Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
myykuul
0 Kudos

Who has read anything by Irish writer Stuart Neville

I just finished The Ghosts of Belfast, which is set in that city after the Northern Ireland Troubles during the late 1960s - 90s. It is a war story -  as the prominent characters were active in and survived the bloody clashes between the nationalists, the unionists, and British troops. Everyone has blood on their hands.

The central character (hardly a protagonist, which is refreshing) is a former IRA soldier, ex-con named Fagen who is literally haunted by those he killed and who now want his former bosses dead. I started the second book, Ratlines, which continues the story and introduces a police detective, central to the story, who is also an anti-hero of sorts. Both men may be capable of selfless acts but the author knows enough about human nature to not let that rise up without painful psychological, and often physical, consequences.

Easy to recommend to anyone who prefers central characters with personality issues (being diplomatic here - some of these bastards would test high on the Hare Psychopathy Checklist) who struggle to work with and around government authorities and leaders of illegal enterprises that are difficult to tell apart at times. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Who has read anything by Irish writer Stuart Neville

myykuul wrote:

I just finished The Ghosts of Belfast, which is set in that city after the Northern Ireland Troubles during the late 1960s - 90s. It is a war story -  as the prominent characters were active in and survived the bloody clashes between the nationalists, the unionists, and British troops. Everyone has blood on their hands.

The central character (hardly a protagonist, which is refreshing) is a former IRA soldier, ex-con named Fagen who is literally haunted by those he killed and who now want his former bosses dead. I started the second book, Ratlines, which continues the story and introduces a police detective, central to the story, who is also an anti-hero of sorts. Both men may be capable of selfless acts but the author knows enough about human nature to not let that rise up without painful psychological, and often physical, consequences.

Easy to recommend to anyone who prefers central characters with personality issues (being diplomatic here - some of these bastards would test high on the Hare Psychopathy Checklist) who struggle to work with and around government authorities and leaders of illegal enterprises that are difficult to tell apart at times. 

Hi myykuul, and thanks so much for your great comments on Stuarts novel

I do have it in my very large TBR pile and now it's going closer to the top thanks to you

I hope you visit the forum often

deb

Contributor
myykuul
0 Kudos

Thanks, Deb, I'll endeavor to post a bit more; my reading list is eclectic and driven by mood so it may be fun to toss a few lines about my recent reads :-)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

myykuul wrote:

Thanks, Deb, I'll endeavor to post a bit more; my reading list is eclectic and driven by mood so it may be fun to toss a few lines about my recent reads :-)

Ah A reader after my own eclectic reading heart. 

I look forward to your posts :smileyhappy: