enjoyed, many which I discovered through the former Barnes and Noble University. I work at a church, so my religious/theological/spiritual books are housed in my office there, thank goodness!

I'll try to log in from Chautauqua. I'm ordering some books from B&N online and will have them mailed there!

KathyH
Contributor
Silk
0 Kudos

I am astounded so many people have a to read list! If I buy, get a book I start reading it! I have books stored in so many handy crevices just in case I have time to pick it up. This can be distracting as I can get carried away with the book to the detriment of what I should be doing. 

I am sorry to all those who thoroughly recommend a book as I do have good intentions to go and get it but all to often I end up with something totally different. I am no good at buying specific books as I tend to get distracted during book purchasing. If I pick up a book I open it at random and my attention is hooked after a few sentances I take it home. It is this reason I have so many books by so many authors and so many genre. 

However I have tried on many occasions, after recommendation, to pick up J K Rowling but I failed be interested enough to read even a couple of lines and I had the same reaction with the Lord of the Rings.

I have re read many books and gained more on second reading;
I re read Wuthering Heights as a grown up having been told it was so much more to it but failed to see the greatness then either. 
I read Patricia Cornwells books as a student within a related field. Now re reading them as a professional I can relate to them so much more! (I wear a white lab coat at work- 'nough said)