Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Community Room

Please feel free to discuss what you like here.

What have you read lately? Tell us!

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

First, I just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire - an awesome read.  Looking forward to its sequel.

Second.  A couple or three months ago First Look ( I think) had a choice of a "romance" title.  I did not sign up for it and I don't remember the title.  Does anyone know the title?

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Favorite YA books

What young adult books and series do you all like to read?

I've been reading the Hunger Games series (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and a third due out September 2010) and they're very well done. I also like Harry Potter a lot (although the epilogue to the last one was a bit overdone and contrived, I thought). The Octavian Nothing books were great historical fiction, set around the time of the American Revolution. I've been looking at Leviathan in bookstores for a while and have it on request at the library.

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

I am new to the boards but I think Truly Madly was the fist romance title to be a first look or as they call it sneak peak. 

meme1 wrote:

First, I just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire - an awesome read.  Looking forward to its sequel.

Second.  A couple or three months ago First Look ( I think) had a choice of a "romance" title.  I did not sign up for it and I don't remember the title.  Does anyone know the title?

Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm
0 Kudos

I just finished the Maze Runner a few days ago. It was different than what I expected, but it was really good. Its a shame the sequel isn't coming out until fall. It seems like all the sequels I'm anticipating are coming out in august, september, and october. It sorta stinks.  

:/

team GALE, anyone?
Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

im reading Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr. So far so good, and it's been my favorite out of the other two books.

i have on question about the first look

if we get the free book, do we have to return it after we read it and stuff? im pretty sure we keep it but im just confused....

----------------------------------------------
gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite YA books

I loved Hunger Games and am eagerly waiting for the 3rd one.  Also enjoyed Fire and Graceling by Kristin Cashore. And Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series and Sharon Shinn's Twelve House series.

I just finished Irene Sabatini's The Boy Next Door, which was fascinating. It took me a while to start but after the first few chapters, I was drawn to the characters.

The Book Thief, Al Capone Shines My Shoes, The Mystery of the Third Lucretia are all really good reads as well.

Contributor
cynthial11
0 Kudos

I love the Mortal Instruments Series and can't wait for the next book from Cassandra Clare the Clockwork Angel. Also Hush, Hush was one of my favorite books from last year and The Demon's Lexicon. I really want to read Beautiful Creatures I heard great things about it.

Contributor
mwallslawson
0 Kudos

I'm another big Hunger Games fan!  I wasn't sure if I'd really enjoy it or not, so after I bought it I just sat it on my shelf for a few months until some girls in my YA Lit course convinced me to pick it up.  Holy cannoli! I devoured that one, and bit my nails for the 8 months until the second came out. Lately I've been reading Collins' other series, Gregor the Overlander et. al., but that's slow-going as 1) interlibrary loan takes a while and 2) they're just not as compelling for me.  

I just read Evermore by Allison Noel, but wasn't particularly impressed. Other than that, I've recently been reading a lot of Neil Gaiman & Maureen Johnson. 

You must become who you are - Nietzsche

~ blog ~ tweet ~ read ~ more ~
Contributor
kimmyblair
0 Kudos

meme1 & HBT I just finished Truly, Madly after winning an ARC over at goodreads.com and really enjoyed it! At first I thought it was going to be to "romancy" for me, but after reading it I was glad to hear the focus was more on a great plot that romance. I never would of picked that book up to read on my own, so I was glad I ended up winning a copy!

Like mlwl I just finished two Maureen Johnson books. I read Girl at Sea and The Key to the Golden Firebird. I've found that the more of Maureen's books I read, the more I enjoy them!

I have not yet read Hunger Games, but really want to! I'm trying to wait as long as possible as to not have to suffer through the same wait everyone else has... I just can't handle waits!!! I'm keep hoping I won't get spoiled, but understand the chances are not good as so many people have read it!

Please visit my book blog: http://kimmyblair.wordpress.com/
Contributor
StarShadow
0 Kudos

I have tons of favorites, but to try to slim the list down, I am a huge fan of Chloe Neill and her Chicagoland Vampire series. Some Girls Bite and Friday Night Bites and upcoming release of twice bitten. Also a fan of Melissa Walkers Violet series. Lisa McMann is great with her series that include Wake, Fade and upcoming Gone. And Phaedra Weldon's Zoe Martinique series.. For single books I love Jennifer Laurens, Meg Cabot and Alyson Noel

ReaganStar

TV. If kids are entertained by two letters, imagine the fun they'll have with twenty-six. Open your child's imagination. Open a book. ~Author Unknown

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

Well have have many favorites and not all of the I have read recently. Like many other people I loved the Hunger Games it was so well written and I absolutely love the characters! I also like the HoN series, Vampire Academy, Night World Series, The Mortal Instuments, Uglies Series, The Mediator, The Book Theif, Kissed by an Angel and Dark Sercets 1. I am currently reading the Host which is good so far as page 6. And if you are wondering why as to I am only on page 6 I am a very busy person like many other people on this website. There are also many others books I liked but if I put them all we might be here a while so...yep:smileyhappy:

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

I just recently finished Melissa Marr's Tattoo Faeries series (or what is out) and am waiting anxiously for the next one. I have just started Alyson Noel's Immortal series and am on the second book Blue Moon, and so far I am really enjoying it. I have a huge list of TBR books that I don't seem to have enough time to get around to. I am also reading Ted Dekker's Circle series (again) since the fourth book recently came out, I want to reread the first three before I read the fourth.

B&N Bookseller
Bonnie_W
0 Kudos

For Teen books, my #1 favorite read recently has been Kristin Cashore.  "Graceling" and "Fire" were astounding, and I anxiously await "Bitterblue."  Her work reminds me of a favorite teen author of mine, Tamora Pierce.  (On her site, Cashore actually says she's a big T.Pierce fan, so I can see the influence!) My favorite Pierce series are the "Alana" quartet, the "Immortals" quartet, and the "Protector of the Small" quartet.  I have the first two "Beka Cooper" books, but am waiting for the next one until I read them so I don't forget what they're about!  

I haven't read "Hunger Games" yet because I'm waiting until the final book in the trilogy releases later this year (I'm horrible, I know), nor have I read a lot of the hot supernatural titles.  I really enjoy all of Jacquelyn Mitchard's forays into teen lit.  She's a favorite author of mine, and I was pleased to discover that she also wrote for teens.  Right now, I'm on book five of the "Tales of the Frog Princess" series by E.D. Baker (now that I've seen the inspired-by Disney movie), and once finished, I'll move on to "The Looking Glass Wars"/"Hatter M." trilogies by Frank Beddor and the "Once Upon a Time" series (by various authors).  After that, I have a few adult and young reader titles to catch up on for the time being (And "Before I Fall" if I receive a confirmation!).

http://abackwardsstory.blogspot.com for ideas on what to read next!
(Last author interviewed: Michelle Madow; Last book reviewed: CADET OF TILDOR; Giving away: CADET OF TILDOR until Jan 31! :smileyhappy:
Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

I'm reading "Beautiful Creatures".   So far, it is really good. 

Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

I just finished reading the 4th book in the Pretty Little Liars series!

It's SOOOO good!

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Contributor
bookcrazyme
0 Kudos

I'm currently juggling Beautiful Creatures, which is alright, and Devoured, by Amanda Marrone. When I'm done with BC I'm planning on reading Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater. I really loved her first book, Lament. I have a mountain of to be reads! It makes me happy looking at it though...  I also didn't really enjoy Evermore, it had a very Twilight-esque vibe, but I'm looking forward to reading some Neil Gaiman books...Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book in particular!

Tamora Pierce and Suzanne Collins are two of my favorite authors, LOVE all of Tamora's works to death (especially Beka Cooper series and Will of the Empress) and I read Suzanne's first children's series Gregor the Overlander when I was little, and now her The Hunger Games and Catching Fire? Gah who doesn't love 'em? =)

Other favorite books would be...

Libba Bray's A Great & Terrible Beauty trilogy,

Neal Shusterman's Unwind, Everlost, and Everwild,

Rosemary Clement-Moore's The Splendor Falls

Bree Despain's The Dark Divine,

and China Mieville's Un Lun Dun. Tehe enough said I really love YA books! :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
CajunBookLady
0 Kudos

Well I just finished Lament and Ballad...my next YA book to read is The Graveyard Book...I can't wait to get to it.

Contributor
FortunaLuna
0 Kudos

I finished Beautiful Creatures a week ago. I thought it was good, but not great! As are lots of other people I am a HUGE Hunger Games Fan. I don't know if I can wait until August 24th to read the last book! I also really like the author Cassandra Clare and cannot wait for "The Clockwork Angel" to come out. Besides that, I'm rereading "On the Jellicoe Road" by Melina Marchetta which is awesome! And of course, I always pick up Harry Potter every now and then :smileyhappy:.

Frequent Contributor
Rebz
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian with my school's book club. I didn't think I'd like it, but I absolutely LOVE it, its up on my favorites list!  It's a little lengthy, but a very easy and fast read.  It sucks you in and you don't even realize its so long---you don't mind it AT ALL! If you like history and different cultures, this is the book for you because of the vivid descriptions of countries like Turkey. And of course, this book is mainly about VAMPIRES. So if you are a vampire fan...this one is DEFINITELY for you!

-Becca