Inspired Contributor
suzebomb54

Re: Before I Fall, Early Chapters, 1-2

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

In my opinion, Sam does not have a very strong personality and is a follower, even when she knows what others are doing is wrong. She has a little sister that adores her. She really doesn’t like some of the things her ‘friends’ do but she wants to be one of the popular kids so she goes along. If she was strong, she could/would stand up to them when they are hurting people in school.

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?

She fits in with this crowd because she goes along with them. But by knowing her thoughts, we understand that she does not like a lot of what her friend do but the draw to be ‘popular’ since she at one time was not, is so strong that she does what they do.

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?

I am not familiar with the song itself, so I will just discuss this from the aspect of just the title of the song ‘No More Drama’. I think that Lindsay’s whole life is all centered on drama, in her life and everyone’s around her. If there is not drama, she will do something to make it happen; she seems to thrive on it. I don’t think she even realizes that she is the cause of the drama going on around her but she is always ‘starting something’.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

She is a good person that does not forget old friends and feels loyalty towards them. I don’t think she would be estranged from Kent if she did not have the group of friends that she has. He is ‘not cool enough’ so she has to pretend that she does not like him, which I think is very common among teenagers. But she is upset when he does not notice her so you can feel that she still cares for him, in some manner.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?

I really think the one true friend that Sam has is Kent. They have known each other since they were very little and were very close then, close enough to share a first kiss. The friendship started falling apart when Sam became part of the popular crowd. Kent still likes her and wants to be her friend. He would still be there for her and would listen to her and be there for her. She thinks about telling all three of her so-called friends but for one reason or another, she hesitated talking to them.

"So many books, so little time"

Susan
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

jabrkeKB wrote:

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

So here's a question - which is worse, the inherent mean girl (aka Lindsey), or the person who goes along with all of it knowing it's bad behavior, just to be popular (aka Sam)?

Good question, but here's another, what makes someone "inherently" mean? All these girls know their behavior is bad, they just rationalize it differently.

I have a feeling (not a spoiler I am keeping with the schedule) that Lindsay has something hidden that she compensates for by being mean.  I think she is trying to deflect any teasing she might encounter by being the first one to tease, being on the offense is easier than being on the defense.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Contributor
remEMbral

What kind of person is Sam? I think deep down Sam really is a good person who just fell into the wrong crowd. We kind of see who she used to be and the things she used to like and how the pressures of high school changed her but i think eventually she will realize that she has changed and is not very nice.

Does Sam really fit in? - I don't think she really fits in. She may have the so called "perfect" boyfriend and popular friends but i don't think she really belongs in that crowd. Her previous friendship with Kent kind of shows that she used to fit into different crowds.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

Huh, I guess I'm the bad person for not feeling sorry for Sam and her clique and saying that they do not have any redeemable qualities. I guess I'll be the Devil's Advocate for BIF.
You are not a bad person. We are all entitled to different opinions. You may have different life experiences which have formed your opinions.
I find it fascinating that so many are determined to not condone the actions of Sam and her friends and I wonder if that tune will change as we get deeper into the novel (I'm only in chapter 4 so I haven't gone that far ahead). I do believe that people can change but I also know that a lot of times it doesn't happen.
As I read on and learn more about the characters, I am questioning my former judgment. I might have a change of heart but I don't think I would be glad she was dead, or be glad anyone was dead for that matter...hmmm, maybe some people. but not any of the characters in this book.
Do "mean girls" mature and grow up into good people who are an asset to society? It can happen, but it seems like "mean girls" who are actually mean (like Lindsey), not just going along with it to be popular (like Sam), don't change. They become the mean sorority girl in college, and then the person in the office whom everyone hates because they are so evil and nasty to everyone.
i did have an experience with a "mean" girl in high school and when we met later in life, she was still a "mean" girl. Funny, it still hurt me when she was rude but I didn't care as much anymore. I felt sorry for her because she was missing out on knowing me better! :smileywink:
So here's a question - which is worse, the inherent mean girl (aka Lindsey), or the person who goes along with all of it knowing it's bad behavior, just to be popular (aka Sam)?

good question...i think both are equal. when my son observed someone getting a beating and did nothing, i insisted he be punished the same way as those that did the beating. if you don't stop bad things from happening then you are doing something bad too. i guess it also depends on the degree of the "evil".

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

In one of the posts, your mention of Hitler was considered overblown. Now that I reread your post, I think I understand what you were trying to impart. I don't think you were comparing the girls to Hitler, but rather you were trying to say that accepting inappropriate behavior often leads to more inappropriate behavior, in sort of a domino effect, until it gets out of control.
I do not think having uninvolved parents is the only cause of the taunting that some teens engage in to make themselves feel important. Some of it is simply teens being teens. Some of it is a result of the media barage they are exposed to with tv, movies, even advertisements. All envelopes are being pushed to their limits.
It is when it gets out of hand that I think that the schools need to be more proactive since, at first, most of this behavior begins and ends during the school day. Once it extends outside, it is often too late to stop it. Twitter, Facebook and other forms of instant soundbites have become cruel extensions of their behavior.
When is it appropriate to ignore behavior that hurts others? Is it ever appropriate? If we don't step in to stop it, does it make us complicit?
I have the feeling that you may have had some pretty nasty experiences in your high school days and I am sorry if you did.

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

CharminKB wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out!  While I do not approve of any person being "mean" to another - - these are teens!!  Does that make it ok? Of course not, but they think on a different level.  It doesn't occur to these girls to be nice to people just like it doesn't occur to the Julie Sykes group to stand up for themselves!  They are playing the cards they are dealt.  Those of us who are older can look back and see mistakes we made or how we wish we could have done things differently---but we didn't know then what we know now.... 

High school is tough for everyone - I think this book does a great job of showing how all kids of that age have struggles - - no matter what their social status.  No one is perfect.

While, yes I would agree that these characters are typical American teenagers I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Juliet's and Kent's could join forces and stand up for themselves. This is a slight stretch and is definitely controversial... but bear with me. American high school (I keep saying American since that's where the story takes place and what most of us experienced... other cultures have the same issues but every place is slightly different when it comes to social customs and mores) is very much like Europe under Hitler. When it all started out, before Hitler truly got the ball rolling and a full German army behind him, why didn't the people he was persecuting band together and stop him? Why did citizens who KNEW what was happening not step in and do something about it? Mob mentality is why... the Juliet's and Kent's are being socially persecuted but they realize their place in the food chain and therefore it leaves them paralyzed to do anything about it since everyone within that society (ie a certain high school) has accepted the fact that a certain sect of students are the popular crowd and therefore they rule the school, especially because those with a foot in each camp keep their heads down and will not stick up for those being hurt. Because on some level society dictates that that is how it should be, right or wrong, how many books/movies/TV shows can you recall that focus on the unpopular kid praying they one day will wake up, go to school, and be part of the popular crowd?

But what makes it worse is that this is so ingrained in society that even when the popular kids really overstep the boundaries of school hazings they are STILL untouchable. Recently in New England a teen suicide made news, for the fact that Phoebe took her life, but more because those girls who relentlessly teased her and drove her to her thinking it would be best for her to not live at all rather than continue being tormented by them, are not being held accountable... nor do THEY feel as if they were in the wrong. Here's an article about it. Sure, life is pain and high school is supposed to be cruel... but there's a limit and we seem to be steamrolling past harmless teasing into causing severe psychological pain in young, impressionable minds.

I think it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Like I keep saying, a lack of involved parents has raised a whole new breed of teenager... and that's not a good thing.

I'm not saying CharminKB that you were saying it's ok... more that your comment sent my mind to what I've just typed out.

Frequent Contributor
CharminKB

A response to one of my earlier posts compared American high school to Nazi Germany.  While I think I may understand the point that was trying to be made, I do not think that the trials and social issues that come with high school can even come close to being paralleled to one of the worst events in history.  I actually find it a little disturbing that the parallel be suggested.

I also mentioned Julie sticking up for herself in my earlier post.....I did not intend to suggest that she and the rest of the outsiders band together to rise up against the popular group.  That's nonsense.  My only intention with that statement was this - if we are holding Sam and her friends accountable for their actions, than lets hold Juliet and the others accountable for theirs as well. If we are asking for Sam to be held accountable for being mean to others, are we saying it's okay for Juliet to allow people to be mean to her?  We feel sorry for Juliet b/c we hate to see others suffer, but shouldn't she be accountable and take up for herself?

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

ruthieWW wrote:

Lil Irish Lass wrote: " ..it makes it almost impossible for me to even care that she's dead, part of me feels like she deserved it."

I could never agree with that statement. Teenagers are still immature kids, whose actions and behavior are sometimes just symptoms of insecurity and self-esteem issues. Some grow up and develop into responsilbe, moral, upstanding adults; and some don't. As I commented in my first post, I really did not like Sam and she does remind me of a lot of young teenagers today, that are in the popular in-crowd. However, I cannot fathom the idea that she deserved to die! No young adult DESERVES to die. It happens, but it is the most tragically sad thing.

As you stated, there is a cynic in you, maybe because you bore the brunt of unkind actions when you were younger, so that it made it impossible for you to  "even care that she's dead".  Death is a finality, with NO second chances, NO HOPE, NO chance of redemption. Haven't we all met young people who displayed characteristics of these fictional girls, and yet they matured and overcame their frailities and failures.

Even though we dislike someone, or dislike their actions, we most often do not see the inner person, and we certainly cannot see their future.

Guess I am an optomist, instead of a cynic. I may not like the situation, but I sure do HOPE for better, HOPE for ch

Vtc Wrote..Thank you Ruth for posting that statement..I have wondered how sensitive we will all be to the issues facing Sam and all the characters in BIF..To me its an issue,since "Teen Reads' is designed to be YA Novels,that I as an older reader of YA,feel privileged to take part in this discussion .I guess I would hope that respect and understanding of YA be a given here.We are all free to post,of course,and disagree with some statements.  VT........

Vtc- I agree with your statement that we as older adults are privileged to be a part of this discussion.                  Kathy

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31

".it makes it almost impossible for me to even care that she's dead, part of me feels like she deserved it."

Wow this was a really shocking statement, it left me cold.  I think that even if it's a character in a fiction novel I believe we dont simply dont have the power or ability to say if someone deserved what they got specially in a topic like dead. Who are we to judge someone or to say they deserve to live or not to live... I agree with all the posts that have been posted on this forum about Sam being a teenager, me beeing a teenager myself and I think that even if some of my friends mess up or someone" messes up by the fact of being someone who is just like me he has the same rights I have and I am no one to tell whether he / she deserves something or not. I really felt sorry for Sam when she died because she had a whole life ahead of her and even if she was a total mean person to everyone I felt sad because beyond being mean or not, I know inside Sam was a soul and a spirt just as the one I have and all of us have. So whenever someone dies it shakes my grounds even if I never met the person, which is why I really felt sorry for Sam and her friends when the accident happened.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Good for you Charlie.You seem to have your mind and your heart in the right place.

CharlieG31 wrote:

".it makes it almost impossible for me to even care that she's dead, part of me feels like she deserved it."

Wow this was a really shocking statement, it left me cold.  I think that even if it's a character in a fiction novel I believe we dont simply dont have the power or ability to say if someone deserved what they got specially in a topic like dead. Who are we to judge someone or to say they deserve to live or not to live... I agree with all the posts that have been posted on this forum about Sam being a teenager, me beeing a teenager myself and I think that even if some of my friends mess up or someone" messes up by the fact of being someone who is just like me he has the same rights I have and I am no one to tell whether he / she deserves something or not. I really felt sorry for Sam when she died because she had a whole life ahead of her and even if she was a total mean person to everyone I felt sad because beyond being mean or not, I know inside Sam was a soul and a spirt just as the one I have and all of us have. So whenever someone dies it shakes my grounds even if I never met the person, which is why I really felt sorry for Sam and her friends when the accident happened.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

kpatton wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

ruthieWW wrote:

Lil Irish Lass wrote: " ..it makes it almost impossible for me to even care that she's dead, part of me feels like she deserved it."

I could never agree with that statement. Teenagers are still immature kids, whose actions and behavior are sometimes just symptoms of insecurity and self-esteem issues. Some grow up and develop into responsilbe, moral, upstanding adults; and some don't. As I commented in my first post, I really did not like Sam and she does remind me of a lot of young teenagers today, that are in the popular in-crowd. However, I cannot fathom the idea that she deserved to die! No young adult DESERVES to die. It happens, but it is the most tragically sad thing.

As you stated, there is a cynic in you, maybe because you bore the brunt of unkind actions when you were younger, so that it made it impossible for you to  "even care that she's dead".  Death is a finality, with NO second chances, NO HOPE, NO chance of redemption. Haven't we all met young people who displayed characteristics of these fictional girls, and yet they matured and overcame their frailities and failures.

Even though we dislike someone, or dislike their actions, we most often do not see the inner person, and we certainly cannot see their future.

Guess I am an optomist, instead of a cynic. I may not like the situation, but I sure do HOPE for better, HOPE for ch

Vtc Wrote..Thank you Ruth for posting that statement..I have wondered how sensitive we will all be to the issues facing Sam and all the characters in BIF..To me its an issue,since "Teen Reads' is designed to be YA Novels,that I as an older reader of YA,feel privileged to take part in this discussion .I guess I would hope that respect and understanding of YA be a given here.We are all free to post,of course,and disagree with some statements.  VT........

Vtc- I agree with your statement that we as older adults are privileged to be a part of this discussion.                  Kathy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks Kathy..I appreciate your post..Now we are on to Chapters 3,4,Lauren next week..So of course we have moved on from all the Negatives,and on to understanding..BIF..I always like reading your posts as well..Awareness..we are on the same page...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Good for you Charlie.You seem to have your mind and your heart in the right place.

CharlieG31 wrote:

Vtcozy wrote..Charlieg31..i agree with TWJ..glad you are with us..Should be a good week when we are discussing Chapters 3,4  Susan

thewanderingjew wrote:

CharlieG31 wrote:

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
New User
reji

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

--Sam's the type of teenager that a lot of people in school want to hate. She's extremely shallow and she just follows what her friends are doing, even if it's wrong. She doesn't act like a strong person who's willing to stand up and own up to mistakes. She also doesn't treat her own family with a lot of respect from the glimpses in the beginning.

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?

--She just fits in to be popular and well liked from what I can see. She's not as shallow as Lindsay but she's still shallow because she doesn't make her own decisions when she's with the group.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?

--Yeah, there's something about all the girls that make them different. They make act the same on the outside, but underneath, there's something that not a lot of people really know about them.

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?

--Not really. Lindsay's the type of person who lives and thrives off the drama created.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

--That she doesn't want to be associated with someone underneath her status sort of speak but she might still hold some feelings for him. Kent sounds like the type of person who doesn't judge Sam, even though how she treats him.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?

--Probably Kent. He seems to be the only one who might be able to understand what's really going on. Her popular friends are only interested in vain, shallow things and they just wouldn't understand what Sam's talking about.

Contributor
Mel-hefollowedme

Sam to me is a follower. She worked her way up to the 'in' crowd and is doing anything to stay there.

I'd have to say that she fits in, getting to ride shotgun BUT she doesn't feel she really belongs at the same time. Deep down I don't feel she is as shallow as the rest of them - then again this book is written from her perspective.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?

Yes, each one is unique & I really enjoy the dialogue, the sarcasm & just plain fun yet they so obvlious to the world outside themselves.

Heck no, got to love the irony here!

If I were Sam and had a true friend, not ones I'm always trying to impress then for sure. I don't think she's got that. My BFF would know as soon as I woke up and I doubt she'd question me or my sanitiy :smileyhappy:

I really enjoyed the first two chapters, it really felt like I was back in high school. All the cliques, the parties, seeing people act silly just to fit in. Yes, you aren't supposed to like how they act & I love how at the end of ch 1, she questions the reader.

Correspondent
retromom

I have just finished the first two chapters and I sure have a strong dislike for Sam and her friends. I find them to be self-centered bullies. I really felt these girls were out of control and felt they could do anything they wanted to. Her past friendship with Kent confused me. My guess is she was a different person when they were friends and Sam changed to become part of the group of shallow girls. It kind of frightens me to think it is that important to be part of the popular group. I don't think Lindsay Elody, or Ally are genuine friends. I think all 4 girls are friends for show not really deep down friends. By the second chapter when Sam realized she was reliving the same day over again I couldn't understand why she didn't try to change the outcome. I kept thinking she could not get in that car. She knew what was going to happen. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Contributor
kimmyblair
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

The relationship between Sam and her family very much reminded me of myself my Senior Year of High school. I had just gotten a new boyfriend, and wanted to spend ALL my time with him. Anyone who required me to spend time with them, without him, was just wasting my time. As a result I spent lots of time yelling and fighting with my family. During this time I didn't appreciate my family at all. Since then I have grown a lot and realized that it was awful for me to treat my family this way. I hope that Sam also learns this!

Please visit my book blog: http://kimmyblair.wordpress.com/
Frequent Contributor
CleverTwenty

Sam is a typical teen in my eyes

sam fits in perfectly because the queen needs minions.

Well we all know Lindsay is a terrible driver.

OOO YES! it fits because she doesn't want drama in her life just others.

IT shows she is a follower.

YEA, MY MOM! I think her mom would have listened.

Http://cleverlyinked.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd? Sam fits into this crowd because she puts others down so that it wont happen to her. Sadly there really is such a crowd in schools and i think everyone agrees there shoudnt have to be this type of 'crowd., though as others have said, its just the way of the teenagers. Maybe we shoudnt be to hard on the girls, because you know, was your high school any different? Have those mean girls changed any bit? Bullies bully because they feel insecure. Just curious...

----------------------------------------------
Correspondent
jabrkeKB

Rachel-K wrote:

Hi all,

Please use any of the following questions to kick off our discussion of Before I Fall. Feel free to post your own questions and ideas for the rest of the group, too!

Please remember that this thread only covers the first two chapters!

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?She is a popular girl who wants to fit in no matter what it takes, including hurting other kids feelings. The only thing I know about her family is that she has a little sister.

I feel that Sam is a follower in this group not a leader. 

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?I don't see them as cookie-cutter perfect.

She is all about the drama.

I believe she wants to be nice to Kent but is afraid her  friends will not approve.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?I think I would keep it to myself at  first.

Frequent Contributor
Annette94
0 Kudos

Thank you :smileyvery-happy:

Reader 2
seolmara

Sam is a typical teenager whose conscience is constantly struggling against her popularity. The conscience seems to lose. It appears she comes from a happy background. What keeps her with her unpleasant friends are probably her own personal demons (appearance, shyness, etc.).

Sam fits in perfectly because she keeps hanging out with them knowing how they act and justifying it with what she knows of their backgrounds. While she isn't the leader of the group, she puts in her two cents worth.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?.

From Ally's eating disorder to Elody's alcoholic mother, we see a glimmer of their individual stories.

Scratch out the "No", then perfect!

That she's the same as everyone else. We all have friendships that we;ve drifted from over the years. It's how she relates to him now that's the shame of it all.

Absolutely! I don't understand why people in books/movies don't communicate better?! Besides, my best friend knows I goofy about stuff like that :smileywink: