Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
palomar
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

I am very excited to participate in your First Look Book Club, and look forward to discussing A Fortunate Age with your other members. Thank you! Respectfully, Palomar
New User
palomar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the oppurtunity to enroll in First Look Book Club. I am looking forward to reading and discussing A Fortunate Age.

Edited to remove poster's personal information.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 12-07-2008 03:06 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Laurie, go back and edit your previous post/message, (click on thread options) and take your address and phone number out of it.  Find Maria's post on signing up for this group.  All private information should be conducted in your Private Message (white envelope, above) program.  She has the link in her sign up post.  Follow those directions.

Good luck,

Kathy S. (So. Calif...not far from you) :smileyhappy:

palomar wrote:
Thank you for the opportunity to enroll in First Look Book Club. I am looking forward to reading and discussing A Fortunate Age. 

Message Edited by KathyS on 12-06-2008 04:53 PM
Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

I'm an avid book reader and collector. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing A Fortunate Age

thank you

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Do you collect any special genre or age?

kittykat59 wrote:

I'm an avid book reader and collector....

thank you

0 Kudos

I can't wait to get my copy of the book. I love to read, used to be nicknamed The Bookworm, lol. My favorite genres are horror and sci-fi/fantasy.

Steve

Contributor
jaa19221
0 Kudos

I was notified that my ARC would be sent out next month? (Jan)  I was wondering if it could be sent any earlier.  I noticed that the other members have ben receiving thier copies already and was hoping to get started!  Thank you!

Jennifer

A room without books is like a body without a soul. ......Cicero

In the case of good books, the point is not how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you. ...Mortimer Adler
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

That was no doubt a mistake.  Fret not!  You will get your book this month.

jaa19221 wrote:

I was notified that my ARC would be sent out next month? (Jan)  I was wondering if it could be sent any earlier.  I noticed that the other members have ben receiving thier copies already and was hoping to get started!  Thank you!

Jennifer

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Everyman-

I'm  a book freak. There are stacks of books in every room. I read a lot of fiction. Kite Runner, A thousand splended suns. divisedero. Any given Day. I have this thing about ARC the whole idea of reading a book before it is even out to the public. Also being able to carry a soft cover knowing it is only out in hard cover.......I know kinda strange.

Lately I've been into young adult novels, jerk by jonathan friesen and 3 willows by ann brashares.

so you see me finding this book club was like finding a gem!

Message Edited by kittykat59 on 12-12-2008 12:08 AM
Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

jj
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

kittykat59 wrote:  I'm  a book freak. There are stacks of books in every room.

You're in good company.   These book clubs could easily be a twelve-step program for book freaks with stacks of books taking over the house.

In my case, we finally got to build our retirement house a few years ago.  My wife got a dedicated art room; I got a two story library.  But even that can't hold anything like all my books.   You can accumulate a lot of books if you start buying in your teens, get piles of books for every birthday and Christmas, and are on a first name "welcome, come in, come in!" basis with every bookstore in the community.  

But I don't smoke, and I don't drink, and I don't gamble, so I guess I'm entitled to spend  money on books.  :smileyhappy:  

0 Kudos

That is how I am too.  I always say that I am "addicted" to books.  That is something that I can deal with being addicted to.  I wish that I had a library in my house, with a cozy place to curl up with a book and coffee and read.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Before they kick us off this thread and send us over to the community room, I'll just mention that there is a wonderful story by Somerset Maugham titled The Book Bag about the reading addiction.
0 Kudos

I had a problem getting into the discussions.  I also have a problem getting in on the day of the discussion or just making sure that I understand the schedule on the discussion.

The Author even had a problem getting into the discussion.

Although I love reading the advance book, I find most of my time reading the discussion, "after the fact."  That is since I can't get in I go back and read the threads to keep up to date.

sailorreader
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

Maria, I haven't received info regarding my enrollment in this First Look. TIA for your reply. Joan Flynn
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Joan, please check your PM.

flyjo9 wrote:
Maria, I haven't received info regarding my enrollment in this First Look. TIA for your reply. Joan Flynn

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
corky200
0 Kudos

I got the first book but not the second. How do I get it?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 254 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: