Reader
DuckyAD

Re: Before I Fall, Early Chapters, 1-2

Sam is a normal person who has slowly become trapped in the body of the "it girl" she created herself. She wishes she could return to the simplicity of her former life, but can't seem to bring herself to leave her popularity and friends behind. This shows how prideful she really is. Her family has gotten used to ther person she has become, but I don't think they like it very much. Admirably, they are still nice to her, and they try the best they can to make her happy.

The only reason Sam really fits in is because the student body now associates her with the popular girls. Now that she hangs out with them, she has attained the perks that come with being popular.

Lindsay smokes, drinks, and does a load of other deplorable things, seemingly for no reason other than the thrill factor. Ally is still a virgin, which in this day and age is considered embarrassing, and her mother is an alcoholic. Elody is really cheap, and even though she is the nicest in the group, her friends still make fun of her for it.

"No More Drama" absolutely does not fit Lindsay. She may not like drama, but it's almost like she goes out of her way to create it.

Sam's broken friendship with Kent says that she misses the days when there wasn't a wall between them, and she feels bad that she basically snubbed the guy. She wishes they could be friends again, but she knows that her friends don't approve of him.

If I were Sam I don't know if I would confide in someone. I would want to, but I don't think I know anyone who would believe me without proof, and there is no way to prove that you're waking up on the same day over and over. Also, the next time you woke up, you would have to convince them again.

Contributor
mom2busyboys
0 Kudos

Finally had some time tonight to really get into the book.  I like so far quite a bit.  Everyone has such good insights and you can see what angle some people are looking at the book from.

I have to admit, I didn't hate Sam.  Lindsay was the true mean girl, but maybe if this book was written from Lindsay's point of view I would feel differently about her.  I think that because my high school experience was so different than how high schools are portrayed today that I have a hard time relating.  As far as I knew there weren't any "mean" girls in my class at school.  I wasn't one of the popular ones but since Iw as an athlete I was known, and accepted.  I didn't party though, so I wasn't included in invites to parties.  But, my whole point to this was that I truly felt that by our senior year, everybody seemed comfortable in their own group.  They weren't watching the popular girls and wanting to be like them.

I am just in the middle of chapter 2 and am finding this a very interesting premise for a book!  Reliving the day you die over and over to get it right!  Very different!

"You want weapons? We're in a library. Books! Best weapons in the world!" --David Tennant "Doctor Who"

http://janasbooklist.blogspot.com
Contributor
TamCG

I definitely as an outsider looking in you would probably feel Sam fits right in with the crowd she is with.  And in some ways they definitely compliment each other.  Through reading the first two chapters you do get that bit of insight into her personality that makes you tinker on wanting to put her in the "typical mean teenager" catergory or the "girl trying to fit in with the typical mean teenager". 

Lindsay's theme song cracked me up!  It suddenly made me want to analyze "driving into school" theme songs from my high school days - would I be able to place them??? It definitely fits how she wants to see herself as....STRONG .

Contributor
aliciainlove

What kind of person is Sam? I was just telling my boyfriend today about how much I like this book and sam's character. She is flawed in a very real way. I can almost see a 'nice girl' in her, but for the most part, she doesn't seem to struggle with her decisions about how she treats other people. Life is just the way it is, deal with it. But I suppose it's easy for her to say that from her side of things. She cares a lot about what other people think about her, and knows it, but from her perspective, everyone should and does care about what other think, and if they appear to not, then there MUST be something wrong with them.

What do we know about her family? Uh...she has a younger sister...That's all I really rememer right now.

Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress? Not really...

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd? She fits. These are her friends. I think that relationships in high school, and in life really, transcend the barriers of cliques and groups, and if you were to compare everybody side by side, there'd be identical dynamics. She fits quite well. She knows her friends, she loves her friends, she invests time with them. Her insecurities shine through and might lead us to believe she's different, or perhaps that's our hope as readers, because we are expecting her to make a change... Sam fits in this group. They have inside jokes, they laugh together, they have fun together..

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect? Of course. If there wasn't, this story would feel too contrived. There has to be a realness to each character.

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her? Does "no more drama" fit ANYBODY in high school? Yeah...enough said.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her? I wouldn't call it a friendship really...

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again? It's going to be McFreaky. :smileytongue: Or maybe the weird one with the blonde hair, who I suspect wasn't actually the one who wet her sleeping bag during the girl scout trip, or maybe I'm just over analyzing things. We shall see. I haven't read passed Sam being dressed up for her big night with whatshisface.

I know...my effort is impressive. :3

Correspondent
Sadie1

I finished chapter 2 tonight and wanted to keep on reading and had to stop myself.  I want to keep on track with the discussions.

But so far, I don't like Sam and her crowd.  I only like Juliet and Kent.

The only one I see Sam talking to at this point would be Juliet or even Kent.  Kent see's right through her, yet I wonder about him and the wild party he is having at his parents home while they are away.

Sam is trying to fit in and that is why she has made the choices to behave the way she does.  Those are choices she has made.  No one made her do it.  She could have taken the higher road and not been part of the mean crowd.

I was an athlete in school back in my day.  We had mean kids in school back then too.  It's not something new.  I went out of my way to be friends with everyone.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  I have taught my 17 year old to do the same.

I think in this book it shows so far some lacking an parental skills of the parents of these girls.  Their parents have to know they are like this.  Ally has pillows with cussing on them in her room.  Surely her parents know that.  A lot of parents find this kind of behavior acceptable in their kids and they are breeding these kinds of kids each and every day.

My child has had to read a lot of books throughout school.  I think this book is one of those books that the english teachers need to make the kids read.

Being cool is being a fool!

Lisa

Contributor
historygirl2008AS

Sam is not perfect but she pretends she is. You can see in the beginnig that she doesnt really fit with her group of friends and than later you see that at the party. I agree with the feeling of being annoyed when she doesnt realized shes dead.

Frequent Contributor
spalma324
0 Kudos

I felt like Sam knew what her and her friends were doing was wrong but was so desperate to be part of the in crowd she went along with it. Knowing if she didn't she would be getting the same treatment all those other kids were getting. It was better to her to be in than out.

Unfortunately I think this is probably more the case than not. School is so hard I would never trade to go back to that time.

I didn't hate Sam I felt sorry for her. I more disliked Lindsay...but I guess she is the one to feel the most sorry for b/c she was so scared to let anyone see her true self that she had to punish everyone for her fears.

New User
sues33

I'm surprised that people are upset she didn't instantly catch on to the fact that she was repeating the same day over and over.  That's not exactly a normal occurrence and as an adult I can say I would tend more toward thinking I was crazy or had had a very accurate dream, at least for awhile.  I don't think anyone would instantly assume they had died and were being given the chance to live the day over and she's a teenager, so she really shouldn't be making those kind of logical assumptions.  I was a teenager awhile ago but I can still remember my inability to see the bigger picture, and thinking that my drama with my friends was the worst thing in the world, but I think that's normal. There are definitely teenagers who can see beyond the world they inhabit but they're the exception not the rule.

I think Sam's making a lot of bad decisions before the first time she gets killed but she's a teenager and the vast majority of teenagers make bad decisions, generally based on their need to fit in.  Its awful that fitting involves being mean but adults aren't always a lot better.

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass

Thanks! But I have to give credit where credit is due, your questions made me think about my original comments again and delve deeper for answers a second time around.

:smileyhappy:

thewanderingjew wrote:

twj: That was a great and thoughtful response!
edited by twj....

LIL wrote: I believe that blaming society and the media is a cop out for parents who don't want the full time job of being a parent. All of us survived life without cell phones, iPods, etc... I remember having a calling card in high school and using the *gasp* payphone if I had to reach my parents. As a child I was allowed 1 hour a day to play video games (before you could save the game mind you), which never allowed me enough time to beat a game, but that was the rule and so that's how it went. It seems like a lot of parents allow the video games and TV to babysit their children so they don't have to actually interact with them. Limits are a good thing 99% of the time and while teenagers will curse out good parenting in the moment, they will never regret it down the road. I also believe that schools have to enforce a strict policy that electronic devices stay in the locker, if caught being used in a classroom, they should be taken for the remainder of the day. It's hard enough to pay attention to a subject you don't love, let alone doing so when you could be playing a game or texting your friends. Why set our children up to fail?
twj:  Why have we become so lax as a society as far as imposing limits on kids? Is it absolutely necessary for these parents to work outside the home or is it in order to buy "the toys"? Not all kids have working moms and still they seem to be neglected by their parents as far as direction is concerned. Perhaps I am over generalizing. you seem younger and probably have a better perspective.
I chose to do without "the
toys" when I raised my family and I worked during their school hours when I needed money, only to eat and pay bills, but my generation was mostly stay at home moms. my daughter's is mostly working moms and she suffers the slings and arrows of the "mean" girls who think she should be working because she is a stay at home mom. she always wanted to be a mom, just like me...i take that as a huge compliment.
my grandkids teachers have told my daughter that she should give courses in parenting! the problem is that nannys are the new parents of children instead. i only hope my grandkids stay healthy and "sane" and are able to withstand the pressure of their peers. they are young now but i can already see it in my granddaughter's age group...there are mean girls already, in fifth grade.

edited by twj...

LIL wrote: I think it's a compilation of many things... kids just grow up faster these days than during the 80s. 13 year old girls are being brainwashed into thinking they can behave like someone in their mid-20s because that's what the media says is the "norm". Look at the TV shows for young adults... many characters are played by actors in their 20s. I think it's a lack of parenting again and a defeated attitude that "everyone is doing it" so there's no sense in trying to talk to your child about how you should wait until you are REALLY ready to have sex or how drugs could ruin your life. I grew up listening to Debbie Gibson - her scandal was she showed her knee through a hole in her jeans on an album cover... today? Britney Spears is singing about threesomes and pre-pubescent girls are singing along trying to mimic the dance moves. Western society is setting our younger generations up to fail. Couple that with parents who have to hold down multiple jobs to just put food on the table making them too exhausted to be active parents and you have a whole new generation of kids growing up without supervision looking towards the media for what they should be doing and the media says: sex! drugs! alcohol! Which makes me have an issue with BIF at least up through the first two chapters, the author has made it seem like it's OK for these kids to be smoking, drinking and driving, and having sex. Nice message to have in a YA novel. Even if there is a great moral to the story, a lot of kids don't take the time to look past the obvious and so they're seeing green lights that they should be doing these things.
twj:  i understand why you feel the way you do but i had the opposite feeling. i didn't think the author was trying to send the message that it was okay to drink smoke and have sex, etc. i thought that she was using this story to discourage that message. i haven't finished the book yet, since i am following the chapter assignments, but judging from the way Sam has begun to evolve, i think her ultimate message may be the opposite. presenting this kind of a story with all the tragic ramifications and inner thoughts, might do more to discourage that kind of irresponsible behavior than to encourage it.

edited by twj...

LIL wrote: The parents never revolted because many of them never graduated high school, let alone went to college. They didn't know any better. The teachers and the education was there if you worked for it, and those that cared did and so therefore their parents didn't complain. I remember being told by my teacher I should drop her class and take philosophy where I would actually learn something, and that she was sad to see me go since I would have been the ONLY student in class who did their homework and participated and she would rather suffer through with the delinquents alone so that I could be in an English class where I would be challenged by those around me. It has made me realize that a large portion of education needs to be done OUTSIDE of school by parents and I will definitely make sure to supplement my children's educations to fill in any gaps the school system might leave behind.

twj:  did you continue your education? do you have children? you seem to have the right idea about offering more structure to kids. how do you think you can help them overcome this kind of "mean" girl behavior which crosses gender lines?

LIL wrote: I agree, but teachers can only do so much... especially at younger ages, if the love for education and learning is not being instilled at home the teacher's don't have a fighting chance in the classroom. It takes a village to raise a child, but that village can be sabotaged at home.

twj:  it doesn't even take a village. it takes someone with dedication who really cares and is not just providing lip service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Contributor
Griffin14

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress? Sam is the kind of girl that lives for her friends more than herself. She is a part of a small circle that gets away with murder because they can, so they continually push it.

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd? Sam goes along with her friends and does not attempt to stand out. She would rather be a sidekick than her own hero. She tries to have what the others have with their boyfriends, even though she is not 100% sure about her boyfriend.  

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect? Lindsay does not talk about her first time with a guy, which seems to be the only moment she was not in complete control. Elody has a drunk for a mother and is heading down that road. Ally does not eat much and portrays the perfect image.

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her? I think that Lindsay craves the attention even though she does want drama, it seems to get created around her. I think there are pieces that she keeps hidden from everyone that she feels inside.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her? That as soon as she had the chance to be popular, nothing else mattered. She lost herself being like her friends.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again? I think that she is seemingly close to Lindsay, and she should confide in someone. I would start to talk to Lindsay and see how the conversation goes.

Contributor
BaseballMomma

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

Sam is a popular girl at school who seems shallow and self-absorbed. She really only cares about her friends and Rob. All we really see of her family is her little sister, Izzy. Izzy seems like the typical little sister that looks up to her big sister and just wants to be around her, but Sam has no time or patience for her.

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?

I don't think Sam really does fit in with this crowd. She even says herself that out of the four girls, she sometimes feels left out like she doesn't belong with them. It's interesting to see how she treats and talks to others, but on the inside she really is just a big ball of insecurity.

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?

Um, no. She might want "no more drama", but that girl creates it every where she goes!

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

It definitely gives more insight into what kind of person she really is and who she used to be. Part of Sam knows he can see through her and that adds to her insecurity. You can tell that he will have an impact on her as the story goes on.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?

Of all her friends, it would have to be Kent. But at the same time I don't think I could confide in anyone. It would be too long a story to have to repeat day after day, lol. I think it would also change things that shouldn't be changed, so I would just keep it to myself. Sam definitely has a hard time with that in the beginning.

Contributor
cynthial11

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress? While reading the first two chapters I thought Sam was one of those shallow girls that only cares about popularity and what will people say and think if she didn't act the way her friends acted. But I also thought that deep down she was not like the other girls and didn't want to act mean but was under a lot of peer pressure.

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?

I thought she tried hard to fit in but was not really that way, I thought she was just going along because everybody else did it too.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect? yes, they all have little hidden secrets that they don't want anyone else to know or even talk about with their closest friends.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?

I thought she secretly missed her friendship with Kent and wished that things were the way they used to be. Kent seemed to be very smart and he really knew she wasn't  that mean girl that she made everybody else see.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again? yes, I think I would have to tell someone otherwise I would have gone crazy. I think she could've told Kent and I'm sure that he would have believed her or at least gone along with it to make her feel better.

B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?

Sam is self-absorbed and oblivious to anyone who doesn't belong in her circle of popularity. We know she has a little sister who seems to annoy her, though I think she is endeared by her as well. We don't know much about her parents. In the second chapter, we start to see more of the real Sam—the one who isn't trying so hard to fit in. She says in Chapter 2 "In that second all of the work I'd done to fit in vanished. Everything is different now. I'm different."  We start to see a change in the way she thinks, although it does not change the way she treats other people. I think this is why her day ends up the same way it did as the first day she died.  

She doesn't seem like she truly belongs; she has to try too hard. However, we don't know what the other girls are thinking, so for all we know, they may not really fit in either.

Do we learn things about each Lindsay, Ally and Elody that make them individual and not so cookie-cutter perfect?

There are a couple of little things we know that make them distinguishable. Lindsay is the gorgeous leader who they all follow. Ally is the rich one who has everything. Elody is the experienced one who has already had sex with a couple of boys. They are not cookie-cutter perfect, but they don't seem to have much of their own identities either.

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?

I'm not familiar with this song, so I don't really have anything to go on here. Based on the title, I think maybe this is irony, because Lindsay is so dramatic. That, or we don't really know her yet, and choosing this as her theme song may be very telling.

It pretty much sums up what's important to her. Kent seems like a really nice all-around guy who she had no reason to stop being friends with. So far, all we've seen is how well they got along, and they didn't go their separate ways on bad terms. He just wasn't cool enough. However, the fact that they still have enough of a relationship for him to send her a Valogram makes me feel like there is a bit of the real Sam that hasn't been affected by popularity...enough for her to change.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?

That's an extremely tough question. I'm sure I would question my sanity, the way Sam did, and confiding in someone might just jumpstart a whole new set of problems. On the other hand, I would feel so much better getting it off my chest. I don't think any in the group would understand, but to confess this to someone outside of the group could be reputation suicide. So I would probably keep quiet about the whole thing...at least for now.

Contributor
TatyyGirl

i'm definitely enjoying reading everyones opinion and it makes me feel interesting knowing that some of us share the same opinion. Sam is definitely the type of girl that I dislike at my school, she represents seemingly everything that makes me cringe. Though there is a few moments in the first two chapters where I kind of feel bad for her, I'm mainly full of a sad, familiar dislike of her, which would mean that Lauren Oliver has accomplished just what she wanted to accomplish :] (See her post on the boards)

Scribe
DSaff

absolutely! :smileywink:

bookrooted wrote:

does anyone else think that if the four girls (Elody, Sam, Ally, and Lindsay) weren't as mean or cruel, that if they were just themselves they could be genuinely nice people and all still be friends?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader 4
CarolinaBookworm

What kind of person is Sam? What do we know about her family? Do we learn anything surprising about her as these first two chapters progress?  Sam is a shallow, self-centered teenager trying to do all she can to fit in and be a part of the popular crowd.  Her sister is the main member of her family that we see in the first couple of chapters and the way Sam treats her is disheartening.

She and her friends go to great effort to fit in perfectly. How does Sam really fit in with this crowd?  Sam seems to only fit in with the popular crowd because she follows Lindsey's lead as she seems to be the instigator. 

Lindsay's self proclaimed "theme song" is "No More Drama" by Mary J. Blige. Does this fit her?  The song doesn't really fit Lindsey's persona as she seems to incite drama.

What does Sam's longstanding--although estranged--friendship with Kent tell you about her?  Sam wasn't always a part of the popular crowd and Kent is probably one of the only people to know the "real Sam" and continues to try to be her friend regardless.

If you were Sam, do you think there is one friend you would confide in when you woke up to start Friday the 12th over again?  No, I'd be hesitant to tell anyone because they would probably think I was crazy.  She had to feel very alone and wondering what in the world was going on.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

TatyyGirl wrote:

i'm definitely enjoying reading everyones opinion and it makes me feel interesting knowing that some of us share the same opinion. Sam is definitely the type of girl that I dislike at my school, she represents seemingly everything that makes me cringe. Though there is a few moments in the first two chapters where I kind of feel bad for her, I'm mainly full of a sad, familiar dislike of her, which would mean that Lauren Oliver has accomplished just what she wanted to accomplish :] (See her post on the boards)

Good analysis ..Lauren has accomplised much.Going on to Chapter 4,.Will be  interesting posts next week..Lauren joining us..Then we can really ask her just about anything..My favorite part of FL...Welcome TatyGirl..  Vtc....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
mgarrison

From the first moment I started reading the book, I didn't think that I would like Sam at all... After reading a little further, however, I am starting to see that Sam is just lost and confused.  Her friends remind of me of so many girls that I went to school with that seemed perfect on the outside, but there was always something missing in their lives.  I feel like Sam's friends are going to have a lot to offer Sam in the end.  I have no idea what to think about Sam's family... They don't seem to care that much, or if they do they have no idea what their daughter is all about.  I am looking forward to finding out more aobut Sam and her friends...

Contributor
mgarrison

I also feel very sorry for Sam.  I think she is finally starting to see that she doesn't fully fit in with her friends but doesn't really know how to change things... She sees her life as superficial, but she doesn't know how to change the things around her.  She knows the way she treats Juliet is wrong, but going along with the crowd is easier than leading against them. 

Contributor
kherbrand

What kind of person is Sam?

I definitely think Sam is a follower in the group - and I think part of the reason is because she doesn't want to be the recipient of Lindsay's "meanness".  She was so excited when Lindsay started talking to her that she didn't really care that she was hurting someone else.

I think that they all try very hard to fit in because they know they could all be what they consider social outcasts because of those things they try to hide - that don't make them so cookie-cutter perfect.

I am not sure about Sam and Kent's friendship.  She seems jealous when she first walks into his party and he doesn't notice or pay any attention to her, but seems to be bothered when he is around.  It is almost like she needs him to be in the background for her so that she knows there is someone out there who likes her.  (I think she was secretly flattered that he remembered her favorite song when she was 7. . .)

Some people have said they were upset with Sam for taking the whole day to figure out she was reliving the first one - I have to disagree - I think she realized very early that the day was being repeated, but didn't know what to make of it - I mean, really - how many of us have lived a day over (I know there are a few I would like to do over) - so if this were to happen, I think we would try to convince ourselves that there were other explanations for it and that we were really not reliving it.  At this point in the story I am not sure who she could tell. 

I have to make a comment about Juliet - I want to know what is going on with her that made her clean up, come to the party, and take a stand!