Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Young Adult Book Nostalgia (From the 1980s and early 1990s)

Meelapo wrote:

Okay...this is a long shot because I don't have a lot of details but here goes...

When I was younger I read this series of books (early 1990s) that had an occult theme. All I can remember is that there was the main character who was a young boy, his african american friend who enjoyed playing the bongos, and the main characters grandfather/uncle. In one of the subplots of one of the books the main character's friend gets possessed by something.

Google saves the day. I remembered that one of the books had the word "clock" in the title so I searched for "young adult 1990s book clock" and the ninth result was the authors name (John Bellairs). Wow!

so Meelapo, was that the series you were looking for

The House with The Clock in Its Walls  

good job google, I use it oh 200 times a day myself :smileyhappy:

New User
Meelapo
0 Kudos

Yep, that's the series I was looking for. I needed to read this thread to get the thinking juices flowing because I've tried to remember the name of the author or book for a long time and while reading this thread it just came to me.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Meelapo wrote:

Yep, that's the series I was looking for. I needed to read this thread to get the thinking juices flowing because I've tried to remember the name of the author or book for a long time and while reading this thread it just came to me.

Great, isn't it funny how something can just trigger a memory.

I hope to see you on the board more and hope that there are things presented here to keep you coming back.

New User
mynameisr
0 Kudos

Good lord, I love the 80s!  I'm so glad I found your post - I'm buying Karen Kepplewhite today!  I also loved The Kidnapping of Courtney Van Allen and What's-Her-Name, The Secret Diary of Katie Dinkerhoff, and The Rise and Fall of a Teen Age Wacko.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

mynameisr wrote:

Good lord, I love the 80s!  I'm so glad I found your post - I'm buying Karen Kepplewhite today!  I also loved The Kidnapping of Courtney Van Allen and What's-Her-Name, The Secret Diary of Katie Dinkerhoff, and The Rise and Fall of a Teen Age Wacko.

mynameisr, I'm glad you found the thread and post too.

and I hope you stop by and tell us more about what you love to read and what you're reading now.

The Kidnapping of Courtney Van Allen and What's-Her-Name 

The Rise and Fall of a Teen Age Wacko  

The Secret Diary of Katie Dinkerhoff   

Reader 2
sc10773
0 Kudos

Perfect! I also found the lighthouse book. It is Something Out There by Leslie Davis and was part of the Especially for Girls book club The three sisters book series is, funnily enough, the Sisters Series and starts with Three's a Crowd by Jennifer Cole. I am still looking for the book about dollhouses though....
New User
Cali4niaRN
0 Kudos

I'm hoping someone here can help!  I am trying to remember the title of a book I read in elementary school (late 80s-early 90s).  The plot involves a girl who suspects her neighbor of being a witch.  Her mother begins to use space in the neighbor's home for an art studio (I think), but starts behaving weirdly.  The girl finds out that the neighbor actually is a witch and has been influencing her mother via the tea she serves and gives her to take home.  Anyone know the name of this book? 

New User
Jyxr25
0 Kudos

Hey everyone, I am looking for a sci-fi series I read in the eighties. Can't remember title or author, just a few details. After reading other posts here, I am sure someone can help me.  

It was about a group of teenagers who lived on another planet. they lived in a multi-domed city. one of the girls names was phillipa but they called her Pippa.  i think they had little pets that were like pompoms with eyes and legs. they wore one piece jumpsuit.

anyone?

New User
Mom_of_3
0 Kudos

"Mom of 3

This was the Sunset Island spin off about Darcy by Cherie Bennett!  There are 3 books about Darcy:

Sunset after Dark, Berkley (New York, NY), 1993.

Sunset after Hours, Berkley (New York, NY), 1993.

Sunset after Midnight, Berkley (New York, NY), 1993.

The rest of the Sunset books were about Sam, Carrie and Emma."

alienshadow:  I don't think I ever replied and thanked you for your answer...I'm definitely gonna go out and find these books for my daughter!  Thanks so much!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Cali4niaRN wrote:

I'm hoping someone here can help!  I am trying to remember the title of a book I read in elementary school (late 80s-early 90s).  The plot involves a girl who suspects her neighbor of being a witch.  Her mother begins to use space in the neighbor's home for an art studio (I think), but starts behaving weirdly.  The girl finds out that the neighbor actually is a witch and has been influencing her mother via the tea she serves and gives her to take home.  Anyone know the name of this book? 

Ah, I've been neglecting my duties here, I apologize

Cali, this one is stumping me, I've searched and have come up empty handed, I would suggest you try on PGA's Paranormal forum -http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/bd-p/vpttn

and also lost books

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Lost-Books/bd-p/lostbooks

and Good Luck!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Jyxr25 wrote:

Hey everyone, I am looking for a sci-fi series I read in the eighties. Can't remember title or author, just a few details. After reading other posts here, I am sure someone can help me.  

It was about a group of teenagers who lived on another planet. they lived in a multi-domed city. one of the girls names was phillipa but they called her Pippa.  i think they had little pets that were like pompoms with eyes and legs. they wore one piece jumpsuit.

anyone?

Let's just play stump the moderator because this one is also off my radar and my daughter who was a child of the 80s only read contemporary fiction like The Babysiter's Club and other of those types of reads.

my suggestion is the same as for the last commenter

PGA's Sci-Fi forum this time - http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/bd-p/fsf

and lost books

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Lost-Books/bd-p/lostbooks

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mom_of_3 wrote:

"Mom of 3

This was the Sunset Island spin off about Darcy by Cherie Bennett!  There are 3 books about Darcy:

Sunset after Dark, Berkley (New York, NY), 1993.

Sunset after Hours, Berkley (New York, NY), 1993.

Sunset after Midnight, Berkley (New York, NY), 1993.

The rest of the Sunset books were about Sam, Carrie and Emma."

alienshadow:  I don't think I ever replied and thanked you for your answer...I'm definitely gonna go out and find these books for my daughter!  Thanks so much!

I'm glad you got the help you needed :smileyhappy:

thanks for visiting

New User
Cali4niaRN
0 Kudos

I actually found it!  It's called "The Witch Herself" and it's part of The Witch Saga by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Cali4niaRN wrote:

I actually found it!  It's called "The Witch Herself" and it's part of The Witch Saga by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. 

I'm glad you found it Cali4niaRN :smileyhappy:

The Witch Herself  

New User
MidnightBookGirl
0 Kudos

Monster by Christopher Pike
New User
mrpaulysir
0 Kudos

I too have been looking for this book, found this forum and joined it. Bad news, this post is six years old. Good news, I found it :smileyvery-happy: The book is called Stranger With My Face, by Lois Duncan. I haven't read it since i was in junior high, back in the early 80's. So on the outside chance that you're still looking for this information, there you go :smileyvery-happy:

dhaupt

mrpaulysir wrote:

I too have been looking for this book, found this forum and joined it. Bad news, this post is six years old. Good news, I found it :smileyvery-happy: The book is called Stranger With My Face, by Lois Duncan. I haven't read it since i was in junior high, back in the early 80's. So on the outside chance that you're still looking for this information, there you go :smileyvery-happy:

hi mrpaulysir, and welcome thanks for the information and even though the original questioner may not be here you just may have answered the question for someone else.

i hope you visit the board often. :smileyhappy:

New User
burez10
0 Kudos

I am looking for a Young Adult book and I am sorry this is very vague but it was about two girls who were friends and on a swim team together but started to grow apart as one girl becomes popular.  The less popular girl ends up befriending a girl named Martha or Marta and also has a crush on her brother.  She ends up freeing all the frogs from science class so not to disect them.  I can picture the cover of the book and it is the two girls in a store and the less popular, dark haired girl is standing in front of a mirror either wearing or holding up an unflattering pink dress while the other girl laughs.  I can't picture the title of the book or the authors name though.  This has been driving me crazy!  Help!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

burez10 wrote:

I am looking for a Young Adult book and I am sorry this is very vague but it was about two girls who were friends and on a swim team together but started to grow apart as one girl becomes popular.  The less popular girl ends up befriending a girl named Martha or Marta and also has a crush on her brother.  She ends up freeing all the frogs from science class so not to disect them.  I can picture the cover of the book and it is the two girls in a store and the less popular, dark haired girl is standing in front of a mirror either wearing or holding up an unflattering pink dress while the other girl laughs.  I can't picture the title of the book or the authors name though.  This has been driving me crazy!  Help!

I hope you find what You're looking for, I haven't a clue

don't forget to add it here too, in Lost Books http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Lost-Books/bd-p/lostbooks

New User
MidnightBookGirl
0 Kudos

It's called The Worry Week by Anne Lindbergh, she was one of my favorite authors growing up! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/835990.The_Worry_Week