Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introductions

I'm with Popper - it was easier to participate in the discussion when I didn't read ahead of the schedule - I found I had more to contribute as I didn't know what to expect in future readings and I didn't have to worry about spoilers.

Marie - like everyone else, I found the First Look Book Club browsing the Barnes & Noble website for other book clubs

I received my book yesterday - I live in Central Texas.

Nancy

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Maria, you had asked how us first-timers had found the First Look.  I have only been recently on B&N more and commenting on a few forums.  I had a little more time the other day, and found this. I look forward to receiving the book, reading it, and discussing it!

``Linda

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Reader 4
PHDuarte
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Pamela from Chicago and this is the first on-line book group I've participated in. I look forward to the book and the experience and seeing what others think of the book.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I got my book yesterday and can't wait to start the discussions, although I'm going to hold off reading any of the book until after Christmas. It's hard for me to write in books (even textbooks) but I may try a highlighter this time.  I'll definitely use sticky notes and stickies to mark the places I want to discuss. 
Reader 4
Justine_H
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Justine from Southern California. I love to read and am looking forward to reading the book.

Justine
Contributor
LibraryGirlReads
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Angela and this will be my first time participating in the First Look Program.  I heard about the program in a thread about ARCs at Library Thing.

I received A Fortunate Age yesterday and am looking forward to participating in the discussions.

Contributor
akymberli
0 Kudos

Hello from San Antonio~

My name is Kim and this is my first First Look discussion.  I got my copy Saturday, and am already hooked because I graduated in 1995.  I haven't lived in New York, but I was lucky enough to live in Austin and Madison, WI, during those last years of the millennium. 

Can't wait to see what happens!

New User
Elenadc
0 Kudos

Hi all!  My name is Liz and I'm a college student from Wisconsin.  I just got my book today, and it was a great surprise to come home from class and have it waiting for me.

I'm currently reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon, and when I finish that next week I can't wait to read A Fortunate Age. 

Reader 4
chris3177
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,  My name is Christine and I live in Florida. 

This is my very first book club (online or otherwise) and I am really excited about reading "A Fortunate Age", and joining in on the discussion. 

:smileyhappy:

Reader 2
cKid
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I go by my nick, cK. I currently live in Orlando, but have lived in other places before. This is my 1st bn.com book club experience and I am looking forward to the discussion... one bad/good thing about my reading habits... it depends on who you are I suppose, I read my books in two, three days, sometimes in one sitting. :smileyhappy: Than get separation anxiety. Which also means another trip to the book store.

Reader 2
Nibroc
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! My name is Corbin, and I am from the Nashville, TN area.  This is my first book club ever, and I am looking forward to the discussions.  I received my book today, and I can not wait to dive in!

Contributor
DariaFreeman
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Daria. I am really looking forward to reading this book. I was excited about the subjuct matter, as well as the fact that it is a first read opportunity. I am looking forward to discussing this wonderful book with all of you. I have been looking for a book club for quite awhile, but unfortunately people in my area just talk about book clubs, but no one ever starts one. I was just introduced to this online book club when I became a member. To be honest, I never  knew that these book clubs existed. 

If I can't have a "living person" book club, at least I can talk to you guys online. I am looking forward to it. I am assuming our copies will come in January. I was under the impression it had to be read by January. I can see that no one has a copy yet though........whew.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW-- What a Ride! Thanks, God!"
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I'm Diane and this is my first First Look to join in on! I received my copy yesterday and can't wait to get started!  If anyone has any advice for first timers I'd love to hear your perspective.....
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi  I read that you are looking for a similar book club...Go to VPR.net..click ..Winter Reading, I just heard them on the radio(we only listen to vpr in Vt,we are just that way)...I am going to find out more myself..might be something I would join... A new Book about Vt..Almost Utopia..just came out. The review by Tom Slayton peaked my interest...Vt 1950-1960's  Have a good one..since I am new ..this is just a wonderful venue for me.......Susan,VtCozy
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
New User
Janno63
0 Kudos

Just received my copy yesterday!  So Fast!  I am home sick today, so I get to read all day!!
Reader
Binabear
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Sabine.  I have read several of the First Look books.  Each one was outstanding; although they were all quite different.  I'm looking forward to reading A Fortunate Age while shivering under a blanket here in frosty Minnesota :smileysurprised:)
New User
KKSNC
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

I am Karen and I am a mom and a psychologist in Charlotte, NC.  I have always wanted to participate in a book club, and now I am in two- a neighborhood book club and this First Look group.  My neighborhood club recently read The Thirteenth Tale which was amazing.  I just got my copy of A Fortunate Age and am looking forward to reading and discussing it. 

New User
storker
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since this is my first, First Look experience I have a question.  What did you mean by a "reading schedule".  The instructions and welcome didn't say anything about how to read the selection.  Is it not a good idea to read the entire book before the discussion gets started?

Contributor
C-c-a
0 Kudos

I found this book club when browsing the BN website. I am so happy to be a member and to have my first book in hand. I look forward to the discussion in January:smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Great question!

It's entirely up to you how you want to read the book. 

Some like to hew close to the discussion schedule that our moderator will soon post to the News, Schedules & Updates thread so that the story can unfold as they follow the discussion.  Some prefer to devour all at once, while making notes they can refer to when the discussion begins. 

It's entirely up to you and we will likely hear from many veterans on this matter!  But you will find what works for you.  Whatever you do, be sure to start posting about book when the discussion begins on January 5.

Thanks!

storker wrote:

Hi,

Since this is my first, First Look experience I have a question.  What did you mean by a "reading schedule".  The instructions and welcome didn't say anything about how to read the selection.  Is it not a good idea to read the entire book before the discussion gets started?

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!