Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
nikkid
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hey everyone,

I am currently reading Wicked.  What an amazing novel.  I am truly enjoying it!

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

I have read Wicked and it is a great book.  I also have Son of a Withc, but I have not read it yet.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading the 2nd book in the Twilight series (New Moon).  As many others noted I'm obsessed.  However, I'm getting them from the library, so I have to wait my turn - it's kind of fun to have the anticipation between books rather than jumping right in to the next one.  Although I'll be honest, I'm almost done with this one and I wish the 3rd book was waiting on my nightstand!! 

Recently I have also read Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace One School at a Time by Greg Mortensen; Away by Amy Bloom; On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan; The Condition by Jennifer Haigh; A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini; and The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler.  Anyone else read these?

Next up on my reading to-do is The Devil's Teeth (A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks) by Susan Casey.  It looks interesting - has anyone else read this one?

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:
What does everyone think of the new "avatars?" I personally don't think there is enough variety of design. Any thoughts?

I wish I could have my penguin back.  I held out until the very last minute before I changed. 

Initials would be a nice addition. 

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I read both "Wicked" and "Son of a Witch" and enjoyed them both. "Wicked" is my favorite one though. =)

bookloverjb85 wrote:
I have read Wicked and it is a great book.  I also have Son of a Withc, but I have not read it yet.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
LucyLov
0 Kudos

bookloverjb85, well it happened to me too, I started 'Twilight' yesterday and today I am buying the the rest of the books. I'm  definitely Harry Potter obsessed with them.
Contributor
LucyLov
0 Kudos

terrie, I love Nora Roberts, I read 'Carolina Moon' and I was totally obsessed. I bought every book I could find of hers. I also love the JD Robb 'death series' I have read all the lastest ones and a few of the older ones. I just got the newest one and will read it soon.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Roberts Groupie here too, just finished Pagan Stone wonderful. Love her In Death series written as JD Robb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I just simply want my "V" back. I hate the new avatars and don't want them by my serious book reviews either. I think if they would have at least kept the old and added the new, people would have had a better choice. Always seems to be all or nothing in here. But yeah, as you can see, I prefer the ghost image here to them too lol.

KathyS wrote:

Thayer wrote:
What does everyone think of the new "avatars?" I personally don't think there is enough variety of design. Any thoughts?

Do you see mine? :smileyhappy:  So far I haven't seen one that I can identify with...hmm...I want MICKEY MOUSE!

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Reader 2
cKid
0 Kudos

I was going to order Twilight saga, the set today, unfortunatley it is not available at this time. I was wondering if it is a bit too juvenile, teen romance. not sure.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Yeah, to have to select a face that means nothing to me, seems ridiculous.  I guess we'll both stay as "ghosts", until something changes....again.  But, we still have our names! Ha! 
vivico1 wrote:

I just simply want my "V" back. I hate the new avatars and don't want them by my serious book reviews either. I think if they would have at least kept the old and added the new, people would have had a better choice. Always seems to be all or nothing in here. But yeah, as you can see, I prefer the ghost image here to them too lol.

KathyS wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Do you see mine? :smileyhappy:  So far I haven't seen one that I can identify with...hmm...I want MICKEY MOUSE!

Contributor
DariaFreeman
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am re-reading Pride and Prejudice.  I was spurned into doing so by watching a movie called the Jane Austin Book Club. It was a really lovely movie. It made me want to read all her books again as well. I am also reading Tales of a Continental Drifter. I really love books by travel writers. Especially if they impart wit and humor. There is no better person on the planet than Bill Bryson for for this skill. I recommend every last one of his books.

Daria

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW-- What a Ride! Thanks, God!"
Frequent Contributor
sylvia387
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Maya Angelou's new book, alongside "Revolution from Within" (an older book by Gloria Steinem).  I have "Call Me Ted" (Ted Turner's new bio)  and now....thanks to the UPS truck...I have A Fortunate Age.

Good thing we are expecting a winter storm this weekend!  Light up the fireplace.

Sylvia

No expectations..No disappointments
Contributor
Hillabeans69
0 Kudos

I loved wicked, Son of Witch okay but not as good, the 3rd sitting in the line of two reads.

If there are any cat lovers or anyone who loved Marley & Me I highly recommend Dewey!!

hillabeans

Hill-a-beans
Contributor
DariaFreeman
0 Kudos

Good morning,

It's funny that you mention "The Jane Austin Book Club". I didn't know that there was a book. I bought the movie a few days ago, and it is what spurred me to re-read Jane Austin. I am definately going to look into the book. I really loved the characters. I am re-reading "Pride and Prejudice" now because of watching it.

Daria

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW-- What a Ride! Thanks, God!"
Contributor
DariaFreeman
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have just finished a book called "Candy Freak" by Steve Almond. It is a blast. I would recommend it to anyone who, at anytime in their lives, loved candy. He talks about all the long lost bars and chews. He visits all the factories that used to make his favorite candies. It's a true story about the business of making and selling candy, and I had so much fun reading it, I never put it down. I will even most likely re-read at a later date.

Daria Candyfreak 

Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

Hi everyone, what have you been reading lately or since the last First Look?

Currently reading:

Dickens, Our Mutual Friend

Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho (for LfW board here)

Defoe, Robinson Crusoe (for another on-line book club, re-reading)

Trollope, Dr. Thorne

Frost, Complete Poems

American Short Stories (for Classics group here)

Recently finished:

Trollope Barchester Towers (re-reading)

Shakespeare Love's Labors Lost (for Shakespeare group here) and related criticism (Goddard, Coleridge,  van Doren, Bloom, and others)

Trollope, Marion Fay

Ngaio Marsh, Artists in Crime and others (for Mystery club here)

many others

Hi everyman. I am currently reading Sherlock Holmes and Our Mutual Friend. I have not seen anyone even admit they read Our Mutual Friend, but I got hooked on Dickens when I was in high school and had to read Great Expectations. I was in London a few years ago and went to the book store street, I can't remember the name of the street, and I bought The Old Curiosity Shop. What a treat! 
I kept trying to imagine London as Dickens saw it. I did not succeed very well. but when I read his stories I can picture it as clear as if I was watching it on the big screen.
 I have The Suspicions of Mr. Wichert in my TBR pile. Have you read it? What did you think if you did.
Look forward to the discussion on A Fortunate Age. See you online.
Cathy 

Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
0 Kudos

Daria, I love your quote. I have it on my bulletin board in my office. I got it from my sister-in-law, but I don't know where the quote originated. Any clue?

Nancy

Daria

Contributor
DariaFreeman
0 Kudos

While most places on the web list it as anonymous, I found it attributed to racecar driver Bill McKenna at one site. Whether this is accurate or not, I don't know. I do love the quote though :smileywink:  Just makes sense to me.

Daria

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Holiday Eating Tips

I've heard that "motto" before, on different forwards.  Have no idea where it originated, but I like it! :smileyhappy:  Here is one of those 'forwards', that we all know and love! :smileytongue:  I do like this one, though.

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.  

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand-alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.                                                           

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.   

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.

Remember this motto to live by:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Have a great holiday season!