Frequent Contributor
GReba
0 Kudos

Re: Before I Fall, Middle Chapters, 3-4

What are Sam's new stunts to change the outcome of her day, and what effect do her actions have? Are you shocked by her "nothing matters" attitude? Do you think this new risk-it-all behavior is more questionable than Sam's "normal" behavior?  Well, yes...this behavior is more questionable...I mean we should always think things matter, otherwise what is the point of doing it?  The problem is, Sam is trying to understand what is happening to her and thinks at this point she is simply stuck in an endless loop of time.  It doesn't dawn on her that there is a way out of her current state and what she must do to get there.

Are any of the other characters changing as Sam changes in these chapters? Do Ally, Elody, Lindsay or any of the school kids Sam has always ignored seem more genuine or different in response to Sam's new (sometimes bizarre) behavior?  At this point, maybe a little, but not completely.  I mean, they are dealing with a "new" Sam and so they are as confused as she is almost.  They are not quite sure what to make of her and her actions which of course leads to the confrontations they end up having.

Is Sam learning anything at all as we go through each of these February 12ths, or is she just floundering in new and more awful directions with every attempt to do something different? Is Sam's basic nature changing?  Are there ways that she is either building character (an old fashioned phrase!) or revealing her true self? Which, if any of these, seems true for you in these chapters?  Having already finished the book...this is hard to answer.  As I posted earlier...I was REALLY hoping her character in general would grow.  The hardcore focus on who's in and who's not PLUS sex was really putting a damper on my caring about Sam and her friends.  Does she grow?  YES.  Is she floundering still?  Yes...but who isn't?  She's in an uncertain situation, unable to know if she can change the eventual outcome of the events that started it in the first place.  Yeah, I'd have to say I think most of us would be lost for a few re-do's at the very least.  I think the glimpses we catch of Sam with her family and oldest friends is the truly TRUE Sam.  The one that hides beneath the layers, afraid to show her true colors to the general population.

How do you like the other kids Sam hangs out with in these chapters?  I love the diversity of characters that the author included.  You get a glimpse at the popular, the smart, the jock, the outcast, the artsy...and something in-between.  There is a character that each reader can relate to on a more personal level.

Frequent Contributor
michaela27
0 Kudos

On day 3, Sam still has hope and tries to stop the accident from happening.  She's starting to realize how wrong her behavior is.  But when they find out about Juliet, and when she wakes up again the next day and its still February 12, i think she loses hope.  Thats why I'm not surprised by her crazy behavior on day 4. she knew it would all be forgotten the next day and she would have to relive the day yet again, so she decided to just stop caring and push the limits.  Even thought everything she did was completely wrong, i still thought it was pretty exciting to read lol.

I think we see that while her friends may not be the best people, they are truly her friends.  Lindsay agrees not to go to the party cuz she sees that Sam really doesnt want to. 

I think she is learning things.  she is realizing how her behavior affects people.  she kinda falls of the band wagon in chapter 4, but thats just cuz she lost hope.  i think anyone would go crazy living the same day over and over.

I think the other kids she hangs out with arent so bad.  they all have thier issues, but their no worse than sams friends.

Frequent Contributor
ethel55
0 Kudos

What are Sam's new stunts to change the outcome of her day, and what effect do her actions have? Are you shocked by her "nothing matters" attitude? Do you think this new risk-it-all behavior is more questionable than Sam's "normal" behavior?

Sam is really angry now...almost like going through the stages of grief.  Because she realizes she re-living the same day, it's almost like she feels there are no consequences to her actions. Look at her interplay with Mr. Daimler in Ch.4.  That type of behavior would normally have huge consequences.

Are any of the other characters changing as Sam changes in these chapters? Do Ally, Elody, Lindsay or any of the school kids Sam has always ignored seem seem more genuine or different in response to Sam's new (sometimes bizarre) behavior?

It's interesting that Sam spends time with a "loser" like Katie and enjoys it and finds relevance in their conversation. (the architecture connection)

How do you like the other kids Sam hangs out with in these chapters?

I liked Katie, I think that interaction will help Sam figure out that not everyone else is "less good" than she and her friends.  Kent continues to be a great character...what a wonderful scene at the end of Ch. 4.  You can sense that Sam is softening and maybe trying to figure out how to make each of these "last" days last longer.

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

I think Sam is trying to change the outcome of the day for her own sake but in doing so she makes things much worse for both her and others. I am not liking her actions even though I am not surprised by them. She seems to be taking the hard route in life. I keep waiting for her to open her eyes and realize her mistakes.

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

While I understand why Sam acts the way she does in chapters 3 & 4 (who wouldn't on some level when you know all that's going to happen is you get to do the same day over again tomorrow and no one else is the wiser), she still annoys the heck out of me. It wasn't until chapter 5 that I finally LIKED Sam.

It also wasn't until the end of Chapter 5/beginning of chapter 6 that I got sucked in to BIF either, now I actually want to know what happens in the end.

While some aspects of the storyline read like one of the countless clichéd CW tween dramas, there are flashes of brilliance.

I don't think Sam really learns anything until Chapter 5 - in these middle chapters I feel like she's just testing the waters like a toddler, seeing how much she can get away with without even thinking about the consequences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Frequent Contributor
vpenning

Is Sam learning anything at all as we go through each of these February 12ths, or is she just floundering in new and more awful directions with every attempt to do something different? Is Sam's basic nature changing?  Are there ways that she is either building character (an old fashioned phrase!) or revealing her true self? Which, if any of these, seems true for you in these chapters?

I do think Sam is changing in these chapters. I think that like anyone who goes through the stages of grieve, one makes changes. In addition, seeing herself relive the same day over and over again allows Sam to reflect on the things she has done, and the outcomes of various choices.

For instance, she reveals that she drew a line in the door to keep her mother out, but now, she is beginning to regret it. This shows that Sam has realized how petty and shallow she was, and also reveals that she is looking at the incident from the side of her mother as well. In addition, Sam  chooses not to Let Alex and Katie see her so that he won't get into trouble later. Knowing she has not particular feelings at this point for Katie, and her actually not approving of Alex's cheating behavior, this move by Sam shows she is thinking about others.  Later, in chapter 4, Sam literally gets to walk in the boots of Katie to see the life of another person. Because of this, she begins to  realize that other people have worth-even those that she never gave more than a mean thought to before.

But, right now, she is still very selfish. Despite realizing that her copying of the page of Lauren gets Lauren into trouble, Sam does not speak up; instead, she walks away. In addition, she is more concerned about saving her life than changing the things she has done to affect others lives. (I find it interesting that she has not once question whether anyone else died in the crash) She also, in Chpt. 3 is very mean to Elody, and not seeming to regret it. And, in Chpt. 4, instead of trying to stop the taunts to Juliet, she runs away and tries to block them out.

Sam says that it is fun to know you can get away with anything. Is being the cause of Juliet's despondence "getting away with it?" Or is it realizing that Juliet committed suicide after folks were cruel to her something that is making Sam look more closely at herself? I believe that it not only is making Sam look more closely at herself, but at others around her...including Lindsey.

In chapter 4, Sam's anger makes me feel as if she is going through the stages of grieve. In this case, grieve over her own death. The other stage,  disbelieve, and denial,  we saw in the previous chapters. Now, total anger. Having a devil may care attitude is just part of that grieving process.

Frequent Contributor
Rebz
0 Kudos

What are Sam's new stunts to change the outcome of her day, and what effect do her actions have? Are you shocked by her "nothing matters" attitude? Do you think this new risk-it-all behavior is more questionable than Sam's "normal" behavior?

Sam just doesn't care anymore.  She knows that nothing is going to change and that nothing she does will change her "fate".  She will still wake up and have to re-live the day again.  I'm not really shocked by this, because if I were in Sam's position, I would probably do the same thing. I would be confused and try every little thing to change the way the day goes. And I would probably get frustrated and not care either and that that "nothing matters".  Is this new behavior more questionable...I don't think so. I think if anything its more understandable.  But she is intentionally hurting people, which does make it worse in ways.

Are any of the other characters changing as Sam changes in these chapters? Do Ally, Elody, Lindsay or any of the school kids Sam has always ignored seem seem more genuine or different in response to Sam's new (sometimes bizarre) behavior?

I think that the characters aren't really changing, but you get to see different sides of them in response to Sam's new behavior, such as with Lindsay, you get to see a more "motherly" type in a way.  Sam is also sseing these differences in behavior or character and is starting to realize that Lindsay is the leader and Ally and Elody are the followers.  I think that for the most part, most of the characters response to Sam's behavior have genuine reactions, especially those whom Sam previously ignored.

Is Sam learning anything at all as we go through each of these February 12ths, or is she just floundering in new and more awful directions with every attempt to do something different? Is Sam's basic nature changing?  Are there ways that she is either building character (an old fashioned phrase!) or revealing her true self? Which, if any of these, seems true for you in these chapters?

Sam does seem to be changing in a positive way. She's not making the right decisions by any standard, but she does make decisions and anticipates the result. She realizes that her decisions can influence the way that the day ends, now she just needs to channel it into something good.  I think in this way, Sam's true self is really starting to come out.

I absolutely ADORE the Sam's new "friends". I think that these are the type of friends Sam should have, the kids that everyone else ignores.  I think that they show us more about Sam and Sam's character than Sam does herself.

-Becca
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31

I think in the third day Sam is still kinda hoping that if she changes some things she will probably survive without anything happening which is why the third day she just hangs with her friends, tries to be nicier than before but she still believes she can change the situation but after that... the fourth day arrives and that is when she realizes it may not change at all. There is a part in the chapter where she says she can go in car through the U.S. instead of going to school , which means that she is now not caring so much about repeating the days. The way she acts on the second day is just not care about anything try and go beyond the boundaries she would usually have and see how would it feel to be the girl without boundaries without caring.  The way she yells at Lindsays and the way she hangs with new friends and even makes out with her professor clearly show she now does not care about boundaries and is willing to do whatever she wants in order to prove the situation and live without risks, for me that is the objective of the fourth day. I haven't read chapter 5 but my prediction is: I think that she now will wake up with Kent and her whole day will not repeat she will just continue living but now she will have to work with all the things she did however I really dont know what will happen.

I don't think the characters besides Sam friends change. From my point of view when Sam talks to the people she made fun of they are surprised first of all she is not making fun of them and second of all that she is noticing them. It's like Sam has gone through high school making fun of people but never actually getting to know them or a sign that they exist. So when Sam decides to step out of her bubble she discovers that all the people she used to make fun of may not be so mean as they seemed. So she starts expanding her horizons and starts searching for new friendships. However from my point of view the only reason she decides to hang out and meet new people is because she has a rebellious situation with her friends which makes her go out and search for new friendships and that is when she goes like ohhhh There is a whole new world beyond my friends and they are real , and nice people . I think Sam has like a crash because she never expected for people to be nice I believe she thought they were either shy or totally mean like her friends.

I believe Sam has not shown her true self yet, even when she is with her new friends she is just trying to pose as what she used to be and tries to feel superior even though she is acting cool. She is not building character yet for me its like the first steps towards change of character. She is first getting to know her environment and exploring everything around her , learning who to mess with and who not to mess with. She is basicly exploring and trying to make a decision whether to continue her friendship with Lindsay or not. She currently is in Limbo, in an in between.

I loved the friends she went with to the mall , and the girl she meets in the bathroom (sorry I suck with names) they seemed real nice people , people who know everyone has their problems and are not afraid to help or talk with anyone without criticizing. They are really open minded and open people , seems the kind of people that even if they may look scary (drugs etc) they are really nice and down to earth.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Correspondent
GreenFairyLV
0 Kudos

Is Sam learning anything at all as we go through each of these February 12ths, or is she just floundering in new and more awful directions with every attempt to do something different?

The only thing she seems to be learning is how to place blame for her horrible behavior on someone else.  She's not owning it, she not becoming deep.  Not to me anyway, not yet.  I still don't like her.  I'm still reading chapter 4 though. 

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

From my point of view Sam is trying to play the girl she has always been but a deep transformation is going inside her, she is beginning to wonder whether the way she is is ok or not. And even though on the outside it may seem she is only doing it because of her fight with Lindsay I do believe she is trying to change , then again things become clearer at the end of chapter 4 :smileytongue:

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Contributor
bookcrazyme

[ Edited ]

Sam's new stunts are chiefly the result of her gaining the knowledge that no matter what she does, it will all be erased- a clean slate-by the end of the day. It comes from the recklessness of knowing that you will ultimately not be held responsible for your actions. Were I in her shoes, I would do the same. I would have done things I'd never have dreamt of doing before, because at midnight, everything will rewind and no one will remember. Except yourself. So, I'm not shocked by her "nothing matters" attitude because in Sam's eyes, at this point in the story, there is nothing she can do. She seems to be stuck in this "rut" of sorts wherein no matter what she does-kill a person, kiss a teacher, fight with a friend, destroy, mock, taunt, whatever-it doesn't matter, because tomorrow will never come and she will wake up back in her own bed with nobody the wiser about her antics the "previous" day. I think she's channeling her rage and frustration and inability to change the endlessly looping February 12 through her "nothing matters" attitude. No, this behavior isn't more questionable. I think it's natural, given the circumstances she was in. 

I don't think the characters necessarily changed; rather, Sam begins to see them in a different light. Before her accident, Sam lived in a bubble of sorts; enclosed and surrounded by her friends and boyfriend. In a sense she had a blindfold over her eyes, and saw others by their stereotype, and their stereotype alone. Kent was a nerd, Katie Carjullo was a gangster type, etc. Then, Sam slowly begins to change; she realizes that Kent isn't a nerd. He's a sweet boy who's always cared for her, and who stepped back and watched as she changed; went from being a social outcast to the top dog; he watched and hoped in his heart that one day she might see through the glamour of popularity and become the girl she once was. This, Sam discovered as she relives the party over and over again, and realizes that in a way, Kent had always been there for her. I think her classmates seem more genuine. For one, in the "life" where Sam fights with Lindsay, she sheds the assumption she's always held that Lindsay was the best. She saw that Lindsay was extremely flawed, but then comes to love Lindsay for all her faults.

Sam is definitely learning as she goes through each February 12th. Indeed, she is floundering in more awful directions, but as she does she gains valuable insight. For example, the one day when she dresses inappropriately and kisses Mr. Daimler, I was horrified beyond belief, but at the same time, she realizes that her teacher isn't all that great at all-and this realization I was delighted to read. It seems to me that her true self reveals itself the most when she is with Kent. Kent, I think, brings back old childhood memories when she lived with no pretensions and no pressure to be "cool".

The other kids that Sam hangs out with were all mentioned before in the first chapter, before Sam goes through her first accident. In the first chapter, they seemed cardboard in their stereotypes. However, in these chapters, the girls that Sam goes with to the mall shed at least some of their stereotypes- for me, anyways. I came to like them because it's clear that they're just eager to be friends with Sam. For her popularity or just for her personality, though, I'm not too sure. And Katie Carjullo- I came to sympathize with her, despite that she is together with a guy that already has a girlfriend.

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

At first she wakes up late. She is thinking it is the next day. Then she sees it is Feb. 12th again. She thinks she is having a bad case of deja vu or that she had a really real bad dream. It is the logical explanation after all. Then she realizes that she really is repeating her day over. She is frustrated and I can't say I blame her. She learned more about herself and the people she knew at Kent's party than she wanted too and she had to relive the same day learning more and more about everyone. All she wanted was to live the next day. With that said I am not shocked about her nothing matters attitude. Why should she care about what she does when she is just going to repeat the same day again and her actions will not have consequences. I think she learned some important life lessons in those careless acts. I was surprised that she became meaner than her normal behavior.

I do not think that the characters are changing as Sam changes. I think the react differently to Sam's actions. It made me see that the girls friendship is strong and real. At first I thought that they were just using Sam for a "friend" they can make fun of or something mean like that.

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

I think Sam's behavior in Chapter 4 is understandable. She's figured out that she has to relive the day she dies over and over again with no idea if this is eternity for her. I'd be ticked off, too.

I thought it was interesting that Sam gets a taste of what it's like to be Lindsay when she's with the Pugs (love that name!). I also like that she and Kent seem to be connecting like they used to. I loved the scene with Katie in the bathroom. I think that opened Sam's eyes as much as anything, and maybe that's when she really starts to build character. I think she has a foot in each world. She loves being popular and genuinely loves her three best friends, but I think that part of her that sympathizes with those who aren't popular is waking up again.

In Chapter 3, Sam's still floundering, but she does try to stop her death by convincing her friends to skip the party. Makes perfect sense.

And I love Kent.

Contributor
horsefreak13
0 Kudos

Sam's actions definitely changed in these chapters. At first she's trying to make everything better and then it's like she doesn't even care anymore. She's very moody too. She goes from one mood to the next and it can get confusing on which mood she is in. The characters the Sam hangs out with can be rude and mean to nice and sweet. For instance, her three friends ally, elody and lindsay are not the best people to be hanging out with. But, then kent is so nice to Sam when she's trying to get rid of him.

Contributor
CajunBookLady
0 Kudos

I think that the other character's are responding with that disbelief thing. Because really who trys to change that much? The popular kids never do so I think that the characters act appropriatley.

I think she's confused! but that's okay...I think that sometimes she wants to truly change things but it's not in her nature to stand up for what's right just whats popular. But...I do think she's trying

I think they're normal LOL

Correspondent
Tenrbe
0 Kudos

It seems to me that each time Sam relives the day, it's almost like she's going through the different stages of grief, except with a few changes. Denial, anger, apathy, just to name a few. I think her behavior shows that she was ignorant to who everyone really was. When she's not constantly worrying about keeping up her image and reputation, she becomes bold enough to talk to people she would have never would have even been seen with. She definitely wasn't expecting the reactions from people that she got. This affects how she relives the next day now that she's opened her eyes to new ideas.

Frequent Contributor
blue2280

Day 4 is a turning point in the book. While it may be a chaotic mess in terms of what Sam chooses to do, it is a day where she manages to rip off all the masks that are being worn by everyone around her and reveal the true people that exist beneath those masks. It is a strong chapter in character development for a lot of the cast, but especially for Sam as it does contain a lot of self realizations for her.

What we learn in Chapter 4:

1) If anyone confronts Lindsey for being anything less than perfect, as in, calling her a bitch, or dissing her driving ability, it is reason enough to be dumped from her inner circle for the day (maybe longer, but we can never know this) and left out of the group. Even the other two girls make no attempt to contact Sam during the day. Why? If they were all friends then why automatically take Lindsey’s side? The answer is because they too are afraid of what would happen to confront Lindsey. They will still choose Lindsey over Sam even if Sam is the better person. We also see Lindsey’s domination when Katie and Sam are in the bathroom and Katie asks why do *they* hate her so much? Sam doesn’t know how to answer this and realizes she doesn’t hate Katie. She just goes along because Lindsey hates Katie, but for no apparent reason other than it is just Lindsey. This leads to observation #2.

2) We learn how deep Lindsey’s insecurities really run. We know Lindsey is not perfect. We learn in the back story at the Mexican restaurant about the truth of Lindsey’s’ first time. We also learn that Sam found her puking in the bathroom afterwards. We know that Lindsey does not consider this her first time and that it is taboo to talk about, even in a group that would be considered her closest friends? True friends embrace each other for who they are, including their faults, they don’t choose to ignore them, especially in the case where help may be needed, like Lindsey’s bulimia. The problem with Lindsey is that she has no other solution to her problems other than running over people (which I think her driving is suppose to be representation of how she treats other people) and treat them like dirt. Sam makes the comment about how “you need to take things out on somebody.” And somehow this puts Lindsey at the top of the food chain, eat or be eaten, and Lindsey chooses to eat regardless if she is hungry or not.

3) Moving on, we learn that Mr.. Daimler is in fact the pervert that Kent thinks he is. But we also see how Sam reacts to his advances and that she doesn't at all like it. It wasn't what she expected. I suppose some thing are better fantasized about. But I, on another note, was really turned off by this scene and the book thinking really? Is it possible to make out with student between classes and not have anyone notice? I really don’t know, but it is once again an example of how lax this high school is. The morning of the 4th day Lindsey spends the morning cutting class. She talks about how teachers don’t stop her because they have no way of knowing if it is a free period or class was cancelled. What reality is this? In my experience, I have never heard of “free” periods in high school. Also, I have never heard of a cancelled class in high school either. This isn’t college. If the teacher doesn’t show up, then there is a substitute. I still find this environment hard to deal with, but I guess it makes the story telling easier?

4) We finally see something between Sam and Kent. This is where she really begins to realize how superficial her relationship with Rob is and how Kent treats her completely different, and it is a GOOD different. This is a relationship you root for, not one that is pressured because the two involved are popular and cool, and they are just trying to keep up. That will always self-distruct sooner or later, and I think that given the opportunity, Sam and Kent could have something very special.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Excellent point!  I never really thought about this, but it is very true!

GReba wrote:

How do you like the other kids Sam hangs out with in these chapters?  I love the diversity of characters that the author included.  You get a glimpse at the popular, the smart, the jock, the outcast, the artsy...and something in-between.  There is a character that each reader can relate to on a more personal level.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Stages of grief, very good point. At this point in the book I can see this. Explains how different she has lived each day. pen21

Tenrbe wrote:

It seems to me that each time Sam relives the day, it's almost like she's going through the different stages of grief, except with a few changes. Denial, anger, apathy, just to name a few. I think her behavior shows that she was ignorant to who everyone really was. When she's not constantly worrying about keeping up her image and reputation, she becomes bold enough to talk to people she would have never would have even been seen with. She definitely wasn't expecting the reactions from people that she got. This affects how she relives the next day now that she's opened her eyes to new ideas.

Contributor
mgarrison
0 Kudos

I just read the part when Sam made-out with her teacher!!  WOW!!  I never thought Sam's character would do something like that; I mean, I knew that she was messed up, but I thought she knew where your boundries were.  I am not liking the new Sam!!