Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Post Your Reviews of the Book

I wrote my review and its on the reviews board but can't get the link to work so you can scann all of them and find it. Thanks!  Linda
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

I've posted my review: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1061709.

I found the book difficult to enjoy. If I lived in New York, or had one to Oberlin, or had tried to make it in New York, I might have found it very enjoyable. Joanna is a talented writer. I hope she chooses a more universal theme for her next book.

Frequent Contributor
Dances_through_Books
0 Kudos

I found this work an ambitious debut novel for Joanna Smith Rakoff.  She is an accomplished writer whose story focuses on Oberlin graduates in the 90's navigating Graduate School, Careers, Marriage, and kids through all the political turmoil of the age. A good read for Gen Xers through the Millenials.  All questions are not answered in the end, for those that enjoy closed ending novels.
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Here is my review. I appreciate the opportunity to read this book, but it is not one I would recommend.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
chris227
0 Kudos

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos
Contributor
daylilies1126
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Here's my review.
Message Edited by krb2g on 02-03-2009 01:14 PM
Message Edited by krb2g on 02-03-2009 01:15 PM
Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

A good age Reader Rating 

Posted 12/17/08: I thought the characters were interesting and true to life. They had a life of their own. The writing style was original and excellent.It was so stimulating to read something with an original plot. This is my first time reading this author but in the future I will look for more of her books. I found it to be a page turner.

A new fan
JAT

Frequent Contributor
Darbys_Closet
0 Kudos

I recently finished “A Fortunate Age” by Joanna Smith Rakoff.   This book follows a handful of characters from after college into their early thirties.  Each character has a chapter and the chapter shares aspects from their early family life, their introduction and ties to the group along with their personal insights on life, love and others in the group.  As the book progresses the individuals lives change and each character takes on a “calling” unique to their current status in society  and personal goals.  Their lives continue to intersect due to random events along with planned functions, as the pages turn.    

Overall this novel is a collection of individual stories that when tied together make up a larger story.  A story about growing up, finding ourselves, being true to ourselves and about what friends bring and take from relationships.  I would recommend this book to anyone who just wants to escape from their daily functions into a world that is not so much unlike their own, yet is not their own.   If you think of the sitcom “Friends” this book is along those lines yet with more depth into the individual characters.

I hope that Joanna is planning to make this book a part of many, for I find myself missing and wondering about these characters, long after I read the last page.  To me that is mark of a great story!

Contributor
lc_dakr810lire
0 Kudos

I found A Fortunate Age to be a little stale and monotonous at times. I managed to enjoy the overall plot but was highly disappointed with the ending considering many of the questions that surfaced throughout reading the novel remained unanswered. I, also, got confused throughout the story because the author would speak about one girl and would then go onto the next and never come back to the first. I constantly found myself forgetting about the early characters.  

Despite the book's imperfections, I found the novel still pleasing to read since I have many fond memories of New York and Joanna Smith Rakoff's descriptions of New York recreated them in my mind. Through it all, I probably would recommend it to selected individuals who have been to New York. I'm sure they would enjoy the backdrop. 

We read to know we are not alone.
- C.S. Lewis
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This debut novel attempted to combine a novel's heft and gravity with short story nimbleness. We meet six highly educated, upper-middle class friends from Oberlin. The book starts when they reunite at Lil’s wedding, and ends when they attend her death by suicide. Since each chapter, like individual short stories, focused on one character at a time, I anticipated that the accumulation of their individual stories would result in a novel full of social realism, similar to those of 19th-Century George Eliot. I expected an ironic and socially biting look into the self-absorbed 20th-century lives of these characters.

The author's love for Brooklyn and its environs is palpable; the social mores of high-priced coffeeshops and gentrified factory lofts are brilliantly realized. But Smith is not always successful in other areas: she succumbs to melodrama, for example, in her treatment of the bride's Jewish relatives, who are not so much characters as vehicles for many contradictory impulses of feminism and New York City liberal political posturing. She squeezed too much hipness into these characters’ mundane lives, and unsuccessfully linked their personal tales with the historical force of 9/11.

With so many characters, this novel could have used a central figure. I had a difficult time distinguishing Beth from Emily, or Sadie from Lil. No one character served as tour guide as I tried to negotiate past the author’s restless shifts in point of view.The finished product turned out to be all simmer, but not a hearty Manhattan chowder. The relentlessly changing perspectives, and the awkward pacing of story development, carried more weight than plot itself.

I became frustrated with the directionless drift of their stories. I finished the novel more out of a sense of obligation. Although I’m glad for the opportunity to have read it, this is a book that I will not reread.

Message Edited by IBIS on 02-11-2009 06:10 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
moomjy
0 Kudos

I enjoyed this book.Will look for more work by this author in the future.Thanks for sharing your debut novel with us
Contributor
juliejon
0 Kudos

I absolutely agree.  The character development was very good but, there were no threads or relationships or some sort of connection that would have made the characters richer and more three deminsional.

I did enjoy the book, read it very fast and am going to read it again.  This is something that I always find a richer experience.  The "First Read (no pun intended)  occasionally becomes "How does it end"...yes I did read ahead in grade school.

New User
bethany1966
0 Kudos

I have to admit that I didn't finish this book.  I rarely do that, but a wise friend at the library once told me that if a book didn't grab her in the first 20 pages, to put it down and find another!  I gave this book more than 20 pages, but I just never got it.  The characters seemed silly, the plot seemed weak and I couldn't like it.  I gave it to my daughter to see if she liked it, she is in her twenties, I am in my forties.  I wanted to like it, I really did!!
Inspired Contributor
mattzay
0 Kudos

Interesting but Missing Something Reader Rating 3 starsSee Detailed Ratings

Posted 03/02/09: I read this book as part of the First Look Club. I found the book interesting, especially because I could relate to the characters. It was hard adjusting to life after college. I really liked the characters and it was interesting to watch them develop but I would have liked to have see the characters interact more. The author writes sections from each characters point of view but you really don't get much input from them again after their section is finished. I would also have liked to have gotten to see what some of the other secondary characterst thought or felt. Especially the husbands.

0 out of 0 people found this review helpful.

biljounc63
0 Kudos

Here is my review:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1092034
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I posted my review,but could not link..need to sign up for BN 101.."How to Link"...I did like the book,maybe because I am so familiar with the players and NY.It was guite lenghty,the characters were very complex,but its all part of that time period,everybody analyzing everything they do,parents,friends..I like to believe that we have all grown up a bit and just accept (what am I saying) life,but its complicated out there..V
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
gl
gl
0 Kudos

Though quite late, I wanted to add my review of the book below:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1100029

Thanks!

Gaby