Reply
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

 

Official predictions? This thread is absolutely only for those of us who have not read a page past chapter 6 this week! How do you see February 12th coming to a conclusion?

 

Will Sam get it right?

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

What a hard place to make us stop. I did stop and plan on reading and posting for a couple days before finishing the book.

 

I feel all this pressure put on Sam to get everything right, make all the right choices, help all the right people, not hurt anyone, etc. How can we as readers expect so much from Sam? Sam is trying so hard to get it all perfect. I give here a lot of credit, but one day isn't enough. So I predict on her last day, she will find that she is good inside, make better choices for herself and her actions to others on that last day. I think that is how Sam will help others on that last day. I hope Sam comes to realize she can't change everything and that some people won't change.

pen21

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎11-21-2008

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

A large part of me believes that the message will not hit home unless Sam can't change anything and in the end she still dies on Feb 12th and there is never a Feb 13th for her. After all, real life doesn't provide do-overs if you die to allow you to get it right another time around.

There's also part of me that doesn't believe Sam will change if she does succeed. Sure, she'll be a good person for awhile, but I believe that as long as she counts Lindsey, et al as her friends, she will slip back in to mean girl behavior like nothing ever happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

For a few hours I thought I was the only one that hadn't finished the book.

Thanks for not leaving me alone. pen21

 


Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

A large part of me believes that the message will not hit home unless Sam can't change anything and in the end she still dies on Feb 12th and there is never a Feb 13th for her. After all, real life doesn't provide do-overs if you die to allow you to get it right another time around.

There's also part of me that doesn't believe Sam will change if she does succeed. Sure, she'll be a good person for awhile, but I believe that as long as she counts Lindsey, et al as her friends, she will slip back in to mean girl behavior like nothing ever happened.


 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎11-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

Glad I can help out Pen21! I'm bad at censoring myself, and have way too much going on to try and remember what happens in what chapters, so I find it so much easier to stick with the reading schedule. Then I never have to worry about it.

I will say that it was difficult when I reached the end of Chapter 6 to not continue on, but my lunch break ended so I was forced to close BIF whether I wanted to or not. :smileyhappy:

 

 


pen21 wrote:

For a few hours I thought I was the only one that hadn't finished the book.

Thanks for not leaving me alone. pen21

 


Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

A large part of me believes that the message will not hit home unless Sam can't change anything and in the end she still dies on Feb 12th and there is never a Feb 13th for her. After all, real life doesn't provide do-overs if you die to allow you to get it right another time around.

There's also part of me that doesn't believe Sam will change if she does succeed. Sure, she'll be a good person for awhile, but I believe that as long as she counts Lindsey, et al as her friends, she will slip back in to mean girl behavior like nothing ever happened.


 

 


 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm
Posts: 255
Registered: ‎03-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

I have to think that she MUST get it right this time. She keeps coming so close, and it's the las day, so yes, she'll finally do her day the right way.

team GALE, anyone?
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
Posts: 257
Registered: ‎01-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

I believe she will get it right this time , but she will have to sacrifice herself in order for the others to win , so it ll be the hardest day of all because now she knows she must do what she must in order to save all of her friends and leave a mark on the world

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Wordsmith
kpatton
Posts: 206
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

 

Rachel,  I love that you have a thread for those who couldn't stop themselves and a thread for those of us who have stuck to the schedule.  You have no idea how difficult it was for me last night to quit at the end of chapter 6!  I don't need a book to have a happy ending.  Juliet's life is at such a low point that I'm not sure there is anything Sam or anyone else could do for her.  I am however having a very difficult time believing that Sam will really die.  She is making so many discoveries about herself and her friends that could truely make all of their lives better.  I'm not sure she could have the same impact long term on Lindsey, Ally, Elody and Kent if she dies.  Young people dieing is such a waste!  Kathy

Rachel-K wrote:

 

Official predictions? This thread is absolutely only for those of us who have not read a page past chapter 6 this week! How do you see February 12th coming to a conclusion?

 

Will Sam get it right?

 

 


 

 

Wordsmith
kpatton
Posts: 206
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

 

To a couple of my fellow "stick to the schedule" readers- I think I am going to have to go ahead and finish.  I have my book club on Thursday and one of my friends has two daughters in this age range.  I definitely want to pass this book on to her.  Are you still holding out?  Kathy

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

Glad I can help out Pen21! I'm bad at censoring myself, and have way too much going on to try and remember what happens in what chapters, so I find it so much easier to stick with the reading schedule. Then I never have to worry about it.

I will say that it was difficult when I reached the end of Chapter 6 to not continue on, but my lunch break ended so I was forced to close BIF whether I wanted to or not. :smileyhappy:

 

 


pen21 wrote:

For a few hours I thought I was the only one that hadn't finished the book.

Thanks for not leaving me alone. pen21

 


Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

A large part of me believes that the message will not hit home unless Sam can't change anything and in the end she still dies on Feb 12th and there is never a Feb 13th for her. After all, real life doesn't provide do-overs if you die to allow you to get it right another time around.

There's also part of me that doesn't believe Sam will change if she does succeed. Sure, she'll be a good person for awhile, but I believe that as long as she counts Lindsey, et al as her friends, she will slip back in to mean girl behavior like nothing ever happened.


 

 


 


 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

I plan on finishing the book tomorrow evening. I want to start reading the other thread and see everyone's opinion. So I will be reading the end with you. See you on the other thread.

pen21

 


kpatton wrote:

 

To a couple of my fellow "stick to the schedule" readers- I think I am going to have to go ahead and finish.  I have my book club on Thursday and one of my friends has two daughters in this age range.  I definitely want to pass this book on to her.  Are you still holding out?  Kathy

 

Contributor
0104
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎01-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

I think that while Sam may make some of the right (whose is to really say if they are right or wrong, anyway) choices, however I feel she will still die... life is not full of happy endings and maybe this is a way to get a bit of closure.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

 I've done several of these clubs and sometimes I stick to the schedule and sometimes I read ahead. This time I've stayed with the schedule but it's been hard! I'm not sure what to expect because each time Sam has repeated this day it's been so different but she has learned something every time. I think she is the one who ultimately needs to grow and change. I don't think this story is really about the other people in her life. She needs to learn lessons and give of herself before February 12th ends and she moves on, although I'm not sure what direction that will be yet. 

 

I am going to have to finish this book soon because it's too good to put down anymore. I've really enjoyed it!

Contributor
mysticveil
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎01-06-2010

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

I have stuck very closely to the schedule. This is my first time doing one of these First Look opportunities.

I think that it is as much about Sam getting it right as it is about her changing the things that she does to other people. I think she has to change who she is and what she does so she can change some bad things that happen to other people.

 

I think that if she is able to achieve this, she can sort of pass on in peace and not linger reliving the same day over and over.

 

I think that Sam can do this.


I am really enjoying this book. It is so though-provoking.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I Have Steadfastly Adhered to the Schedule and These are My Official Predictions:

I think it was a good place to stop and think about the book and everything that was going on, before finishing that last chapter. I am glad I did it that way too. pen21

 


mysticveil wrote:

I have stuck very closely to the schedule. This is my first time doing one of these First Look opportunities.

I think that it is as much about Sam getting it right as it is about her changing the things that she does to other people. I think she has to change who she is and what she does so she can change some bad things that happen to other people.

 

I think that if she is able to achieve this, she can sort of pass on in peace and not linger reliving the same day over and over.

 

I think that Sam can do this.


I am really enjoying this book. It is so though-provoking.