Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome

Re: Friendship and Popularity

What makes people popular at Thomas Jefferson?

The number one thing for any school is the group of friends you have. For Thomas Jefferson it seems like you have to be mean to people who are different than you and your group.

Do you recognize yourself in any of Sam's descriptions of her friends or of the other kids in her high school?

I find that I relate more to Juliet and Kent. Juliet knows her classmates for who they really are. She doesn't pay any attention to them because they are not worth it. Kent is his own person.

How would you describe each of Sam's friends? Do they show that they care for each other?

They all do care for each other. They look out for each other at the party. Also they give advice to each other even if it is not good advice. I like ally the most because she has not had sex yet. She doesn't go around having sex with guys that don't care about you. Then again I don't like her whining. Lindsay is reckless and a trouble maker. Elody is just ugh, but she is caring.

Is Rob as wonderful as Sam thinks he is? What makes him popular? How does Sam describe her feelings for him? Rob is a selfish jerk, punk. He is popular because he is on a sports team. He also is one of those guys that know every girl loves him. All he cares about is sex and drinking. He is never there for Sam when she needs him. They have been dating since Oct. and all he says on her card is luv ya, are you happy now? Luv ya goes to show that you don't really want to fully say I Love You.She is starting to question whether she does truly love him.

Does Sam see any difference between being popular and being cared about?

I think she is starting to see the being cared about part. Kent shows her that he cares about he a lot even though she treats him badly.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Contributor
Pineapple_Princess
0 Kudos

well, to be popular you can be friends or girlfriend/boyfriend of a popular person. you can also do something to make you popular.

Do you recognize yourself in any of Sam's descriptions of her friends or of the other kids in her high school?

i am nothing like sam and her friends. i have never been popular, most of the time people just ignore me. i guess i could be kind of like Juliet Sykes. i always think everyone thinks i'm weird.

Is Rob as wonderful as Sam thinks he is? What makes him popular? How does Sam describe her feelings for him?

rob is not as wonderful as sam thinks he is. i don't know why i don't like him, i just don't. he's popular because he's dating sam. that's probably why he's dating her, because he wants to be popular.she says she used to get excited/nervous whenever she saw him but now she doesn't feel it anymore. it seems like sam doesn't really like him anymore. it sounds like she used to like him, but doesn't now.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Money,the right look..Even if it seems a bit grungy for the guys,and Kent having his own thing going on..Its OK for the guys..Its a "Look" Girls on the other hand must be very attractive,have a look,fit in...Its High School............Getting good grades can still keep you "inside the circle,"as long as you fit in...I do recognize myself..We were smart,had the right clothes,but weren't mean or cruel.Just the usual,with our siblings. .Couldn't get away with as much as Sam and her friends,but we did manage a few "Like trips to NYC" on the Subway..That was a big one for us...Thats all I will say  :  ).Going to College was really first and foremost,but we were a little out there .Elody,Lindsay,Ally..kind of Blend into one another.For now..The big revelation for me was when Sam did lead me to believe that Lindsay might have an eating disorder...Rob..Popular yes.Not a good match for Sam,I think she knows that now..Sams friends do care for each other,even though they are all self absorbed,they rely  on each other.Simple acts of kindness..Dunkin Donuts..,that is important because they Care,that's how they show it,they treat each other well and that makes them all feel Cared about . .Even as an Adults,good friends remember your "Coffee ". Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
veronica1890
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

How would you describe each of Sam's friends? Do they show that they care for each other?

Is Rob as wonderful as Sam thinks he is? What makes him popular? How does Sam describe her feelings for him?

Being the same and having the right friends make you popular.

I guess everyone wants to fit in so i see myself there but i dont see myself stepping over any toes to get there or trying to be identical to those around me. 

All of sam's friends are shallow and mean. They think they can get away with anything.

I think rob is overrated and only wants to get in her pants. i think shes only with him for the popularity points because she seems to be losing interest in him.

She doesn't see the difference in being cared about or being popular because she just wants others to think about her a certain way. 

Rachel-K wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

Seems to me to win the popularity around Jefferson...you have to be snoby,cut thorat and very

mean to others less forth right.

Absolutley not would I ever have been apart of Sam's friends

Sam's friends acted like spoiled brats,they cared for each other if it suited their own needs.

No,Rob is not anything special,his popularity is because he's a jock. Sam's description for feelings for

Rob is pretty lame.

I think Sam is clever enough to know the difference between being popular adn being cared for.

Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening

They have to be in the normal attire. They have to have friends and be pretty. They have to be shallow and cruel and only think about themselves and sometimes the people they call friends. Normally, the people who call themselves popular aren't popular at all.

No, I really don't. Maybe I go to a different type of high school then the stereotypes say everyone goes to? Cause I can honestly say I dont think I have ever met anybody in my school that fits any of the characters. (Which is a shame since kent is AMAZING) Or it could be because I like very few people and only talk to about 20 in a school of 3000...

Lindsays the leader. Ally's the follower who seems a little ditzy. Elody is the slut. at least that's what they seem like. Lindsay does seem to care for Sam, she changes the subject on things Sam doesnt want to talk about, she reads her emotions and can tell when she does or doesn't want to do something. I can't really tell how Elody and Ally care though. They seemed more like side characters then main.

No, he's not that great. He's popular because he's 'cute' and he's outspoken. She says it's love in the beginning.

No, she doesn't. Popular means everything. Being cared about is not important. I need to get a lot of roses, otherwise i can't show my face! LYKE ZOMG... no.

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

4. I don't think Rob cares about Sam the way Sam wantes him to care about her...

5. I don't think Sam know the difference between being popular and being cared about...

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Frequent Contributor
ruthieWW

The popular ones are the "beautiful" people, the "in crowd"..those who set the bar for everyone else. They set the mode, the fashion, the attitude. Their motivation is to be liked, to be in the spotlight, to be envied. But to do all this, they have to have an audience of the "invisible, little people". We really know they are shallow, but even the unpopular ones encourage it, much like we do celebrities. We love to hate them.

Do you recognize yourself in any of Sam's descriptions of her friends or of the other kids in her high school? Not really. Personally I was never interested in wild parties, smoking, drinking. I really don't think I was ever demeaning to others.

How would you describe each of Sam's friends? Do they show that they care for each other? Sam's friends at first strike you as selfish, self-centered; but deep down they really do care about each other.

Is Rob as wonderful as Sam thinks he is? What makes him popular? How does Sam describe her feelings for him? Rob has it all going on for him; looks, popularity, a sort of charisma. Sam is love with the image. She is in love with being in love.

Does Sam see any difference between being popular and being cared about? She is slowing learning the cold difference. I believe she will reach it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

It seems the most popular kids at Thomas Jefferson have money, the right clothes, they associate with the "right" people and they date within their circle of popular friends.

Lindsay would be the leader of Sam's group. She's the one the girls all seem to base their personality off of. When Sam was invited by Kent to go to his party, she didn't want to go, but as soon as Lindsay sent her a text that she was going, Sam was in. Ally, has the most money of the four girls. The girls all borrow her clothes to go to the party at Kent's and it is said that everything in her house is 25 percent bigger than a normal person's. Sam says Elody is the nicest one of their group. She seems to be experienced when it comes to sex. The girls do show they care for each other, by backing each other up and keeping each other's secrets. They borrow each other's clothes, give each other rides and Lindsay even brings them their morning coffee. They may not be nice to anyone outside of the popular group, but they do seem to care about each other.

Rob is an awful boyfriend to Sam. He wants to sleep with her, but won't even tell her he loves her. She's desperate for him to show her more affection, but from what I've seen so far, he would rather be hanging out with his friends first and be with Sam second. Rob is popular because he's a good athlete and hangs out with the "right" people. It seems to me Sam is trying to like him more than she does. Like if they would ever break up, she would be afraid of what it would do to her popularity.

April
Frequent Contributor
Rebz

Being popular at Thomas Jefferson means going to parties, drinking, and being MEAN.

Well I am definitely NOT in Sam's clique. Thats for sure.  I'm not a fan of the popular kids--since I'm usually the kid they bother. Not at all in the extreme that Sam's group torments kids like Juliet, but yeah I'm not the most popular kid but I'm not hated either...I guess I'm kinda like Kent status.  But I know girls like Sam's friends wayyy too well.

Lindsay= the wild child. The head of the group. The leader.  She's definitely in charge, she knows it and she wants everyone to know it.  She's the loudest and most assertive. But she's WAY protective of her friends and would do pretty much anything for them.

Elody= the slutty kind of friend....but a friend nonetheless

and Ally= another follower who isn't always all there all the time, if you know what I mean. 

All of her friends are mean and shallow, but at least they are there for each other

Rob is in no way as wonderful as Sam thinks he is. He's just one of those popular guys because he plays sports, goes to parties and acts like a 'big-shot'. It seems like Sam doesn't really love Rob...she's more lustful after him because it would prove her social status, etc.

Not initially. Sam thinks that being popular means that people care about her, in actuality...its quite the opposite.

-Becca
Contributor
ylin0621
0 Kudos

Apparently beauty, meanness, and how much you're willing to give yourself up. While the first few chapters I dislike the entire Sam group I actually grew kind of fond of them. I mean while Lindsey's pretty much this evil crazed person she has this lighter side--the one that always makes the group laugh. I think it's more of how the person portrays themselves in others--self-confidence.

Honestly I feel like my high school is so different. I mean while we all have our own little niches we don't mess with anyone. There is like 0.01% bullying. I mean the jocks and the "geeks" talk, work together and the works. The only way you can witness those niches is after school. Who goes with whom, where do they go, what do they do--those sorts of things.

Ugh Rob is disgusting from the first page he's introduced. Wannabe jock that prays on the helpless. Sam goes from hot to cold on Rob, which was what I was hoping for.

Correspondent
Tenrbe
0 Kudos

To be popular at Thomas Jefferson, you need to have a no-care attitude. Do things that make you stand out, both in appearance and attitude.

I don't think Sam sees any difference between being popular and being cared about. They just don't go hand in hand. To Sam, being popular means being the center of attention. She thinks she has to associate herself with certain people and ostracize others. She doesn't care about what people really think of her.

Contributor
pengy
0 Kudos

Roses, having fake friends (in my opinion!)

Do you recognize yourself in any of Sam's descriptions of her friends or of the other kids in her high school? I'm kind of like Ally (I think it is) she kinda is off in her own world and floats back when she needs to but I know I'm definetly not as mean as her.

How would you describe each of Sam's friends? Do they show that they care for each other? Lindsay takes her anger out on other people so they won't discover the truth about her.. Elody is interestingggg. and Ally is I think is a mixture of Sam and Lindsay. I think in a way they care about each other they just show it in a different way.

No I think he is just a big jerk. I also think he is a jerk what he said to Sam earlier in her life (not going to say what for those who ahevnt read that far yet)

Kinda of but not really she is really mixed up

єνєяуσηє тσℓ∂ мє тσ gяσωη υρ.... ι gяєω υρ αη∂ тнєη тнєу ωαηтє∂ мє тσ gяσωη ∂σωη...
B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

Popularity at TJH is about making other people who are not in the clique feel inferior. 

No, I was one of the seemingly unpopular girls who never really fit into any clique except maybe the art kids.

Sam's friends do care for each other.  I  do however think they are all shallow and follow Lindsey sometimes mindlessly. 

Rob is not as great as Sam initially thinks he is.  When you are popular, you date in your social circles.  He is popular because he is attractive, rich and has a patent disregard for anyone other than who is in his group.  Sam is not in love with him, and as she goes further into her series of days, she sees what caring is really about.  Popularity is not the same as really caring about someone. As she begins to see this, the people that really care about her come into focus. 

Dana W.
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I was never part of a clique, because I was always in the library reading books. Was always called goodie-to-shoe. To this day I am still reading books of all types. I do feel the same way you about Cam's friends and that Rob isn't what he seem to be in Sam eyes. So far it is a good read and I hope to get more reading done in between my studies for two exams.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Good description of the girls.

I did dislike all of them to start with in the book. But then as it progressed you start to see that they have flaws too. In high school I was more on the outside of all the cliques, I was friendly with some kids in each clique but never attached. It seemed to work well for me. Having an older brother also helped so others did not pick on me or single me out (siblings can be helpful). I am hoping the book shows some progression in Sams treatment of others. pen21

Vermontcozy wrote:

Money,the right look..Even if it seems a bit grungy for the guys,and Kent having his own thing going on..Its OK for the guys..Its a "Look" Girls on the other hand must be very attractive,have a look,fit in...Its High School............Getting good grades can still keep you "inside the circle,"as long as you fit in...I do recognize myself..We were smart,had the right clothes,but weren't mean or cruel.Just the usual,with our siblings. .Couldn't get away with as much as Sam and her friends,but we did manage a few "Like trips to NYC" on the Subway..That was a big one for us...Thats all I will say  :  ).Going to College was really first and foremost,but we were a little out there .Elody,Lindsay,Ally..kind of Blend into one another.For now..The big revelation for me was when Sam did lead me to believe that Lindsay might have an eating disorder...Rob..Popular yes.Not a good match for Sam,I think she knows that now..Sams friends do care for each other,even though they are all self absorbed,they rely  on each other.Simple acts of kindness..Dunkin Donuts..,that is important because they Care,that's how they show it,they treat each other well and that makes them all feel Cared about . .Even as an Adults,good friends remember your "Coffee ". Vtc

Frequent Contributor
CharminKB
0 Kudos

Being popular is the same in any school - looks, attitude, and money mostly make up the social steps.

I've thought about myself in HS and I'm not sure looking back what I was!!  I attended a small HS in a rural community where there weren't many wealthy families...so I don't think money was much of a player.  I guess I was popular by association--my boyfriend and best girlfriend were both very popular, so I was brought in by them (perhaps a little like Sam was??  hmm).  I don't think we were mean, but with any "click" - whether its the popular girl click, the sporty girls click, the nerd click, etc. - others get left out...it's a part of HS - heck!  It's a part of life! 

I truly felt that as superficial the girls were and even how mean they treated each other - they both hated each other and loved each other.  It's like you hate them for making you feel like you must be a certain way, or even jealous of each others attention - making you dislike each other - but at the same time would jump in and defend the other in a heart beat.  Like family, I can get mad at my sister and yell at her, but don't let anyone else think that they can!

Rob is just a jerk - I think Sam knows this the whole time...but it's socially expected for them to be together, so she tried to make up her feelings for him.  Also I think she is proving to herself that she is worthy of a guy of his social status----Sam has issues!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Vtcozy wrote.Thank you ,I really wasn't sure where I was going with it,but as I wrote ,it became clear,you know how that is.Yes,having an older sibling does help,my sister had Graduated and was in college..and quite smart..So I had to do something right..not to embarrass her  :  ).I keep reading that many posts contain a reference to "Kent"whom I think is one of the "Good Guys"...I am now into the very middle of Chapter 3..(insightful)...If I continue,I will finish..I really want to discuss,so I will refrain.Its a balancing act for all in High School..but who knows that when one is in the middle of it....A Good day ,Vtc....
pen21 wrote:

Good description of the girls.

I did dislike all of them to start with in the book. But then as it progressed you start to see that they have flaws too. In high school I was more on the outside of all the cliques, I was friendly with some kids in each clique but never attached. It seemed to work well for me. Having an older brother also helped so others did not pick on me or single me out (siblings can be helpful). I am hoping the book shows some progression in Sams treatment of others. pen21

Vermontcozy wrote:

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
GReba
0 Kudos

Time for a little more sharing of my thoughts...

What makes people popular at Thomas Jefferson?  From the sound of it, the same as real life.  Who you hang with, who you DON'T.....your social status or lack thereof....

Do you recognize yourself in any of Sam's descriptions of her friends or of the other kids in her high school?  Honestly, I was (still am to a degree) a combination of the background characters.  I wasn't the most popular and I stuck with my studies/books most of the time.  I may have been a blip in this book as a supporting roll....a very small supporting role.....

How would you describe each of Sam's friends? Do they show that they care for each other?  Sam's friends are all trying just a bit too hard to be more than what they perceive themselves to be...but again, it is high school.  I think they each feel unsecure enough on the inside to play the roles they do on the outside as so hardcore.  They care about each other, and yet not in the healthiest way.

Is Rob as wonderful as Sam thinks he is? What makes him popular? How does Sam describe her feelings for him?   NO!  Rob is probably as shallow as they come, or at least that is how he is portrayed so far.  I mean he is the one that caused the big embarrassing scene in front of everyone when he rejected her in the past and then a year or two later he only wants to be with her?  Why?  Because her social status improved?  Yeah...now THERE's something to build a relationship on....NOT. 

Does Sam see any difference between being popular and being cared about?  Not yet.  But I think her character will continue to grow...or at least I hope so.  I'm on "life 3" right now...

Frequent Contributor
milkamilka
0 Kudos

On cupid day, the amount of roses you get. Otherwise going to the parties, drinking, appearance.

Well, I belong to the group of "popular" kids but I would not say that we are as mean as the girls in this book. Of course we gossip and talk about others but well... It is hard to say myself, it would be easier to ask this from someone else who does not belong to our "group" :smileyvery-happy:

They definitely care about each other even though sometimes you get the picture that they are just joking etc. Lindsey is kinda like the boss, Elody is the hardcore girl with all these experiences even though she really is quite fragile and always nice. Ally is this "stupid" girl and she knows it.

Well, by the way he is described I do not think him perfect at all. He is popular because he plays lacrosse and he probably has that "classical american high school boy handsomness".

At first she does not, in the end she does.