Correspondent
Sadie1
0 Kudos

Re: I Bailed on the Schedule and Read the Whole Thing:

nomadwriter wrote:

I am curious to see if there's backlash from some parents about the book's ending. Did Sam choose to die? I don't think it's that simple. She chose to make things better, and to a certain extent, her fate was sealed. Do you think the ending (and Sam's death) will be controversial?

This is a good question.  I don't think there will be backlash.  But, I do think  if this were a true story that Juliet would have worse problems now knowing that Sam died saving her.  That would be a lot to live with.

I don't think Sam sacrificed herself to save Juliet.  I think Sam died in the act of saving Juliet.  Sam was going to die anyway.  I am glad that Sam changed for the better.

I kept thinking that the ending would still be the car crash.  I thought for sure it would be someone playing "chicken" with Lindsay getting her back for playing "chicken" on them in the past.  We kept hearing about the flash of "white", so I thought it would be a flash of white light from headlights suddenly popping on like Lindsay used to do for fun. 

I did enjoy the book and the meaning of it.  Once I got to chapter 5, there was no stopping.  I had to see how it ended.

Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening
0 Kudos

D: D: it upset me so much when she died, her life finally gets good with kent and such and then she was just killed. D: I was so upset when it happened

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Frequent Contributor
Annette94
0 Kudos

Oh my goodness! Thank you for posting this. Honestly, Overall, I was satisfied with the book. Of course, there were many errors, but besides that I love the story. I was really dissapointed that Sam didn't come back to life and wasn't able to be together with Kent ( I cried so hard, it's not even funny) I really wanted them to have a second chance together, but I'm glad that she was able to tell him how she felt before dying. One thing that I really disliked, was how she ended the book. "The rest you'll have to find out for yourself"???? Are you kidding me? What am I supposed to guess, that she went to heaven and what? She found Kent there again? I really wanted them to be together. :smileysad: I wonder if Kent remembers what happened the day she died, Well, the last one any way. I didn't like that it took her 7 days to die her final death, I felt like that was kind of pushing. Also, if you notice, the author skips a day. So, for a full day, we don't know what happens. I was kind of lost most of the time, because it's like she's saying one thought, and then randomly skips on to the next. But, other than all of that, a book that can make me cry, I consider a good book. :smileyvery-happy: Lol. I liked it. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Annette94
0 Kudos

I know! I cried so hard! I wanted them to live happily ever after together, and then she dies. I also cried when she was talking to Kent about Elody's death, when she was saying that it hurt. :'( Amazing book.

Frequent Contributor
Annette94
0 Kudos

Sorry for bailing on the schedule, but this was just a book you can't put down. Two Thumbs up.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

vtcozy wrote:  Your post made me think"Did Juliet shoot herself,was she already dead?,Because Sam kept seeing her everywhere,even at the party,did everyone see her or just Sam?If she was already dead,then Sam was tring to communicat with her,to try and  change once again what was happening,your post just made me think if that could be..Vtc  Susan
vpenning wrote:

Did anyone else wonder about the following quote on p.324 (day 5):

Julie turns to face me then. She's smiling, but it's the saddest smile I've ever seen.

"Maybe next time," she says. "But probably not."

When I read that part, I wondered if Juliet was relieving the same day too. Almost like she'd had already played out this scene before.

Yes, I did! Esp. since in chpt. 6 Juliet also says "It isn't all about you..." The quote that was from the rose was maybe next YEAR, not time, so it made me think just that...it was Julie reliving the same day.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

I'm usually pretty good at sticking to the schedule for these First Look selections.  I wasn't so disciplined with this book.  As the day ended in one chapter I had to read the next to find out what kind of changes occurred for the next day.  Before I knew it the book was finished.  What can I say?  I am weak.

What a transformation for a single character.  In the beginning Sam was a person with essentially no redeeming qualities.  In the end I found myself admiring her courage and the effort she made to make everything right.

Reader 2
seolmara
0 Kudos

Sadie1 wrote:

nomadwriter wrote:

I am curious to see if there's backlash from some parents about the book's ending. Did Sam choose to die? I don't think it's that simple. She chose to make things better, and to a certain extent, her fate was sealed. Do you think the ending (and Sam's death) will be controversial?

This is a good question.  I don't think there will be backlash.  But, I do think  if this were a true story that Juliet would have worse problems now knowing that Sam died saving her.  That would be a lot to live with.

I totally agree with Sadie. Juliet will have the guilt on top of all of her other problems now. Who's to say she won't try it again the next day?

I was hoping that the death was only a matter of the correction to all of the wrongs dealt to Juliet and that Sam would have found some way to have Lindsay apologize, maybe paving the way for further healing for Juliet (and for Lindsay.)

The question of fate is not really addressed and nowhere did it seem evident to me that Sam had to die. Call me a crazy, hopeful romantic, but I wanted Sam to sort it all out and have more time with Kent...lots more. Yes, I love happy endings but they don't always happen. The ending worked for the story but left me sad and angry. It will stick with me, though :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
hoot
0 Kudos

I totally tore through this book. When I started it I thought that it would be redundant, playing the same day over multiple times, I soon found out that each day played out interestingly and different from the last.

The main character goes from being unlikeable in the beginning, to slightly more likable by the end of the book.

I must say that I hated the ending! I really wanted it to play out differently and was REALLY disappointed when it ended the way that it did.

www.bellasnovella.com
Contributor
myalternatereality
0 Kudos

vpenning wrote:

Did anyone else wonder about the following quote on p.324 (day 5):

Julie turns to face me then. She's smiling, but it's the saddest smile I've ever seen.

"Maybe next time," she says. "But probably not."

When I read that part, I wondered if Juliet was relieving the same day too. Almost like she'd had already played out this scene before.

Yes, I did! Esp. since in chpt. 6 Juliet also says "It isn't all about you..." The quote that was from the rose was maybe next YEAR, not time, so it made me think just that...it was Julie reliving the same day.

I'm glad you thought so too!

Contributor
TatyyGirl
0 Kudos

I tore through this book as well, right after the first chapter, I became addicted.

All of the alterations Sam made each day were intriguing and I can't help but wonder, why didn't Sam just grab Juliet and pull her out of the road, as opposed to her tackle method that resulted in her own death (as the first chapter car-accident details)?

Rather, not "why didn't she" but, more like I wish she had. Sam had become a character I cared about as she became more caring of Juliet.

Frequent Contributor
jbg78
0 Kudos

I didn't stick to the schedule.  If I have time to read I read. 

I can't say that I liked this book very much.  I didn't enjoy the characters.  I didn't think the day needed to be repeated so many times.

I would like to thank the administrators of First Look for not choosing books from the same genre. I have enjoyed reading books I would not have picked out myself.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb~
Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I read the whole book the weekend before the discussion started. I have been having a hard time trying not to put spoilers in and I think I did a good job. I just could not put the book down! I did hope that Sam would be able to survive in the end, but I also loved the way she went, saving Juliet with her final act. I was hoping to flip to the next page and there would be more saying she woke up in the hospital or something like that. I am really glad I participated in this first look (it is my first) because I probably would not have picked this book up on my own.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Zia01, I too bailed on the schedule. I got behind and deicded to just read. WOW, is all I can say. THis is such a wake up call. I think more teen and pre-teen need to read this book.

These girls made me made and I felt sorry for them. They just don't know what their actions and words can do to people.

Lauren have written a great read and worth the time to read it. I am going to recommend this book to others.

It gives you some hope that Sam will change as she relives her last day. I believe that she learned the hard way what can happen. You just never know when you last day on this earth may come. You need to be ready. Your actions and words has consequences and I think Sam finally realized at the end and tried to help Juliet.

I would like to know what happens to the other girls after Sam dies. I would hope that they realize what happens when they think they deserve things just because they are popular. I pray that they learn a very hard lesson of life. There is more to life than being the most popular, the prettiest . That they will learn to be much better people as result of what happened to Sam.

I would like to see stories about the other girls. I think Lauren should write one for each of the other girls and what happens to them.

This was a great choice for a Teen Read.

ReadingPatti

Contributor
Griffin14
0 Kudos

I felt bad when I kept reading because I just wanted to see what happened. I was surprised that Sam would keep changing herself and noticing how each day things were the same yet different. I think that they way she lived after she was killed was more important than the way she lived prior. I wish that she would have been able to tell someone.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

VtCozy wrote: There was a part of me Griffin,that she was desperaely trying to reach Juliet,who I think was already dead.Always searching for her..Just a thought..She was falling at the end so quickly....
Griffin14 wrote:

I felt bad when I kept reading because I just wanted to see what happened. I was surprised that Sam would keep changing herself and noticing how each day things were the same yet different. I think that they way she lived after she was killed was more important than the way she lived prior. I wish that she would have been able to tell someone.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
mom2busyboys

I was sad that Sam died in the end.  I really hoped that she could do everything right and be able to move on.  My biggest concern is that, although things ended well for Sam, she is leaving behind a mess.  In my mind the future looks grim for those involved:  Lindsay and the girls being worse to Juliet for being in the road and causing Sam to save her, Kent in the grief that he missed his chance and Juliet with the guilt of "causing " Sam's death.    But, I think it was a great book and by leaving those strings untied it gives us something to discuss!

"You want weapons? We're in a library. Books! Best weapons in the world!" --David Tennant "Doctor Who"

http://janasbooklist.blogspot.com
Contributor
JennM14

This was my first time in the First Look so I had no idea there was a schedule to follow (oops)  and so I read all the way through.  Truth be told I probably would have anyway, I generally read a book through in as close to one sitting as possible.  I have issues like that lol

OK, so call me crazy, but I totally thought at the end she was going to 'right things' enough to be saved.  And I did also think/wish that if she was going to have to die,  she'd have one night with Kent first LOL I am sappy that way.  

So I cried a lot during the last chapter of this book.  And then when I was finished I really couldn't stop thinking about it.  So many parts of it...  The High School social aspect, the pressure to be popular, makes me scared for my kids as they grow up.  I remember all too well what it was like and I think now things are only worse. 

And I could not stop thinking about the ones Sam left behind, in trying to help Juliet ... will there only be more problems for her now?  Survivors guilt on top of her other issues and as someone else mentioned how will the other girls treat her now?  In an ideal world they would learn from this and change BUT I see them blaming Juliet for Sam's death and the possibility of them being even more cruel to her. 

ALSO, I wonder will people assume SAM intended to kill herself?? When you look at the change in her behavior/personality that day, the things she said to Kent, her friends, her family; she was clearly saying goodbye and preparing to leave.  ONce they start the piece all of that together I think it will look like a suicide!

Ugh and poor Kent, so close to having love. :-( and instead having to watch her die.  My heart breaks.

Ultimately yes the ending imo was very sad and I am not a sad ending kind of girl BUT I have to say that I would recommend it strongly!  I am so glad I stuck with it after having a really hard time with the beginning.  It is a must read, eye opener for teens and parents!  I think I still haven't fully digested it yet :-)

Reader 4
Erin_H

Ok so I ended up reading the entire book the weekend before the discussion started. I do have a few excuses though 1.) This is my first time participating in the First Look book club and I had no idea there was even a schedule and 2.) Even if I'd have known there was a schedule before hand I probably wouldn't have followed it. You see I have this problem with book and taking my time to digest them. I just can't do it, I have to read until I am satisfied and that is usually when I finish the book! So I apologize :smileyhappy:

Now with all that said I have to say I appreciate the way the book ended. Yes I cried and I was sad but without the ending that was given to us I don't think the book would have made as much of an impact. The ending as it is now has everyone thinking about this book long after they've finished it. And people are thinking about it for lots of different reasons. A different happier ending could have possibly worked but I don't think it would have fit as well. Sam's journey and her change as a character made the ending happy in its own way. Sam was able to redeem herself and save someone in the process of her death. When I started the book I never thought that there would be a way to redeem herself enough that she wouldn't die at all. I assumed that this was her time to die and that her death would always be the outcome. I also assumed that her death would be the same no matter what and the story was all about realizing who she was as a person and seeing the error in her ways. I was pleasantly surprised that she was able to change the way she died and that she was able to save Juliet.

The whole storyline with Sam and Kent completely broke my heart. That whole situation really isn't fair but isn't that the point? We have all been taught that life isn't fair and that sometimes we don't realize how precious someone or something is until we can't have them or it anymore. It's a life lesson.

Like JennM14 I can't help but wonder what the aftermath of Sam's death would be like. Would Sam's friends blame Juliet? Would Juliet feel guilt over the fact that Sam died saving her? And would that guilt push Juliet over the edge again? And I also wonder if Sam's changed behavior on that last day would cause people to think that she committed suicide. A good point that I didn't even think about until JennM14 brought it up. Good observation Jenn.

After reading this book I thought a lot about Juliet. I compared myself to her and what my high school life was like compared to hers. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was teased a lot (mostly in middle school and a little in high school) because it made me who I am today and I love who I am. I've been wondering what made me so different and why I was able to overcome the teasing. I think a big a factor of that was my family life. I wonder if Juliet's home life would have been different would her reaction to the teasing have been different as well. I really think this book would be a good one to get discussions started between teens and their parents.

Frequent Contributor
Rebz
0 Kudos

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one. As soon as I started reading it, sticking to the schedule didn't even cross my mind. I tore through this book..I don't think I'd have been able to stand not finishing it immediately. The suspense would have drove me CRAZY

-Becca