Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

Re: About A Fortunate Age & Joanna Smith Rakoff

YOUR RIGHT EVERYBODY IM SORRY about that i realized  after i wrote that.  that  it was dumb to do that. anyway happy reading to all see you in january.:smileysad::smileywink:
dhaupt
0 Kudos

PinkBaby wrote:
YOUR RIGHT EVERYBODY IM SORRY about that i realized  after i wrote that.  that  it was dumb to do that. anyway happy reading to all see you in january.:smileysad::smileywink:
There are no dumb members of this book club pinkbaby so please don't fret. We all look forward to discussing the book with you in Jan. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

No big deal.  Your comment was pretty innocuous.  I think people just wanted firmly to head off any other comments which might not be so innocuous.  In the past there have been significant comments made in advance of the official start of posting which were much more objectionable than yours. 

But thanks for the apology. And I look forward to discussing it with you when the time comes.

PinkBaby wrote:

0 Kudos

Please, PinkBaby, don't feel dumb in what you said, or how you post.   It wasn't, and you're not.   As Debbie, and Everyman said, you belong on this discussion.   I want to see you here.  I can be hyper sensitive to people giving these feelings to me, too soon, and I apologize if I've hurt your feelings in any way by what I've said to you.  I've had dozens of second thoughts about what I write and post, myself, and the one to you was one of them.

I wish you all the best on these boards, now and in the future.
Sincerely,

Kathy
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

I am very pleased to be part of this bookclub and just received my copy of the book the other day. 
Phyllis
Contributor
Thryth
0 Kudos

I am so looking forward to the discussion for this book!  I just received it in the mail a couple of days ago.  Because the description of the book is so interesting, I had to start reading - I couldn't put it down.  I won't say any more than that.  Happy reading, everyone!
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Thryth wrote:
I am so looking forward to the discussion for this book!  I just received it in the mail a couple of days ago.  Because the description of the book is so interesting, I had to start reading - I couldn't put it down.  I won't say any more than that.  Happy reading, everyone!

Like you, I have started the book too. I have not gotten very far into it yet, but wanted a little break from the christmas mysteries I have been reading.

See you all back in January to discuss it. Happy Holidays.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Contributor
sam608
0 Kudos

One can never ruin a book for me..I never listen to other's opinions when it comes to reading.  No one can decide if one is going to like a book but one self.  Did that make sense?  It's the same with movies, the critics say all these things thats wrong with a movie, I go and think, well I was entertained, so who cares what the critics thought.  Same with books, I read because I love to read and I can usually find enjoyment in each and every book I read.  But then, I'm a bookworm.

I'm looking forward to discussing this book.

New User
bookbutterfly
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Melisa. I'm very excited to be a part of this! I've never belonged to ant sort of Book Club, let alone one online! The book is fantastc, I feel as though I'm a part of the "group".
A Human Being is a Deciding Being ~Viktor E. Frankl~
New User
mathilda
0 Kudos

*Tap tap tap* my fingers.......are we there yet?

I mean, is it Monday yet? I am so looking forward to reading others' impressions about this book!

Mathilda

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

You know, Sam, I am the same way. To me, its not just one thing in a book that is enjoyable, its the enjoyment of the whole entire book, small tidbits never have gotten me uninterersted because they were let out of the bag. Because if I didnt read the book, it would be quite more I would miss.

sam608 wrote:

One can never ruin a book for me..I never listen to other's opinions when it comes to reading.  No one can decide if one is going to like a book but one self.  Did that make sense?  It's the same with movies, the critics say all these things thats wrong with a movie, I go and think, well I was entertained, so who cares what the critics thought.  Same with books, I read because I love to read and I can usually find enjoyment in each and every book I read.  But then, I'm a bookworm.

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

sam608 wrote:

You are so right.  Everyone's tastes are different.  I've read books that I've loved while others were saying that it was the worst book they ever read.  I've also read books that many have raved about and I just couldn't wait to get it over!  

gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Review from May 2009 Elle - A Fortunate Age & Joanna Smith Rakoff

Did anyone else see the positive review of A Fortunate Age in the May 2009 Elle?  Check "Elle Intelligence Books"  section.   It's the first item reviewed and this is what they say:

Rakoff's homage to Mary McCarthy's The Group substitutes Oberlin graduates for Vassar's.  Following these earnest, bookish, arty twentysomethings through job hunting, relationships, and marriage, we get caught up in their career woes and dramatic mishaps while Rakoff simultaneously chronicles the dot-com collapse an then post-9/11 angst in the Big Apple. Starting with a wedding and ending with a funeral, Rakoff creates a deliciously flawed group of women and men whose intricate musings and overly analytical introspections make for a pleasant retreat into their self-centered universe. - Penny Bernal, Encinitas, CA

Moments of insightful writing flicker gamely here among long bouts of predictability. Weaving together many vignettes of these bright young things' longings for and struggles against acceptance from parents, professors, peers, and most mystifyingly, themselves, Rakoff struggles as well to adequately flesh out each human character. - Cate Rubenstein, Marina del Ray, CA

Just wanted to share this with everyone.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 603 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: