Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Welcome & Introductions

Welcome to the next First Look! I'm Karen and I'm delighted to be moderating this discussion of Joanna Smith Rakoff's A Fortunate Age.

Please introduce yourselves and get to know each other below.

New User
txgritsTD
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Hi, I'm Terri and I can't wait to read this book!
Contributor
Tigger31
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Tawnya and I am really looking forward to this book..... :smileyhappy:
Be an angel, support the military.... Ask me how!!
www.soldiersangels.org
Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Sue and I so loved my first experience with First Look....this book sounds really interesting and I love reading authors first books :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Karen and gang for new First Look,

Wow that was fast.  I'm Debbie from Portage Des Sioux, MO (near St. Louis) I'm 54 and love to read, I belong to many book clubs both on-line and in person and serve on the board of directors for my library district.

I love the First Look book club getting to read and share with authors about their upcoming publications and discussing it with so many different people with just as many opinions about the same book. I am proud to say I've been with First Look from the beginning and I still get excited when a new read is announced. So those of you who are new get ready for a great experience and for those old friends out there from the other great reads lets have some more fun. And lastly thanks to Maria and Karen for their great moderating.

Can't wait !! 

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Welcome to newbies and veterans!  And thanks for the kind words dhaupt!

We look forward to seeing your comments and insights about the book when the discussion beings.  Without your participation, there can be no First Look.

txgritsTD wrote:
Hi, I'm Terri and I can't wait to read this book!

Tigger31 wrote:
Hi! My name is Tawnya and I am really looking forward to this book..... :smileyhappy:

Shadowwolf36 wrote:

Hi, my name is Sue and I so loved my first experience with First Look....this book sounds really interesting and I love reading authors first books :smileyhappy:

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Karen and gang for new First Look,

Wow that was fast.  I'm Debbie from Portage Des Sioux, MO (near St. Louis) I'm 54 and love to read, I belong to many book clubs both on-line and in person and serve on the board of directors for my library district.

I love the First Look book club getting to read and share with authors about their upcoming publications and discussing it with so many different people with just as many opinions about the same book. I am proud to say I've been with First Look from the beginning and I still get excited when a new read is announced. So those of you who are new get ready for a great experience and for those old friends out there from the other great reads lets have some more fun. And lastly thanks to Maria and Karen for their great moderating.

Can't wait !! 

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote: ...

I belong to many book clubs both on-line and in person ...

Are there other "open" (anybody can join) book discussion groups like BN that you find particularly  interesting?
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Jessica from the Boston area. I am really looking forward to this discussion. I signed up for and read The Believers but was somehow locked out of posting on the discussion boards...and I had so much to say!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
sorry posted twice
Message Edited by dhaupt on 11-19-2008 12:54 PM
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

dhaupt wrote: ...

I belong to many book clubs both on-line and in person ...

Are there other "open" (anybody can join) book discussion groups like BN that you find particularly  interesting?

There is Librarything and yahoo have a lot of book clubs too plus my local library district has on-line clubs. But I have to admit I like the format better at B&N than any where else so I spend most of the time here
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Bonnie. I've participated in all but one of the first look books (the first one). I read every day and belong to a "live" bookclub as well. I'm married, the mother or 3 (almost) grown kids and work as a school psychologist in a small rural county in NC.
Contributor
loves2read_MA
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Tracey and am looking forward to reading this book !
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,  My name is Mike and I live in Western Massachusetts.  I look forward to reading "A Fortunate Age", and joining in on the discussion. 
Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
Jodi
0 Kudos

Hi Im Jodi.  I live in Wisconsin. Can't wait for the next first look book.  It sounds good.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hi,

Linda from Central Va., who has been around these clubs for years, is again patiently waiting for another great book thanks to Barnes and Noble and the Authors and Publishers.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! It's always a pleasure to see a mix of new members and regulars like Debbie, Eman, and Linda.

I wanted to mention that if you haven't already created a My B&N profile, you can get started by clicking on the "My B&N" link at the very top right of the page. It's easy and fun to do! Don't forget to set your profile to public if you'd like to share your recommendations with other members.

Karen

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reminder!

While you are in your My B&N, we want to see your Best of 2008 lists.  Click here for more information from Jon_B.

KxBurns wrote:

Hi everyone! It's always a pleasure to see a mix of new members and regulars like Debbie, Eman, and Linda.

I wanted to mention that if you haven't already created a My B&N profile, you can get started by clicking on the "My B&N" link at the very top right of the page. It's easy and fun to do! Don't forget to set your profile to public if you'd like to share your recommendations with other members.

Karen

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
canders
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Cristy from NC and this is my first time doing this. The book sounds great and I am looking forward to reading it and joining the discussion. I love to read and wish I could do it for a job - I read all kinds of books.

Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

Hi My name is Norma and I live in a suburb of Chicago.  I have been in the First Look before.  I am sorry that I wasn't able to participate in the last one -- I was in the hospital and then my mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.  I hope to get in for this one and participate.  This book sounds really good!

Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My name is Teresa and I live in Northern VA.  I am looking forward to reading A Fortunate Age and discussing it here on the board.  This will be my second First Look bookCan't wait!! 
Message Edited by libralady on 11-21-2008 02:06 PM
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 58 members 1,226 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: