Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Community Room

Please use this thread for discussion of topics not related to A Fortunate Age. As always, we expect you to converse with courtesy and respect.

Enjoy!

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hi everyone, what have you been reading lately or since the last First Look?  I just finished the latest J.A. Jance Web book, but lately it's been short *cozy* mysteries.  I have so many knitting projects to do that if I get caught up in a long book I'll never be ready for the holidays. 
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:
Hi everyone, what have you been reading lately or since the last First Look?  I just finished the latest J.A. Jance Web book, but lately it's been short *cozy* mysteries.  I have so many knitting projects to do that if I get caught up in a long book I'll never be ready for the holidays. 

Oh my, that sounds like me.  I've got 2 shawls, 2 scarves, and a pair of socks on the needles right now, and I'm planning some skull-decorated gloves for my teenager. 

I'm re-reading the first Death on Demand by Carolyn Hart, I read it a long time ago and someone said something about it recently that made me want to go back and take a new look at it.  Great fun - when I read her books I keep a notebook handy to jot down all the authors she mentions that I may want to read.  Before that I finished a stack of Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy series - got a deal on a whole lot of them at the local used bookstore.  I've come to the conclusion that while I really like the series, the books are  better read spaced out one at a time and not one after the other.  That's probably true of many series, one exception to that being the Turing Hopper series by Donna Andrews.

But of course, now I will be concentrating on our book for First Look!

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

I am not a knitter, however I am working on a cross-stitch project for Christmas right now.  I am hoping to get it done in time, but it may be very close.

I have been caught up in the Twilight series, which has taken up much of my time over the past month or so.  I have been working a lot too, but now I am excited to read A Fortunate Age and I can't wait until we discuss it in January.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well since the last First Look I've been busy reading, but too many titles to mention so why not just check out My B&N and check out what I've been up to.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I am trying not to buy any new books since they are on my Christmas wish list, so I am re-reading older books. I am currently reading The Three Fates my Nora Roberts. I had forgotten how much I liked this one. Kind of 3 romances in one.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I have been reading, but have found that "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" has stayed with me so strongly, that I am having trouble concentrating of other books. I am currently reading, "Gift From the Sea," and am awaiting a copy of "Twilight." I have also started reading this book. Thanks for asking the question! I get lots of ideas from the answers. <grin>

Tarri wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I bought the first two books in the Twilight series and also The Host, but I'm afraid that once I read them I will be Harry Potter obsessed so they are on the television shelf calling my name. 
dhaupt
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I have been reading, but have found that "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" has stayed with me so strongly, that I am having trouble concentrating of other books. I am currently reading, "Gift From the Sea," and am awaiting a copy of "Twilight." I have also started reading this book. Thanks for asking the question! I get lots of ideas from the answers. <grin>

Tarri wrote:
Hi everyone, what have you been reading lately or since the last First LookI just finished the latest J.A. Jance Web book, but lately it's been short *cozy* mysteries.  I have so many knitting projects to do that if I get caught up in a long book I'll never be ready for the holidays

I tried to read Edgar Sawtelle, but couldn't get into it didn't like the story.

Contributor
LucyLov
0 Kudos

I just finished 'The Pagan Stone' by Nora Roberts, it was the third one, the sign of the seven trilogy. I really liked it, but I am a BIG Nora Roberts fan. Just got 'Twilight' in the mail today. I am going to read it, before I buy the others ones, want to make sure I like it first. Tarri, I hear you about being obsessed, I was about Harry Potter, I just could not wait for a new one to come out. I have read the 'The Host' my husband got that one for me, for Mothers day. I had never heard of it or Twilight then, it was a good book.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I'm sorry you didn't get into the book, but have had it happen to me too. There are images from that book that I think will always stay with me, and I will read it again.

dhaupt wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Tarri wrote:
Hi everyone, what have you been reading lately or since the last First LookI just finished the latest J.A. Jance Web book, but lately it's been short *cozy* mysteries.  I have so many knitting projects to do that if I get caught up in a long book I'll never be ready for the holidays

I tried to read Edgar Sawtelle, but couldn't get into it didn't like the story.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

Once I read the first "Twilight" book I was definitely Harry Potter obsessed.  I couldn't stop reading them until I was done with the fourth one.  I did the same thing as you LucyLov, I only bought the first one to see if I liked it.  Half way through it though I bought the others knowing that I was going to HAVE to read them.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:
I've been reading the series by Kate Morning.  "Blood Fever" and Dark Fever".  Hope to read the next in the series before I start in the club.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel wrote:

Tarri wrote:
I've been reading the series by Kate Morning.  "Blood Fever" and Dark Fever".  Hope to read the next in the series before I start in the club.
Oh me too I love Karen Marie Moning her fever and her highlander series. Whew have to sit in front of a fan to read the Highlander series though he he he.

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

I read the Twilight books a while back and tried to get my 14 year old niece to read them...not interested in vampire books. I took her to the movie on opening day and within 5 days she had read the last three books in the series.....got her hooked but good :smileyhappy: -- as for the Host -- not my favorite -- Twilight much better.....HUGE Nora Roberts fan and currently reading Pagan Stone as well as "The Heretics Daughter" for a IRL book club
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, what have you been reading lately or since the last First Look?

Currently reading:

Dickens, Our Mutual Friend

Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho (for LfW board here)

Defoe, Robinson Crusoe (for another on-line book club, re-reading)

Trollope, Dr. Thorne

Frost, Complete Poems

American Short Stories (for Classics group here)

Recently finished:

Trollope Barchester Towers (re-reading)

Shakespeare Love's Labors Lost (for Shakespeare group here) and related criticism (Goddard, Coleridge,  van Doren, Bloom, and others)

Trollope, Marion Fay

Ngaio Marsh, Artists in Crime and others (for Mystery club here)

many others

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LucyLov wrote:

I just finished 'The Pagan Stone' by Nora Roberts, it was the third one, the sign of the seven trilogy. I really liked it, but I am a BIG Nora Roberts fan. Just got 'Twilight' in the mail today. I am going to read it, before I buy the others ones, want to make sure I like it first. Tarri, I hear you about being obsessed, I was about Harry Potter, I just could not wait for a new one to come out. I have read the 'The Host' my husband got that one for me, for Mothers day. I had never heard of it or Twilight then, it was a good book.

So glad to hear there are other Nora Roberts fans out there - I am truly obsessed by her writing including her JD Robb series.  Just joined a new book club and got a whole stack of them!!  Am reading the Pagan Stone now - couldn't wait for it to come out and now can't put it down!!

Message Edited by Terrie on 12-09-2008 03:34 PM
Carpe Diem!
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

What does everyone think of the new "avatars?" I personally don't think there is enough variety of design. Any thoughts?
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:
What does everyone think of the new "avatars?" I personally don't think there is enough variety of design. Any thoughts?

Do you see mine? :smileyhappy:  So far I haven't seen one that I can identify with...hmm...I want MICKEY MOUSE!
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thayer, I have to agree with you about the avatars. I wanted one of a blonde woman, but all the ones they have are too young for me , and alot of the other ones were way too old for me, or ones that just did not "fit" me.  I wish there were more; maybe later on....
Message Edited by LindaEducation on 12-09-2008 11:32 PM
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 604 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: