Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

About A Fortunate Age & Joanna Smith Rakoff

[ Edited ]
Joanna Smith Rakoff and A Fortunate Age

Title: A Fortunate Age

Like Mary McCarthy's classic tale of coming-of-age in New York, The Group, Joanna Smith Rakoff's richly drawn and immensely satisfying first novel details the lives of a group of Oberlin graduates whose ambitions and friendships threaten to unravel as they chase their dreams, shed their youth, and build their lives in Brooklyn during the late 1990s and the turn of the twenty-first century.

There's Lil, a would-be scholar whose marriage to an egotistical writer initially brings the group back together (and ultimately drives it apart); Beth, who struggles to let go of her old beau Dave, a onetime piano prodigy trapped by his own insecurity; Emily, an actor perpetually on the verge of success -- and starvation -- and grappling with her jealousy of Tal, whose acting career has taken off. At the center of their orbit is wry, charismatic Sadie Peregrine, who coolly observes her friends' mistakes but can't quite manage to avoid making her own. As they begin their careers, marry, and have children, they must navigate the shifting dynamics of their friendships and of the world around them.

Set against the backdrop of the vast economic and political changes of the era -- from the decadent age of dot-com millionaires to the sobering post-September 11th landscape -- Smith Rakoff's deeply affecting characters and incisive social commentary are reminiscent of the great Victorian novels. This brilliant and ambitious debut captures a generation and heralds the arrival of a bold and important new writer.

About Joanna Smith Rakoff:

Joanna Smith Rakoff has written for The New York Times, Time Out New York, The Los Angeles Times, Newsday, Vogue, O: The Oprah Magazine, and other publications. Her poetry has appeared in journals such as The Paris Review, The Kenyon Review, Western Humanities Review, and Arts & Letters, and her personal essays have appeared in such anthologies as How to Spell Chanukah and If You Really Want to Hear About It: Writers on J.D. Salinger. She has been a fellow at the MacDowell Colony. She holds a B.A. from Oberlin College, an M.A. from University College, London, and an M.F.A. from Columbia University. She lives in New York with her husband and son.
Message Edited by Maria_H on 11-17-2008 04:25 PM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: About A Fortunate Age & Joanna Smith Rakoff

Wow that sounds great can't wait
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

sounds great! I'm looking forward to reading it!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Correspondent
PinkPanther
0 Kudos

This book sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read it!
"I ought, therefore I can"
-Immanuel Kant
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Oh! yes! this sounds like the kind of book I relish the most. Happy reading to us all!
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

It does sound wonderful. I hope to get a copy of "A Fortunate Age."
Grapes
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

This book sounds very interesting. i hope to be a part of this book club.
CAG
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

So far what I have read I feel this is going to be a great read.  The story sound great and wow I can't wait to get the book and start reading and talking to some of you in the near future.
Reader
boydclark
0 Kudos

I enjoy new authors. This will be my first review in the B&N First Look group. Look forward to reading and sharing my thoughts.

Boyd

Boyd Clark Cromwell, CT
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

I love debut novels.  This sounds great Yvonne
Contributor
danikl
0 Kudos

Am excited to be a part of this book club.
Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

I can't wait for my copy to arrive!
New User
MelDiva
0 Kudos

My copy just arrived and I can't wait to start reading it. Sounds like we will have some interesting character development and a lot to enjoy and discuss. Can't wait!

Mel

Frequent Contributor
Sassy398
0 Kudos

Hi fellow ARC readers are we all set for a new adventure.???..I know I am...the other day my copy came in the mail....Hope everyone is ready for great discussions...talk with you all soon!!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi..I just received A Fortunate Age,very inspired to read it. I have not introduced myself. Can you direct me to the right thread to do so..it seems when I try to do it ,I can't. Thank for including me in this Book Club,Susan VermontCozy

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Finding thread topics

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi..I just received A Fortunate Age,very inspired to read it. I have not introduced myself. Can you direct me to the right thread to do so..it seems when I try to do it ,I can't. Thank for including me in this Book Club,Susan VermontCozy

Susan, go to the Welcome and Introduction thread topic on this board.  Thread topics are introduced by Maria and Karen.  To FLOAT THEM TO THE TOP of your front page, (so they don't get lost) move your cursor to the right, where you see the little arrows.  Click on the topic thread arrow.  Eventually, these threads should be permanently logged onto the front page, by Maria or Karen, with the B&N logo, where they won't be lost in the multitudes of pages that will develop from these discussions.

To find the front page, which I found difficult when I was a new reader, you click on the thread listing, above your window page until it takes you back to the front page.  From there you can "turn" the pages within these thread.  Otherwise, in the middle of these pages, you only have the option of going to the next message, or thread.  I wish we had the option to turn pages within threads, but we don't.  At least that I know of.

When the book discussion begins, you will be able to find these thread topics easily, as they will be pined permanently to the top of the front page.  Anytime you want to save something, like someone's response, or thought of your own, you can float it to the front page by just clicking the arrow, where they can be seen by only you. These can be removed in the same way. 

There are a lot of options, for everyone, as to the viewing of these screens.  Play with them in your preferences.  If I haven't answered this for you, or you have any  further questions, I'm sure Karen and Maria will be more than happy to help you figure it out.  Have fun!

Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 12-06-2008 12:02 PM
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Re: Finding thread topics

I got my confirmation that I was accepted for the book and am looking forward to reading it and discussing it. It sounds like a book I would really like, and something to look forward to in the boring yucky month of January!

Thanks for letting me in on this

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

i know its still early to be discussing the book. but i have finished the first chapter and it seemed verrrrrrrrrry long and tedious. im just starting the second chapter so maybe i have to read alot more before i can get into liking the book.:smileyindifferent:
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Please, NO personal comments about this book, Now.

PinkBaby wrote:
i know its still early to be discussing the book. but i have finished the first chapter and it seemed verrrrrrrrrry long and tedious. im just starting the second chapter so maybe i have to read alot more before i can get into liking the book.:smileyindifferent:

PinkBaby, and Everyone. 

I don't want to sound picky, or critical,  but personal comments of any kind about this book should be held off until the discussion starts in January. These comments can put people off, and spoil the feel for the book.....

Karen will introduce these threads,  in which  these comments are relevant.  You may post them at that time. 

Thank you for your consideration. 

Kathy S.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi PinkBaby,

Glad you got the book!  But for the sake of the discussion and your fellow readers, please wait until the official start date of January 5 to post your impressions of the book.  Karen will have a schedule  of threads posted soon.

Many thanks!

PinkBaby wrote:

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!