Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
chris227
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I thought that The Story of Edgar Sawtelle was great!  It was very well written and I enjoyed the story.  It had suspense, tragedy, adventure...it also helps that I am a dog lover as well!  Don't get me wrong I thought some parts were pretty bizarre but all in all I thought it was a good read.

Christina

chris227
0 Kudos

I agree with you completely!  I'm in the middle of New Moon now and everytime I pick up the book my husband makes fun of me!  He just doesn't understand how I can get so engrossed in a book written for teenagers!  But they're fun and I'm hooked!  And hey I read the Harry Potter books in my twenties so why not books for teenagers too?
chris227
0 Kudos

I have definitely lost sleep and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning reading a book, but I've never missed anything important like work or appointments - I have taken the book with me though to read while waiting or on breaks!  I've also thought about a book for a long time after physically putting it down, so perhaps the "I couldn't put it down" doesn't have to do with the physical act of putting the book down but with the mental act of setting aside your thoughts about the book.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room -- Stewart O'Nan

Another former First Look book is in the news this weekend: Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan.  

Here is the link for "Have You Seen My Daughter" by Erica Wagner in the NYT Book Review.  I particularly appreciated the comment:

"This is a novel about loss and healing; a novel that acknowledges the depth of loss and the limits of healing." 

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room -- Stewart O'Nan

I thought it was a very thoughtful review.  And since I like Songs for the Missing I'm not going to disagree with Wagner.

Peppermill wrote:

Another former First Look book is in the news this weekend: Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan.  

Here is the link for "Have You Seen My Daughter" by Erica Wagner in the NYT Book Review.  I particularly appreciated the comment:

"This is a novel about loss and healing; a novel that acknowledges the depth of loss and the limits of healing." 

Pepper

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:
Hi everyone, what have you been reading lately or since the last First Look?  I just finished the latest J.A. Jance Web book, but lately it's been short *cozy* mysteries.  I have so many knitting projects to do that if I get caught up in a long book I'll never be ready for the holidays. 

Hi Tarri-

I just finished Jonathan Alter's  The Defining Moment : FDR's Hundred Days and the Triump of Hope. It was a timely selection on the eve of the launch of a new administration in the midst of the current economic and political crisis. 

Beth

Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

nikkid wrote:

Hey everyone,

I am currently reading Wicked.  What an amazing novel.  I am truly enjoying it!

Hi Nikkid

I finally finished Wicked  in October. I am about halfway through Son of a Witch (Wicked Years Series #2)  it is also very good--I've had to temporarily set it aside, but hope to finish it during my holiday break. 

Beth

Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room (Everyman)

bookloverjb85 wrote:

Everyman,

I was talking to you in the other thread (How to get your free reading copy...) and I took your advice and moved to this thread so that they didn't kick us out (haha).  I looked for the book you mentioned "The Book Bag" by Somerset Maugham.  Anywhere I looked they were selling it for hundreds of dollars.  Do you know of anywhere I could find it for less?  I am going to try and look at the library, but it seems like an older book so I am not sure if they will have it.

Jen-

If you have an e-reading device you can often download out-of-print titles at a low cost and often for free. I haven't checked for any Somerset Maugham titles, but if I find this one that you are looking for I will let you know.

Beth

Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

People sometimes say of a book "I couldn't put it down."  And it always makes me wonder.  I'm sure it's a bit of hyperbole, but how much?

Have you ever skipped a meal, or an important meeting or appointment, because you were reading a book and couldn't put it down until you had finished?  Have you ever stayed up at least two hours past your normal bedtime because a book so engrossed you that you couldn't go to bed before finishing it?  (And getting so tired that you quit before finishing doesn't count, because then you DID put it down!)

I've certainly read a lot of books that kept me deeply engaged, but never to the point that I disregarded a call to dinner or didn't get up to answer the doorbell when it rang or otherwise stuck with the book when a rational person would have put it down for some other important activity.  

What about you?

GREAT question Everyman!

Yes, I have run across books that I literally could not put down. I have stayed up all night reading (though that was in my younger says). I've also kept books with me so I could fill every spare minute with reading. I've also unplugged the phone when I was engrossed in a book. The downside of reading so fast is that I don't have time to absorb what I am reading. I remember the experience of reading and the satisfaction of finishing the book, but I would be hard pressed to give you any details. 

Beth

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

Beth,

Thank you.  I would greatly appreciate the help.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Jen-

The following Sommerset Maugham titles are the only ones currently available as free downloads on the Project Gutenberg site:

The Explorer

The Hero

The Land of the Blessed Virgin; Sketches and Impressions in Andalusia

Liza of Lambeth

The Magician

Moon and Sixpence

Of Human Bondage

The Trembling of a Leaf

Little Stories of the South Sea Islands

I can't locate The Book Bag in an E-book format.

Sorry,

Beth

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I guess it will have to be interlibrary loan.

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:

Jen-

The following Sommerset Maugham titles are the only ones currently available as free downloads on the Project Gutenberg site:

The Explorer

The Hero

The Land of the Blessed Virgin; Sketches and Impressions in Andalusia

Liza of Lambeth

The Magician

Moon and Sixpence

Of Human Bondage

The Trembling of a Leaf

Little Stories of the South Sea Islands

I can't locate The Book Bag in an E-book format.

Sorry,

Beth

0 Kudos

Yes, I will have to get it through the interlibrary loan.  I appreciate all the help that you have given me.  Thank you very much.  I think I will go look at those other titles on the Project Gutenberg site as well.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

People sometimes say of a book "I couldn't put it down."  And it always makes me wonder.  I'm sure it's a bit of hyperbole, but how much?

Have you ever skipped a meal, or an important meeting or appointment, because you were reading a book and couldn't put it down until you had finished?  Have you ever stayed up at least two hours past your normal bedtime because a book so engrossed you that you couldn't go to bed before finishing it?  (And getting so tired that you quit before finishing doesn't count, because then you DID put it down!)

I've certainly read a lot of books that kept me deeply engaged, but never to the point that I disregarded a call to dinner or didn't get up to answer the doorbell when it rang or otherwise stuck with the book when a rational person would have put it down for some other important activity.  

What about you?

Yes, I am going to admit that I, a forty...erm...ish, mature woman have scheduled entire days off work so I could attend Harry Potter midnight release parties and spend the entire remainder of the night reading the book.  There...I said it.  :smileyvery-happy: 
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Yes, I am going to admit that I, a forty...erm...ish, mature woman have scheduled entire days off work so I could attend Harry Potter midnight release parties and spend the entire remainder of the night reading the book.  There...I said it.  :smileyvery-happy: 

I will admit to being a fifty . . . erm . . . ish, semi-mature woman who was at the grocery store at midnight, being handed the latest HP book from under the check out counter.  

Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

Hi, Tarri,

I've been reading all kinds of fun stuff lately. :smileyhappy:  I finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle last week.  I know several people have said that they didn't like the book, but I did.  I will admit that it took some patience to get through and it was not a happy-smiley book, but I thought it was well worth the read and the story was beautiful.  I have also recently read The Thirteenth Tale, several Janet Evanovich books (love those!), The Five People You Meet in Heaven, The Undomestic Goddess(that was a fun one too), and now with A Fortunate Age I'm reading Stephen King's new collection of short stories, Just After Sunset.  I know I have read things that I have forgotten about, but that is a rough list of my most recent.  Happy reading! :smileyvery-happy:

Jessica

Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

DebsScott wrote:

Everyman wrote:

What about you?

Hi, Debs,

I loved all of the Harry Potter books as well.  I'm into the Twilight books now.  Oops, forgot to mention those on my list of recent reads.  Oh, well...  Anyway, HP and Twilight are fun and a nice change once in a while, don't you think??  I mean, who wouldn't want a dreamy vampire guy to sweep us off our feet, right? :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Hey, Karen--I finally got around to reading and printing out the discussion schedule.  I paid especially close attention to the topics for the first week, coming up soon.  ZEITGEIST?!  I must admit you sent me to the dictionary on that one!!

Joan

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Book Bag

[ Edited ]

Jen, this story,  The Book Bag,  is published in Collected Short Stories, Vol 4, Maugham, here at B&N books.  Type in ~Short Stories, Maugham~ to refine your search. I hope this helps a little. 

Happy reading!

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 12-29-2008 04:09 PM
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

What about you?

I have stayed up all night finishing a book, but that was years ago. Now I will stay up well past my bedtime but if I'm not finished by 2:00am then it gets put down.

I have taken a " mental health " day from work to stay home and read a particular book but not on important work days.

I will also put off errands if I start a book on a Saturday morning and really get into it and have to finish it.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 300 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: