Inspired Contributor
Beguile_Thy_Sorrow

Re: Before I Fall, Early Chapters, 1-2

Please remember that this thread only covers the first two chapters!

What kind of person is Sam?

Gawd, she is MEAN. She is totally a shallow, self-centered "mean girl" just like in the Tina Fey comedy, but a lot more realistic.

What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

Idk, I didn't even factor in her family so much cause she seems so detached from them. I didn't find this surprising considering she's a teen and that superficial stuff like popularity is important to her.

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?

She fits in perfectly; in fact she's pretty much top dog on the popularity scale. Even when she's insecure she fits in cause that's how all the "popular" kids are in H.S. and her inner chatter confirms that.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?

No. Her friends are very sterotypical and seem interchangeable with the exception of Kent, who she doesn't even consider at her "level".

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?

At this point in the story, not at all because you can tell this girl LOVES drama. She thrives on H.S. scandal and gossip, talking crap to people and just plain being the bitch that Juliet says she is. But that also make the contradiction of the song fitting her perfectly. Girls like Lindsay always pick stuff like that to be how they see, or wanna see, themselves when in reality it's opposite completely.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

That her authentic self is still there hidden under her facade, and that he can still see it and tries to connect with her through that. Kent is one of those people that never seem to lose themselves; even in high school they seem to know who they are and really be able to see to the core of everything.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?

Definitely yes.

I'd be so scared and probably talk to my Kent equivalent if I were the Sam character. He seems to really know her well despite not having talked in years, and he also makes the effort to show he cares with the rose & cartoon.

"Come, and take choice of all my library,
And so beguile thy sorrow."
~Titus Andronicus, Act IV, Scene 1: Shakespeare
B&N Bookseller
Bonnie_W

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

Sam seems to be very much a poser.  She's part of the popular crowd and tries really hard to stay there.  Sometimes, she feels like she doesn't fit in, but it's clearly the lifestyle she wants.  She knows what it's like to be on the other side and doesn't want to go back to that version of herself, so she sometimes feels out of sync.  I think she's confused and doesn't know what she wants.  She seems very shallow, but I think much of it is a facade and she has no true identity.  

As for her family, I didn't care for the way she treated her younger sister.  You can tell that Izzy idolizes Sam, but Sam can't even give her the time of day.  Instead of being grateful that her sister grabbed her gloves for her, she thinks about how Izzy might have ruined the gloves, etc.  As an older sibling, I know how annoying younger brothers and sisters can be, but it seems she has no consideration for Izzy at all.  

What surprised me the most, honestly, was how long it took Sam to realize that her day was repeating.  I'm assuming she had an inkling and just pressed it aside.  After all, it *is* a crazy thought.  But still...

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?

Everyone has the same sense of sameness.  They look similar, consume the same food/beverages, have the same lingo, etc.  At the same time, Sam seems to try too hard to match everyone else and worries about what her friends will say/do every step of the way.  For example, it seems that one of the biggest reasons she wants to have sex with her boyfriend is because Lindsay and Elody will stop making fun of her and she'll be "one of them" on that level as well.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?

We absolutely learn a bit about each girl, little slivers here and there that showcase who the girls are as people so that we can get a taste of their personalities.  Sam even details things they've done that haven't been "cool" in order to prove that no one is perfect (they just seem to be). 

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?

I haven't heard the song, but I think there is a lot of drama in her life, especially since one of her friends, Lindsay, is a catalyst for drama.  She doesn't seem to really focus on the drama as much as she does other things, such as fitting in.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

Sam seems to be embarrassed about who she once was before she became popular.  She doesn't want to be associated with someone who isn't cool, even if they were once good friends.  This is one of the reasons that shows how she's either shallow or trying too hard to fit in with the cool crowd (or both). 

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?

Mm, honestly, I'm not sure.  There's a good chance I wouldn't since it would need to be someone you trust infinitely.  Even then, they might still think you're crazy or pulling their leg...

http://abackwardsstory.blogspot.com for ideas on what to read next!
(Last author interviewed: Michelle Madow; Last book reviewed: CADET OF TILDOR; Giving away: CADET OF TILDOR until Jan 31! :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31

Tally-wa wrote:

Gawd, she is MEAN. She is totally a shallow, self-centered "mean girl" just like in the Tina Fey comedy, but a lot more realistic.

From my point of view Sam is not mean she is just a teenager who is just posing as abackwardsstory said, I believe that when they start pushing psycho girl she clearly shows she gives it a thought whether to push her or not and even though at the end she does push the girl I believe that shows she 's not mean or evil in spirit she is just trying to fit in whether by actions or by comments she is just trying to show that she belongs to the popular group anod not to another group which is not as popular as the one where she currently is.The second day when Sam tries like to fix things and try not to do the actions she did before she died clearly shows she is conscience of  the things she did and tries to change them for me that is proof enough that she is not mean.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Reader 2
jmke35

In the beginning of this book Sam seemed like a girl who wanted to fit in. She had been the girl was was made fun of in the past but now she was in the popular group and wanted to stay. There is no denying that she was a mean girl. I'm sure I would have avoided her in high school. But early on, I'd say even in the first chapter I could see that Sam wasn't so sure that this was who she wanted to be. You could tell she didn't always agree with Linday's behavior.

What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

It seems like her parents have maybe given up. She doesn't seem to spend much time with her family at all.

I agree with what some of the other reader's are saying. To be part of the popular group you have to be insecure. I think this even applies with adults I know. There is one person that is designated the alpha, in this book I'd say that's Lindsay. The rest go along with what she says because they aren't strong enough to stand up for what they believe in. They are too afraid of what it would do to their social standing.

Of course. While we all think/thought the popular kids have it so good that is not true. The grass always seems greener on the other side. 

I agree that this song isn't perfect initially. These girls create drama and thrive on it. 

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

I think Kent represents that part of Sam that is the good part who wants to treat people fairly. He is the connection to her childhood when she wasn't Lindsay's best friend. For me he was the hope that she would remember who she really is/was.

If I were her and had her friends, probably not. Although I think after she kept repeating that day I may have felt I could talk to Kent. What would it hurt? They might think you are crazy but you are probably just going to wake up again and it would be the same day so they wouldn't know that conversation happened.

Correspondent
GreenFairyLV

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

Maybe she just a self involved teenager.  I didn't really learn much about her family, just that she has a sister that she feels is annoying.  And Sam used to love riding horses.

I feel she fits in perfectly.  I feel the author is trying to convey that Sam is different somehow and not as mean as the other girls but I'm not getting that.  She seems just as self absorbed and mean as the rest of them.  Maybe something will change later on, but she just seems shallow to me.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

Honestly not much. She mean to him. 

Yes definitely.

Contributor
lilxtwinkies

In the beginning first two chapters, we basically learn that Sam is shallow and she really only cares about being popular. She doesn't really care who gets hurt in the process. In the beginning we really only see how Sam interacts with her younger sister, but she doesn't really spend a lot of time with her, instead she constantly pushes her away.

Since we only see Sam's perspective in the novel, we see that Sam does try hard to fit in with the group, but the incident with Juliet and Kent in the first two chapters, we learn that although she does whatever she needs to fit in, it still bothers her deep down inside.

The relationship with Kent shows that no matter how long she has been friends with him, in order to become popular and fit in with everyone else, she is willing to ignore Kent. This shows how much priority Sam places on being popular and fitting in.

If I were Sam during the first two days, I don't think I would've confided in anyone during the beginning. People would most likely think I'm crazy and then I still wouldn't have even had a grasp on what was going on. Maybe after I finally realized it was going to keep repeating, then I might have confided in someone else.

Contributor
Galleysmith

I found this choice to be quite ironic given the dramatic way Lindsay seems to live her life (as we've seen it thus far).  As the leader of the pack she's brash and loud and impetuous.  As evidenced by her carelessness with the car she had little feeling for those around her.  She is the personification of drama.

Contributor
TatyyGirl

I feel one of the defining moments of the early chapters is at the party. Sam's reaction to Juliet was extremely 1984-ish. She went along with the reactions of the others, harrassing her and throwing things on her. It was enjoyable seeing an allusion to such a classic novel, though the scene itself shows how easily influenced Sam is.

Contributor
Megtall
0 Kudos

Re: Before I Fall, Early Chapters, 1-2-- Loving this Book!!

I found her to be incredibly annoying at first.  She seemed very selfish and concerned only with popularity.  Some of the things she said and did were appalling.  It was like she had a conscience, but completely pushed it out of mind at the party.  As another reader said, it was very 1984 in that she blindly went along with name calling and dumping drinks on the girl simply because it was what was expected of her.

She fits in perfectly to the observer.  But, upon closer inspection, she is starting to question the motives sometimes for a lot of her relationships.  THe kids that were mean to her as a child are suddenly her best friends in high school, she starts to realize that she may only like Rob because she is expected to like him.  It is an interesting transformation she made to become part of the in-crowd...losing parts of her self along the way.

Absolutely not.  She seems to thrive on the drama more than any of the other girls.

I tells the reader that she still thinks about him even though she thinks she shouldn't (because as she reminds the readers, Kent isn't cool enough to be her friend anymore).  I think she still cares about him, but cares more about maintaining her popularity after a childhood of being unpopular.

I don't really think she could tell her Ally, Elody or Lindsay because they would mock her and she doesn't want to risk losing their "coolness." In the beginning 2 chapters, I don't really think she could tell anyone and have them still think her sane.  Maybe Kent would be the only one.  There is something about those old relationships that have more openness than high school and even adult relationships.  I have a friend I've known since first grade and I can tell her anything in the world, where my later relationships are still closed to a lot of topics. 

Namaste.
Meg
Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

Sam's mostly a typical popular teenage girl. I do think it's interesting that she wasn't always popular and she remembers that time. I was so disappointed that she shoved Juliet and poured the beer on her.

On a superficial level, Sam fits in with her friends just fine. Most girls her age just want to fit in.

"No More Drama." Oh, the irony. Teenage girls are all about the drama.

Her past friendship with Kent happened before she was popular. If she had maintained her friendship with him, she might have been kicked out of her group.

I don't think Sam could confide in any of her friends.

Oh, and you couldn't pay me to live through my teenage years again!  

Correspondent
nicole21WA
0 Kudos

kherbrand wrote:

I have to make a comment about Juliet - I want to know what is going on with her that made her clean up, come to the party, and take a stand!

I agree.  What is it about this Cupid Day that finally pushed her to go after the girls by showing up at the party?  At least for the original day and its replay, nothing out of the ordinary happened between Juliet and the girls.  And I'm sure there have been plenty of other parties she could've staged this at.  I also wonder what she hoped to accomplish. 

Correspondent
MissShopaholic

Having gone through High School, then college and now teaching, it seems as though life goes by pretty quickly.  I'm still transitioning into adulthood and yet by teaching I see how students only care about the here and now and not about the future.  I'm still fairly young, not even thirty but not long ago i can remember how friday and saturday nights were so important.  Really and truly, even the popular students then aren't all that successful now.  Now a days i'm in bed before 10:30 and the nights out don't even matter

Sam seems to be like my students- only caring about the best shoes, best clothes, who is worth talking to.  I would like to think that by the end of this she'll realize that the whole popularity thing isn't really worth it. I think since she wasn't always part of the "in-crowd" she's a little more observant of the world around her and may be a little bit more smarter about the world.

It seems that she is going through a bit of shock and she goes through the motions of the day after the accident.  She has not quite figured out what everything means and what is happening- which would probably be the natural response.  I was disappointed in her that she knew what was going to happen to juliet but reacted in the exact same way. 

In the second chapter we learn a little bit more about the girls and do find that they each have their own issues to deal with.  Which is all very realistic. No one's life is truly perfect.

I think her friendship with Kent is just something that is familiar to her.  Sort of like a security blanket.

The no more drama part- well, i think they live for drama.  If they didn't, they wouldn't make Juliet's life miserable, or make the comments they make or the rules they create  (like no running in school) or even caring who got the most roses.

Frequent Contributor
sarah_in_ca

Sam is a girl who has desperately tried to fit in with the popular group at school.  The 4 girls depend on each other, dare each other, and go out of their ways to treat schoolmates in any derrogatory manner they can think of, and then laugh about it.  They have no fear because they are the popular girls.  Sam's family seems to be understanding about her behavior as these girls become more important to Sam than family.  They're in the story, but they're not--always in the background, loving and stable.  Sam is not the leader of the group, but goes along with them and their antics because she needs to be included after all those years of being the brunt of jokes when she was younger.

Sam and Kent go back a long way, but as she became more popular, she dropped him from her circle--not wanting to dismiss him, but feeling she had to move on.  Kent was her voice from the past--which she desperately wanted to avoid.

New User
Caitlynxx
0 Kudos

To me, Sam seems very "fake", A stereotypical popular girl. Nothing was really said about her family and she doesn't seem dynamic at this point at all.

Sam is an awkward tagger, it's obvbious to me that she knows she doesnt belong and is somewhat unhappy where she is.

A little bit here at there but not much, it seems like Sam Ally Elody and Lindsay are typical "The Hills" type girls.

Not AT all. She's a drama feeder and wants nothing but it.

That she likes attention and truthfully doesn't like hurting people.

Nope, I wouldn't even confide in Rob. She can't trust ANY of them.

Contributor
BoilerWriter
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Rachel-K wrote:

Feel free to post your own questions and ideas for the rest of the group, too!

Okay, I may ask this question again, when the author comes on, but until then, I was wondering, does anyone know how a book is designated for young adults? I realize the book is about teenagers and the problems they face, but it seems appropriate for a wider range of readers.
I have read several YA books and they all engaged me and did not seem to be written for a single audience...i.e, The Hunger Games, Chasing Fire, The Book Thief, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas...and now this, Before I Fall. All of these covered themes that could easily be enjoyed by older readers as well.
Is it because the main characters are young?
Is it simply easier to get published in this genre?
Is it about shelf space?
Does anyone know?

This is just my opinion, Lauren or her editor could probably address it more accurately, but writing material in the YA genre is my hobby, so this is my take on your questions. Writers generally have an audience in mind when they write a novel. YA is generally targeted to readers ages 13-18. Since the protagonist and most of the other characters in the book are high school students and the issues discussed (underage drinking, popularity cliques, etc.) are pertinent to this age group, the YA genre makes sense. I do agree with you that this book, like the other novels you mentioned, can all be enjoyed by a wide range of age groups and reading interests.

Contributor
BoilerWriter

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

Huh, I guess I'm the bad person for not feeling sorry for Sam and her clique and saying that they do not have any redeemable qualities. I guess I'll be the Devil's Advocate for BIF.

I find it fascinating that so many are determined to not condone the actions of Sam and her friends and I wonder if that tune will change as we get deeper into the novel (I'm only in chapter 4 so I haven't gone that far ahead). I do believe that people can change but I also know that a lot of times it doesn't happen.

Do "mean girls" mature and grow up into good people who are an asset to society? It can happen, but it seems like "mean girls" who are actually mean (like Lindsey), not just going along with it to be popular (like Sam), don't change. They become the mean sorority girl in college, and then the person in the office whom everyone hates because they are so evil and nasty to everyone.

So here's a question - which is worse, the inherent mean girl (aka Lindsey), or the person who goes along with all of it knowing it's bad behavior, just to be popular (aka Sam)?

The Lindseys in life do sometimes go on to be the mean girls of the sorority and later on the work place, but even if those Lindseys don't change, the rest of us evolve into older and wiser people over the years. When you're a teen, say 18 like Sam and Lindsey, you tend to fall prey to the shallowness of a Lindsey due to the appeal of her outer beauty and popularity. That may trickle over into college sorority life, but once the school peer community is no longer our greatest influence in life, I think the magnetism of the Lindseys deteriorates. Beauty fades and unless you're the trophy wife of the company CEO, popularity issues don't run as rampent in the general society. The Lindseys may still exist in the work place dressed to the nines with their cosmetic surgeries and looking down their noses at the 'less appealing' in their eyes, but at age 48 if someone is allowing them to still have the power to control their actions, then there are bigger issues at hand. The Lindseys are the only people who deem themselves worthy to be the decision maker of the universe and only draw the attention of their like kind. The Sams and the Juliets have moved on to bigger and better things in the world by then.

New User
Bookw0rm

Sam is so self centered instead of being a leader and being better she follows her friends she would like to branch out but she is scared of being rejected and not being “popular”

Sam fits in only because she follows Lindsay. If she was to be her own person and her true self she wouldn’t be considered one of the popular kids in school.

Their alike but they each have a personality that makes them different in some way although we cant tell at the beginning

Heck NO…she is full of drama. Even if she is not the one causing it sometimes she definitely can smell it and get involved in it.  

You can tell that she wasn’t always this way. I think that she wants to be friend with him and that she liked him but she is afraid that her friends wouldn’t approve and she will loose her popularity.

Yes. Even though I know she would think I’m crazy and tell me to get some help it would make it easier for me to live through the day. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

Sam and her "group" take popularity to the extreme.  Sometimes, I find it bizarre that the behavior of these girls is what is considered popular.  This extreme behavior surfaces to hide the "demons/skeletons" in the closet that each of these girls try so hard to keep hidden.  Sam repeats the cycle of "abuse."  She finds victims to "terrorize" to ensure that she does not become a victim/unpopular again.  Sam sees the faults in herself and her friends that lie just below the surface, and she will do anything to keep them there.  Certain subjects are not even discussed between the friends themselves.  This illustrates their need to put down others before they can be put down themselves or discovered for their own flaws.  Sam's crew does not even pause to think about what they say or do before it is done and cannot be taken back. It has become so automatic to the girls that it is just a way of life to them...one without repercussions.

Kent is a perfect example of this.  Sam seems to really want to be noticed by Kent, but she would never admit this.  Acknowledging his friendship would be an automatic "black mark" against her popularity, and Sam won't risk that.  Sam might think about her past friendship with Kent, even with fondness, but to admit this would not go along with her popularity plan.  Sam plans to attend Kent's party only because everyone else is going, and it is expected of her.  What are Kent's motives behind hosting the part?  A step toward popularity himself?

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

MissShopaholic, I agree with you. These girls are spoilted brats. They like to hurt anyone who doesn't fit their definition of cool. Typical clic or girls who wear the most current styles and the best of everything and then make fun of those who can't afford to or are just a bit different.

I am hoping that Sam will learn some things through her experience.

I have gone with high school, college and now a library aide. At 57, I still can't believe that there are some people in my high school class that still act this way. We are only a year away from our 40th class reunion and there are some out there that still think they are better than everyone else. Life happens. It is time to get over it. I can't beleive that people still act this way after all this time. Then I guess that they just haven't learned any thing from life itself.

I how that these girls will learn something before they learn the hard cruel facts of life. Otherwise, they will have a big shock in store for them.

Lets us hope that these girls deal with their issues before something comes back to bite them in the butt and wake them up. I wonder how they would feel if what they go to others happened to them. How would they handle that.

I like this book. I think it is wake up call to us all. That you need to be careful of people feelings because you never know when your last day may come.

ReadingPatti

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT

Sorry had a late start. I have been busy with college and kids. I am working at catching up.

It seemed to be that Sam was a follower. She was going to have sex with a guy she had to remind herself that she loved, just so Lindsay and Elody would not tease her for not doing it anymore, and so she was not the last because Ally had not done it yet. When the group was teasing (in school and at the party) Juliet Sykes (the less popular girl), Sam only joins in because the other girls are doing it. At school Sam was wondering why Juliet was not liked by Lindsay and at the party, Sam was shocked at how pretty the girl is. She did not start the teasing but she joined in as usual. 

Sam's friendship with Kent tells me that she once cared about more than herself. At one time, she was a kind person even if she was not in the "in" group.

I think the only girl in the group Sam could confide in about starting the 12th over again is Ally. She seems to be interested in that type of thing. For example when she said she thought everything was connected. They stole the parking spot so the girl was late to class and taken off the swim team (which was her life). Other than that I think the only other person she could talk to is Kent. He seems like he would listen to her and keep her secret.