Contributor
mom2busyboys
0 Kudos

Re: Dear First Look Readers

Thanks for the intro Lauren!  I look forward to reading your book.  I just got it yesterday and can't wait to start!

"You want weapons? We're in a library. Books! Best weapons in the world!" --David Tennant "Doctor Who"

http://janasbooklist.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
milkamilka
0 Kudos

Lauren, thank you so much for giving us the change to read this book. I just finished with the first chapter and I must say that I'm mesmerized. The story has been amazing so far! I am really excited to start the conversations about the book next week (?)!

Contributor
Olibhe
0 Kudos

Lauren,

Thank you very much. Yours is my very first ARC and I'm already about fifty pages into it. I do indeed dislike Sam and her friends as you've hoped. Unfortunately, as a high school senior myself, I've met a few of those popular people who have no regaurd for the real things in life. I guess I would more identify with the 'freaks'. I hope that Sam does make a turnaround and that I can come to like her, but so far I like your book. As well as participating in discussion on here I will also write my own review of the book on my book blog : http://ramblingsofascatteredbibliophile.blogspot.com/ I hope you'll stop by!

Frequent Contributor
Lovez-to-Read
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I finished the book!!! It was sad :smileysad: but all the right choices were made, This story was really good & I can't wait for It to settle in a bit more to review and recommend It!!!! :smileyhappy: :smileyvery-happy:

but I don't really like Sam but I was one of those girls :/ but  of course most of them got expelled and left school (ouch), so that might be way I didn't dislike her too much. I remember seeing the book and saying "This looks long" but at the end I felt that It should have been longer! This book really helped me because It talks about moving on, saying goodbye, and things like that. Today was my last day at my school because I moved and was crying all day (haha) but reading the book actually helped. :smileyhappy: but I thought that (no offense) but the book had a bit to much language in It, but maybe It was just me. Except for all that I loved the book and It helped me an I'm so happy I got This book since It was my first arc :smileyhappy:

thanks!

Ashley :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
cynthial11
0 Kudos

Just finished the book!! I really loved it, it made me cry of course and it made me think about all the little things that we don't really appreciate and are so important. I feel so much better now after reading this book because I've been having such a bad week that now I'm just looking at everything in a positive mood. I loved the message the book has and the choices that Samantha ends up making. I didn't like her at the begining but after a while I ended up understanding her more, because she reminded me of the way I was in high school. Thanks Lauren for the book, can't wait to start discussions next week.

Contributor
Lisa1971
0 Kudos

I have just received my book about 2 hrs ago. Already I am a couple of chapters in and yes Idont like these girls and yes are all to familiar to people I have witnessed in my life! But, I'm hooked already! Congrats!!!

Reader 2
nookerIA

When I first started reading the book, I thought to myself, "there is no way I will let my fifteen year-old-daughter read this" Before I was half way through the book, that I finished in three days, I'd changed my mind.  The book deals with a variety of teen-topics such as under-age drinking, smoking, bullying and suicide.  These topics are timeless when it comes to teenagers.  When my daughter finishes reading it, I look forward to discussing it with her.  Thank you Lauren for a book that will be on teen reading lists for years to come.

Contributor
ChArLiE_LeViTs
0 Kudos

I am so excited for your book! and thank you for the introduction! My copy just came in so I haven't had the chance to finish it yet... but now it's the weekend and I have all the time in the world!

Again thanks,

charlie

Contributor
mgarrison
0 Kudos

I just received your book a few days ago and can't wait to start reading!!  I am constantly looking for new material to add to the library I'm building for my future classroom!!

Contributor
mgarrison
0 Kudos

Lauren defintely does a great job at discussing and portraying the rough time that students have while in school... SO many adults choose to forget that part of their life which makes them overlook young students...  It's sad, but maybe books like this can help open people's eyes!!

Frequent Contributor
BOOKWORM1414
0 Kudos

Lauren,

Your book sounds absolutely wonderful. Sorry, I missed the chance to read your book. I'll have to wait until it is on the shelves at the bookstore.  Hope it is a big success.   I have been read 2 FL selection's and waiting for the 3rd to arrive

Carol.

Contributor
mgarrison
0 Kudos

I just read the first two chapters, and am now totally hooked!!  It was a little difficult to read about Sam and her friends because I knew a lot of girls that were like that in school and I was always at the receiving end of their ridicule.  I am hoping that Sam's character starts to change a little....

Contributor
mgarrison
0 Kudos

I think that it is so important for students to read books that touch on topics they see and face first hand.  I am definitely looking forward to finding out how everything ends....

Contributor
Benz1966
0 Kudos

I got your book last week and picked it up..and didn't put it down until I'd finished it.

Everything you said in your introduction post here fits the bill.  I did not like Sam nor her friends.  I found them callow, self-absorbed and annoying.  I struggled with Sam's struggles through the book and came out on the other side with a bit of an awakening.

Prejudice works from both sides.  It's easy to look down from your high horse at the type of girls Sam and her friends represent.. without seeing that you, yourself, are often guilty of the same type of mindset, just from a different group.  

Thanks for putting this message out there, for teens as well as for adults.  

Reader
redleocat1
0 Kudos

Hey Lauren!

Thanks for visiting us!! when i 1st got this book in the mail i was like WOW this is a really big book. But i finished :smileyvery-happy: I loved the plot,characters, it was beautifully written. I really enjoyed Before I Fall :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

I finished the book and I LOVED it! I cant wait to start discussing it chapter by chapter.. this is defiantly a book I would recommend to others as a must read

Frequent Contributor
milkamilka

I just spent an hour reading the book and for the first time, it made me cry. I just noticed I was laying down in my bed and tears were falling to my cheeks. It is almost 1am here at Finland but I must go back to bed right now and finish the book, I cannot go to sleep before I see what happens in the end. This book has made me totally speechless!

New User
MsOrange78
0 Kudos

Just got my copy last week and finally making time to start it this week.  Really excited about it.

Contributor
myalternatereality

Lauren,

It's rare to find characters that are so obviously flawed and yet at the same time lovable. It's one of the reasons I loved reading Before I Fall. Watching the world through Sam's ever-changing eyes was an unexpected treat. The twists and turns kept me intrigued but the way you painted the scenery and Lindsay, Elody, Ally, Juliet, Rob and especially Kent, Sam and Izzy kept me turning pages well past when I intended to turn out the lights.

I love reading and over the years many stories have stayed with me. Few, however, have made me stop reading at 3 am and pull out my journal to reevaluate my life. Which is exactly what I did after finishing "Day 5." The last page of your book came all too soon and I couldn't help but wish I had a boy with eyes the color of grass to call my own. But more importantly, it made me thankful for my friends and family and for second chances and that tomorrow's sky will be different from today's.

Thank you for writing a book that is rich in meaning and yet incredibly fun to read. I will definitely be recommending this to my friends and looking forward to any future tales you care to share with us.

B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

Hi Lauren.  My book came a few days ago.  Once I started reading the first page I could not put it down.  You are right that I did not like the main characters and found them shallow.  Unfortunately, as you pointed out, these kinds of kids are all too common.  As I continued to read and found Sam going through her journey, I did find hope.  I wasn't sure if she was somehow going to change things for real or just in her own mind, or how it would end up.  (Part of me wanted her to wake uo so she could kiss Kent again.) What think I found was a story about how we all interconnect and how what we do matters in the scheme of things. 

I am working on my own YA and I loved the way you filled out the characters and how you made them seem so real.  The smallest thing rippling through the story and changing it just a bit.  Wow.  What a wonderful book.  I really can't wait for your next one. I know I am going to read this one again.  I have been telling all the customers who read teen and the booksellers who work in the department about your book.  I wish you all the success in the world and congrats on a truly amazing book.

Dana W.