Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Hi,

I may take you up on that offer...  Every time I log in it seems to take me forever to get to the discussion board.  Hopefully I'll get better with practice.

Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

I know, it is a little weird to reply to my own post, but I forgot to add that I am from Indiana.  Any other Hoosiers out there??

Jessica

Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

Hi, Karen,

I also recently finished The Thirteenth Tale and loved it!

Jessica

Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

I got the same "banned from buying more books" message from my husband! :smileyvery-happy:  I had to quickly read a few on my 'to be read' shelf so that I could fill in the gaps.  Ha, ha!

Jpock/Jessica

Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

It gets better girls...  I'm a WOW RN (weekend worker) with 3 kids and my youngest is now in first grade.  They grow up quickly, but I remember those days of not knowing whether I was coming or going between work and babies. :smileyhappy:

Jessica/jpock

Contributor
jpock
0 Kudos

Hi, AthenaLS,

I agree.  I don't dog-ear or write in my books either.  I just can't bring myself to do it.  I guess I'll have to use post-its to make notes for this  book club.  I didn't even use highlighters in college.  Too goody-two-shoes, I guess. :smileyhappy: I must have at some point had a teacher threaten me within an inch of my life about writing in books...

Jessica/jpock

Reader
emw314
0 Kudos

Hi all!  My name is Ellen and I am very excited to start this book, it looks great!

I am the person who chooses our books for our bookclub- so if I love it this might be one of our choices this year!

I live on Long Island in New York and I love to read 

Frequent Contributor
Dances_through_Books
0 Kudos

Happy Holidays everyone!  I am new to the Barnes and Noble First Look book club, and found out about it, while shopping online for Christmas presents. While shopping at barnesandnoble.com I, of course, bought books to feed my own reading addiction.

Daria, I agree with your comment on age.  I also belong to the age group of the characters in the book, which will make it fun and interesting to read. This isn't to say that others, in different age groups will not also have valid opinions and points on the material. I can't wait to start! I know this will be an eye opening experience, and will help me to continue to be exposed to other ideas and theories.

I'm looking forward to our discussion :womanvery-happy:

Contributor
AthenaLS
0 Kudos

I definitely had a teacher threaten me.  My Mother!  She was an English/History/Spanish Teacher until 3 yrs ago.  She's the one who got me into reading, and I do remember her telling me that we do NOT draw or write in books. :smileytongue:
jpock wrote:

Hi, AthenaLS,

I agree.  I don't dog-ear or write in my books either.  I just can't bring myself to do it.  I guess I'll have to use post-its to make notes for this  book club.  I didn't even use highlighters in college.  Too goody-two-shoes, I guess. :smileyhappy: I must have at some point had a teacher threaten me within an inch of my life about writing in books...

Jessica/jpock

~L.S.
"A house without books, is like a room without windows." H. Mann
New User
moharrell
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Marsha - really looking forward to reading Ms. Rakoff's book.  Sounds very interesting.

KxBurns wrote:

Welcome to the next First Look! I'm Karen and I'm delighted to be moderating this discussion of Joanna Smith Rakoff's A Fortunate Age.

Please introduce yourselves and get to know each other below.

Frequent Contributor
Chatterbox
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I'm Suzanne, a maniacal bibliomaniac in New York (well, technically, it's Brooklyn).

Looking forward to the discussion -- it will be interesting to see how this happens in cyber-space. (This is my debut in the First Look Book Club.)

Got my ARC around Thanksgiving, but have been saving it to read over the holidays.

Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

Hello! I am excited to participate in another First Look book discussion! I am beginning a MFA in creative writing program in January and I feel so lucky to be able to participate in these discussions. I am looking forward to reading this book. I am going to read it slowly so that I can participate more in discussions. I usually read a book in a day or two and I can't remember what chapter information was in and it really inhibits my discussions. I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday and I am really excited about the new year and everything that it will bring!!!
What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Marking in books...

Hmm...I really try to keep my books looking nice.  I do appreciate inscriptions from bookgivers though.  I love to collect old books...mainly eighteenth and nineteenth century school books...and the best thing is reading some of the comments that some long ago student has jotted down in the margins or the end pages.  It makes me wonder what ever happened to that person. 
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Contributor
kdenisse86
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi! My name is Karla, and I can't wait to read this book, and be able to actively participate in the discussion this time. I am from Laredo, TX, a History graduate student, 22  years old, and happily married to a 23 year-old biologist currently doing his graduate work in Microbiology. I hope to get to know everyone a little better as the discussion goes along.

Message Edited by kdenisse86 on 12-28-2008 01:55 PM
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~Walden, Henry David Thoreau.
Inspired Contributor
mattzay
0 Kudos

My name is Nancy and I have been really enjoying A Fortunate Age. I heard of the First Look Book Club through browsing through your website. I have tried several times to join and this is the first time I have been successful. I look forward to discussing the book with everyone.

Frequent Contributor
lamorgan
0 Kudos

Hello, everyone. I've participated in several First Look discussions and I'm definitely looking forward to "A Fortunate Age." I'll be starting to read the book today and I'm anxious for the discussions to begin! I know I'll recognize some of the regular participants and meet some new friends!
New User
kapc57
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Kathy from Western MA and I'm looking forward to this discussion.
Contributor
brezi
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, My name is Beth and I am 37 yrs old, living in Scottsdale, AZ. This is my second First Look book and I am excited to start discussing "A Fortunate Age." I just finished the book yesterday.
New User
debook
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Dee.  I just finished A Fortunate Age over the holidays and very much enjoyed it.  I have passed the book along to my daughter-in-law who is part of this generation.  I am looking forward to the discussion on Jan. 5. 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am reading the book now and can't wait to finish so i can pass it on to my daughter.

twj

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 976 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: