Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Alexis_Gargagliano
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the Editor

Hi there,

I'm so happy that you are finding yourself immersed in the novel. I agree about long books starting slowly and then getting under your skin--it is wonderful.  As for the publishing process--forgive me if I'm being obtuse, but do you mean big as in long, or big as in lots of attention paid?

ag 

detailmuse wrote:

Hi Alexis -- thanks for being here and bringing books for all of us. I'm just halfway through, had to press a bit to get this far but now in the middle of a very busy week, I find I'm thinking of the book all the time, can't wait to get back to it. I find that often with a long book -- it's slower to begin but then the immersion becomes lovely. And this is a long book, not so much in pages but in words. I'm wondering: what are the issues associated with acquiring, editing and marketing a big book these days?

Learn more about A Fortunate Age.
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

Big as in long ... and even longer if the pages weren't so densely formatted. Don't both publishers and readers shy away from longer books?

Alexis_Gargagliano wrote:

Hi there,

I'm so happy that you are finding yourself immersed in the novel. I agree about long books starting slowly and then getting under your skin--it is wonderful.  As for the publishing process--forgive me if I'm being obtuse, but do you mean big as in long, or big as in lots of attention paid?

ag 

detailmuse wrote:

Hi Alexis -- thanks for being here and bringing books for all of us. I'm just halfway through, had to press a bit to get this far but now in the middle of a very busy week, I find I'm thinking of the book all the time, can't wait to get back to it. I find that often with a long book -- it's slower to begin but then the immersion becomes lovely. And this is a long book, not so much in pages but in words. I'm wondering: what are the issues associated with acquiring, editing and marketing a big book these days?

Contributor
Alexis_Gargagliano
0 Kudos

You'll probably get varied answers to this question. I do think you are right that we are at a moment when short books, often with lower prices, have a wide appeal. That said, there are always exceptions, like Edgar Sawtelle, and in the end a good book is a good book no matter the page count. I believe that a book should be as long as it needs to be. I don't think Joanna could have pulled this off with 150 fewer pages. And, like you

detailmuse wrote:

Big as in long ... and even longer if the pages weren't so densely formatted. Don't both publishers and readers shy away from longer books?

Alexis_Gargagliano wrote:

Hi there,

ag 

detailmuse wrote:

, I love the satisfaction of a long book that carries you along and immerses you in a world, but I do feel that every page of a book should be necessary, that the plot must sustain its verve and the characters must be rich enough to keep your attention and compel you.  

Learn more about A Fortunate Age.
Contributor
mshukers
0 Kudos

I have received and read the book A Fortunate Age but am not able to reply in the discussion. I appear to be lovked out. I must admit I did not really relate to the characters at all, maybe because I'm amall town/ country woman. Thanks, Mary