Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Melissa, that's the pits!  I've never had to sign for any books.  I usually leave a trail of cookie crumbs to my back door step!  Yesterday, I saw him coming down the driveway, and I tackled him before the book had a chance to hit the step!  I think I scared him!  Only once did the driver leave a book at the front of my house, it was almost hidden under the patio furniture, not even at my front door step!  Days later, it's a good thing I went out the front door, or I'd have never have discovered it!

I hope you get it today!

K.

pedsphleb wrote:

Well, I would have my ARC but the UPS driver seems to think that I have to sign for the delivery (???????) and, as luck would have it, it is too late to make the UPS tracking system change the delivery to have it held at the depot.  Guess I'm going to have to sign the back and hope that he leaves it tomorrow while I'm at work.

I have the most bipolar delivery drivers in my area - they'll make you sign for a small package with one book but they'll leave an expensive printer on your doorstep.  *sigh*

Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

Hi,   I am Doreen. Just got the book in the mail yesterday.

First time for advance copy reading.

Love all the book discussions though.

Ive already ready some 50pgs of this book.

This is going to be a fun experience, I can tell. 

New User
storker
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Maria, you asked how we have heard about this First Look Book Club and I have to say I just lucked out!  I was surfing the BN website and just happened to check on book clubs.  When I read all of the info regarding sign-up, etc. I was extremely excited!  I read usually a book a day but don't have anyone to share my thoughts with ( I am married but my husband usually only reads sci-fi).  I immediately signed up and received my ARC yesterday.  Thanks to all of you who have been here before me for keeping up the interest and ensuring that there will be future First Looks!!

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I just ran the InfoTrack number and it was delivered today :smileyhappy:

KathyS wrote:

Melissa, that's the pits!  I've never had to sign for any books.  I usually leave a trail of cookie crumbs to my back door step!  Yesterday, I saw him coming down the driveway, and I tackled him before the book had a chance to hit the step!  I think I scared him!  Only once did the driver leave a book at the front of my house, it was almost hidden under the patio furniture, not even at my front door step!  Days later, it's a good thing I went out the front door, or I'd have never have discovered it!

I hope you get it today!

K.

pedsphleb wrote:

Well, I would have my ARC but the UPS driver seems to think that I have to sign for the delivery (???????) and, as luck would have it, it is too late to make the UPS tracking system change the delivery to have it held at the depot.  Guess I'm going to have to sign the back and hope that he leaves it tomorrow while I'm at work.

I have the most bipolar delivery drivers in my area - they'll make you sign for a small package with one book but they'll leave an expensive printer on your doorstep.  *sigh*

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:

Welcome to our new members and returning First Look veterans!

There are a lot of new people joining us for the first time and we're thrilled to have fresh voices and opinions in this forum! 

Will you tell us how you heard about this program?

Maria

I'm just getting active in the clubs and happened to see the "ad" for first look along the side of the page I was on and thought it would be fun to try. I thought at first that the group was looking at just released books. I was even more interested to find out the group is looking at books that have not been yet released it is great opportunity. 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
New User
JesO
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Jessica...this is my first experience with the First Look Book club and I can't wait!
New User
meos1011
0 Kudos

Hello - This is MEO from Kentucky and this is my first "First Look" book.  Anxious to get started.
Reader 2
Fudgsicle1
0 Kudos

Hello, I am Lu Anne and live in NC.

I just received my book yesterday.  I am very excited and look forward to our discussion.

Merry Christmas!

Frequent Contributor
Terrie
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

I'm Terrie from Wisconsin.  (To those I have sent PMs to in the past - I'm back and missed you!!!) 

I was in the House of Riverton First Look Club and loved it and the discussions.  I was also in the Sisters and Songs for the Missing, but did not participate very much in the discussions because of spoilers almost everytime I went online - even in designatied threads!  I'm with everyone else who has expressed their appreciation for no spoilers so far!! It really makes a difference as to both how you read the book and how much you want to participate!  This book sounds very interesting - I'm looking forward to a good book with a good discussion with all!  All my best to everyone!  It will be nice to see you all in the threads!

Carpe Diem!
Reader 2
tanyaTN
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Tanya.  This is my first B&N book club read.  I belong to 3 book clubs at home and I am looking forward to a new experience. Can't wait to start!
Frequent Contributor
GSB65
0 Kudos

I was shopping on the website and happened to see something on the side of the page about First Look.  I love to read and am in a book club here where I live.  I thought First Look sounded like something I would enjoy so I signed up for it.  I'm really looking forward to it!!

Stephenie

New User
Realities_Burden
0 Kudos

Hi, this is my first time doing a book club, yet alone a first look. I am looking forward to receiving my copy of "A Fortunate Age".
Inspired Contributor
kittykat59
0 Kudos

hi maria,

Always wanted to belong to an online book club was surfing the b&n website and just happened to see first look and quickly signed up. I want to thank b&n and everyone who makes this possible. Received my copy this evening YIPEE!!! Gonna start reading ASAP!!

Contributor
danikl
0 Kudos

My copy of A Fortunate Age arrived yesterday!

Am looking forward to participating in the discussions.

So glad I stumbled into the First Look, by exploring the Barnes & Noble website.

Contributor
KomodoDragon
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Mark and I received my copy of the book yesterday.  I began reading it immediately.  The book is a little different then what I normally read, but I want to expand my literary horizons.
Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Jessica and this is my first time participating in the First Look Book Club.  My book arrived today and I am anxious to get started.
Contributor
nikkid
0 Kudos

I found out about the First Look program when I came across it on the Barnes and Noble website.  I was so excited and I still am!  Thank you for this wonderful opportunity.  I am so grateful.
Contributor
CTMH_Amy
0 Kudos

Hi KathyS,

Thank you for that information. That is definitely all I was looking for. I just started reading the book and definitely wasn't looking for any advanced information or to give away anything prior to January. As a new member, having never participated in this type of bookclub, I was merely curious as to how participation in this type of format may or may not have an impact on the final printing of any book, not just this one in particular. Thank you for your insight. I definitely understand the concept of making notes as I move along through the book. Not too different from the college days, both undergrad and postgrad! Ah...memories!

Amy

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

I still haven't decided how I'm going to do it this time.  The first couple of books I read on the schedule, but then for the latter ones I read all at once.  I found it harder to participate when I read it all at once, but a more enjoyable reading experience (spoilers, etc).  I think I'm going to try to read with the schedule again this time, because I really didn't participate in the discussion much with the last few books.  However, I might pick up a highlighter like you mention just in case I get "sucked" into the book at can't stop when I'm supposed to!!!!

DSaff wrote:

I used sticky notes in the past, but now use the highlighter w/post-it flags. It works great, and I can read anywhere, and I can always find a special passage. Great tool!

EbonyAngel wrote:

I got my book.  I'm going to try holding off from reading it for a bit.   I've tried it both ways, reading all of it at once and sorta reading with the club.  When I read all at once, I use sticky notes for stuff I want to remember and bring up for discussion.

Reader 2
sherton
0 Kudos

My name is Sharon and I live in Central Iowa.  I can't wait to read my second First Look novel!