Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Hi all and welcome everyone to our fabulous Barnes and noble book clubs. I found part of paradise when I discovered these clubs a few years back. They are my savior. I get carried away to heaven over and over again. All my worries leaves this old head of mine and I hit twilight zone for awhile. I wish I could stay there, but no, I know I live in the real world but the books, the people, the clubs keep me up and going. toward my destiney. I am Linda from Central Va. and am retired after working 28 yrs with mentally challenged adults. I administered meds and txs most of my years and some years just took care of them.  I am glad the working life has ended even though I enjoyed most of the years of working with my clients. I have four grown children and seven almost grown grandchildren. All but two of the grandchildren live away from me but I do visit when I can. My oldest, Megan is finishing Va. Tech University this Spring and is going to medical college and my grandson Thomas, the next oldest graduates high school and hopefully will take some courses at a community college. My youngest is Chadley and he is a active fun loving four year old.  Happy reading to us all.   Linda
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

I agree.  I have my book already and have started reading it and don't feel that it would be fair to mention anything about the book.  I have been in a couple other First Looks where people have posted that they did or did not like certain aspects of the book.  I wouldn't want to read that because it could taint the way you start off with the book.
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of  A Fortunate Age.  I so enjoy everyone's insight into the books offered in this book club.  Others perceptions often give me a new perspective on a character.  :smileysurprised:
meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
New User
intentionallyblank
0 Kudos

Hi! Im Elena and I cannot wait to read this book!
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Yay, my copy of the book has made its way across the oceans and has arrived this morning.  Looks like an interesting read!
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Frequent Contributor
Litfan
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Stacie from VA and I'm looking forward to participating in the discussion in January.  I received my copy of the book this week-- nice early Christmas present!

Linda, what part of Central VA are you in?  I lived in Lynchburg for a couple of years and loved it-- worked with children with mental health issues there.  I can relate to what you said about reading-- it is great stress relief especially after a long week at work!

Look forward to chatting with you all.

Stacie

Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:  Wheee I made it, got my confirmation and now will be looking out the door everyday waiting impatiently for my copy of A Fortunate Age.  It sounds like it's going to be a good read.  I read all the comments everyone makes, but when it comes time for me to write something I get "writers block" .  I have more books in my house than anything else, and every time I can get more I do lol!  Next to my "zoo" reading is my favorite, then gardening, crocheting and playing games on Pogo.  I have four grown children, 2 boys and 2 girls. 6 grandchildren and 2 great-grandsons and another great grand baby due in June. My
"zoo" now only consists of 2 dogs, Lab mixes, Bear, my Golden ret/Gold Lab is the oldest and the gentle one, Jackpot, Black Lab/Rott mix is the troublemaker, He knows how to open gates and screen doors, so they have to be locked now.  I have two cats now, Sawsha & Boreus, lost Little Bit in Aug, And I went from four ferrets to two this year.  Both Artee and Ted-E had to have surgery for lymphnoma, but are now acting like kits again.  
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
New User
Janno63
0 Kudos

Hello to all,

My name is Jan and I live on the seacoast in New Hampshire.  This bookclub is a first for me, and I am looking forward to joining in on the discussions!:womanvery-happy:

New User
Meg1897
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Meg. I just got my copy this week and I can't wait to read and hear what everyone thinks of it next month!
Reader
NancyK
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Nancy, from the Philadelphia area. This is my first First Look book club and I'm looking forward to reading this book and meeting everyone in the discussion.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

I got my book.  I'm going to try holding off from reading it for a bit.   I've tried it both ways, reading all of it at once and sorta reading with the club.  When I read all at once, I use sticky notes for stuff I want to remember and bring up for discussion.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mine was waiting for me when I arrived home on Friday. Yippee!!

And I'm with Eman about being glad no one has started to discuss the book yet. 

Message Edited by dhaupt on 12-08-2008 09:46 AM
Contributor
AthenaLS
0 Kudos

I too am glad no one has said anything about what they've read so far.  I received my book last week, but we just moved into a new house and I haven't had time to start reading it yet.  As soon as I can get unpacked, I plan to start on it ASAP.

~L.S.
"A house without books, is like a room without windows." H. Mann
New User
mstlwilliams
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Terry from Little Rock, AR.  This is my first online book club and I'm really looking forward to it.  Hopefully, my book will arrive soon.  I can't wait!
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Received my book last week and I'm so grateful to Barnes and Noble for the opportunity to read and talk about these books. I have participated in all the First Look books and it's been wonderful talking to all the authors about their works. Thanks again BN. Yvonne
New User
storker
0 Kudos

Hi All, 

This will be my first book club and I am curious as to how long after registration does it take for the book to arrive?  I can't wait!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I used sticky notes in the past, but now use the highlighter w/post-it flags. It works great, and I can read anywhere, and I can always find a special passage. Great tool!

EbonyAngel wrote:

I got my book.  I'm going to try holding off from reading it for a bit.   I've tried it both ways, reading all of it at once and sorta reading with the club.  When I read all at once, I use sticky notes for stuff I want to remember and bring up for discussion.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
onyx9
0 Kudos

Mr. UPS - man just knocked on the door with my copy of 'A Fourtunate Age'.  I am in the middle of a different book club read, so I will get to start this one soon.  I am eager to get to the discussions too, it is always so much fun to see how different people see/understand the same words.  This should be fun! 

Thanks to B&N for including me in this month (January 2009) pick. 

Reader 2
ReeRee313
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Ree.  i just got my book and I can't wait to start it.
New User
Lussie
0 Kudos

Received my book!

Hi!  I just came home and found A Fortunate Age waiting for me.  I have jury duty on Wednesday, and plan to spend all the "down time" enjoying this book.  It really looks good.

My name is Linda.  I am a retired teacher of students with learning and adjustment problems, and have also taught reading.  I am active in community groups, and two book groups.

I look forward  to discussing the book with all of you.

Linda

Lussie
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 662 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: