Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
eam492
0 Kudos

looking for a good fiction series to read!

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a new series to read, and would love some suggestions. Here are a few series I have read and enjoyed, in no particular order:

• The Dark Tower - Stephen King
  • A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin
  • Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini 
  • Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling 
  • Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
  • His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
  • Hannibal Lecter - Thomas Harris
  • Foundation novels - Isaac Asimov

It looks like I read more sci-fi/fantasy, but I really like everything, there just tend to be more popular sci-fi/fantasy series haha.

Thanks!

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

Re: looking for a good fiction series to read!

The perfect series I think for you based upon what you read would be the Frankenstein series by Koontz.  This series is an awesome twist on the original story by Mary Shelley.  Koontz presents it as though it was not fiction and continues into modern day.  Not only is it gripping and tough to put down, it really gets you thinking on alot of things.  Plus, the third book is finally coming out this month!

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein 

With purpose and on purpose
Contributor
celtica
0 Kudos

this is for eam492 who is looking for a new series to read. try diana gabaldon's outlander, it

is the first in a 7 book series.

teach your children to read
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Celtica - AnneB here - I agree that eam492 should try Diana Gabaldon - they are my all time favorites - as a matter of fact I am beginning a reread of them all before the next one comes out in September. Have you tried the "Into the Wilderness" series by Sara Donati? I think they are very like Outlander....Anne

Contributor
SoCalMom
0 Kudos

Some of my favorite series are...

The Dresden files by Jim Butcher...They're fun no-brainers

The Arthurian Saga by Mary Stewart: Book 1 - The Crystal Cave

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I realize, of course, that it is not true logic to argue--"The world is not as we think it is--therefore everything we think impossible is possible in it." Even if it be different, it is governed by law. The truly impossible is that which is outside law, and as nothing can be outside law, the impossible cannot exist.
Frequent Contributor
leighvmewithmyimagination
0 Kudos

If you like western the Sackett's series by Louis L'amour is goodI think there's about 17 in the series about a man who comes to America to start a new lifeI had never before read a western novel, and was surprised at how involved I became in the storyYou can usually buy these small novels for a couple of bucks at your used bookstoreSackett's Land is the first one I believe, and followed by To the Far Blue Mountains.

I always recommend the Stephanie Plum series by Janet EvanovichThere are 15 so far in the saga of a wayward bounty hunterThey always keep me laughingThey are filled with crazy, over the top characters and tons of suspenseful actionOne for the Money is the first one.

wingedsoldier
0 Kudos

If you've read all those series i think you might like a book i recently finished: Strange Angels- Lilith Saintcrow

And you might like(haven't read it yet but still in the process of getting it) The Hunger Games-(can't remember author)

Also The Vampire Diaries is good. 

Hope i was helpful....(?) 

B&N Bookseller
AleshaM
0 Kudos

I recommend:

The Hunger Games (Collins)

The House of Night (Cast)

The Ranger's Apprentice(Flanagan)

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1) 

Marked (House of Night Series #1)  

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice Series #1)

Frequent Contributor
no_bs
0 Kudos

i may be a coulpe eels late on this, but these are some of my fav book series, hope you enjoy and read them.

House of Night - P.C. and Kristen Cast

Blue Boods - Melissa de la Cruz

Maximum Ride - James Patterson (series is awsome!!! cant wait for the next book.  you should try Daniel X too, lthough it was hard to understand)

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead

The Morganville Series - Rachel Caine

The Wereling Trilogy - cant remember the author but the series goes "Wounded #1, Pry#2, and Resurrection#3

if you ever want more to read thats all sci-fi, send me a message

bye

Frequent Contributor
heybaby
0 Kudos

Ouch hard question....Some of my favorites are by Chelsea Cain, Karin Slaughter, Lisa Gardner, and Alex Kava as for females and some by males would include James Patterson, and Dean Koontz...good luck

"The wonderful thing about not planning, is failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry or depression."
New User
Jeeves
0 Kudos

You have to read the Odd Thomas Series.  Based on some of the books you've already read I'm sure you love at as much as I do.

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

John Levitt -- Urban fantasy series with a lot of mystery subplot.  There's this dog.  But he's not really a dog, he's an ifrit.  And Mason isn't sure why he's lucky enough to have Lou, the dog/ifrit.  But they make a good pair, proving that dog is still man's best friend. 

Dog Days

Ilona Andrews - good urban fantasy, more of a romantic thread through the firsts three (tension more than anything else.)  Kind of a neat concept of a system of magic versus mechanical.  Like thunderstorms, magic comes and goes.  When magic is 'in" technology doesn't work and when technology is in, magic doesn't work.  Creates great world buliding opportunities.

Look into Mercedes Lackey as well.  She writes everything from fantasy to urban fantasy and I've like almost everything she's written.

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
New User
julsb
0 Kudos

Hi i was never a big reader until i read the twilight saga, which i enjoyed since then i can't stop reading you have to try J R Ward, THE BLACK DAGGER BROTHERHOOD SERIES, it is EXCELLENT,  it takes one or two chapters to get into but really really worth it.  It is also vampire series, and it it the most beautiful romance you can read i think.  Give it a try. hope i helped

thanks juls

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Sparrow  

Children of God  

Although there are only two in this series they are worth it. I was dead set against these two (not a sci-fi fan) but really enjoyed the two.

Otherwise, I'm not much of a series person. But maybe you might want to try these which are very popular right now.

If you want to try your hand at some historical stuff Bernard Cornwell is a good choice. He has many series. His most notable being:

Sharpe's Tiger (Sharpe Series #1)