Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
sam608
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Good morning everyone.  I'm new to this book club and already I'm behind!  I just started reading last night and have only the first chapter read.  But I can say I'm enjoying it so far. Hopefully I can catch up.

It's 15 degrees here in Utah and I thought that was cold.  -55!  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, and happy New Year! I'm happy to see that you're all so eager to get started. This week's threads are now posted!

To answer Eileen's terrific question, I think I am somewhere in the middle. Most of my books tend to be gently-worn but I do love the cracks in the spines of frequently re-read favorites or books that have accompanied me on travels and are slightly battered as a result. And I love seeing notations that others have made in books. Of course, any book I'm reading for school or work gets incredibly marked up!    

New User
BookinBabe
0 Kudos

Happy New Year, All!

I'm Nan and I'm also looking forward to the discussion of "A Fortunate Age".

It should be interesting to see how it evolves.

Catch you later!

Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Hey everyone....I am excited about this book!  I started reading over the holiday but then got too busy with holiday stuff.  So, I started over last night and really like it!  I think this one might be the best one yet.....

I look forward to talking all about the book over the next few weeks.

Susan

New User
Hope52
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

My name is Hope, and this is my first attempt at a book club, not because I haven't wanted to be part of one, but because we just can't seem to get one together in my area.  I am very excited to be part of this!

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Katie from Charlottesville, Virginia. Sorry for the delayed intro, but it was the busiest Nov/Dec I could remember. I'm looking forward to the discussion.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:
Hi, I'm Katie from Charlottesville, Virginia. Sorry for the delayed intro, but it was the busiest Nov/Dec I could remember. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Hi Katie from Charlottesville, Va. I am about a hour away from you in Lynchburg,Va. Happy reading to us all.  Linda
New User
cagraham
0 Kudos

Hi all!! I'm Carla.  Almost finished with the book....
New User
booksandletters
0 Kudos

Hi,  First Look members!  I am very late signing in, sorry I am completely new at this.

My name is Alicia, I am already in Chapter 8 of this book.

I look forward to joining the discussion.

Reader
Lorisea1
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Lori from Worcester, Mass.

I have just begun this book and am looking forward to reading comments from the author and fellow readers.

Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

sam608 wrote:

Good morning everyone.  I'm new to this book club and already I'm behind!  I just started reading last night and have only the first chapter read.  But I can say I'm enjoying it so far. Hopefully I can catch up.

It's 15 degrees here in Utah and I thought that was cold.  -55!  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm from Utah too Sam. It has been very cold huh? I'm from Southern Utah.

But I'm behind as well. I'm JUST about done with chapter five. Been busy with school work, and helping out my parents. I'll be on later tonight to write my opionion on it all so far, just have to finish reading the chapter. haha. 

~Lexi-Bear
Xan
Contributor
Xan
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm Xan and very late with my introduction.  I've almost finished the book and I love it.  This is my first First Look book and I'm really excited about all of your comments and thoughts on the book.

Xan
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Welcome to those who are just joining us. Don't worry -- we're just getting started! Jump on in...
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hi all! I'm off to a late start but I'm looking forward to this club. I'm doing two here this month and I'm not very organized. I'm Debbie from NY state and I've done all of the First Look clubs. I haven't read very far in this book yet but it sounds good already.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hi Miss Deb, how is it going? Are you still a busy bee flying around? 

Wrighty wrote:
Hi all! I'm off to a late start but I'm looking forward to this club. I'm doing two here this month and I'm not very organized. I'm Debbie from NY state and I've done all of the First Look clubs. I haven't read very far in this book yet but it sounds good already.

Frequent Contributor
julyso
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi! My name is Julie and I am a junior high school librarian in Texas. I have participated in reading several of the First Look Book Club selections. The House at Riverton was one of my favorites, I also enjoyed The Monsters of Templeton. I have read the first 5 chapters of A Fortunate Age, not sure if I am going to like this one or not...
Message Edited by julyso on 01-11-2009 12:21 AM
Julie
Reader
DonnaMom1
0 Kudos

This is Donna from St. Louis. I have read the first two chapters of the novel and am now faced with a problem. I don't care for it. I don't identify with the characters or the plot and don't enjoy the writing style. Now I have to decide if I want to continue reading a book I can't "get into" or just file it away on my bookshelf. Is there anyone else out there who isn't a fan of A Fortunate Age either?

Frequent Contributor
julyso
0 Kudos

DonnaMom1 wrote:

This is Donna from St. Louis. I have read the first two chapters of the novel and am now faced with a problem. I don't care for it. I don't identify with the characters or the plot and don't enjoy the writing style. Now I have to decide if I want to continue reading a book I can't "get into" or just file it away on my bookshelf. Is there anyone else out there who isn't a fan of A Fortunate Age either?

DonnaMom1,

I am not a big fan either, but I am still hanging on, hoping it gets better. I am now on chapter 8...if it wasn't for it being a First Look book, I think I would have given up on it back in chapter 2 or so! I enjoy the discussions & reading everyone's opinions. Good luck:smileyindifferent:

Julie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

DonnaMom1 wrote:

Hi Donna from another St. Louisian (well St. Charlesian really),
sorry you're not into the book, but that's what I think First Look is all about, the author as well as all of us members read these works and discuss it and I think it gives the author an idea of what to expect when the novel gets out onto the shelves. So brave through it and tell us why you didn't like it.

sjj
Contributor
sjj
0 Kudos

Hi all - my name is Stephanie and I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.  I have completed the book and enjoyed it...though, it was an interesting ride.