Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Post Your Reviews of the Book

Thanks to everyone for being such an enthusiastic First Look Book Club member for A Fortunate Age!

If you haven't done so yet, please go to the book's product page and post your review for the book.  When you are done, copy the permalink and post it to this thread to share your review with everyone.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

Re: Post Your Reviews of the Book

I enjoyed the book immensely and found it very good for a debut novel.  However, the author told about each character in the group separately, almost like little novels within a big novel.  During the section where each individual character was given their own story, the other characters receded into the background.  There wasn't enough interplay between all the characters throughout the book.  I found that I would get absorbed in one character's story and then the author would go on to talk about another character - I found myself almost forgetting about the  first character.  By the time all the characters were discussed, I found it a little muddled and was a bit confused as to who was who.  Still, I thought the writing was excellent and couldn't put down the book, which is the mark of a good story.  I found the descriptions of single life in New York City rang true.  It brought back memories of when I lived in New York City.  I thought the details of life in NYC very accurate. 

Contributor
LA-Rose
0 Kudos

My Review

Check out my review:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1060580

"If you are forgotten, it is as if you have never lived. So, you must make yourself remembered: write a legacy." -L.A. Rose
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Check out my review of this book:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/reviews.aspx?reviewid=1060591

Message Edited by jabrkeKB on 01-27-2009 08:59 PM
Contributor
scuddednimbus
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

Here is my review. I had posted it originally on Goodreads before our group discussion and it still held true despite all the conversations here.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1060669

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I enjoyed the book and passed it on to my daughter with the hope that her book club will read it. I also passed on the title and your name to the Friedman Commission for Jewish Education, in West Palm Beach, FL. I hope they will consider you for their author discussion in 2010.
twj

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

My review:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Review.aspx?page=Review&reviewid=1060813

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

New User
BookinBabe
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

I found it a little hard to get through the first couple of chapters but after that I basically liked the book alot. I especially liked Sadie and Emily and their story line. Thank you Joanna for sharing your debut novel with us. Yvonne 
New User
LorriM
0 Kudos

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

However, the author told about each character in the group separately, almost like little novels within a big novel.  During the section where each individual character was given their own story, the other characters receded into the background.  There wasn't enough interplay between all the characters throughout the book.  I found that I would get absorbed in one character's story and then the author would go on to talk about another character - I found myself almost forgetting about the  first character.  By the time all the characters were discussed, I found it a little muddled and was a bit confused as to who was who.  

Your summary of the book as a whole expresses exactly how I felt about the story.  I wanted the passing revelations about another character fleshed out so I could know the details that led to that revelation.  I'm glad that I had the chance to read this debut novel and expect that we will have more to read from Rakoff.

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Here's my review. Once again, thank you for the enjoyable reading!

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1061243

dhaupt
0 Kudos

sjj
Contributor
sjj
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos