Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

[ Edited ]

We're happy to announce that our next First Look selection is A Fortunate Age, a debut novel by Joanna Smith Rakoff. Rakoff takes us into the core of a group of friends, recent Oberlin graduates whose ambitions and friendships threaten to unravel as they chase their dreams, shed their youth, and build their lives in Brooklyn. Rakoff will be joining our discussion in January, months before the book will be published!

You will receive a free advance reading copy and access to the discussion with the author. The ARCs will mail next month and the discussion will begin on January 5. The book club will be visible to the public, but only those enrolled will be able to post on the board and discuss the book with the author and other readers.

While we are happy to share this free book with you, the best way to ensure that we can continue this program is for every recipient to come back and participate in the discussion. If you don't think you can find or make the time, we encourage you to wait for our next selection.

Here is how to enroll:

1. Sign in
If you are not signed into your book club account, please sign in from the link in the upper left of this page. This is important. If you don't sign in, you will not be able to request a book. If you are having trouble signing in, please click here for more information.

If you are not a registered book club user, you can create an account by clicking on the register link in the upper left of this page. It's easy, and it's free.

2. Submit your information (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED)
Now that you are signed into your account, click here (SORRY, ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED) . A private message (PM) will appear. Your private message must be enabled -- you can find that in Preferences > Display & Privacy Settings.

Now that your private message is open, enter the following information into the window, as described below:

Subject --

Your Message --
(your name)
(your mailing address, including zip)
(your daytime telephone number)

Note the following:
  • This message will be automatically sent to the correct mailbox -- do not insert or replace with additional addresses. We are only accepting registrations there. Please do not attempt to send this message to anyone else.
  • Be sure to give us all the information required and do not include any other text in this message other than what is requested.
  • These free books are limited, only one per account, per person, please. We will stop taking requests once we run out.
  • Finally, please do not post the requested information on the boards. Your information should only go into a private message.
Click "Send Message"

You only need to send this message once. You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via private message. It may take up to a week before this confirmation arrives. Once you get your confirmation, be sure to go to the welcome thread and introduce yourself!
Thanks for your enthusiasm, and for being a part of the Barnes & Noble Book Clubs. If you haven't done so already, please have a look at all our current discussions. There's a lot going on.
Message Edited by Maria_H on 12-08-2008 04:40 PM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

Maria_H wrote:

While we are happy to share this free book with you, the best way to ensure that we can continue this program is for every recipient to come back and participate in the discussion. If you don't think you can find or make the time, we encourage you to wait for our next selection.

I agree that readers who get a free, advance copy have a responsibility to participate in the discussion.

That said, there's a continuing access problem on this site. I was locked out of the bookclubs for approx 2 weeks of The Believers discussion, and only finally got back in because I spent hours (literally) on the phone trying to find some help. I still approach each logon with trepidation. The number of posts was down dramatically from previous discussions. You might run a program to see if members who've previously been active have logged on in the past month, and if not, get the developers to investigate.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback. I know how frustrating it was to be stuck in a log in cycle.

We are getting occasional reports from members who have trouble logging in from home, but not at work.  Our developers are looking into it and Jon_B will be addressing it in the help forum.

detailmuse wrote:

I agree that readers who get a free, advance copy have a responsibility to participate in the discussion.

That said, there's a continuing access problem on this site. I was locked out of the bookclubs for approx 2 weeks of The Believers discussion, and only finally got back in because I spent hours (literally) on the phone trying to find some help. I still approach each logon with trepidation. The number of posts was down dramatically from previous discussions. You might run a program to see if members who've previously been active have logged on in the past month, and if not, get the developers to investigate.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Maria, my PM was sent, even though I didn't hit the submit button, before I finished putting in my contact info. I sent another and was able to get my info in, but I wanted you to know thats why there are 2 PM's from me.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:
Maria, my PM was sent, even though I didn't hit the submit button, before I finished putting in my contact info. I sent another and was able to get my info in, but I wanted you to know thats why there are 2 PM's from me.

Maria, I too, had the same problem and sent another PM.
April
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

aprilh wrote:

debbook wrote:

Maria, I too, had the same problem and sent another PM.

Maria,  I also had the same problem twice, the third PM I sent is complete.
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

I had the same problem.   I had to fill in the info a second time.  I think the tab button wasn't working.

MG

Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

I just sent in a second message, too. I did not receive a confirmation that my first one had been sent, and after reading the posts, I wondered if my first one got through. Hence, the second post. I hope this does not cause any problem for you.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of this club. I love it.

Cathy 

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I had the same problem also I sent my request three time.  Because I hadn't hit summit It sent it any way. I hope that they have fix the problems so that everyone else doesn't will not have the same problem as we did.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

They usually don't acknowledge the PMs for several weeks --- at least that's been the pattern in the past.  You can always tell whether your message went or not by gooing to the Private Messages area and checking your Sent messages listing. 

HannibalCat wrote:

I just sent in a second message, too. I did not receive a confirmation that my first one had been sent, and after reading the posts, I wondered if my first one got through. Hence, the second post. I hope this does not cause any problem for you.

Cathy 

0 Kudos

I  also had a hard time signing in during the last discussion.  And I can't sign up for the books at all from home anymore. This time I even had a hard time signing up at work.  Everytime I clicked on the link for the PM it just went back to this thread.  It took about a dozen tries, but I finally got my PM sent.  I thought it was just me, I guess it's good to know other people are having problems.
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

They usually don't acknowledge the PMs for several weeks --- at least that's been the pattern in the past.  You can always tell whether your message went or not by gooing to the Private Messages area and checking your Sent messages listing. 

HannibalCat wrote:

Cathy 

Thanks Everyman, appreciate your response. Look forward to seeing you on this club if we get in. I always enjoy your posts. 

Contributor
Jusship
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Can readers residing outside of the U.S. participate in this program? I live in Singapore.

Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Jusship wrote:

Hi Maria,

Can readers residing outside of the U.S. participate in this program? I live in Singapore.

Yes, Jusship, you can. I live in Brazil and I have participated quite often in BN Book Club.

Hugs!

Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

I had no trouble sending my message this time, but I too was locked out of any access for a period during the last first look club. Very frustrating. 
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
New User
E_Sommer
0 Kudos

Hi, Maria,

I cannot seem to get the PM to register my info.  I am returned to this discussion board so cannot submit info by clicking on you "click here" link in Item 2. below.  I am signed into my account so I don't know what else to do.  Ideas?  Thank you.   

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

E_Sommer wrote:

Hi, Maria,

I cannot seem to get the PM to register my info.  I am returned to this discussion board so cannot submit info by clicking on you "click here" link in Item 2. below.  I am signed into my account so I don't know what else to do.  Ideas?  Thank you.   

E Sommer,

Hi!

Did you remember to "enable private" messages, which is in your "Preferences" - up above this window?  Click on that:

It will send you to "Privacy Settings", click on that tab.....scroll to the bottom of that window, and you'll find where you check the box to enable your PM envelope.  If you've already done this, I'm not sure what the problem is.  I'm sure Maria can help you.

Good luck,

Kathy S.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi E_Sommer,

Please try what Kathy suggested below.  If that does not work, please try to send me a PM. 

Thanks.

KathyS wrote:

E_Sommer wrote:

Hi, Maria,

E Sommer,

Hi!

Did you remember to "enable private" messages, which is in your "Preferences" - up above this window?  Click on that:

It will send you to "Privacy Settings", click on that tab.....scroll to the bottom of that window, and you'll find where you check the box to enable your PM envelope.  If you've already done this, I'm not sure what the problem is.  I'm sure Maria can help you.

Good luck,

Kathy S.

New User
TwoHats
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to me. I sent a second enrollment. No confirmation yet.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Check this thread for confirmation schedule.

TwoHats wrote:
The same thing happened to me. I sent a second enrollment. No confirmation yet.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:46 members 433 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: