Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
aGoodRead
0 Kudos

"House Rules" Jodi Picoult? anyone read it?

Hi guys I am really thinking about getting back into Jodi Picoult has anyone read her new book "House Rules"? Last book of her I read was Nineteen Minutes and I really enjoyed it but went on to other authors and just wondering if I should give it a try.

"Life is short might as well read something good while going through it."
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: "House Rules" Jodi Picoult? anyone read it?

Haven't read it but it's a pretty good bet I'll like it.  Maybe we ought to do this one as a book talk - possibly in May?

Stephanie
Contributor
aGoodRead
0 Kudos

Sure sounds like a good idea. I know what you mean she seems to always put out good ones. plus it will give me a reason I have to read it in stead of just adding on new books to my collection and get through some of the ones I have I buy more than i can read and I read alot lol

Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Haven't read it but it's a pretty good bet I'll like it.  Maybe we ought to do this one as a book talk - possibly in May?

I like the idea of discussing this one.  I have read several (not all) of Jodi Picoult's books; two of which we selected for my face to face book club. 

I just received my copy this past Saturday but have about 4-5 other books to read/finish before I start this one. 

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
Contributor
MyAnonymousView
0 Kudos

I have read this book and have to say that no one tackles a subject like Jodi. Endless discussion opportunities. Here is the post from my own Thread, as well: House Rules This is a brand new endeavor and I am eager to begin it all with a challenge: I need 100 people to discuss with me this new book by Jodi Picoult, who is my "Viewpoint" Author. My site is all about viewpoints, in the news, music, film, and of course books. Dealing with the controversial or subject matters that affect us all I am hoping to get people to utlize this online community format to discuss this book that is full of Picoult's trademark talent. This time around she tackles Asperger's Syndrome, Crime Scene Reenactments and many homefront issues: sibling rivalry, parental guidance is secrets. I work for Barnes & Noble in Troy MI and we are backing this endeavor in store as well, with other books that deal with the topics featured in this book. Check out my MYB&N page to get all the information on titles that fit with House Rules. Also, visit my home page http://my-anonymous-view.blogspot.com to stay in touch with me. Lots of great links and items of interest on my featured author and many other topics. i look froward to discussing this fantastic novels with those 100+ readers. Visit http://my-anonymous-view.blogspot.com
What is your viewpoint?
Visit http://my-anonymous-view.blogspot.com
Contributor
Cesspria
0 Kudos

I considered picking this book up and decided I could not. I have read other Picoult books and enjoyed them very much. However, I have a son with autism and the subject matter is too disturbing for me. I had to pass on it.

I just don't think it would be an enjoyable read for me, under the circumstances, but I am interested to hear what other people think of it.

Contributor
aGoodRead
0 Kudos

Cesspria

I totally get where your coming from with this. I am disabled with a vision problem where is hard for me to see 100% all the time and is some times hard see. Anyways its hard some times to watch/read how some people depict others with vision issues. Im not gonna lie it some times helps but defiantly more of the latter. I respect your decision not to pick  up the book and will be very willing to let you know how it is and my opinions after i finish it.

Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

I also have a son with autism he is 26 years old. I started reading Jodi's new book and I find it has helped me. Reading what I have gone through in some instances and my thoughts, fears, joy and tears. I'm still reading it I will let you know.

Contributor
nhbookfan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I haven't read this book yet, but I was able to go to The Dartmouth Bookstore in Hanover, NH this past summer, and heard Jodi read an excerpt from it, just as she was finishing it. It was pretty cool to see how down to earth she seemed. I don't think I would know she was a famous writer if I saw her walking down the street, or shopping in a store. Just a normal everday person--who happens to write best selling novels for a living!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I just bought the book yesterday. A friend has two grandkids that are autistic so she wanted to do it for our book group. We are making the presentation together. I actually probably won't begin it for another month. It got good reviews, though. I was also at a presentation by Picoult a couple of years ago on her book My Sister's Keeper. She is a very relaxed speaker and makes everyone feel at home. She does an enormous amount of research for her books. Her website is filled with great information.

nhbookfan wrote:

I haven't read this book yet, but I was able to go to The Dartmouth Bookstore in Hanover, NH this past summer, and heard Jodi read an excerpt from it, just as she was finishing it. It was pretty cool to see how down to earth she seemed. I don't think I would know she was a famous writer if I saw her walking down the street, or shopping in a store. Just a normal everday person--who happens to write best selling novels for a living!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

[ Edited ]

Have you read about the study showing the possibility of a new treatment using oxytocin that seems to improve social function in those with autism?

Contributor
MyAnonymousView
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Have you read about the study showing the possibility of a new treatment using oxytocin that seems to improve social function in those with autism?

No I haven't but I will.  Thanks for the information.  It will something to talk with the book groups about.  I have a customer whose child has autism and this information will definately help.

What is your viewpoint?
Visit http://my-anonymous-view.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

If you'd like to read this book as a group in May, send me a PM and if enough are interested, that's what we'll read! 

Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
0 Kudos

I've had this book in by e-wish list for a while.  I think I'll download and start reading today and would love to be involved in disucussions.  I've read other Jodi Picoult books and really enjoy her style. 

Pam

Pam
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.