Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Hi everyone,

This is my fifth or sixth (I've lost count, how many have there been?) First Look book and it sounds like it will be a great read.   I am Tarri and live in Washington state.  I am retired, although if the perfect job was to fall anywhere in my area, I'd jump at the opportunity. 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine.  I have been a regular on the B&N book discussion boards for years, but this is only the second time I have participated in First Look.  You can read more about me in my profile.

Talk to you all in January! 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Contributor
onyx9
0 Kudos

Hey Nan, I think you are asking me...  I am just outside of Muskogee.  I have done a book club on another web site, but this is my first time here. I am looking forward to seeing how it works here.

-Debbie

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Hey all,

My comfirmation PM appeared in my box today so I'll be joining you in January.  In the meantime everyone can come read the first half of The Mysteries of Udolpho in the Literature by Women group with me :smileytongue:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
lc_dakr810lire
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Laura.  This is my first time with First Look.  I'm really looking forward to enjoying this experience.  Nice to meet all of you.
We read to know we are not alone.
- C.S. Lewis
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Hi!

I'm Amanda, I've been a part of each First Look since the beginning.  However, I missed the last one (the double book offering) because my account wasn't set up properly when B&N switched over.  ~pout~

So, I was so thrilled to get back in.

I can't wait to get my book and chat with everyone about it.

Cheers,

Amanda

Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm delighted to be back with First Look. I think this book looks so interesting I can't wait to get started!! Also great to have Karen as moderator. She's always excellent.

We're having a hard winter here in Pennsylvania so far. Gives me lots of time to read -- avoiding the snow!!

Nancy

Frequent Contributor
GrammiT
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Susan & I live in Fairview Heights, IL. This is my third First Look book. I really enjoyed the last one, "The Mighty Queens of Freeville", and am looking forward to this book. Happy reading, everyone!:smileyhappy:
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Hey Y'all, I am Dawn from TN.This will be my 5th First Look. It's always exciting to me to be able to not only preview books before publication, but also be a part of such intelligent, lively discussions. My past experience in the book clubs have been very positive and I am always impressed by the diversity of opinion and personality of those involved. Thanks B & N for making this possible for us all. Can't wait to get started. Sounds like a fun diversion for the cold weeks ahead!
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm IBIS, and I've enjoyed several First Look books... what a wonderful privilege to share in these discussions.

I was gripped with the first sentence of Maria's introduction to "A Fortunate Age".

It brought back memories. I read Mary McCarthy's "The Group" in the late 70s when I was 13. It was recommended by my 13-year old classmate who was much more mature, and obviously, better-read than I was.

I can still remember the culture shock, the deliciousness of reading what my old-country parents would have labelled 'forbidden"... to read about liberated, college-age women...

Imagine my 13-year-old shock when I learned about family planning clinics and the usefulness of diaphragms. It was amazing education... who knew!

IBIS 

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
LA-Rose
0 Kudos

Introduction

Hello All,

My name is L.A. Rose, and I have only just discovered the wonder of B&N's First Look Book Club. I look forward to reading A Fortunate Age. If there is one thing that I enjoy more than reading, it is writing!

"If you are forgotten, it is as if you have never lived. So, you must make yourself remembered: write a legacy." -L.A. Rose
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hi Lussie,

Start here for detailed instructions, and if you don't find what you need shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help get you sorted out  :smileyhappy:

Karen

KxBurns
0 Kudos

fictionhound wrote:
i haven't gotten a confirm yet to be in the dicussion, but i was wondering if we could have a thread going from the beginning for those of us that will have completed the book before the online discussion starts??? i tend to read a book in one day & i don't won't to goof & reveal stuff that happens later in the book. thanks & i sure hope that i get in this one. thanks.

Sorry fictionhound, but we don't allow any discussion of the book on the boards prior to the official start date of January 5th (that includes the Community Room thread). We want to make sure that the board remains a safe, spoiler-free place for everyone to hang out without fear of inadvertantly stumbling on info about the book before they've finished it.

But once the discussion starts, there will be threads where the entire book is fair game, right from the beginning, for those of you who like to read quickly. Stay tuned for the reading/discussion schedule, which I'll be posting mid-December!

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving! I am thrilled to see such enthusiasm for the book and discussion.

Karen

New User
teachdway
0 Kudos

I'm new to this, but I thought it was a grand way to start December and end the year.  I am a 57, have two sons 20 & 24, love to read, and have been in education for 36 years.  I read all sorts of things, but mostly journals on education:  curriculum, gifted & talented, & teachnology, and hardcover murder mysteries.....
New User
teachdway
0 Kudos

I'm looking forward to joining this First Look group.  This is my first visit, and I am very excited about the opportunity.
Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

Hi All!

I am Claudia.  I teach 7th grade reading / literature in a small Northwestern Georgia town.  This is my 5th First Look.  I didn't get to participate in the last First Look The Believers due to illness, but am very excited about this book!  Of course, I am always reading more than one book - the one my class is reading, the one I am reading for pleasure, the one I am reading as a "have to" for school, and the kid lit that I am forever trying to catch up on for my reading competition team!  I look forward to the lively discussions that I always encounter during First Looks while we read A Fortunate Age !!

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Hey, all.  

I'm Chana, from Haifa on the northern coast of Israel.   This is my second First Look Book Club, and I'm really looking forward to the discussions.

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

EbonyAngel wrote:
This is Ebony Angel in North St. Louis County, MO.  Got my confirmation and I can't wait.
HI Angel, it's your old friend from St. Charles. Nice to see familiar names along with new ones.

Godd to see you in here too!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

GrammiT wrote:
Hi, my name is Susan & I live in Fairview Heights, IL. This is my third First Look book. I really enjoyed the last one, "The Mighty Queens of Freeville", and am looking forward to this book. Happy reading, everyone!:smileyhappy:
Hi Susan, we're neighbors, I'm from St. Charles County and there are a few more locals on this club. Welcome I know you'll love it.