Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters One through Five

I also thought Beth's relationship with wiil was not the right  decison.
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

I also went back and re-read the first chapter after reading one or two others, and got a lot more out of it the second time.  As for Beth and Will, I personally need a lot of fill-in information between their first--admittedly very interesting!--date and their engagement.  I find it difficult to jump from the former to an acceptance of the latter with no supporting "stuff" in between.

That said, I am enjoying the book and find myself being drawn into each character's situation and wondering how it will turn out.  Too bad Lil and Tuck couldn't have had at least a year of bliss before he showed himself to be a jerk (hehe!).  Or will he redeem himself somehow and prove that Lil was wise to choose him after all?  Ah, I must read on!

Joan

Contributor
sam608
0 Kudos

As I was reading the first chapter and read the reactions of Lil's friends about her wedding, I thought how strange they all seemed.  Is this a group of friends that didn't expect for any to get married, or for that matter, make any changes in their lives.  They all we're heading in different directions as far as their careers is seemed.  The guys seem very annoyed about the wedding, like it was all dumb.  Tal, when giving his toast, made me wonder if he had a bit of jealousy about Tuck getting Lil, I thought to myself, did he have a crush on her in the past or we're they ever a couple?  The girls seemed to have some envy, although Beth thought better of him once she heard good things about him....so maybe they're reaction was more, is Tuck the right person for their good friend, concerns more then jealousy.  And I've decided that since the book opens almost like we already know things about all these characters, I'm expecting to learn more as I read on.  I am enjoying the book so far, but I've only read the first chapter. 
Frequent Contributor
CKindianCB
0 Kudos

In many ways I feel that most of the characters in A Fortunate Age are very self centered.  The whole world should revolve around me attitude.  I wonder if Lil married Tuck just to say look at me I'm married. 

Beth was certainly in a big hurry to go to bed with Will.  I agree there is not a lot of information on the growth of their relationship.  Bed to marriage?

Lil seems rather naive about the kind of person she is marrying.

Contributor
pjmama
0 Kudos

I'm so glad to finally be able to talk about this book.  It's been so intriguing to me because these women are of my generation, and I have a similar group of college girlfriends.  I think this really helps me understand how close the girls are (or aren't as the case might be).  This is a group of friends who shared common experiences and interests in college, but are now faced with the "real world" which bears no resemblance to their sheltered existence at Oberlin.  Their connection was easy at college and now they are struggling to move themselves forward and still stick together.  That's why the story starts with Lil's wedding...a "real world" event that they don't know how to react to.  The other important connection that I make with this group and my own group is although they are close, they are also competitive.  Beth feels like she can't live up to expectations and compares herself to Lil and Sadie...and as we get to know the other characters throughout the book they compare each other as well. (Don't worry...no spoilers!):smileyhappy: This is one reason that the girls don't seem as close as they maybe should be.  Their past connects them, but their struggle to find their own individuality keeps them apart for long stretches of time.  
Contributor
LucyLov
0 Kudos

I felt the same way I thought, what are you thinking? Hello, what year is this, I just didn't get it, why would she (Beth) let him (Will)get away with that.

I also found the book very slow for me, I just could not really get into it, don't know if I will finish it or not. I use to always finish a book if I started it, but life is to short to read a book you don't really like that much. 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

When I first began to read this book I thought I must have read the date wrong and I went back to check the time frame in which it was placed. In my recollection, by the late 90's women felt much more freedom, were much more empowered, much more liberated and independent and far more sophisticated than Sadie, Beth, Lil or Emily. Even the men seemed like teenagers to me. I was surprised, frankly, at their shallowness and foolish behavior. They seemed more like frivolous girls who had been sheltered and over protected and were therefore irresponsble rather than mature women.

My kids and their friends, who were of that era, were so much more adult, grounded and level headed with a firm purpose and sense of direction, when they were that age. As a rule they did not lack substance and were not flighty. I felt as if the author reached into the bottom of the barrel to pick out the four weakest young women she could find for the book. I figured maybe one would be kind of a misfit, but why do all of them seem so dysfunctional and why do all of them come from homes they dislike and parents they don't respect?
All of the characters seem to be lacking direction and self confidence. I am hoping that as the book progresses, they change into more likeable adults who behave responsibly. I wouldn't want these four women, or the men they chose, to be indicative of the future generations.

I know the locale in which the book takes place very well. Brooklyn was up and coming, Queens was a geographically undesirable location and neither had the panache of Manhattan. Scarsdale residents in general have a stereotype of being rich snobs. However, the people I know were not those stereotypes at all. The young adults I knew who grew up and/or settled in these neighborhoods, were not like the characters in this book. They were more stable and self confident

I agree that the sex scene was a bit much but it sure pointed out how foolhardy these girls were with their haphazard and irresponsible behavior patterns. They seemed to make choices about men with less concern than one uses for picking a head of lettuce! Character played a very small role in their choices and image seemed more important, overall. I am afraid I didn't like them. I hope they develop more fully and I change my mind.

twj

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

C-c-a wrote:

When I first started reading A Fortunate Age, I did not think I was going to like it. Chapter one was the hardest for me to get thru and then the story started to pick up. I am now liking this book more and more.

I was very surprised with the sex scene between Beth and Will. It was totally unexpected.

I agree with you entirely.  The note I wrote to myself for the first chapter was drags on - tedious.  After Chapter one I started really getting into the book.  The sex scene did surprise me also - it came out of the blue for me.  I couldn't believe she took her shirt off because he told her to and then from there I kind of remained shocked.  I don't think it was too much for the book, just quite different from how the book had been going.  I can't wait to see if we find out how Will and Beth got to the point of being engaged to be married!

Frequent Contributor
Re76
0 Kudos

I also agree. It took me a couple of times to complete the first chapter, in fact I wasn't sure that I would complete the first chapter. As far as the sex scene, I just don't know. Is there more to come to further explain? Makes me wonder about the both Beth and Will. I am glad that the book became more enjoyable after the first chapter.

Contributor
bonereader
0 Kudos

I agree with other readers that I had trouble with chapter 1. For someone unsavvy with the NYC references, I had trouble following some of the characters commentaries regarding where they lived and stereotypes of those areas. At the very beginning, I felt the author was trying too hard to impress us with all the culture and learning of the main characters. Some of the sentence constructs were too complicated. I reference one entire paragraph on page 3 that consists of only one sentence! HOWEVER, I became happily surprised as I read on. The author seemed to settle into a more comfortable style, and I really started to connect withthe characters and become invested in them.

Someone commented on the lack of self-confidence in these characters for the time setting of the novel. I am only a few years older than these characters and had spent a good chunk of my life in school by my early thirties. I agree that "real life" is such a hard thing to deal with idea when you have been immersed in a world where all that matters is education and your circle of friends.

I don't buy the sex scene though. I found myself most drawn to Beth as a character not unlike myself. As hurt and vunerable as she felt, I do think she would have questioned this a little more. I'm glad this was the only "scene" of this type.

Contributor
bonereader
0 Kudos

I was intrigued by the paragraph in Chapter 1 discussing hyphenation of last names. Isn't it ironic that this generation of young women raised to think of ourselves in this feminist age as women who can "do it all," find ourselves in these very human situations where we are so torn between old-fashioned comfort situations and this need to show how independent we are? In a way, I think our age of educated women demonstrate our independence by saying, it's just a name and it really doesn't change who I am.

Along that same vein, I was disappointed that Lil wasn't the independent woman that she seemed to be at the outset. Her whole acceptance of Tuck's nastiness/immaturity when he was fired made me realize very early just how weak a person she really was. She seems to only exist as she relates to other characters, not capable of standing on her own. It's as if she sees glimpses of Tuck's true persona, but she doesn't want to face or admit that the "fantasy Tuck" she has created isn't real.

New User
Nymphadora_3
0 Kudos

I found the sex scene not only overdone but uncomfortable at times, although it manages to clearly define Beth's character in a few simple pages.  Those first chapters, including the one holding the sex scene, contain a lot of unnessacary decription in my opinion; however, as i have yet to finish the novel, this description my prove important later on.

miller1323 wrote:
As for moments I found most striking--I'm curious as to what others thought of the sex scene.  Altough it did establish Beth as pliable and foolish (atleast for me), did anyone else find it a bit much?

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tht first chaper was a bit hard to follow there seems to be too much fluff there. Perhaps there are too many characters to follow. Parts of the story seem to appear out of nowhere.

I agree with the sex scene with Beth and Will that it went from what I thought was going to be a rape (willing at first but not willing booze involved judgement) that turned out to be just kinky sex thate seemed to be utimatly rewarding for Beth. All of a sudden there is an enganement. I really did not see any development on the relationship between them to lead to this. 

Message Edited by biljounc63 on 01-05-2009 08:53 PM
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Contributor
eileen100
0 Kudos

CJINCA wrote:
I agree esp about missing out on how Beth gets engaged to a man who states on the first date, that he doesn't "do" obligations.  Maybe this is something we will get to learn more about in subsequent chapters...but I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see that happen ourselves. 

In general, I find the style of the book a bit choppy -- we are given so much back-story and interpolation, the conversations don't really flow the way it does when old friends get together, at least so far.

I'm glad a few of you brought up this topic, because I feel the same
way. I find that the detail in this book is very inconsistent. The
author can spend pages and pages describing a very short period of time
and covering the most trivial things in excruciating detail, and then glosses
over major life events that inexplicably occur during chapter breaks. We learn about every alcoholic beverage, book, author, trend, movie, and other preference of each group member. We dwell on every minor thought that crosses each character's mind. We even learn about Sadie's mother insistence on slant-tipped tweezers over square-tipped ones. And yet the description of Beth's developing relationship with Will is so abbreviated that our jaws drop when we suddenly find that Beth is engaged.

What's up with that?  Do we need to know the most irrelevant minutiae of daily life of the group members and then not be apprised of how Beth and Will's awkward start bloomed into engagement?  After a while this writing inconsistency and emphasis on trivial detail has begun to irritate me. I'm a bit more than halfway through the book now, and finding it harder and harder to dive back in after putting the book down.

New User
cagraham
0 Kudos

Ah, the sex scene.....it seems a necessity these days.  At least it is a great topic for discussion. It's hard to decide if it's included to captivate readers' attention  (In case things are moving too slowly as some have posted) or to simply spark the "What was she thinking!!!!"
New User
dottyr
0 Kudos

I agree that I tried to read that first chapter with the overview prospective. The sex scene was very detailed and I was concerned for her safety and didn't understand why she didn't run from there as fast as she could.   I was so surprised to find out that we went from waiting from her to see if he would call to find out that she was marrying him.  That certainly left a big knowledge gap and as a reader I felt disappointed unless we are going to find out the answers in a retrospective fashion.  I guess we will wait and see.   Dotty
biljounc63
0 Kudos

Parts of the early chapters are loaded with extreme details while missing criticle information in other areas. I guess that the James Patterson affect is in play here where a chapter is complete in just a page or two while getting the point across making to want to continue to keep turning the pages.

I am getting into the story more the as I get to know the charaters better but do not want to have to re-read chapters to see if I missed anything. 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
chris227
0 Kudos

I'm with everyone else who had trouble getting through the first chapter.  I think that a lot of the references made (to art, literature, and New York) were a little above and beyond what the average reader wants when sitting down to relax with a novel and my initial thought was pretentious (both the characters and the author).   After the first couple of pages I didn't think I would be able to finish the book but once I got through to the actual wedding the book became more enjoyable.  The characters are pretty annoying and even after five chapters I don't feel a connection with them at all.  These are not people that I would want to associate with.  I will continue on and who knows maybe they'll grow on me?

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

I have to confess that the first chapter of the book was a bit hard to finish reading. There's a mixture of characters and their personalities are presented in a very fragmented way. Any gesture has maybe some importance to the story. I think the main idea in the first chapter is around Lil's wedding. Everyone gets surprised because of her wedding. Nobody would imagine she could do something like getting married. A generation whose readings and reflections are centered in philosophy, politics, linguistics, history, literature is not a common generation. Exactly these men and women are the questioners of the real and necessary status/place of "marriage" in people's life.
New User
bookladyET
0 Kudos

The first chapter was tough.  I didn't think it was a great first impression. I am going to hang on and finish, I wasn't sure I wanted to. The sex scene was a bit much, I thought.  I was feeling bad about my first impressions, but after reading many of other readers replies, I was releived. I am curious about the ending and do look forward to continue on....