Frequent Contributor
Annette94
0 Kudos

Re: Before I Fall, Chapters 5 & 6:

In what ways does Sam try to change her February 12th in these chapters?Which changes do you applaud, and which do you think are ill-considered?

She trys to change it for the worst. I think some changes that were stupid was the scene with the teacher. It was a stupid descion that completely changed her mind on the teacher. Also, one part that I did like was when she stood up to Lindsay, which is something that no one in the group had that guts to say.

What are Sam's "good deeds" toward Juliet, and what is Juliet's reaction?

Sam trys to save Juliet's life, but for purely selfish reasons and Juliet doesn't want her life saved.

What does Sam learn about herself from Juliet?

She realizes what a bitch she has been.

What does Sam learn about herself from Kent? Is her relationship with Kent growing in this brief span of repeating time?

She learns who she really is from Kent. And she is falling in love with him <3

Is Sam coming into her own in these chapters? If so, how? If not, what do you hope to see from her in the final chapter?

I hope to see from her as a completely changed person and with Kent.

Is it possible for Sam to make the changes she needs to make in a single day?

No, it's not. Time is not really on her side and 24 hours is not nearly enough time for her to change and take back all of her previous mistakes.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Excellent points! You've picked out some great details. Some of them I didn't even notice until you mentioned them. I also wondered which of Sam's Feb. 12th were really her last day. I hope it was the one that helped the most people. I would hate for it to be the first one.

jb70 wrote:

I kept notes while I was reading because I got ahead of schedule.  These are thoughts I had on chapter 5 while reading:  I thought it was ironic that Juliet lived on Serenity Place and from the size of her house it sounded like her family had money which often seemed tied to the popularity of these characters.  Should Juliet really have had Sam's place in the group?  I also wondered which one of the last days was her real last day- is it the last one she has or could it have been any of the others as well?  Was the accident caused by Juliet stepping into the road or the fight for the Ipod or does her stepping into the road all get traced back to Lindsay and her groups treatment for all those years of Juliet- kind of the whole chicken and the egg thing.  Since Kent vowed that he would be her "hero" has he now fulfilled his vow?  How would Sam's life have differed if she had stayed away from the in crowd.  It was nice to see her recognizing how stupid and annoying everyone was while they were drunk, for teens I think it would be good to see for themselves how while they think they are witty and cool it is really quite the opposite (maybe even eye opening for some adults!)  Is there any way Sam can stop Juliet.  How could she undo years of accumulated acts in a day or is it like sun damage, where if you stop the damaging activity you can start to repair the skin so Juliet could start to repair herself.

Chapter 6 thoughts:

Start to realize how important little overlooked things are or can be.  There were all those guidance posters in the office and a real need for guidance for Sam as well as many other students.  On page 350 when she is looking at the notes for the roses it starts to mean something about how important words can be also Gullet's rose had not bloomed just like she had not bloomed yet.  I was so glad that she recognized, or started to recognize Kent as genuine and read.  Some of the changes were that Sarah go the spot, she starts trying to reverse the Katie rumors, decides not to give Rob a rose and no more mean note for Juliet.  On page 362 she starts to wonder what the point is, why does she have to relive this day?  I really wanted her to confide in Kent either about her death or that she likes him.  I wondered how much she is changing.  High school was like swimming with piranhas.  When she tells Brianna about Alex is she fixing anything or would it have been fixed in its own time anyway- could he really have sustained the lie and cheating indefinitely or was it just a matter of time?  Can people really change in a day (page 385). On page 394 she talks about people drowning by going the wrong way- is she going the wrong way and why is Lindsay so afraid that people will see through her?

Contributor
Mel-hefollowedme
0 Kudos

Which changes do you applaud, and which do you think are ill-considered?

I love how she altered the roses, all with good intentions even though assumed otherwise. I do wonder about Kent & how this will affect him.  He finally got the opportunity to return the favor & save her, yet he's been pining for her for yrs, gets to kiss her & bang, she's gone the next day :smileysad: 

Poor Juliet has been bugged for so long, she can't help but assume Sam's actions are not.

What does Sam learn about herself from Juliet?

Sam see's how nasty she has been for no reason, how lucky her homelife is, how the whole reasoning behind Juliet's teasing was similar to her own way back when. 

What does Sam learn about herself from Kent?

She realizes she can be herself & still be a great person with great friends that love her. All this pretending, following wasn't necessary.

Is her relationship with Kent growing in this brief span of repeating time?

For her, it's growing, for him it's staying the same. Sam's seeing him in a whole new light, he's always had a thing for her.

Not at all, which is why we see this change over multiple days. I love how we get to see a piece of the puzzle unveiled a bit at a time.

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama

The day Sam spent with Izzy was just wonderful. It was a delight to read. But how sad that Izzy won't remember it ever happened.

It was smart of her in Chapter 6 to get Linday's car keys. At least her friends won't be involved in an accident, and Elody won't be killed. Unfortunately, she doesn't realize that Juliet is determined to kill herself no matter what.

Sending Juliet the bouquet of roses is a good idea on its surface, and Sam really is trying to do something nice. It just didn't occur to her how Juliet might see it. I think that in the end she does believe Sam, but she's beyond caring.

The part where Juliet tells Sam what really happened is so powerful. Sam realizes how your entire world could change in an instant. I think she also feels somewhat guilty for taking Juliet's place in Lindsay's life, but at the same time, she probably wouldn't trade her popularity and go back to her old life.

I think Kent knows who Sam really is deep down inside, past her polished surface. Heck, I'm in love with Kent!

Sam is coming into her own and rediscovering kindness. She's starting to see people for what they really are.

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

In what ways does Sam try to change her February 12th in these chapters?  Which changes do you applaud, and which do you think are ill-considered?

I basicly applaud all the changes Sam did, they may have seemed self centered in the 5th chapter but it seems that in the end of this chapter she realized maybe she had been seeing everything from the wrong angle , an angle which Sam never considered and that was indeed dying. She realizes this at the end of the chapter which makes her see that everything she has also done in that day was in vain because she did not accomplish what needed to be accomplish this was like the preintroduction in order to give a logic to what is going to happen in chapter 6. In chapter 6 Sam tries to do everything in a nicer way in order to save herself she seems to think that by doing good deeds she will save hersel and that is the way to go which is why this day she tries to make everything bad turn good and make good changes.

What are Sam's "good deeds" toward Juliet, and what is Juliet's reaction? What does Sam learn about herself from Juliet?

In the 5th day Sam tries to be nice and sends her a flower bouquet,  however when she talks to Juliet she realizes everything was misinterpreted, which is why on the 6th day she tries to be a much more nicer person and acts thinking about how will Juliet take it.

What does Sam learn about herself from Kent? Is her relationship with Kent growing in this brief span of repeating time?

She learns from Kent to enjoy things and to enjoy those little moments that go through life and that sometimes because of a certain situation or because you take everything for granted that you stop enjoying the smallest things of life which is why Kent shows Sam to enjoy every moment, to enjoy everything and to never give even if a small thing for granted, to enjoy for being here every day and in every situation. And even after that Kent makes Sam realize that it does not matter to get to meet new people and to hang out with them , and that she must not let her friends influence her decisions and to decide to be whoever she was.

Is Sam coming into her own in these chapters? If so, how? If not, what do you hope to see from her in the final chapter?

Sam is beginning to get to know herself, I am expecting for Sam to make all the changes even if it means changing her friends and breaking up with her boyfriend , it does not matter she will learn that sometimes in certain situations radical changes are needed in order to make a change.

I believe that Sam will grow a pair and will start makin the changes because I believe in the 7th day she will be against a deadline and she will need to act fast enought in order for all her experience to empty and go into all the changes it will be like a flush in which she will do all the things she has learned through the week,  which is why I believe she will do everything she needs to do when the time comes.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Frequent Contributor
sarah_in_ca
0 Kudos

From Kent Sam learns that she has made quite an impression on others, including himself, even when younger.  Sam realizes that she instintively stands up to the bullying of others, even though in her later years in highschool, she repressed it to fit in with Lindsay, and actually became one of the bullies.  Her relationship with Kent grows during the 7 days of repeated time because she's aware of his presence now, whereas before, she shut it down.

I think it's possible for Sam to make the changes necessary, but the changes themselves depend on circumstances that change and alter as she goes thru the last days.  Sam is focused, really focused.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

In Chapter 5, Sam's way of changing the outcome of the day is to avoid school and the party altogether. In the process, she makes an effort to be nicer to her family. Her mom is allowed into her room when Sam tells her she breaks up with Rob and Sam lets Izzy stay home with her and they spend the day together. Sam even shows Izzy her secret spot and ends up having dinner out with her family which is something she hasn't done for awhile. At dinner, she sees Juliet's sister and is determined to make sure Juliet stays safe.

In Chapter 6, Sam is still trying to her best to be extra nice to her family. She hugs both her parents before leaving for school that day. She erases what Lindsay wrote about Katie Carjullo from the bathroom doors. She more or less breaks up with Rob and she finds Juliet and gets to hear her side of the story. Her main goal in this chapter is to prevent Juliet from throwing herself in front of Lindsay's car.

Sam tries to do a good deed for Juliet by sending her a bouquet of flowers on Cupid Day, but Juliet thinks it's just another joke the girls are trying to play on her. When Sam is listening to Juliet remind her of everything her and her friends have done, Sam seems surprised Juliet remembers all of this, while Sam herself has forgotten doing some it. It was hard for Sam to hear Juliet name off things like stealing her clothes from the gym locker room, taking pictures of her while showering and posting them in the school, saying she lost her virginity for a pack of cigarettes. In fact, it was hard for me to read how horrible Sam has acted in the past.

I think Sam is finally realizing she can be herself and her friends will still like her. Although they seem to find it odd that Sam is now being friendly with Kent, they don't say anything about it. Sam seems like she cares less about people's opinions of her in these chapters too.

I'm not sure if Sam can make all the changes she needs to in just one day. It seems like a tall order to fill. I hope she is able to, but it just feels like there is so much to do in so little time.

April
Contributor
mysticveil

In what ways does Sam try to change her February 12th in these chapters?  I really like when Sam chooses to spend the day with Izzy, really big sister little sister time together. She tries to appreciate alot of the things that are important in her life that she has been taking for granted

Which changes do you applaud, and which do you think are ill-considered? I think that the fact that she connects more with her family,  with Kent, and how she tries to save Juliett are really positive changes . Although, I think that in focusing on trying to save Juliett to change the path of her own fate, she forgets that her friends were in the car crash as well and she didn't change any of that. They will still crash.

Sam invades the 'rose room' to make sure that Juliett gets more roses than Lindsay but by doing that, put Juliett more on guard because it is not really believable. Juliett knows she doesn't have any friends who are going to send her roses so she figures that is was one last dig from Lindsay and her gang. While Sam's intentions were in the right place, they didn't have the right result and they were not for the right reason. Sam is still trying to change things so that she can live. She is making the good changes for a selfish reason.

What does Sam learn about herself from Juliet? I think that Sam finally starts to see that she and her friends thoughtless mean actions really damaged someone who really didn't deserve it. She sees how their actions really shaped the life of someone and how much and how  deeply it hurts. Sam didn't even remember some of the things that they did and she got to see that Juliett relived every painful attack constantly. I think that Sam also finally sees how dangerous it is to 'follow the crowd' especially when you do things and you don't know why.

What does Sam learn about herself from Kent?

I think that Sam is finally learning that all the 'changes' she made to fit in and be popular are not what life is about. Kent accepted her for who she was before and still likes her for that. That she 'doesn't need fixing'.

Is her relationship with Kent growing in this brief span of repeating time?   Definitely growing as Sam comes to be more of who she really is !

Is Sam coming into her own in these chapters? I think that Sam is finally learning that it is okay to be Sam. I think she understands from some of the things she learned from Juliett and  Kent that it is better to be who you are rather than sacrifice that to be popular and hurt others. 

Is it possible for Sam to make the changes she needs to make in a single day? I don't think she can make all the changes she needs to make in one day and learn all the lessons that she needed to. However, living that same day over and over again, she is learning a lifetime of lessons. Sometimes it helps to have 'replay' to help us grow and do things better, realizing how every decision and action we make may effect someone else negatively or positively.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

aprilh wrote:
Sam tries to do a good deed for Juliet by sending her a bouquet of flowers on Cupid Day, but Juliet thinks it's just another joke the girls are trying to play on her. When Sam is listening to Juliet remind her of everything her and her friends have done, Sam seems surprised Juliet remembers all of this, while Sam herself has forgotten doing some it. It was hard for Sam to hear Juliet name off things like stealing her clothes from the gym locker room, taking pictures of her while showering and posting them in the school, saying she lost her virginity for a pack of cigarettes. In fact, it was hard for me to read how horrible Sam has acted in the past.

I agree with you April. It was hard to read about Sam's cruel behavior from the past. By chapters 5 & 6 I was really starting to like her and the changes she was making. When Juliet brings up the horrible things she had done to her it was a quick reminder that the girls had been acting this way for far too long. She has a lot of things to make up for.

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

What are Sam's "good deeds" toward Juliet, and what is Juliet's reaction? What does Sam learn about herself from Juliet? Sam tries to befriend Juliet first with the roses and Juliet sees this as more harassment.  She learns that she has been more of a follower than a leader and that she has been treating Juliet just like she was treated as a younger girl.

What does Sam learn about herself from Kent? Is her relationship with Kent growing in this brief span of repeating time?  Kent has always wanted to be a friend or more to Sam, but she is now beginning to realize that he is true -not  tenuous like the people in the popular crowd.

Is it possible for Sam to make the changes she needs to make in a single day?  A lot of us have good intentions to make changes that will improve our character or well-being, but sticking to those intentions takes more than a day to see if we can accomplish them.

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Contributor
lizabet1196
0 Kudos

What are Sam's "good deeds" toward Juliet, and what is Juliet's reaction? What does Sam learn about herself from Juliet?She trys to make it up to Juliet with the roses and such.  But really just making sure the mean rose doesn't get to her would've been the most appropriate thing for Sam to do.

What does Sam learn about herself from Kent? Is her relationship with Kent growing in this brief span of repeating time?Yes her relationship is growing.  I think she is seeing who she should have become before Lindsay came into her life.

Is Sam coming into her own in these chapters? YesIf so, how? If not, what do you hope to see from her in the final chapter? I believe she becoming the girl she wants to be.

Is it possible for Sam to make the changes she needs to make in a single day?  No

Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

Sam starts to be an actual part of her family.  She wants to actually have dinners, spend time with her sister, tell her parents she loves them and have an actual relationship with them instead of just living there.  She wants to be a part of her family.  I think all those changes are good but they aren't going to help her finally end the whole valentine's day thing.  None of her changes really have anything to do with her relationship with her family.  It's more her relationship with the people at school that's what is really important.  She treats everyone like she's better than them and she ends up hurting a lot of people along the way.

She sends a lot of roses to Juliet from a secret admirer.  Juliet thinks she's playing a joke on her.

She's learning that Kent has liked her for a long time.  She's learned that he cares for her for who she is and not because of her popularity.  Her relationship does grow but then the next day she wakes up to relive the day and she has to start all over again.

She is slowly beginning to realize all her mistakes she's made and how she acted towards her classmates.  She's learned that her actions have consequences.

I don't think it is.  This problem developed over a long period of time and would take more than a day to solve.

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Reader
bookharlot
0 Kudos

In what ways does Sam try to change her February 12th in these chapters?  Which changes do you applaud, and which do you think are ill-considered?  In chapter 5, she tries to create her perfect day by spending quality time with her little sister and her family.  In chapter 6, she decides to save not only her own life, but Juliet's as well.

What are Sam's "good deeds" toward Juliet, and what is Juliet's reaction? What does Sam learn about herself from Juliet?  Sam goes to Juliet's house to try to talk her out of committing suicide.  She chases Juliet into the woods and tries to talk to her about why she wants to die, then witnesses Juliet throw herself in front of the car with Lindsay, Elody and Ally inside.  In chapter 6, Sam sends a bouquet of roses to Juliet to try to make up for the mean messages they've sent in years past.  When Juliet confronts Sam about all the horrible things she's done over the years, it forces Sam to look at herself and see what kind of person would do those horrible things to another person.

What does Sam learn about herself from Kent? Is her relationship with Kent growing in this brief span of repeating time?  While learning the worst of herself from Juliet, Kent brings out the best parts of Sam, showing Sam her strengths.  

Is Sam coming into her own in these chapters? If so, how? If not, what do you hope to see from her in the final chapter?  I feel like Sam is starting to come into her own.  She seems more comfortable in her skin, able to stand up against her friends to do what she thinks is right.  She's reaching out to people not in her group and also opening herself up to new people.

Is it possible for Sam to make the changes she needs to make in a single day?  I'd like to think so, the book is almost over...

Inspired Contributor
dragonfly_yayn
0 Kudos

This would be the type of day that I would think most people would have the reaction of.  Trying to enjoy everything that means something to her & do the things that she would have liked to do or now realizes is more important to do.  It was at this point I saw the glimpse of growth for Sam & started to like her more as a person instead of feeling sorry for her for being a follower or disliking her for being a stuck up popular snob.

Her "good deed" toward Juliet was so well meant but not really thought through to remember the torment that her "group of friends" had caused Juliet, therefore she could not have foreseen Juliet's reaction.

Through Kent, Sam is starting to see the real Sam that others used to see & remember.  She is also getting to see Kent for who he really is & not the popularity (or lack of) view of him.  This makes her appreciate him more.

Sam is discover herself with room to grow.