Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
txcntygrl
0 Kudos

Re: Young Adult Book Nostalgia (From the 1980s and early 1990s)

I wonder if anyone can remember these books they were out sometime in early 1990's around the time that goosebumps was popular. It always shown these people on the front cover in various stages of changing into an animal and i know that it came out with the tv show. I need help remembering the name?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

txcntygrl wrote:

I wonder if anyone can remember these books they were out sometime in early 1990's around the time that goosebumps was popular. It always shown these people on the front cover in various stages of changing into an animal and i know that it came out with the tv show. I need help remembering the name?

hmmm, I'm at a loss over this one. Anyone?

txcmtugrl, you might try lost books

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Lost-Books/bd-p/lostbooks

New User
lizangelyn
0 Kudos

This was called Animorphs, I believe.

Here's one I need help with:

There is a book about a girl staying in a castle or mansion with some family member. Late at night she hears scratching at her door or maybe in the walls and it turns out to be a jackal. I can't remember much of the plot beyond that but I remember it being a little scary. I think maybe the girl has a skeleton key that locks her door? The details are fuzzy but I feel like the title has something to do with the tower or maybe the key. I also think maybe the mansion or castle is by the sea. Any help would be great.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

lizangelyn wrote:

This was called Animorphs, I believe.

Here's one I need help with:

There is a book about a girl staying in a castle or mansion with some family member. Late at night she hears scratching at her door or maybe in the walls and it turns out to be a jackal. I can't remember much of the plot beyond that but I remember it being a little scary. I think maybe the girl has a skeleton key that locks her door? The details are fuzzy but I feel like the title has something to do with the tower or maybe the key. I also think maybe the mansion or castle is by the sea. Any help would be great.

Visser (Animorphs Series)  

There are a bunch of these.  Hope you are on the money, Liz.  Sorry I can't help you with your question, however.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Reader 4
b3th
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sullyvann wrote:

Wow, I'm so glad to have found this thread! I have a book that I've been trying to remember for AGES.

I only remember the cover and vaugley the premise. It's a young teenage girl with long blonde hair and I think that she lives on the moon. America has figured out how to get huge bubbles of air on the moon to make them inhabitable, which is what's on the cover. She wears a hot pink jumpsuit on the cover.

I think it was an old book when I read it in elementary, and I'm 22, so it was probably from the 80s. Anyone...?

It sounds to me like 'This Place Has No Atmosphere' by Paula Danziger.

New User
KDavis7504
0 Kudos

I FOUND MY BOOK!!! YAY!!! It's called "You Can Never Go Home Again" and it's by Dyan Sheldon!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

KDavis7504 wrote:

I FOUND MY BOOK!!! YAY!!! It's called "You Can Never Go Home Again" and it's by Dyan Sheldon!

That's great KDavis YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you enjoy reading it.

New User
MED79
0 Kudos

You may be talking about Whispers from the Grave where the girls are actually sisters.

this book though at first where this girl with some sort of psychic powers is recruited by this company (or something like that) to time travel.  She ends up going to the 60s I believe.  Her "friend" in her time had unusual eyes, two different colors.

New User
Eurynome
0 Kudos

I found this thread while trying to remember some books I read as a kid.  My favorite books in the 80s were

Encyclopedia Brown series

Summer of Fear by Lois Duncan (found with the help of this thread!)

Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade by Barthe Declements

Nancy Drew

The Hobbit & the Lord of the Rings

Serendipty Series by Stephen Cosgrove (very early 80s)

Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar

McBroom's Ghost by Sid Fleischman

I'm going to check out the Lost Books thread now to see if I can ferret out more books. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

MED79 wrote:

You may be talking about Whispers from the Grave where the girls are actually sisters.

this book though at first where this girl with some sort of psychic powers is recruited by this company (or something like that) to time travel.  She ends up going to the 60s I believe.  Her "friend" in her time had unusual eyes, two different colors.

Thanks Med, I hope you helped the member find what they were looking for and I hope you stop back by and visit, tell us what you're reading or just to chat

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Eurynome wrote:

I found this thread while trying to remember some books I read as a kid.  My favorite books in the 80s were

Encyclopedia Brown series

Summer of Fear by Lois Duncan (found with the help of this thread!)

Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade by Barthe Declements

Nancy Drew

The Hobbit & the Lord of the Rings

Serendipty Series by Stephen Cosgrove (very early 80s)

Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar

McBroom's Ghost by Sid Fleischman

I'm going to check out the Lost Books thread now to see if I can ferret out more books. 

Hi Eurynome, and welcome to the forum, thanks for the list and I do hope you find more in Lost Books, stop back by and tell us.

New User
mag8201
0 Kudos

I hope someone can help me! I read a book when I was in high school (so it was between 96 and 2000) but I don't know when it was written. I don't know the author either. It was about some teens who go to an island (don't remember why) but they start disappearing one by one. As it turns out, one of them is a drama student and I think it was either her or someone that really hated her that was killing off the other teens because she had a crush on one of the guys but one of the other girl's was his girlfriend. I think her name started with a B - like betty or besty or something like that. The cover was dark, with an island that looked like a skull image on it. Does anyone know what book I'm talking about?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

mag8201 wrote:

I hope someone can help me! I read a book when I was in high school (so it was between 96 and 2000) but I don't know when it was written. I don't know the author either. It was about some teens who go to an island (don't remember why) but they start disappearing one by one. As it turns out, one of them is a drama student and I think it was either her or someone that really hated her that was killing off the other teens because she had a crush on one of the guys but one of the other girl's was his girlfriend. I think her name started with a B - like betty or besty or something like that. The cover was dark, with an island that looked like a skull image on it. Does anyone know what book I'm talking about?

mag, I hope someone here can help, and I'm going to ask my daughter too who graduated in 98, but also take your question to lost books and you might want to try the mystery board too, Becke the moderator there is a great help and a reading fanatic too.

Reader 2
sc10773
0 Kudos

I would really like help with these...

There was a book club for young adult girls in the early to mid-80s that sent auto shipments every month or so.  I only remember a couple of the plot lines, but would love to start rediscovering these.  

1.  One book was about a petite girl who becomes a teen model.

2.  A book about a young (not so popular girl) who builds dollhouses as a hobby.  She starts working with another dollhouse enthusiast who happens to be the mother of a popular boy at school.  The two begin working on dollhouses together.

3.  A girl moves to an island or Cape Cod-like community and meets a boy.  I seem to remember a mystery regarding a lighthouse or the beach or...something.  

Wish I could be more helpful on these but it has been over 20 years.  :-)

I'm also trying to remember another set of books that were around at the same time as the Sweet Valley High and Cheerleaders books. These books involved three sisters - all very different.  One was athletic, one was bookish smart and I can't remember about the third.  Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance!!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

sc10773 wrote:

I would really like help with these...

There was a book club for young adult girls in the early to mid-80s that sent auto shipments every month or so.  I only remember a couple of the plot lines, but would love to start rediscovering these.  

1.  One book was about a petite girl who becomes a teen model.

2.  A book about a young (not so popular girl) who builds dollhouses as a hobby.  She starts working with another dollhouse enthusiast who happens to be the mother of a popular boy at school.  The two begin working on dollhouses together.

3.  A girl moves to an island or Cape Cod-like community and meets a boy.  I seem to remember a mystery regarding a lighthouse or the beach or...something.  

Wish I could be more helpful on these but it has been over 20 years.  :-)

I'm also trying to remember another set of books that were around at the same time as the Sweet Valley High and Cheerleaders books. These books involved three sisters - all very different.  One was athletic, one was bookish smart and I can't remember about the third.  Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance!!!

sc I sure hope you find the books you're looking for, remeber to ask on the Lost Books forum too.

New User
bibliobrouhaha
0 Kudos

Okay, I remember an MG series that I read when I was 12 or something in the early 90s.  It was about a group of friends at a boarding school, and I think there was a supernatural element involved, but not like they were all vampires or something.  It was more like they tried to solve mysteries with a supernatural element.  I think one of the books had an Egyptian tie-in, with a scarab involved somehow?  Am I nuts?  Did this series exist?  Any help is much appreciated!

New User
PenofLight
0 Kudos

WOW!! I cannot believe that someone elase was looking for this same book! Thank you for posting and getting a name for this book! I am nearly 38 and read this when I was a little girl. I have thought about this book for years and could never remember much about it other than it was a story about a girl that lived in a bubble colony on the moon! Thank you again!

Contributor
Furrytreats
0 Kudos

I've been trying to collect some books that I read back in the day for my kids. I'm at a loss for the name of one. All I can remember is it being about 2 friends who were from very different from each other (one was from a poorer household) and them growing up and apart. The one from the poorer household I think was a brunette and ended up going to an ivy league school.

(one of their names might have been samantha, but I could be totally making that up)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Furrytreats wrote:

I've been trying to collect some books that I read back in the day for my kids. I'm at a loss for the name of one. All I can remember is it being about 2 friends who were from very different from each other (one was from a poorer household) and them growing up and apart. The one from the poorer household I think was a brunette and ended up going to an ivy league school.

(one of their names might have been samantha, but I could be totally making that up)

Hi Furrytreats, welcome to the General Fiction forum

It doesn't sound familiar to me but also try the lost books forum here

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Lost-Books/bd-p/lostbooks

and I hope you find what you're looking for.

New User
lizerlu
0 Kudos

Did anyone ever figure out the name of this book?  It's not the book by Lois Duncan.  I remember that the girl had puppets in her room and they would move around and taunt her.  I loved this book and I can't remember the name.