Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Before I Fall, Last Chapter and Whole Novel

Please share your thoughts and questions on the whole novel in this thread! All spoilers are welcome.

What, if anything surprises you about Sam's last chapter, and last February 12th? Is this the ending you would have given the novel? Does it upset you or do you find it in any way a satisfying--if not happy--ending?

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Re: Before I Fall, Last Chapter and Whole Novel

I'm not sure I was surprised by anything in the last chapter. Acceptance was setting in for Sam and for myself. Strange how as Sam was accepting her fate by this time, I was accepting the fact she wasn't going to live.

Contributor
JennM14
0 Kudos

At first I was upset about how things ended, mostly because I am a happy ending kinda person.  But really I know it had to end this way. 

I am, however left to wonder about poor Juliet now.  I'm afraid that she will have trouble with 'survivor's guilt' and maybe even be blamed for Sam's death by the popular kids and be treated even worse for it.  I also wonder if people will believe, due to Sam's very different behavior that last, last day and how she died, that she committed suicide.   Ugh that opens up a whole 'nother set of things/people to worry about LOL

I'll admit I had a really hard time getting into this book, but I am glad I stuck with it.  It has effected me and the way I look at/think about things.  I will (and have been) suggest this book to others.

Frequent Contributor
quiltedturtle1
0 Kudos

What, if anything surprises you about Sam's last chapter, and last February 12th? Is this the ending you would have given the novel? Does it upset you or do you find it in any way a satisfying--if not happy--ending?

I think in the back of my mind there was the thought that if she actually changed, she could stop her death. However, in thinking about it further, her sacrifice at the end was the way it should end. I agree with what Zia01 said, "Acceptance was setting in for Sam and for myself. Strange how as Sam was accepting her fate by this time, I was accepting the fact she wasn't going to live."

Scribe
DSaff

I really enjoyed reading this book and kept to the schedule until the last chapter. No, it doesn't bother me that she died. I cried and felt bad for her friends and family, but she was going to die. This gave her life meaning. I loved how she grew up enough to recognize, and change, some of the things about herself; things that had very little effect on the outcome, but lots on those left behind.

I hope that many people, teens and adults alike, will read this book and learn from it. There are powerful messages of friendship, love, underage drinking/sex, bullying, etc. that could help change some attitudes. I, for one, will be buying a copy or two to pass along. Thanks for the opportunity to read this!  :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

Sam has matured much in each successive day; but if she were to survive, would these have been changes or just good intentions.  I agree with you that she has seen where she needs to make changes.  I wonder if her closest "friends"  will perceive and accept this knowledge that she has shown them.  I feel that they are too concerned with popularity to change.  I would hope that you are more accurate than I am.
But I totally agree with you that the lessons in BIF will provide guidance to young adult readers and help them navigate through these tough years.  You also make a good point about their being messages for us adults - both young and old.
DStaff, I always find your insights help me formulate my thoughts about our readings.  -  I also want to thank Paul, Rita, authors, all others involved and Barnes and Noble for the opportunity to participate in FL.
DSaff wrote:

... I loved how she grew up enough to recognize, and change, some of the things about herself; things that had very little effect on the outcome, but lots on those left behind.

I hope that many people, teens and adults alike, will read this book and learn from it. There are powerful messages of friendship, love, underage drinking/sex, bullying, etc. that could help change some attitudes. I, for one, will be buying a copy or two to pass along. Thanks for the opportunity to read this!  :smileyhappy:

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
alexia561
0 Kudos

While I understand that the book had to end the way that it did, I think I was secretly hoping that Sam would wake up the next day and have a happily ever after with Kent.

Like Jemm mentioned, I'm a little worried about Juliet. Will this make her even more of an outcast with people blaming her for Sam's death? Or will she recognize the second chance she's been given and move forward? Hoping that no one will think Sam commited suicide, which didn't even occur to me until someone else mentioned it.

Thought that this was a very moving book, and true to life as well. I still remember how cruel high school was, and wouldn't want to relive a single day of being a teenager!

Lauren Oliver is an amazing writer!

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

I always thought the novel would end in something like this, Sam would have to learn that the only solution was for her to die and NOT to cheat Dead. 

I was surprised how everything happened and I wanted to get to the end so badly I had to go back for a lil bit to actually understand what was was going on , however when Sam starts talking about dead and how everything is working I believe was a perfect way to start talking about the transition of life and dead, so when the moment actually arrived you are left with the question of what will happen after dead, which just leaves you with the thought of what happens after dead , I guess we all must find out, it was smart to end the book this way because that way the book leaves the threads open about what is going to happen with Sam and how will her destiny be but I guess we ll never know that. I did not find it upsetting the way the book ended, I was happy for Sam because even if she was now dead she had reflected and learnt so much from the experience that now Sam saw dead just as another road, nothing to be scared of. But the thing was that now Sam knew she was good and a nice person and someone who would be remembered because of the things she did which is why she felt satisfaction at the end of the book.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Contributor
fronkster
0 Kudos

I can never keep to the reading shedcule, so when I got this book and started reading it, it seemed like a really good story. By the time I got the second or third chapter I was hooked. Everything I was supposed to do that day left my mind and I was reading this book like crazy. I finished it that same day. It was an amazing book! I hated the end but I knew it needed to end that way, I just didn't want it to. I sobbed at the end. I just wish I knew what happened to the rest of characters. The book was supposed to be about her so It doesnt matter what happened to her family or friends. I just like a loose ends tied up. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend this book. Actually I already have, but I will keep doing it!

Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

For me while reading I was still hanging on to the idea that she was going to live. Get a second chance at life and try and change everyone else's lives as well. But I'm glad that she got to save a life, even though it was not her own life. The ending made me cry. Just like I did when I read The Book Thief.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Contributor
kherbrand
0 Kudos

I like when Sam realizes that even when she tries to change something for the better, that ultimately we are all responsible for our own decisions (Sarah being late for school and losing the parking spot because she had to go to Starbucks - so even after Sam 'delays' going to school, she still doesn't help Sarah)

I was satisfied with this ending - though I found it bittersweet.  Sam had changed and learned so much, I wanted her to have the chance to experience a different life - and I felt especially sorry for Kent - just when he had the promise of Sam, she was gone. . .

Correspondent
meme1

I wonder about the significance of the number of days that Sam relives - seven.  Is there a religious reference to it - seven days to create the world, seven days to create a new "Sam"?:smileysurprised: 

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I guess I am being an eternal optimist.  Thank you for your very kind words, meme. I love these groups and the discussions. It is so easy to learn from everyone.   :smileyhappy:

meme1 wrote:

Sam has matured much in each successive day; but if she were to survive, would these have been changes or just good intentions.  I agree with you that she has seen where she needs to make changes.  I wonder if her closest "friends"  will perceive and accept this knowledge that she has shown them.  I feel that they are too concerned with popularity to change.  I would hope that you are more accurate than I am.
DSaff, I always find your insights help me formulate my thoughts about our readings.  -  I also want to thank Paul, Rita, authors, all others involved and Barnes and Noble for the opportunity to participate in FL.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Good point! Also, Sam fought hard for six days and on the seventh, she stopped fighting. Sam could finally rest.

meme1 wrote:

I wonder about the significance of the number of days that Sam relives - seven.  Is there a religious reference to it - seven days to create the world, seven days to create a new "Sam"?:smileysurprised: 

Contributor
AdrienneElizabeth
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed Before I Fall! Even though Sam does die, the ending was really surprising but good. I was really happy that she saved Juliet's life but sad that her and kent couldn't be together. Aso, I just really liked all the changes she made that final day from what happened the first time around.

Contributor
stopper19
0 Kudos

On Sam's last day I knew that she was going to get everything right. She was learning who she really was and what she no longer wanted to be. She decided that she was going to give up her life for Juliet becasue she owes that much to her. She basically ruined Juliet's life and the only way to fix it was to save her before she jumped infront of the car. At first I was kind of upset about the ending when Sam died for Juliet. It made me think that her realtionship with Kent was pointless and that all of the work she went through to fix herself didn't even matter because she died anyways. I was expecting her and Juliet to both live but all books don't always have happy endings and I admire that. I think that Before I Fall was overall an amzing book. The whole idea of the book was so creative and I could not stop reading the book and I would recommend it to anyone.

Frequent Contributor
Rebz
0 Kudos

I kind of saw, or at least tried to envision what would happen in the last chapter throughout the entire novel and while I wasn't really surprised by anything that happened, I was still very pleased with it.  I like the fact that the author chose to make Sam have to die at the end instead of a kind of la-dee-da everyone lives and has a happy ending.  It was happy though, in a different way, Sam became "enlightened" and everyone had their lives saved, hearts saved, among other things. Everyone was saved in a way....which I really liked.

-Becca
Correspondent
SpunkiiReader

Although we start off the book learning that Sam is going to die, I still had hope that she would live in the end. I hoped that I would turn the page and she would be waking up in the hospital on Feb. 13th.  But at the same time if she did live would her death the fist day have been punishment for the way she had lived her life, that the only way she could live is if she changed?  (just a random thought)  I love that she put her last day for others, she was no longer thinking about herself but for those she was leaving behind. She hugged her mom and dad and told them she loved them when that probably hasn't happened in like 5 years. I loved that she gave Izzy the necklace since she couldnt take her to goose point and spent the time with her like she did before.  In the end I love this book (Sam's death and all)!

Contributor
horsefreak13
0 Kudos

The ending to this book surprised me a little bit but, not as much as it did other people. When Sam died, I had a couple questions about what happened to everyone else. Like what happened to Juliet? Did she end up trying to kill herself again or did she change her mind? What happened to Kent? What were his emotions? Also what happened to all of Sam's friends and what were their emotions? The ending was satisfying to me even though that may sound mean. I thought that it fit the books story and I really liked it! I'm so glad I read this book! It has opened me to new books that I want to read!

Thanks again!

horsefreak13:smileyhappy:

Contributor
dbug_13
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed reading this book, not only because it was entertaining, but also because it was thought provoking. When I read about Sam's many chances to "redo" February 12th, it made me think about what I would do in her position and what I might do differently in my life if I had to relive the same day multiple times. I was still hoping when I began chapter seven that Sam would find redemption and continue on with her life, but the ending is one that is suitable for the book. Now I see that it couldn't really have ended any other way. Sam was able to save Juliet and leave her life behind knowing that she was a better person than she was on the first February 12th. Her actions helped many people, and she was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to right the wrongs she had made, whether intentionally or inadvertently, in her life thus far. Again, I really loved reading this book. Thanks to everyone who made this Teen First Look session possible!