Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
sgregg88
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introductions

jpock wrote:

Hi, AthenaLS,

I agree.  I don't dog-ear or write in my books either.  I just can't bring myself to do it.  I guess I'll have to use post-its to make notes for this  book club.  I didn't even use highlighters in college.  Too goody-two-shoes, I guess. :smileyhappy: I must have at some point had a teacher threaten me within an inch of my life about writing in books...

Jessica/jpock

Hey Jessica,

I actually had a lit teacher who encouraged us at the beginning of the year to write in the book, with the condition that we would declare the book "lost" at the end of the year and pay for it. This way, all the work we had done all year would be in the book and would remain with us throughout our lives. It was the Norton Anthology of English Lit, so you can imagine the amount of notes I have in the margin. :smileyhappy:

New User
mathilda
0 Kudos

All right! I am ready and looking forward to Monday :smileywink:

Who would ever believe that one can look forward to a Monday morning?

And it's all because on Monday we start discussing "A fortunate Age".

I am excited to read everyone's opinions and add my own, this book had a lot to offer and I am so happy that I was picked to receive an ARC.

See you all on Monday!

Mathilda

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

I don't dog-ear my books, they are too special for that.  And I don't like it when I have loaned a book and it comes back with all sorts of the pages folded.  But other than that, I have dropped books in the pool, gotten crumbs in them, written in them, loved them. but never dog-ear! That being said, I would rather a book come back dog-eared then being sold in a yard sale by the person I loaned it to!! 
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

I agree, I had a better read but was less interested in the discussions when I read the book through before participating.

So now I tend to read per the schedule, at least for the first week or two. By that time, the "whole-book" threads have gotten so busy and my curiosity so piqued -- and the book has drawn me in -- that I usually finish it up quickly and catch up on all the threads.

Popper19 wrote:

I still haven't decided how I'm going to do it this time.  The first couple of books I read on the schedule, but then for the latter ones I read all at once.  I found it harder to participate when I read it all at once, but a more enjoyable reading experience (spoilers, etc).  I think I'm going to try to read with the schedule again this time, because I really didn't participate in the discussion much with the last few books. 

New User
kwiley
0 Kudos

My name is Karen W from NJ.  I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Way to go, Shelby!  I do tend to be a "neatnik" about my books, but I find your outlook quite refreshing.

Joan

Inspired Contributor
BDonnelly
0 Kudos

Hi - I'm Beth and this is my second time with the first look book discussion.  The first time through it was not a great experience because I had read the entire book by the start date and didn't really enjoy the book discussions in parts.  Hopefully, I will be better prepared this time around and enjoy it more.  I've seen no instructions for what we start with this time.  Does anyone else know?  Are we supposed to wait for the beginning of the discussion before we start to read?
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

BDonnelly wrote:
Hi - I'm Beth and this is my second time with the first look book discussion.  The first time through it was not a great experience because I had read the entire book by the start date and didn't really enjoy the book discussions in parts.  Hopefully, I will be better prepared this time around and enjoy it more.  I've seen no instructions for what we start with this time.  Does anyone else know?  Are we supposed to wait for the beginning of the discussion before we start to read?

I started reading this weekend, and Maria or Karen will post the subject threads tomorrow.  Check out News, Schedules, & Updates for the complete schedule, but here's what we will be discussing first:

January 5th:

- Chapters One through Five

- Beth

- Perpetual Adolescence

- The Zeitgeist of the Fortunate Age

Inspired Contributor
sgregg88
0 Kudos

Thank Joan! I should mention that when I borrow a book from a friend, I treat it better than my own... I can appreciate that many may not share my outlook...
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Good Morning.....Help!!!! I can't find the Board for A Fortunate Age discussion.Thanks Susan Newbie
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
bookclubclassics
0 Kudos

Hello!  I'm really looking forward to our discussion of A Fortunate Age this week!  I run the blog BookClubClassics.com and plan on posting my review of the novel Wednesday.  I've already written my own impressions, but I look forward to hearing others' too!

I live in the Twin Cities and teach English online -- let the discussion begin!!  :smileyvery-happy:

kgalles
www.bookclubclassics.com
Reader
ssmarshall
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Sydna.  This is my first time to join the First Look Book Club and am really looking forward to talking about this book!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Am I locked out of this discussion   A Fortunate Age???? As a new Member its not really user friendly...I have been working on computers for 20yrs..where do I go.from here....I was so looking forward to this discussion...will check back later on..If u are an administrator can u email me with instructions..Thanks so Much...Susan
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

We're thrilled about your enthusiasm, but please, no need for panic! 

The moderator will be posting new threads on this very board later today.  Since you are posting to this board, you are not locked out.

Looking forward to seeing you in the discussion!

Maria

Vermontcozy wrote:
Am I locked out of this discussion   A Fortunate Age???? As a new Member its not really user friendly...I have been working on computers for 20yrs..where do I go.from here....I was so looking forward to this discussion...will check back later on..If u are an administrator can u email me with instructions..Thanks so Much...Susan

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Tarri is right on!

Karen posted the thread schedule here a few weeks ago.  Please check there if you want to follow the schedule. 

Thanks!

Maria

BDonnelly wrote:

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

I love my books but I don't treat them like precious untouched things.  Because of my neatnik mom, I used to, but then when I went to college and had a lit professor who would encourage us to make notes in the books, it completely changed my view about how I want to treat my books.  So yes, they are all well-worn, dog-eared, marked-up, and well-loved.

PS: You should see the splatters on my cookbooks.

sgregg88 wrote: 

Hey Jessica,

I actually had a lit teacher who encouraged us at the beginning of the year to write in the book, with the condition that we would declare the book "lost" at the end of the year and pay for it. This way, all the work we had done all year would be in the book and would remain with us throughout our lives. It was the Norton Anthology of English Lit, so you can imagine the amount of notes I have in the margin. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
ccshealy
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Carissa.  I'm a graduate student (majoring in English literature) and an aspiring author.  I'm looking forward to the book & the book club!
Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

Hi My name is June. I just completed reading A fortunate age. I thought this was a good book for her first published novel. I hope she will be writing more in the future. I would like to ask who inspired her to become a writer. Also who are some of her favorite writers. I hope I on the right thread for the discussion.
Inspired Contributor
mapleann
0 Kudos

I am ready for the discussion to start today. The schools are closed here due to -55 temp outside, schools close at -50. Sadly, it looks like I may have another couple of days off work.

Maple

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Maple-  My goodness, where are you that  you are -55 ?!   Is that wind chill temp?
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/