Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook

book buying addicts?

Do many of you have the same problem I do? I buy books like crazy and end up with a huge pile of unread books. I read alot, but not as fast as I can buy them. My online book shopping has gotten out of control. Now I have the problem of too many choices and I can't seem to start a book without putting it down and picking up another. I have a lot of books in my shopping cart but am holding off on buying them until I have read a few of the books I already own. I also prefer them new, rather than going to the library, something about the smell of new books!!
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: book buying addicts?

debbook wrote:
Do many of you have the same problem I do? I buy books like crazy and end up with a huge pile of unread books. I read alot, but not as fast as I can buy them. My online book shopping has gotten out of control. Now I have the problem of too many choices and I can't seem to start a book without putting it down and picking up another. I have a lot of books in my shopping cart but am holding off on buying them until I have read a few of the books I already own. I also prefer them new, rather than going to the library, something about the smell of new books!!

Yes debbook-------I'm a "book buying addict" too! I have lots of newly purchased books that I haven't read yet!!! Buying books is my one big splurge. Sometimes, I'll give one away without even having read it. But I don't have difficulty picking out of my many choices to read. Sometimes I read more than one at the same time. Some people will ask---how can you do that? But I respond, it's no different from when I was in school and had to read different things at the same time for different classes. I also occasionally borrow books from the library. Right now I have some out from the library which  I'll probably have to renew, a couple of free borrowed digital books downloaded from the library which if I don't finish, I'll have to borrow again. And lately I'm on a buying books online kick. It is so much fun when I see a box of books has arrived for me in the mail! I also enjoy donating the books I'm done with and don't want to keep to relatives, friends or my public library.
Librarian
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

i'm usually reading more than one book at a time also. I keep one in my bag, one by the bed, and one for when I'm watching tv. when I am reading more then one at a time, they are usually a different genre. I know a lot of people that do this. When I read something that I just love, I try to loan it to someone that isn't much of a reader b/c I think that they will love it and get into reading more. Books that I don't like go to the library. Books that I haven't read are usualy mixed in with ones I have, so sometimes I go " shopping" in my own house, finding a book I forgot I had. That's when I know I'm really an addict!!!
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:
i'm usually reading more than one book at a time also. I keep one in my bag, one by the bed, and one for when I'm watching tv. when I am reading more then one at a time, they are usually a different genre. I know a lot of people that do this. When I read something that I just love, I try to loan it to someone that isn't much of a reader b/c I think that they will love it and get into reading more. Books that I don't like go to the library. Books that I haven't read are usualy mixed in with ones I have, so sometimes I go " shopping" in my own house, finding a book I forgot I had. That's when I know I'm really an addict!!!

I have piles and piles of books that I havn't gotten to yet.  My children always give me B&N gift cards for birthday and Christmas.  It doesn't take long to find something I want.  I usually have more than one book going - I listen to one in my car (1 hour drive each way to work) and one that I am reading.  I also make sure the books are not the same genre.   I actually have a spread sheet of all the books I own.  I have them catagoriezed by genre: fiction, biography, history, religion, juvenile, etc. then sorted by author.  If I don't do that, then I have a tendency to buy the same book again.
MG
Reader
cmkb5190
0 Kudos

Yes, I have the same problem. I also have piles of books everywhere. I hate to do away with any of my books, but due to a recent move I decided that I needed to do something. I found a website called paperbackswap.com. You can list books to trade. I received 2 books in the mail today (Ten Big Ones and The Memory Keeper's Daughter).

Happy Reading!

Carrie
Contributor
booksaremylife
0 Kudos

At one point I counted how many books I have that I haven't read yet, and I was up to like 115.  Some are my sister's though.  Since that count, I'd say I've added probably another dozen or more.  I usually buy books at second-hand stores but there are some authors I will only buy new.  I hate to give up books I really liked but I will share with others.  I will sometimes have a hard time starting books too because I'll go through them and see half a dozen I'd love to read right now so it can take some time finding the right one.  I tend not to read more than one at a time but that's because I have 3 young children, the youngest being 18 months.
New User
Mumba4
0 Kudos

I am definitely a book BUYING addict.. and to make it worse, I work in a bookstore where I get a 40% discount... and we deal in used books.. which I am free to take home .. so I spend most of my day there trying out "new to me" books.. can't put myself into any genre.. used to be historical novels.. non fiction... theology as it affects history.. etc etc.. NOW I feel a change coming and have about three books going at once.. "The Bin Ladens".. "The Bastard Of Istanbul".. and "The Devil In The White City".. none of them are making me happy... is it just boredom?... I know I fight with myself .. 'what will sound good to say "I read that" vs what do I really want to read?".. anyone out there have any suggestions.. maybe DON"T read for a while..
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Definitely an addict!  I have so many bookshelves, and still they're piled all over, and a respectable overflow have made their way onto my parents' bookshelves, too!  Lots in the TBR category, but I also reread books (which I why I want to own them).  I don't generally read more than one at a time, though.  The only way I can usually find the time to read is to stay up at night, and I'm also a slow reader, so one is enough for me.  The next couple of months, I'm going to try two of these reading groups at a time, so I'll see how I do!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8

Who among us isn't a book buying addict?  Ok used books and libraries are great, but there's something about going to the store and picking them out for yourself.  I hate checkout line books at the supermarket, but love to browse the book aisle at BJs (I'm there every 2 weeks) and a trip to B&N is usually a treat even though I'm only 2 towns away and the highway goes right by.  I do occasionally buy books online, usually for books that haven't come out yet or something that I really want to read or can't find in the store.

My TBR pile is amazingly huge.  I have 2 shelves of a bookcase in my bedroom piled deeply with my unreads and a full bookshelf in the living room of barely-ever reads that were given to me when my best friend moved to Maine.  Plus I buy, I borrow when I see something good on a friends shelf...  If they won't write their name in it, I even have a sheet that says who I loaned out to and who I've borrowed from on a clipboard in my bedroom.

I have just replaced my library card (which i lost in high school but I'm only 24), and haven't even used it yet.  There is a library 3 blocks from my house.

New books are like a brand new journey no one has been on before.  You get to crack the spine (god forbid!) if you want to or fold page corners that haven't been folded before...  I can't imagine doing it, but I know some people do it.  I'd rather write in pencil the page I'm on so I can erase it later...  I guess I am a book purist...   keep them clean.  :smileywink:
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
New User
HawkeyeTeacher

Guilty. I am a college student. I don't have a lot of money as it is. Yet somehow I have ended up with around 3,500 to 4,000 dollars in books in my room. I own a small library. I can't help myself, I go to the book store and buy 1-2 books every time. I just love to read. I see it as a blessing, not a curse. It actually impresses people how many books I have.
Frequent Contributor
msclapp223
0 Kudos

I am a total addict!  I buy books all the time so often in fact my husband asked me if I would consider using my library card because we were running out of room and shelf space for all of my books.  I always have a stack of books that I am working on reading.  At the moment I have a stack of about 6 books that I'm working on.  I will usually read two books at a time.  I will pick two things that are very different and begin both.  I know it sounds crazy but that's just how I have always been.  I would say that addict is a perfect word for me!
Jessi )0(
Frequent Contributor
butterfly30
0 Kudos

I am a total book buying addict!!  I have bought so many books in just this first half of the year.  I have not been to B/N in a couple of weeks and yesterday I had to go to the airport, I walked into one of the stores and walked right into the book section and I could just smell the new books.  It is a great smell.  I thought that I needed to go to B/N.
"Tomorrow Is A brand New Day With No Mistakes In It" Anne of Green Gables
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I know exactly how you feel. When this happens to me I either take a few days from reading or I go back and reread an old favorite. Its so hard not to be overwhelmed when there are so many great books out there, but sometimes i just can't find the right one for the mood I am in. That doesn't stop me from buying them though. I actually just ordered ' The Bastard of Istanbul '. I hadn't heard of it until I read your post, then I looked it up and it sounded like an interesting read. Also, I am reading " Dervishes " which takes place in Turkey, so I thought I might also like this. Did you settle on a book yet or take time off?
Contributor
mlasse
0 Kudos

I suppose I'm a bit late to this thread, but I loved the title!

The first place I locate in a new neighborhood is the library. I've always been a big fan of libraries, and I really don't mind reading "loved" books.

However, I also tend to purchase a lot of books. Every once in a while, I notice that the habit has gotten away from me, so I make a rule (or rules) for myself. These rules include any or all of the following:

1. I can only purchase a new book once I've read a book I already own.
2. I can only purchase a new book once I've read five that I already own (this is for when I've been *really* bad with the credit card...).
3. I will get fiction books from the library and only purchase a new book if it's non-fiction (or something that I will want to write in or highlight portions of).
4. I will gut my bookshelves and may only keep as many books as fit on the shelves (this doesn't really work because I just end up double- or triple-stacking books to cheat the rule).

When all else fails and I get really stressed out about my book-buying habit, I decide that it's time I pamper myself with some...new books! :smileyhappy:

Regards,
Mary
Contributor
esskay
0 Kudos

Please don't feel that you are alone.  I have two bookshelves full of books.  I love new books.  I love to spend time wandering around Barnes and Noble looking for the next great purchase.  I usually buy from the bargain section. 
Sandra
Correspondent
LindaEducation

I am also always buying books. I have a small pile of books in the bedroom, dining room and back room.  My house is a 1920s bungalow so it is not a very big house. We have bookshelves all over and I am still running out of room! I was just telling my husband the other day he will either have to build a bigger book shelf or we will have to buy some.  And then when my older sister comes over to visit, I would say half the time she hands me a paperbag full of books she has read, and she never wants them returned! So I have hers too LOL!

It does not bother me though.  A good house is one that is filled with books!

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Frequent Contributor
jaimi1
0 Kudos

I am definitely one.  Sometimes I buy one and then sometimes I buy a lot more than that. I have stacks and then I get overwhelmed because I don't know what to read next. And then friends give me books to read because they know I am a reader and I can't say no because I don't want to hurt their feelings because they are my friends. Then I am really overwhelmed.  And then I have to be in a certain mood to read a certain book. Sometimes it is a dilemma.  But I still love my books and buying books is never going to change. I could be doing worse things.

Jaimi

Contributor
IReadForFun
0 Kudos

I'm definitely a book addict.   I just can't resist buying books.  I used to go to the library all the time but then I gradually started buying and now I can't stop.  Not only that, I've become a bit of a book snob in that I only read hard back.  

I just love the feel of a new book, knowing that copy hasn't been read by anyone else.   I go into Barnes & Noble and my stomach does a flip flop.  I can't leave without buying at least one book for myself or my kids.  My pile of books TBR just keeps growing and growing.   I re-read books too and right now, for example, I am re-reading a book I've read several times rather than pick up one in my pile TBR.  

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities...

-Albus Dumbledore
Wordsmith
Sarah3973

About once a month or so- sometimes more, I'll wander in to B&N, grab a Starbucks, and wander around reading book jackets for an hour or so.  By the time I've realzied how long I've been roaming the aisles, I have a bare minimum of 6 books tucked under my arms.  I then spend at least another 20 minutes deciding which ones to get (I gave up trying to narrow it down to just one years ago).  Of course, while I'm pondering, I'll no doubt get sidetracked by at least two other books on the "Bargain Books" table.  I'd say about half the time, I walk out with four new books.  The other half of the time, I just go ahead and get them all!  One of the cashiers at the Barnes & Noble in the last town I lived in knew my face.  She'd just start smiling when I'd walk up to her register... I am a total addict.  I have no control over myself when it comes to books or shoes. 

As a sidenote, because of this addiction, I have at least 15-20 books beside the bed that haven't been read yet and several in boxes in storage.  We won't even talk about the several pairs of shoes I have still in boxes in the closet! :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Contributor
nhbooklover
0 Kudos

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this addiction. In the past few months, I have forced myself not to go into our local Borders (I know it's the enemy) or go into the book section of the Target that is in the same shopping plaza, because I tend to walk out with one or two books that sound good and I think I'd like to read them, and I don't read them. I think half of the books that I have on my bookshelf right now are books that I've bought and haven't gotten a chance to read yet.

So, I told myself no more books until I've read some of the ones I already have.

Plus this way it gives me a chance to get a pretty good Christmas list going and that way I'm not buying any of them, just receiving them, which is even better!!!!

Maybe we should start another book club called "book buying anonymous"?!?!?!?

Happy reading to all :smileyhappy: