Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
FritzTheBear
0 Kudos

Re: When you found you loved to Read?

Had a Christmas vacation with no where to go between college semesters, so checked out four or five Charles Dickens novels from the library and got so absorbed, I read them all in the two and a half week vacation.

After that, I found I could now read enormous amounts without difficulty, and haven't stopped reading voraciously in both fiction and non-fiction in the 40 years since.
Frequent Contributor
fiveclocksmwhere
0 Kudos

I guess I can thank a teacher for my love of reading. In the 2nd grade I was lagging behind in my reading classes altho I was unaware of it. My teacher (who was incidentally my Sunday School teacher) thought I had more potential so she tutored me for a while before I made it to the highest reading level of that grade. I think she pushed me and as a result the world of reading became open to me.

I LOVED it. I fell in love with the library. My parents had 4 children & very little extra cash. Book were luxuries we rarely bought. I couldn't believe that aisle after aisle of books were there at the library & that I could take them home! The whole place seemed a magical wonder.

I've never looked back or lost my love of reading.
Contributor
Silk
0 Kudos

We did not have a tv till I was in my teens and I can remember Mummy reading to me; which she says she only did till I went to school at 4. I cant sleep without reading a book and I am bored without a book to fill 15 mins. 

I think its the old adage of are you in love or do you love.

Any book I pick up I can get goosebumps from the distinctive smell, old or new, the anticipation of opening the cover and the action of turning a page. I did not have to find out I loved to read which to me means I simply do.  
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Silk wrote:
We did not have a tv till I was in my teens and I can remember Mummy reading to me; which she says she only did till I went to school at 4. I cant sleep without reading a book and I am bored without a book to fill 15 mins. 

Any book I pick up I can get goosebumps from the distinctive smell, old or new, the anticipation of opening the cover and the action of turning a page. I did not have to find out I loved to read which to me means I simply do.  

Silk, that sounds so true! So simple. We just love to read!
Contributor
TCovington
0 Kudos

I found my love for reading about the 2nd grade and the amazing thing is that I almost failed first grade because they said my reading wasn't up to standards, guess I didn't like much then. :smileyhappy:
Reading has become a passion and often times a much needed outlet.

TRAE TRAE
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Lovetoread09 wrote:
I knew that I loved to read when I was in the 4th grade growing up in Brooklyn, NY. We used to have a flyer from the "Arrow Book Club" and I would save every penny from my allowance and use all my money to purchase books. I was so excited when my order came in, that I would read forever and inside I couldn't wait until the new flyer came in so I could continue. Sounds a bit crazy huh? Well....now I am grown up with 2 girls of my own they know that there is no better gift for Mom then a Barnes and Noble gift card with a trip planned to the store!
I'm new to the bookclub and look forward all the great reading suggestions....thanks!
RM

Brooklyn must breed readers! I can remember the thrill of reading Dr. Seuss for the first time. I think I was in second or third grade. The rhyme at the end of each sentence... bliss!
Frequent Contributor
julyso
0 Kudos

I can't remember a time when I didn't love to read.  I have always read and have always loved books.  I am always reading a book, usually more than one!  I have books everywhere in my house!  It is my addiction:smileyhappy:  I also remember the flyers we got at school and I loved to order those books.  I always loved to read out loud at school, reading was the one thing I was really good at. My mom is a huge reader and I guess she passed it on to me-thank goodness!  It is nice to hear from other readers:smileyvery-happy:
Julie
Contributor
Kris11
0 Kudos

I vividly remember it. My Mom walked me to first grade and I met the teacher, and told her I wanted to go home, and she said, well, we're going to learn to read today, so if you don't like it, you can go home, we began to read then, and I never went home and I never looked back!!!! Kris

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Timbuktu1 wrote:

Lovetoread09 wrote:
I knew that I loved to read when I was in the 4th grade growing up in Brooklyn, NY. We used to have a flyer from the "Arrow Book Club" and I would save every penny from my allowance and use all my money to purchase books. I was so excited when my order came in, that I would read forever and inside I couldn't wait until the new flyer came in so I could continue. Sounds a bit crazy huh? Well....now I am grown up with 2 girls of my own they know that there is no better gift for Mom then a Barnes and Noble gift card with a trip planned to the store!
I'm new to the bookclub and look forward all the great reading suggestions....thanks!
RM

Brooklyn must breed readers! I can remember the thrill of reading Dr. Seuss for the first time. I think I was in second or third grade. The rhyme at the end of each sentence... bliss!

It sounds like we all share many similar experiences. I loved the book orders we got to do in school! My mom was a huge reading fan too so most of the time she let me order as many as I wanted. When the order would come in and I saw that big stack of books that the teacher had for me - such joy! I know it sounds ridiculous but it made me so happy. And the prices were good too. When my teens were younger we ordered a ton of books from the same kinds of orders. I was just as excited as they were. The toys and craft kits, etc. were not such a great deal. You got what you paid for. Their school also had book fairs where the company would send the books to be purchased and taken home at the time of the sale. They were beautiful and a good idea but also very pricey. That was a special occassion and usually only one book for each child was all we could afford. Now that my kids are older they wouldn't be caught dead buying from a book order. They aren't even brought home anymore. Reading is not a big priority for them right now but it's something I hope they will come back to someday. And I do look for special interests items for them like magazines about their favorite sports and other things that will hold their interest. I don't want it to be a chore so I'm always watching for things that will keep it an enjoyable experience for them. Reading comprehension has not been their strong point in school because they rush through the required reading just to get it over with. Then they don't do well on the tests. I don't want those kinds issues to be the ones to turn them off from reading forever.
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

I can't remember a time I didn't love reading- indeed, my most horrible punishment- one that was imposed on several occasions when I was young was being "grounded" from the library! 
New User
Margaret08
0 Kudos

Oh, my gosh! I remember looking at books when I was as young as two... Peter Rabbit, Bre'er Rabbit, and The House That Jack Built were my favorites. I don't remember learning to read, but a big day in my life was getting my library card at age 6. The first book I checked out was CDB (see the bee). Nancy Drew.... polish one off in a day. I am also very competitive, and when my local library would have contests, I would take home stacks of books that my arms were barely long enough to carry. I would read anything, including the Jacqueline Suzanne and Sidney Sheldon titles that my mom had lying around and that were far TOO OLD for me. I just love being in that world. Since my children were babies, they have always instinctively cooperated and allowed me one hour every morning to read with a cup of coffee... a ritual I still practice. Maybe it's because they are teen-age boys, but despite the fact that I read to them both nightly until they were each 9 or 10, they hate to read!!!!! It baffles me. Ever hopeful, I still put 3 or 4 books under the tree each Christmas. Having reached middle age, I actually worry that there are books I may never read....or I'll forget the ones I have (guilty). Love? Compulsion? Reading, it's either my greatest virtue or my greatest vice.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

We could be twins separated at birth, except that my mother read to me far beyond four. One of my sister's and my favorite summer afternoon activities when it was too hot to play outside and we had spent enough time reading on our own was to listen to mother read to us. I distinctly remember when she offered to read a book about birds and fat women and I said no way, until I heard from my room this story about children and boats. I've been hooked on AR ever since, and got my children hooked on him, too. I'm betting that you, raised in England in a reading family in perhaps my general generation, are perfectly familiar with the book I mean.

Silk wrote:

0 Kudos

I was raised in England, but sorry I am not sure of the book you ellude to! AR?

As children in school we had to read a series with- Roger the Red Hat and associates. I really wanted to get to read Jennifer the Yellow Hat first in school as it was the highest level in the series; I wanted to be just like her. Only now with my wide reading and social development I hope I have attained a higher level than Jennifers 2D image!

Mine was a small rural primary school and our 'Library' was a small wardrobe painted red and put on wheels . I felt like one of the most important people in the world being able to help push and pull the 'Library' out and help take books in and out. I still feel very proud of that memory and realise it has been a lifelong love that cannot be replaced by any other media, no matter how well developed.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Arthur Ransome.

Starting with Swallows and Amazons -- which from title I assumed meant it was about birds and fat women, but in fact was very, very much not and is a beloved book both of myself and my daughters.

Silk wrote:
I was raised in England, but sorry I am not sure of the book you ellude to! AR?

As children in school we had to read a series with- Roger the Red Hat and associates. I really wanted to get to read Jennifer the Yellow Hat first in school as it was the highest level in the series; I wanted to be just like her. Only now with my wide reading and social development I hope I have attained a higher level than Jennifers 2D image!

Mine was a small rural primary school and our 'Library' was a small wardrobe painted red and put on wheels . I felt like one of the most important people in the world being able to help push and pull the 'Library' out and help take books in and out. I still feel very proud of that memory and realise it has been a lifelong love that cannot be replaced by any other media, no matter how well developed.

0 Kudos

I have always been rabid about books. Both of my parents read to me when I was little, and then I'd read to them...or my dolls...or the dog...or the cat

I was BEYOND excited when I went to the bookfair in first grade and bought my first book with MY money (okay, i know now that Pop helped)...and I still have it and read it...it's entitled "The Golden Treasury of Children's Literature". I have all manner of books from my childhood stashed at their house to this day. :smileyhappy:

YAY for books!
Reader 4
bookfan55
0 Kudos

I have such great memories of reading as a child. The monthly book orders...Arrow and Scholastic. The book fairs when I was little...I remember beautifully illustrated versions of Little Women and Mary Poppins (the movie version). Going to the library every Saturday with my dad and taking home 10 books...the limit for kids at the time. I remember my mother's friend who was a teacher bringing home books from her school library for me to read. And getting books out of our school library, going back to class and having silent reading time to start our new books. I was a very shy and solitary child, so books were my best friends. When I got a little older, I tried to write my own stories...creative writing became an outlet for me, and the more I read, the more I wanted to write.

To this day, I cannot live without my books. I share books with colleagues at work and with my friends. I have only recently started contributing to these message boards, and I am always looking for a new book to read and following up on my favorite authors. It is disappointing that neither of my children are avid readers; I believe that they were turned off from reading by being forced to read the most difficult or boring books while in high school, because when they were small, they were both voracious readers. My daughter was hooked on Babysitters Club, among others, in elementary school, and my son read the first 4 Harry Potters in 3 months when he was in 4th grade. I hope they will come back to reading some day, because it is so much a part of my life.

Now I look forward to reading and sharing what I read with my husband and friends, and following my favorite authors. When I walk into a bookstore or a library, it is physically impossible to come out empty-handed. I think I have an addiction to books!
Contributor
Michaelpinner
0 Kudos

hi well i enjoyed reading more as I got older got tired watching the same old thing on tv, what led me to reading was red dragon by thomas harris from their on Ive reading gaot burnt out from reading then i came back to reading last fall and havent stop since . mainly a paperback reader I enjoy various authors just getting into jeffrey deaver and som berkley crime mysteries i just finish reading the juds strain by james rollin and now readind killer weekend by ridley pearson but i do enjoy reading and enjoy having my coffee while
I read how about you what do you enjoy while your reading?
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

I have loved to read since the time I learned to read. I remember going with my mother, who loved to read also, to the our public library. She was a wonderful role model for me.
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

My parent's book shelves fascinated me. I would sit on the floor and pull books out. No pictures. For hours I would look at the books wanting to decipher their secrets and leaving a mess of books on the floor. By age ten I did finish reading a book for adults and felt proud.
Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
Contributor
IReadForFun
0 Kudos

I don't remember ever not loving to read.   What I do remember is vivid memories of my parents reading to me as a small child and then eventually me reading those same books (from memory probably) back to them.  

I also remember being perhaps 11 or 12 and going to the library VERY regularly.   My parents would take me but as I wanted to go quite often, I ended up walking quite a bit of the times.  It was about a half hour walk for me and I would check out as many as I could carry (a stack) and hurry home to devour them.   Even now when I go to the library, I get butterflies.   I know it's crazy but true.   I love the sight and smell of books. 

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities...

-Albus Dumbledore