Correspondent
nicole21WA
0 Kudos

Re: Final Thoughts:

Sam sharing her special place with her sister was very touching.  I'm glad Sam realized how much she meant to Izzy and used one of her "do-over" days to finally spend some time with her.  At least now Izzy will have a really great memory of Sam on the day she died.

Two other scenes will definitely stick with me:  Sam going through Lindsay's yearbooks is one--that provided a realization; Mr. Daimler's assault is another--that one quite horrified me.  Until that scene I thought the student crushes made him uncomfortable; I hated being wrong about that one.

Contributor
Paula_Jean
0 Kudos

It's been a week since I finished the book and the thought that I keep turning over in my mind is how connected everyone is.  Seemingly small events impact those around you without you even realizing it.  A change in your own action my not completely redirect someone else's life -- we have a course that we are set on -- but we do make a difference.  When we realize that interconnectedness, we can make better choices...

I really enjoyed this book.  I liked the characters - even when I didn't like them. On one level, it made me stop and consider my own choices.  On another level, it was simply a great read - where I could route for characters to either to do better or really get what's coming to them... fI appreciate that!

Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

The way the girls acted towards other people and with each other.  I've never known anyone to have a relationship with their peers like that.  There's no respect or compassion in them at all.  They are heartless and cruel individuals.  They even have problems with each other.  The way they treat other people like dirt is so terrible.  I've only seen that type of behavior in movies.  Since I'm from a small town we were never like that in high school nor did I ever encounter such behavior. 

I didn't like the ending because it ended abruptly with no scenes of after her death.  Also the beginning with confusing in that the girls were so much alike in their personality.  I think I may have to go back and read the first two chapters just to get a better understanding. 

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

I was fortunate enough to share Before I Fall with a group of my eighth grade students, and the whole experience surpassed my hopes and expectations.  I will remember their total involvement, their willingness to share their thoughts and feelings, and their excitement that revolved around the characters, days, and discussions. There were days when they would enter class discussing the book with each other (loudly)...OMG, have you gotten to _____ yet??  

Along those lines, this book opened many doors and tugged at the heart of a lot of people on the discussion boards.  A book that evokes so many memories, experiences, and strong emotions is one to cherish for years to come.  Before I Fall spans generations, explores extremely important topics and experiences, and reflects on human nature and the consequences of actions.   

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Contributor
Keyve
0 Kudos

I got the book on Sunday and I finished reading it today. I think what I read here would forever stay with me, sometimes we do things without considering the impact it can have in other people's life. It was interesting to see how this self conceited girl evolves to someone who actually care. I mean, I'm out of words. It was beautiful and bittersweet but in a good way!

Reader
Millersville_U_Queen11
0 Kudos

Yes, our class is exactly like that. I keep thinking over Sam and who she became. I liked her beginning character. Now I am somewhat of a reading pestimest, I love the sad endings, where people are all mopey, but in this ending she became the 'hero.'

Sorry, I just think that in my final thought, the author needs to have a more 'non-disney' ending in a sense. Still, I liked reading, some points were good.

Contributor
booknerdsnet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think that the main thing that will stick with me from Before I Fall is how easily we can change someone else's life with a comment, a tease or by simply saying something nice. I think all too often people forget to realize (as well as I do) that we often push things a little too far, and learn the hardest lessons after it's far to late. The most memorable moment, however, for me from the entire book was Sam giving Izzy her necklace, whenever I think about Before I Fall, I know that's what will stick out to me the most.

The entire book I was kind of dragging myself through telling myself that thing would have to end eventually, the repetitiveness of the book really wore on me, but once Sam seemed to accept what was going to happen and that she couldn't change what would happen to HER the book became much more interesting again. Although I was kind of upset in the end that after all of that Sam still died, I think that really it's the only way it could have ended and hold it's importance. It took me awhile to realize it but what Sam did wasn't the ultimate sacrifice, maybe if she had done it the first time around. But I think it was the only way the book COULD have ended, she had learned her lesson I think - and while I didn't LOVE her as a character - I think she grew a lot, and she figured that if she couldn't save herself, to think and have the presence of mind to save someone else is something I don't think everyone would be able to do. She spent the whole novel trying to make things 'right' and I think finally in the end, sad or not, she did.

It rates up there for me with Hate List by Jennifer Brown, in that I really wish it would be required reading for schools. I think that everyone could learn a lot from them, in that our actions aren't always as harmless as we'd like to believe they are.

Contributor
mwallslawson
0 Kudos

I  finished reading this nearly a month ago, and there are SO many things I can't stop thinking about! 

For a single image, it's wings.  The fact that Sam gave her little sister the bird necklace, and how she realized that she was afraid of falling because she hadn't opened her eyes... when she finally opened her eyes, she saw that she was actually being held aloft by thousands of butterflies.

That, in particular, stands out to me as a symbol for the book... that if we're not REALLY paying attention, we don't know what's happening in our lives.  The fact that Sam (and her friends) was thoughtlessly cruel to Julia and had no concept of the repurcussions brewing.  The fact that Sam didn't realize she didn't love her boyfriend... or even necessarily LIKE him.  When she finally became aware of herself and the lives entwined with hers, she saw so much beauty in everyone else, and it was beauty that she'd had "her eyes shut" to.

Just gorgeous writing.  I got three of my girlfriends to buy it last weekend, and one of them texted me the play-by-play all day Sunday. :smileywink:

You must become who you are - Nietzsche

~ blog ~ tweet ~ read ~ more ~
Contributor
-Cia-
0 Kudos

This book is definately one of my favorites! I found the ending left me very shocked!! It was a really good ending to this story. It fit perfectly. This novel has lead me to realize that what we do and words we say can really affect people and their lives. This will affect me in the future and others around me. Maybe people will realize to do the right thing in the future! Ahmazing book!!! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
kimmyblair
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I finish a book and I am able to quickly put it down and walk away from it. Sometimes I will pick up a book I finished months ago and ask myself "What was this book about again?" That would NEVER happen with this book. This book left me thinking and questioning things once I started reading. That curiosity and thought continues to this day. I will always remember the message that this story left me with long after I finish it.

I feel that this book can speak to so many different people, which is why I keep recommending it to people. So many high school students think that partying and being popular are important, when this book helps you realize that being popular isn't the most important thing in life. I think that this book could help parents reach out to their high school aged children, and also help teachers reach out to their students, to help them see what is important in their lives at this time. Even for those who have long since graduated this book helps teach a strong and important message.

I want to thank Lauren's publishers and The First Looks group for giving us the opportunity to read this book. If not for this opportunity I probably never would of picked up this book, and missed out on this wonderful story. Also a big thank you to Lauren Oliver and Rosemary Brosnan for not only their parts in the books creation, but coming in to talk with us! It is not often that you get the opportunity to "pick the brain" of the author and editor of a book you have read. Hopefully I can see everyone in a future First Looks group!

Please visit my book blog: http://kimmyblair.wordpress.com/
Contributor
megan-smith
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I have not finished this book. I have been trying and trying to get into it, but I just can't! I will continue to try because I've been told that the story picks up. I guess I'm just not there yet. I feel bad about it, but at least I'm still trying to read it rather than just giving up!

Contributor
FortunaLuna
0 Kudos

What will stay with me the most is the sacrifices that Sam made and the changes she made in her life before she died. I truly did not like Sam at the beginning of the novel, but by the end her death was a very heart-wrenching experience for me!

Contributor
BooksAtMidnight
0 Kudos

I think what will stick with me the most can't exactly be pin-pointed to a specific image or passage, but the idea that it's always possible for redemption. There are times that I feel as if I've made an irreversible mistake, and though it's true that it can't be changed, like Sam's behavior in the past, Before I Fall was a reminder that I can always change the future. Overall, great book and it realistically explored many of the teenage issues I see in high school right now. :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
soundistheword3
0 Kudos

I don't know if any one passage stands out more than the others (most of them were so moving), but I certainly am left with a new weight placed on every decision I make. I know that, say, on Wednesdays I'm always just trying to push through and get to Thursday so that I can get to Friday and have the weekend to enjoy myself, but I think this book really emphasizes how you should make the most of every day. Even the seemingly unimportant parts of a day can hold a lot of meaning, and not a single moment is truly negligible. So here's to making each moment count!

Contributor
FortunaLuna
0 Kudos

I finished the book weeks ago and it all the details still stick with me. There really wasn't one passage that I could name above all the others; in general, the book was just fantastic. It was one of the best books I've read in years and I think it's message is a strong one. There are so many novels out their about the dynamics of high school, but Lauren Oliver brought something different and special to it-which is what made it so touching!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Before I Fall  Besides just feeling so close to "Before I Fall" How wonderful to learn that its #7 on The NYTIMES Bestseller list  Vtc..Susan... 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
lau05
0 Kudos

While I read Before I Fall, I wonder how Sam was able of getting up every morning knowing all that it would happen, knowing that no matter she did, she would finish dying, it is very sad. Also, I wonder about the life. If it is really true that the future is written or we can change it. I don't know. That kind of questions we have ever asked ourselves.

There are several passages which come to my mind:

-When Sam is in the party and discover Rob's reaction

-When Sam cries in Ken's living room staying with him

-And above all, the last part, when Sam give a push to Juliet saving her life of such a tragic way

Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

I'll be recommending this one to our middle school librarians at our next team meeting! A great read, and I think our students will definitely enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for the opportunity to preview this one, Barnes and Noble.

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

I'm glad to read that people are still recommending Befofre I Fall to others.  My oldest daughter (31 years old) read it and thought it was great.  I have now given  it to a good friend who has two teenage daughters.

Looking forward to another FL yuoung adult selection.  They certainly make good choices.

Kathy

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

kpatton wrote:

I'm glad to read that people are still recommending Befofre I Fall to others.  My oldest daughter (31 years old) read it and thought it was great.  I have now given  it to a good friend who has two teenage daughters.

Looking forward to another FL yuoung adult selection.  They certainly make good choices.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,It really did affect so many readers..good to see you on..next FL as you know is First week of May..Take care..Susan  Vtc..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer