Contributor
JennM14
0 Kudos

Re: Before I Fall, Early Chapters, 1-2

Stewies_Mom wrote:

I keep trying to read this book, but I'm struggling to get past the first two chapters.  The characters are so obnoxious that I can't find myself wanting to continue reading about them.  I find that I don't care what happens to them and that makes it really difficult to keep reading.  I've thought about skipping past this part, but then I wouldn't understand some of what was going on in the story.  My apologies to the author, but all I keep thinking about Sam and her friends is - yuck!

I find your post extremely interesting because I too struggled to get into the book, at first, athought it didn't take me as long as you.  I am the kind of reader who like to, NO needs to, read a book in as close to one sitting as possible if I am enjoying it.  It took me several tries to get into this book but once I did I struggled to put it down. 

I think we are supposed to feel that way about Sam's Group - in the beginning Sam is not a nice person and I didn't like her either.  Since this discussion is meant to focus on Chapters 1-2 I am not going to say any more about that LOL.

I am interested in knowing if you have been able to get into it yet???

Jenn

Contributor
lizabet1196
0 Kudos

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?Sam to me is a follower.  She seems to have lost who she once was to fit in.  The family seems to be like all other families, to busy with everyday responsibilites to pay attention to each other. 

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?  She seems to have maybe changed herself to fit in with them perfectly on the outside.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?  Yes we do.

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?  I don't know, Lindsay seems to love and strive for drama.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her? That somewhere inside of her still she knows who she should be even if she doesn't realize it.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?  After reading only the first 2 chapters, not so sure.

Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

Sam is one of those snobby popular girls that MOST students in school really hate.  She goes around thinking that she's better than everyone else and making fun of all the other students because they are different.  She has a sister named Izzy.  She has parents.  Not much is known from what I read.  I didn't learn anything surprising although she seems to have a teeny tiny bit of compassion in that she at least thinks about the other person's feelings AFTER she commits the act.  She seems to have a small conscience. 

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?

She's just like every other girl.  She just got PICKED at the right time by the Queen girl. It's kinda hard to tell these girls apart from each other.  All of them copycat each other.  They are all like slaves to the queen who could make them or break them if they got out of line.

They are ALL cookie cutter.  You could easily mistake one for the other.  I have done so many times.  Only can tell them apart by which boy they like.

She's ALL about drama.  It seems to be her life story to create drama in her life. 

She seems to have hung on to a bit of her beginnings.  She hasn't completely turned into a mindless cheerleader popular girl.

The only one I could think of would be Kent.

This book was confusing as to which girl was who.  You have to write their names down and write about each of them to keep track. 

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Reader
bookharlot
0 Kudos

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

Sam seems like a typical popular teen: self involved, oblivious to those not in her group.  Not exactly a "mean girl" but not nice either.  Preppy.  Family:  she seems to love her sister, but doesn't seem to be particularly close to them.  Apparently Sam hasn't been popular forever, she was "chosen" for popularity by Lindsay.  Lindsay seems to have chosen the whole group, actually.  Sam likes her boyfriend, but doesn't love him, and wants to lose her virginity to get it over with.  

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?

She fits in as long as she keeps up the facade.  I have the feeling that all of the group are really putting on an act and are hiding secrets.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?

Yes:  Ally played field hockey, which was how she and Lindsay met.  Elody was new in town and hooked up with Lindsay's crush, and somehow she and Lindsay became friends.

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?

Kind of...she seems to do what she can to avoid drama with her friends.  With everyone else, not so much.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

That she wasn't always a "mean girl"

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?

No, I don't think that she's close enough with any of her friends to confide something truly deep.

Contributor
FortunaLuna
0 Kudos

I'm just going to answer my favorite of these questions...

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

It shows how deep of a person Sam actually is, despite her apparent shallowness and superficiality. Though she doesn't want to admit it, Kent's friendship is always in the back of her mind and it just takes her a while to realize this!

Contributor
Clyo
0 Kudos

Sam seems to be a typical high school superficial girl, but I think that, on the inside, she is really nice – but hey, she wants to be popular too; and she prefers to be cruel... I mean, cool. :smileytongue: Because she needs to feel accepted, to be part of it all.

About Sam's friendship with Kent: I think deep down she does like Kent. She feel herself identified with Kent, because he is not popular, and she wasn't cool either when she was younger.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?

I don't thinks so :/  Sam's friends (Lindsay, Elody and Ally) would make fun of her, thinking she's crazy.

Reader
macp
0 Kudos

Well I have only read these first two chapters, but I'm enjoying the book. I don't think that Sam really wants to be the person that she is. I think that in her heart she knows that what she is doing is not the right thing all of the time. I think that she is a follower, she wants to fit in the crowd so bad that she'll do whatever with her friends to just "fit in". She doesn't care that people get hurt, but she knows it's wrond. I think that there is much more to learn about each of her friends. We have learned something from them, but I don't think that's all there is to know about them. I think that her relationship with Kent is limited. I think they both want things from each other, but since Sam is so intereseted in her label she wouldn't even possibly think about it. I am looking forward to the next two chapters and see what's ahead. Though I have a question. Why do the chapters keep starting off with the same day? Will the end of the book answer that question, or is the whole book like this?

Reader 2
gLeek
0 Kudos

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress? In the first few chapters, Sam is very shallow, and she doesn't see people for who they really are. She judges people by their looks, and brands them as their stereotypes. She wants to fit in with her friends so badly, and would do anything to be one of them, instead of being herself and finding friends that would love her for who she is.

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd? Sam and her friends fit in with just themselves. They don't get along too well with others, and choose to stay in their own little clique. They are the group that everyone hates, but would love to be. From the outside, Sam and her friends seem perfect, but if you really get to see what goes on within, you realize that they're far from it. Sam doesn't really fit in, but tries too hard to. She appears to be everything everyone wants, and does everything she can to appear so, but deep down inside, she just wants to fit in.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect? Yes. We know that there is more than what meets the eyes. We can see that they all try to be perfect, but underneath everything, they all have their own faults and flaws that they are covering up.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her? I think this shows who Sam really is. She wants to remain friends with the people who have been with her through everything. And at the same time, this shows how Sam is affected by peer pressure, how she can't always be friends with Kent because of what her friends will say, and how other people would judge her.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again? No, I don't think I would have friends in whom I will be able to confide in. I think that if I were Sam, I would choose to believe that none of what was happening was real, and I was all in a dream. I would choose to believe that at any second I would wake up, and I wouldn't need anyone to confide in because it was all just a nightmare gone to the extreme.