Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters Ten through Twelve

Hi,

I read chapter ten last night and enjoyed reading more about Sadie.  Knocked up by old Ed...that was a surprise!  Lil's reaction was to be expected especially if she and Tuck are trying or are interested in having a family.  Perhaps because she's the first one married she also thought she would be the first to start a family...

I wish Sadie would put some pressure on that darn Tuck.  Is he going to finish that book or not?  Is he even writing or is he just canoodling with Caitlin?  I am disappointed with Sadie for not telling Lil about Tuck and Caitlin - perhaps she really isn't that good of a friend after all.

I thought Sadie was cute thinking about all of the pregnancy questions she had and wanted to ask that woman in the store...if she follows through with it....it's going to be quite an experience for her.

I thought the scene where she's talking to Tal and then Ed calls and then the 'morning' sickness gets to her and she runs off to barf was funny....and probably realistic.

What will everyone say when she tells them?  I hope I find out!

Susan 

Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

One more comment - now after ten chapters - I still don't have an idea/clue on the story arc or really what this book is supposed to be about.

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

Guerneymember12 wrote:

I thought Sadie's "affair" with the father was out of character for Sadie, cheating on the FBI who we barely met by the way, but the small part we met was very romantic and Sadie was looking to do something different than what was always expected of her -- in this case Tal.  An FBI agent is powerful, brings her the status that I think Sadie requires from someone; so I thought the affair was so out of character and therefore the pregnancy was just thrust upon us at this time. forgive my language. but at this point in the book.  I feel like she she wants to get done with it. 

How was it out of character?  She did it once before with Tal. Someone said in another thread that perhaps she was always afraid of hurting someone but although things were sketchy with Tal, she still took up with Agent Connolly while she was with Tal.

Frequent Contributor
Sassy398
0 Kudos

This book is very different from any of the ARC's I've ever read by B & N.  It kind of reminds

me of a rollar coaster...just when you feel the familarity of a chacter something throws a

wrench and changes ideas all around. It certainly is a way different type of story that I

have ever encountered.  At different moments I felt sorry then in a split second I would

get upset how some of the friends would treat each other.

Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

i cant seem to get into either . im up to chapter 10. but  every time i look at   it. i want  to read it but it just seems so tedious andddddddddddddd longgggggggg. i guess it doesnt seem to exciting.
Contributor
colibrarian
0 Kudos

I'm still struggling to like this book and these chapters didn't necessarily help the cause.

Am I the only one who had a hard time suspending disbelief that Dr. Gitter proposes to Emily in the emergency room after having met her briefly only once or twice before? And she accepts the proposal rationalizing that she 'knew' she had feelings for him but had been ignoring them? 

It's like each female character in the book is a feminist until they leave college. As soon as college is over out go their ideals and beliefs: Lil stays in an unhappy marriage, Sadie quits her job after giving birth and realizes that she's secretly very happy about this (this is not a criticism of stay at home moms!!), Emily dates a guy who won't commit for way too long  and Beth gave up her ideals on the first date with Will. I know that the 'fire' we may have had for certain causes in college tends to fade or die down a bit as we get older but this seems a bit ridiculous. 

I also am really unsure about Lil. Are we supposed to dislike her? 

New User
smileydq
0 Kudos

finally we get some substantial information about Emily and her backstory.  In her relationship with Clara, I've found the most compelling storyline of this book so far.  As for Sadie, I still have no idea what she is doing or why- and I suspect Sadie is equally clueless.  I feel like we never even got to know her love interest before he's gone- does Sadie know them at all either?  She seems to flit about too much for my taste...
Frequent Contributor
bookworm_gp
0 Kudos

I was surprised at the proposal too. So many situations in this book seem absurd, from Sadie's visit to Caitlin to this proposal and acceptance.

I don't see a theme here either. The book appears to be more a character study with a series of vignettes that jump around and leave out huge chunks of the story.

http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Gail_Pruszkowski
http://www.facebook.com/gail.pruszkowski
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bookworm_gp

Frequent Contributor
Re76
0 Kudos

Colibrarian:

I agree with you. The proposal between Dr. Gitter and Emily made me shake my head in disbelief...Along with the rest of the relationships in the book. As far as Lil...I don't know what I feel about her.

Renee

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

colibrarian wrote:

I'm still struggling to like this book and these chapters didn't necessarily help the cause.

Am I the only one who had a hard time suspending disbelief that Dr. Gitter proposes to Emily in the emergency room after having met her briefly only once or twice before? And she accepts the proposal rationalizing that she 'knew' she had feelings for him but had been ignoring them? 

It's like each female character in the book is a feminist until they leave college. As soon as college is over out go their ideals and beliefs: Lil stays in an unhappy marriage, Sadie quits her job after giving birth and realizes that she's secretly very happy about this (this is not a criticism of stay at home moms!!), Emily dates a guy who won't commit for way too long  and Beth gave up her ideals on the first date with Will. I know that the 'fire' we may have had for certain causes in college tends to fade or die down a bit as we get older but this seems a bit ridiculous. 

I also am really unsure about Lil. Are we supposed to dislike her? 

I think Dr. Gitter's proposal to Emily was one of the hardest parts of the book for me to accept. It struck me as creepy, based on the fact that they had only had a few interactions and almost like he was taking advantage of her at an emotionally vulnerable time--he knows how much strain taking care of her sister has put on her (as a baseline) and she just broke her foot--which can be so painful it leaves you thinking less than clearly.

I found myself *always* wanting more about Lil. From the beginning (that is, her wedding) she's cast as an emotional center to the group, but the farther into the book we get, the more absent of a center she becomes. If I had more about Lil, I'd be better able to judge whether I like her or not.
Frequent Contributor
Jennd1
0 Kudos

I agree with most of the views I have read here.  Sadie handles the pregnancy like most women who are caught off guard by such things, and she doesn't really admit her feelings about it until she decides what to do.  I also agree that all of the friends seem jelous of each other in their own ways.  Emily does emerge from these chapters as stronger for taking on the weight of her sister.  I also think that 911 helps the group apprecicate each other more.
Contributor
nikkid
0 Kudos

I found Sadie's pregnancy to be quite a surprise but I do love how she is portrayed as this very calm and natural mother.  Is it me or is the baby always quietly sitting on her lap or sleeping in her arms? 

Once again, I do not think that this group of "friends" are really friends anymore.  Lil's reaction towards Sadie's pregnancy is not very supportive or understanding.  Sadie needs to find herself a new girlfriend to share her cares and concerns with and we can't forget  that Sadie is no better (maybe even worse) for withholding the fact that Tuck was having an affair.

I really enjoyed reading about Emily and hearing her story.  I was glad to see that there were many pages in the chapter devoted to her since you never know if you will get to read about these characters again! LOL.  The author seems to get you attatched to one character and then poof...never to be heard from again... till another person in the story clues you in.

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

nikkid wrote:

I found Sadie's pregnancy to be quite a surprise but I do love how she is portrayed as this very calm and natural mother.  Is it me or is the baby always quietly sitting on her lap or sleeping in her arms? 

It seems lit the baby is mentioned in that way just to remind us that there is a baby. I don't see the baby as a added character. 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Hi

I have now finished chapters eleven and that really long chapter twelve.

I'm not a big fan of Emily's - I think she's a loser just like Dave.  Thinking that after all that time the show and the cast would go to Broadway is delusional...and banking it all on that is just plain stupid.  She should have listened to her friends.

And this Curtis guy - what's up with him?  Is he going to stay married or is he going to move on?  This is something that should have been settled between them before she wasted months and months of her life with him.  It was always all about him and so I am not surprised that he ends up dumping Emily and getting back with his wife.  Perhaps he was never 'that into her'...haha....

I thought it was going to be interesting to see what happens with Clara....I was wrong.

Early on in Chapter twelve it is revealed to us that Lil, Sadie and Dave are only children - that could explain some of their childish ways - always being the center of their parents attention and being spoiled and taken care of might have played into their inability to grow up and take care of themselves.

Tal - the only one we never get to know - seems to be the best adjusted of the bunch...but we never know.

What is Tuck doing all day for all of the time he was supposed to be writing his manuscript?  I know writing a book is difficult (from firsthand experience) but if that's his job he should get his butt in the chair and write it.

I am very disappointed in Emily's parents.  I know they have tried and tired with Clara - but pushing her off on Emily is just despicable.  They could have found some type of state institution - maybe not the best thing but still an alternative and one that might have helped Clara.  Emily isn't in a position to take care of herself - et alone herself and some wacked out sister.

She was on the right track when she went to see the doctors (Curtis's mother) for advice...but why she doesn't follow through confuses me.  She ends us just about killing herself working two jobs and many many hours.  I did really see and feel her pain that last night at the bar when she hurt her foot.

Now - as for this absurd marriage proposal - give me a break!  I found it to be ridiculous and disappointing.  I thought better of him before the proposal.  They should know better.  They don't even know each other.

There have been many comments about how this book depicts the generation of individuals that graduated from college in the 90s.  Now I graduated in the 80s and things were quite different for us.  Our parents didn't coddle to the same extent or at all.  If this represents the woman coming of age in the 90s - I would have to ask if it's the 1890s - because these women have all proven that they can't take care of themselves - rather they need a man to take care of them.  Rather disappointing after all of the effort for equal rights...etc.  Lil may be the only one that is self supporting - supporting herself and Tuck - but remember when she got married he was gainfully employed and it was a decision on comfort moreso than anything else.

I'm disappointed in these women.  Sorry.

Susan 

Contributor
Skelly7645
0 Kudos

I have found this book very different from any of the other First Look Books that I have read. I have not been "hooked" by the characters.  That has made it difficult for me to follow along.  Partly, I have struggled with the time frames, the # of characters and the fact that as we focus on a character, by chapter, I have lost "contact" with the others.  I will continue to read along, hoping that as I get later into the book I will see the loose ends tie together.  I also hope that when we reach the end, it may be easier to look backwards and see the full characters and, at that point  we will have a better understanding of what this was all about.
New User
bonne_g4
0 Kudos

I noticed this about the friends as well.  This group is definantly not the same as the "Friends" on TV!  They are jealous of each other and secretly compare their personal accomplishments with those of their friends.

I really appreciated that Sadie did not abort the baby.  Does the author ever discuss what her parents thought about the whole situation?  That would be interesting to read!

I really identified with the "Sunday" feeling Emily was going through.  Whether it be dreading the work week or being isolated from someone, that situation makes for a depressing day.

Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Chapter ten-- I feel sorry for Sadie being pregnant and all alone. She should have been more responsible though and not gotten pregnant in the first place. I too think that Lil was jealous of her and was not the most comforting friend to tell her news to. Her running into the anti-abortion demonstrations was certaintly stressful for her. I can't imagine not having any support around me when I was pregnant, although she does have Ed there for her after Jack was born.

Will Tuck ever finish the book he is writing? What a loser he is for Lil. Will she ever realize how flawed he is? Yvonne

Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Chapter eleven--What a powerful chapter. Emily struggles so. Her acting career, her relationship with Curtis, her sister Clara's mental illness. A bit too much to deal with. Curtis was always a loser in my opinion. I'm glad Emily finally saw him for what he was, that he would never leave his wife. She wasted so much of her time on him. Thank goodness she didn't get pregnant by him.
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Chapter Twelve--My favorite chapter so far, I couldn't put it down. I have so much respect for Emily.  She is trying so hard to deal with Clara and her problems. Just the stress of doling out money to keep Clara happy and occupied would be enough to do me in. I hope Dr. Gitter will turn out to be a positive force in her life. I can't wait to see what happens to Clara. Yvonne
KxBurns
0 Kudos

chris227 wrote:

[edited]

I really enjoyed the parts about Emily.  We saw Emily struggle through some difficult times, ending her acting career, ending her relationship with Curtis, and beginning a caregiving relationship with her sister, and then becoming engaged to Josh.  I think that these chapters were the first where we actually saw a character mature and grow.  We witnessed Emily moving from adolescence to adulthood and it wasn't getting married or having a baby that made her an adult but actually taking on responsibility for herself and someone she loves.  Emily is my favorite character by far and I hope that we can hear more about her in the last few chapters

I agree -- I think Emily's evolution throughout the book has been really interesting to read. Why do you think Emily has been able to mature in ways that have eluded some of her friends?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 218 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: