Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

debbook wrote:

Everyman wrote:

People sometimes say of a book "I couldn't put it down."  And it always makes me wonder.  I'm sure it's a bit of hyperbole, but how much?

Have you ever skipped a meal, or an important meeting or appointment, because you were reading a book and couldn't put it down until you had finished?  Have you ever stayed up at least two hours past your normal bedtime because a book so engrossed you that you couldn't go to bed before finishing it?  (And getting so tired that you quit before finishing doesn't count, because then you DID put it down!)

I've certainly read a lot of books that kept me deeply engaged, but never to the point that I disregarded a call to dinner or didn't get up to answer the doorbell when it rang or otherwise stuck with the book when a rational person would have put it down for some other important activity.  

What about you?

I have stayed up all night finishing a book, but that was years ago. Now I will stay up well past my bedtime but if I'm not finished by 2:00am then it gets put down.

I have taken a " mental health " day from work to stay home and read a particular book but not on important work days.

I will also put off errands if I start a book on a Saturday morning and really get into it and have to finish it.

Ha, Deb, taking a mental health day to read a book, huh?  I'd never heard of someone calling it that.  Why didn't I think of that!  I've never taken a day off to read a book.   I was always on my death bed when I took a day off...and then too sick to open my eyes.  But I always took my books with me, and read on breaks, or lunch hours.  Actually, I took a word processor to work with me to write!  Most of these people thought I NEEDED a mental health day! 

But, kidding aside, I do put off chores, or housework, to read, or write....those dust bunnies ain't going nowhere!  And I'm sure not going to starve myself....eat while reading, and typing, that's my motto!  I try not to drip too much mustard or catchup on the pages, but I have been known to drop spaghetti between the A and the Z!

Happy whatever you do!

K.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I believe strongly in mental health days!! I try to schedule them but sometimes I wake up and know it is needed and that the world will be a better place if I stay in my house,lol

You should definitely try it. Make it a New Year's resolution.

KathyS wrote:

debbook wrote:

Everyman wrote:

People sometimes say of a book "I couldn't put it down."  And it always makes me wonder.  I'm sure it's a bit of hyperbole, but how much?

Have you ever skipped a meal, or an important meeting or appointment, because you were reading a book and couldn't put it down until you had finished?  Have you ever stayed up at least two hours past your normal bedtime because a book so engrossed you that you couldn't go to bed before finishing it?  (And getting so tired that you quit before finishing doesn't count, because then you DID put it down!)

I've certainly read a lot of books that kept me deeply engaged, but never to the point that I disregarded a call to dinner or didn't get up to answer the doorbell when it rang or otherwise stuck with the book when a rational person would have put it down for some other important activity.  

What about you?

I have stayed up all night finishing a book, but that was years ago. Now I will stay up well past my bedtime but if I'm not finished by 2:00am then it gets put down.

I have taken a " mental health " day from work to stay home and read a particular book but not on important work days.

I will also put off errands if I start a book on a Saturday morning and really get into it and have to finish it.

Ha, Deb, taking a mental health day to read a book, huh?  I'd never heard of someone calling it that.  Why didn't I think of that!  I've never taken a day off to read a book.   I was always on my death bed when I took a day off...and then too sick to open my eyes.  But I always took my books with me, and read on breaks, or lunch hours.  Actually, I took a word processor to work with me to write!  Most of these people thought I NEEDED a mental health day! 

But, kidding aside, I do put off chores, or housework, to read, or write....those dust bunnies ain't going nowhere!  And I'm sure not going to starve myself....eat while reading, and typing, that's my motto!  I try not to drip too much mustard or catchup on the pages, but I have been known to drop spaghetti between the A and the Z!

Happy whatever you do!

K.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

LOL!  Deb, I'm retired...every day is a mental health day for me! Ha!
debbook wrote:

I believe strongly in mental health days!! I try to schedule them but sometimes I wake up and know it is needed and that the world will be a better place if I stay in my house,lol

KathyS wrote:

debbook wrote:

I have stayed up all night finishing a book, but that was years ago. Now I will stay up well past my bedtime but if I'm not finished by 2:00am then it gets put down. I have taken a " mental health " day from work to stay home and read a particular book but not on important work days.  I will also put off errands if I start a book on a Saturday morning and really get into it and have to finish it.

Happy whatever you do!

K.

Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

I'm with you Deb! I take Mental Health days on a regular basis and as a result the world is a better place! :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
sgregg88
0 Kudos

DebsScott wrote:

Yes, I am going to admit that I, a forty...erm...ish, mature woman have scheduled entire days off work so I could attend Harry Potter midnight release parties and spend the entire remainder of the night reading the book.  There...I said it.  :smileyvery-happy: 

Hey Debs - I am in my thirties and have done this for the last three books with my brothers, sisters and friends. We all go to my parents place, grab a chair, couch, bed, whatever and read away with no discussion. First one done starts making breakfast and when everyone is done, we eat and discuss the book. And we all book the day off work to do so!

Shelby

Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

sgregg88 wrote:

DebsScott wrote:

Yes, I am going to admit that I, a forty...erm...ish, mature woman have scheduled entire days off work so I could attend Harry Potter midnight release parties and spend the entire remainder of the night reading the book.  There...I said it.  :smileyvery-happy: 

Hey Debs - I am in my thirties and have done this for the last three books with my brothers, sisters and friends. We all go to my parents place, grab a chair, couch, bed, whatever and read away with no discussion. First one done starts making breakfast and when everyone is done, we eat and discuss the book. And we all book the day off work to do so!

Shelby

How cool. Sounds like a great way to get into a book and a great way to start the day. It must be wonderful to have such close people to discuss with. Keep it up and enjoy it!
Frequent Contributor
julyso
0 Kudos

Oh, I definitely believe in mental health days. I call it a pajama day, stay in my jammies all day, reading a book under a blanket with a snack! Can't beat it:smileyhappy:
Julie
Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

Hi, my apologies for not introducing myself before I started discussing this book, but I really am enjoying the book and couldn't wait to get started. I am fascinated by the characters and the story and I am looking forward to more discussions !

I love to read, it is my most favorite thing to do after exercising ! Oh well back to working out my mind ! Jane :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Chatterbox
0 Kudos

The biggest danger of being freelance/self-employed is that is always possible to take a mental health day -- or succession thereof -- to read and read and read -- as long as I can rationalize it. (And I'm very good at rationalization...)

I am currently supposed to be writing, not reading.

Sigh.

Am reading William Boyd's "Restless", and loving it.

Have read several mysteries, (including the new Charles Todd novel), a very good biography of Samuel Johnson, "Inside the Stalin Archive", and a book by Adam Nicolson about the Earls of Pembroke and Britain in the 16th/17th centuries, which is also v. good.

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

READERJANE wrote:

I love to read, it is my most favorite thing to do after exercising ! Oh well back to working out my mind ! Jane :smileyhappy:

READERJANE,

I too like reading but working out is a big pastime for me I'm totally additcted to spinning classes and yoga both great for stress release!

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
New User
Griot2008
0 Kudos

I'm rereading the entire Thomas Covenant series by Stephen Donaldson.  He's been writing this series since the late seventies.  I read the first one around '84.

I don't think there's any writer in the world that can match him word for word, sentence for sentence, concept for concept.

Incredible!

KT

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Is it just me or is there less discussion going on this time?  Most times I've had a hard time keeping up but this time, I'm right on top of it.
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I am sure there's somewhere on these boards better than here to take this news, but as it's about a not-yet-released book, I suppose it's sort of appropriate (and I feel like I know you all here a little bit anyway!): in April someone's going to publish Pride and Prejudice and Zombies which is just like it sounds: the text of Pride and Prejudice with "bone-crushing zombie action" to spruce up the so-called dull bits (I personally find it hard to believe that someone would think P&P is dull). 

Although in some ways I think this project is incredibly silly, I am also really excited for it. And if the "zombies" in the title draws someone who wouldn't have read Austen to read this book (and then, even better, to the original novel) I think it will have done some good.

Best,

Katie

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Lauren Groff has a new book out

Another FYI: Lauren Groff (whose Monsters of Templeton was the first First Look [I only found out about the program in time for The Sister, but I went back and read Monsters of Templeton because so many people said they loved it--and I did too]) has just released a new book. This one, Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories, is a collection of short stories. I haven't read it yet, but if it's anything like her first novel, I cannot wait.